Archive through January 02, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through January 02, 2006 « Previous Next »

Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Six geysers spraying?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:25 am:

Could you try playing the CD to the Troll and also to Rumpelstiltskin and report the effects? Rumpelstiltskin, who has heard it before, seems unmoved. But the troll claps his hands in delight. "That's it!" he cries. "You see, my true love and I come from Iceland, and she gets terribly homesick, so this will be just what she needs to remind her of home."

He seizes the stereo system and the CD (which is, of course, a recording of six geysers playing) and capers across the bridge. It seems that I am free to follow at my leisure, but perhaps...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:48 am:

Six geysers spraying? you and Buzz Aldrin :)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before crossing the bridge, I decide that I might as well have a look inside the troll's hut, where I find:

A laptop computer, whose screen displays a number of email messages to various newsgroups. These seem of a somewhat inflammatory nature - I guess he really was a troll.

The complete works of Marcel Proust.

Another CD.

Leaving the hut, I take a stroll along the riverbank. I discover a nest among the bulrushes, which contains a number of small eggs.

I cross the bridge. There is a path on the other side, leading to the front door of a large building. The door opens automatically as I approach, and I enter to find myself in a shopping centre (I would refer to this as a mall, but I suspect that the troll may still be somewhere around with his club.

All manner of shops are here, but the place seems strangely deserted. There is a map on the wall, indicating that the only exit is some distance ahead of me.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you nicking the laptop?
Please could you try the CD in the laptop?
If not, try it in the stereo.

What can you learn from the map?
Can you enter the shops?
Are there any shops of special note?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 02:11 pm:

Are you nicking the laptop? One never knows what may come in useful. For the moment, I merely note its presence.
Please could you try the CD in the laptop? The CD does nothing when placed in the laptop
If not, try it in the stereo. and the troll has taken the stereo.

What can you learn from the map? The names and locations of the businesses in the centre.
Can you enter the shops? Most of them appear to be closed.
Are there any shops of special note? Among those that are open, however, are: a bureau de change, a hairdresser's, a second-hand bookshop, and an ice-cream parlour.
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the shops open? Are there any salespeople inside? customers?
Too bad that the troll took the stereo system. Maybe there is an electronics store around where you could nick borrow one? or at least play the CD?
Hopefully, listening to the CD will give us some inspiration.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ostap Bender (Ostap) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 02:19 pm:

Are the shops open? There is a person behind the counter at the bureau de change. The hairdresser's is remarkably busy - nine or ten barbers are cutting the hair of an assortment of customers. The second-hand bookshop has a door that rings a bell when I push it open, but no one comes. The ice-cream parlour's only customer is the third doorkeeper, who is staring moodily into a half-eaten mango sorbet. Are there any salespeople inside? customers?
Too bad that the troll took the stereo system. Maybe there is an electronics store around where you could nick borrow one? There is an electronics store across from the ice-cream parlour, but it is closed. or at least play the CD?
Hopefully, listening to the CD will give us some inspiration. It might very well do so, if I can work out a way to do it.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try and sell the Complete works of Proust to the second hand book store.
If you can't get any cash, is there anything useful that we could swap it for?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 02:37 pm:

Try and sell the Complete works of Proust to the second hand book store. An admirable suggestion. I will go back into the bookstore once more. This time, I bang the door behind me and call "Shop!"

Eventually, an old man appears from the back of the store. He wishes me a good afternoon, and asks how he may be of service. This is a refreshing change from being called an idiot the whole time, so I offer him the books I have take from the troll's hut.

"Ah, yes" he says. "Some very fine editions here. Let me see - all seven volumes of A la Recherche du Temps Perdu..."

He begins mumbling the titles to himself as he pores over each book. "Du côté de chez Swann... À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleur... absolute masterpieces, all... and the later works... Contre Sainte-Beuve, not very well-known at all, that one..."

Finally, he looks up. "Are you sure you want to part with all of these?" he asks. "I could give you a very handsome price, for these are in excellent condition. But if you're just short of a little money, perhaps you might consider keeping some back."

