Archive through January 02, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through January 02, 2006 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:18 pm:

Can you cut up your branch a bit more, suit up and get the beehive as before, persuade Rumpelstilskin to join you in a few moments' devotions, and thereby assemble sticks, bees, us praying? I have done as you suggest. The troll, who appears to me a shingle short on the roof of life, studies this unlikely tableau for a moment before turning on his heel and stalking back into his hut, which stands beside the bridge.
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might Diego's wool be considered fleece?

If not (or even if so), you could collect six bees from the hive and release them in front of the troll, and hopefully you will have six bees awaying.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How are your woodcraft skills? A neat little toy sledge for thick cheese a sleighing?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been wondering about Diego's wool too, particularly its thickness... if you could perhaps employ the sack and the knife again, get the rest of the wool off in once piece, retrieve poor sad Henri from the poor sad third doorkeeper, wait until it is night and a full moon has appeared, and present the troll with thick fleece, much baying?

In the unlikely event that this does not fetch, are you adept at any slight-of-hand involving cards?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:39 pm:

Might Diego's wool be considered fleece? It most certainly might.

If not (or even if so), you could collect six bees from the hive and release them in front of the troll, and hopefully you will have six bees awaying. It is a bit difficult collecting precisely six bees with these gauntlets on, but I think I have managed it.

I release them in front of the troll, hoping they will not sting him and cause him to bash me over the head with the large wooden club he seems to have fetched from his hut. But the bees react to the troll as to the other doorkeepers - as one, they retreat into the hive.

"What was all that about?" demands the troll.

"That was six bees awaying" I inform him.

"Away is an adverb" he says. "You can't use it as a verb. Not even Spenser used it as a verb, and he was the greatest mangler of the English language that ever lived until... you're not an American, are you?" he asks, hefting his club in a somewhat alarming fashion.

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:46 pm:

How are your woodcraft skills? Adequate A neat little toy sledge for thick cheese a sleighing? I have fashioned the neatest little toy sledge you ever did see, placed therein a veritable doorstep of Wensleydale, and made a harness out of gold thread. I have fastened it to the sheepdog's neck and shouted "Mush!" in my most imperious tone. The dog has taken off in the general direction of the horizon.

"Not bad", says the troll. "Not right, but not bad."

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:47 pm:

I have been wondering about Diego's wool too, particularly its thickness... if you could perhaps employ the sack and the knife again, get the rest of the wool off in once piece, retrieve poor sad Henri from the poor sad third doorkeeper Henri accompanied me from the third room in any case, leaving the poor doorkeeper alone with his unrequited passion. wait until it is night and a full moon has appeared, and present the troll with thick fleece, much baying? A few ounces of wool for making purple gloves is one thing. But it is cold in this field, and I'm not going to leave Diego without his winter coat, even if it means I have to stay here till Michaelmas.

In the unlikely event that this does not fetch, are you adept at any slight-of-hand involving cards? Of course. I am a bridge player. What did you have in mind?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about:

six bees a sleighing?
thick greaves a sleighing?
six cheese decaying?

Is it worthwhile playing cards with the doorkeepers and making a few tricks?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

six bees a praying?
six bees obeying?
thick grease a straying?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am really sorry. I didn't know it was cold, and would never have suggested that you let poor Diego freeze. :(

I am a bridge player. What did you have in mind?

Well, tricks, for starters, but there is an idea; perhaps they don't have to be magic tricks. Could you engage the dwarf in a game of euchre, and present the following treat for the troll's eyes: Tricks: geezers playing.

Or back to the magic -- put on a show in order to create tricks he's displaying?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:20 am:

How about:

six bees a sleighing? It's all I can do to pick the bees up at all. I'm pretty sure I could not persuade them to remain in a sleigh being pulled around a field by a sheepdog.
thick greaves a sleighing? Ingenious, but I am afraid that if I hand over part of my armour to the doorkeeper, I will not be able to do anything with the beehive later on. And I have the impression that this may be a mistake.
six cheese decaying? Interesting thought, but I don't think the troll wants to send his true love a load of rotten cheese. I mean, would you?

Is it worthwhile playing cards with the doorkeepers and making a few tricks? The doorkeepers don't seem to take kindly to this idea, especially the one who was cheating at cribbage.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:25 am:

six bees a praying?
six bees obeying?
thick grease a straying? None of these. But good thinking, as always :)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:25 am:

I am really sorry. I didn't know it was cold, and would never have suggested that you let poor Diego freeze. No harm done :)

Well, tricks, for starters, but there is an idea; perhaps they don't have to be magic tricks. Could you engage the dwarf in a game of euchre, and present the following treat for the troll's eyes: Tricks: geezers playing. I have done as you suggest. The troll seems to treat this suggestion with more respect than any of the previous ones, though eventually he shakes his head. "But", he says, "you're not a million miles from the right forest..."

Or back to the magic -- put on a show in order to create tricks he's displaying? "I hate card tricks" says the troll. And I remember what my dear old Daddy told me - never eat at a place called Mom's, and never show card tricks to a troll with a heavy club. I thought at the time that the first was the reason he didn't come home to lunch, but I did not understand the second until now.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh no!!! I hope you are not too badly injured!!! :(
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about giving the troll an invitation to a pub of your choice where he can watch thick geezers playing?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:40 am:

Oh no!!! I hope you are not too badly injured!!! I am perfectly OK, thank you. This is a pretty good suit of armour.

By Lynne (Lynne) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:42 am:

How about giving the troll an invitation to a pub of your choice where he can watch thick geezers playing? Are you suggesting that I am in the habit of frequenting pubs patronised by thick geezers?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I said a pub of your choice, not a pub of your patronage - necessarily :O
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:50 am:

I said a pub of your choice, not a pub of your patronage - necessarily In that case, I will suggest it to the troll, who remarks that there will be plenty of time for going down the pub after we have got his Christmas present sorted out.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about tickets to see quick geezers sleighing in bob's sleigh (who's Bob?)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 01:08 am:

How about tickets to see quick geezers sleighing in bob's sleigh Nice idea, but there isn't a ticket office in this field, and I omitted to take the ticket-forging badge in the Scouts (who's Bob?) A multiple schizophrenic known variously as "two-man Bob" or "four-man Bob" depending on whether the medication's working
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's still a CD, right?

Disc geezer playing?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 01:28 am:

There's still a CD, right? There is indeed, and there is a CD to go with it...

Disc geezer playing? Not quite
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Disc/s wheezes playing?
Disc/s cheeses sleighing?
Disc/s bees a sleighing?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the sounds on the CD only watery sounds, or are there breezes too?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 09:44 am:

Disc/s wheezes playing?
Disc/s cheeses sleighing?
Disc/s bees a sleighing? None of these, I'm afraid

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 09:47 am:

Are the sounds on the CD only watery sounds, They are mostly watery sounds. Simon asked a useful question about them here, answered on December 27th at 3.04 am or are there breezes too? Not that I can discern
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you try playing the CD to the Troll and also to Rumpelstiltskin and report the effects?