Archive through January 01, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through January 01, 2006 « Previous Next »

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So what are we looking for, a 5th king?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:37 pm:

Something about the CD, though I canít say I understand it. The doorkeeper was almost going to take it before, but he didnít. Perhaps it was not intended for him...

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:39 pm:

So what are we looking for, a 5th king? we have four olden kings - David, Charlemagne, Caesar and Alexander from the pack of French playing cards. All we need is a fifth, or some representation of a fifth...
Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps the suit of armor, if it has the proper coronet soldered to the helm?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:48 pm:

Perhaps the suit of armor, if it has the proper coronet soldered to the helm? I'm afraid I can find no royal markings on the suit of armour.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could this be the CD that has the recording of King Canute engaged in a battle of wills with the ocean?
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what about the bust of Henri - do we still have that?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:55 pm:

Could this be the CD that has the recording of King Canute engaged in a battle of wills with the ocean? It doesn't sound like tides refusing to be driven back by royal command. For a start, there aren't any royal commands.

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 07:57 pm:

what about the bust of Henri - do we still have that? We don't - we gave it to the third doorkeeper. But...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can we borrow the original from the doorkeeper from in room 3 and make an impression using beeswax or cheese?

Or maybe we can just give it to the current doorkeper?

Or do we need to barter?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:34 pm:

Can we borrow the original from the doorkeeper from in room 3 and make an impression using beeswax or cheese?

Or maybe we can just give it to the current doorkeper?

Or do we need to barter? Well, let us see...

I return to the third room, where the doorkeeper is sitting reading a letter. A French Pyrenean sheepdog lies at the doorkeeper's feet, both dog and man in a state of abject despondency. Wrapping paper litters the floor. A bust of King Henri I of France and a photograph of the 2003 Arsenal football team are among the debris.

The doorkeeper looks up. "My true love sent them back", he says dolefully. "This letter... she's met a bloke who keeps sending her poultry... she says she hopes we can still be friends..."

His words die away into a kind of strangled sob. Unwilling to intrude on private grief, I pick up the bust and return to the fifth room, where I hand the bust and the four kings from the French pack to the doorkeeper. "Here you are", I say. "Five olden kings."

"Excellent!" cries the doorkeeper. "Just what I need. Proceed, my dear fellow!"

He opens the door, and I walk into...
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A room?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait, don't tell me - let me guess: a room! with a doorman!
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right, down to business - how about trying six cheeses swaying for the next doorkeeper?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:02 pm:

A room?

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:03 pm:

Wait, don't tell me - let me guess: a room! with a doorman!

...a field. But console yourselves with the thought that your ratio of successful to unsuccessful guesses in 2006 cannot possibly get any worse.

This is a grassy meadow, surrounded on three sides by a high wall. At the far side of the meadow from where I stand is a river, with a bridge across it. The bridge appears to be guarded by a large troll.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:14 pm:

Right, down to business - how about trying six cheeses swaying for the next doorkeeper? Well, we can certainly acquire six cheeses. Do you have any ideas as to how to make them sway?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you make one of those desk games that were popular a few years back that were supposed to demonstrate perpetual motion? Instead of balls of steel make them cheese balls. I'm sure a troll would love it...
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you take the threes out of your pack of cards, plus the jokers, and place them in front of the troll as if to make a meld? And see how impressed (or otherwise) he is by six threes a-playing?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps Daisy and Diego would appreciate grazing on some fresh grass, so could you allow them both to have a nibble in the meadow?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:58 pm:

Could you make one of those desk games that were popular a few years back that were supposed to demonstrate perpetual motion? Instead of balls of steel make them cheese balls. I'm sure a troll would love it...

Well, let me see...

There are some trees in the field. It is a matter of moments to cut off a branch with the axe and, using the cheese knife, to fashion a frame. It is as well that I took the perpetual-motion-machine-making badge along with oriental rugs when I was a Scout.

I cut six identical balls of cheese from the Gouda, and string them to the frame with the gold thread spun by Rumpelstiltskin. I take the finished contraption to the troll.

He pushes one of the cheese balls. It strikes the second with a dull thud, and sticks to it. The other cheese balls do not move. The troll looks at me.

"You idiot", he says - a phrase I seem to have heard a lot recently.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you make an Australian style hat out of Rumplestiltskin's thread and hang the cheeses from it?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:01 pm:

Could you take the threes out of your pack of cards, plus the jokers, and place them in front of the troll as if to make a meld? And see how impressed (or otherwise) he is by six threes a-playing? Not very. You see, he knows the rules of Canasta, which do not allow threes to be melded.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:04 pm:

Perhaps Daisy and Diego would appreciate grazing on some fresh grass, so could you allow them both to have a nibble in the meadow? They seem to have gone ahead without waiting for permission - somewhat surprisingly, after all that straw Daisy ate in the fourth room. Perhaps it was Chinese straw.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you cut up your branch a bit more, suit up and get the beehive as before, persuade Rumpelstilskin to join you in a few moments' devotions, and thereby assemble sticks, bees, us praying?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:11 pm:

Could you make an Australian style hat out of Rumpelstiltskin's thread and hang the cheeses from it? I think I had better get Rumpelstiltskin to do this - I did not have time for the Australian-hat-making badge.

The dwarf, eager as ever to assist, whips out a needle from his tunic and sets to work on the thread. Before long, a fine golden bush hat with six balls of cheese suspended from the brim is ready to be presented to the troll.

He inspects it from all angles, then with a disgusted snort throws it in the river. "I'm not giving my true love that", he says. "She only wears Kangol." Presumably this is some other dwarf.