If you can't get any cash, is there anything useful that we could swap it for? The bookseller seems quite happy to part with some cash, once I am sure I wish to trade.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A badly translated page regarding Du côté de chez Swann says "Side from Swann is the first part of the novel To the research of wasted time". Another page talks of it being in search of lost time.

Are we wasting time with Proust's books? Have we lost a lot of time in this search for suitable gifts?

Could you find a photocopier in one of the shops in order to get seven Swanns?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 03:10 pm:

A badly translated page regarding Du côté de chez Swann says "Side from Swann is the first part of the novel To the research of wasted time". Cracking stuff :) The title of the first volume is usually translated as "Swann's Way", and that of the entire work as "Remembrance of Things Past", but I prefer your page's versions. Another page talks of it being in search of lost time. How prosaic. Just because that's what the words actually mean...

Are we wasting time with Proust's books? I do not believe so. Have we lost a lot of time in this search for suitable gifts? Of course, but we do that every year.

Could you find a photocopier in one of the shops in order to get seven Swanns? We could try, I suppose, but I am not sure where we would start. The bookseller does not have a photocopier, and I'm not hopeful that the ice-cream parlour or the hairdresser's will either.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Lynne

Exactly how many eggs in that nest?
Do you suppose they could be swans eggs?
If so, perhaps we could hatch them?

Is there anybody about called Sven?

Do you think we could sell the remaining books to the dealer? Or would it still be prudent to hold (some) back?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thinking ... Sylvan _____________,

Sylvan Swans a swimming? (that way we're not tied to the number 7 if the eggs are indeed ugly duckling eggs.)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 03:38 pm:

Exactly how many eggs in that nest? exactly fourteen
Do you suppose they could be swans eggs? I think they may be a little small to be swans' eggs, but I am not sure.
If so, perhaps we could hatch them? Perhaps...

Is there anybody about called Sven? The bookseller is called Albert. I am not going to ask the third doorkeeper what he is called, because he is rather depressing company at the moment, but he does not look like a Sven to me. More a sort of Nigel, if you see what I mean.

Do you think we could sell the remaining books to the dealer? He's happy to buy whatever we have to offer Or would it still be prudent to hold (some) back? but if we are to adopt Lynne's suggestion, we had at least better hang on to Du côté de chez Swann. Of course, the bookseller won't offer us nearly as much money for an incomplete set of Recherche.

Since I don't think the other works are any use, though, I sell them to Albert, who gives me the princely sum of £750 for them.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 03:49 pm:

thinking ... Sylvan _____________,

Sylvan Swans a swimming? (that way we're not tied to the number 7 if the eggs are indeed ugly duckling eggs.) Very fine thinking indeed :) But the eggs were found by the riverbank, so I imagine they would be classed as riparian rather than sylvan.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you think that he will want some other swans other than a copy of Proust's book?

Could you ask the bookseller if he has a copy of The Six Swans by Jacob Ludwig Grimm and Wilhelm Carl Grimm?
Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm thinking that "________ ________ a'trimming" might come into play considering all of the activity at the hairdressers, but can't think exactly how.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 05:37 pm:

Do you think that he will want some other swans other than a copy of Proust's book? I'm not sure who "he" is at the moment. But there's probably someone guarding the exit. There usually is.

Could you ask the bookseller if he has a copy of The Six Swans by Jacob Ludwig Grimm and Wilhelm Carl Grimm? "Certainly", says Albert. "That will be £600, please."
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu) on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 05:47 pm:

I'm thinking that "________ ________ a'trimming" might come into play considering all of the activity at the hairdressers, but can't think exactly how. well, we could always investigate the hairdresser's if you like...
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point - you don't know who will be your next doorkeeper, tollbooth operative, whatever. Could 'he' in fact be a 'she' or perhaps more than one 'she'?

With the two books - you have enough money to buy Six Swans by the Chuckle Brothers, sorry Brothers Grimm, with enough left over to have your hair cut, beard trimmed and a mango sorbet each for you and Albert (if you so wish) - and tada you'd have seven swans for women.
Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu)
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Let's investigate the hairdreser's and the exit. ^_^