Archive through January 04, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through January 04, 2006 « Previous Next »

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So what situation do you find yourself in now David?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops - you were writing

Anybody else finding the forum itself incredibly slow? Each posting takes ages to get through. It's the only site that's like it at the moment. Today, it has taken a while for "Post this Message" to respond. And the forum clock is slower than it was when I posted a puzzle about it. But if this is because it's had eight or more pints in celebration of the New Year, I would be the last to blame it.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm opening a book on this going to 30 archives...
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you offering a spread? I'd be willing to buy at 25 at least, not so sure about 30...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:48 am:

So what situation do you find yourself in now David? The usual, I fear. Here I am in a room with a doorkeeper at the only exit. The room contains nothing else whatsoever.

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 01:01 am:

I'm opening a book on this going to 30 archives... You underestimate your own ingenuity. Either that, or you overestimate mine :)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 01:27 am:

Are you offering a spread? I'd be willing to buy at 25 at least, not so sure about 30... Let us march, then, until an impure blood irrigates our furrows. Or something like that.
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go say hello to the doorkeeper, and ask him his name. Anything special you notice about the doorkeeper?

What have you brought with you to this room?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Daisy ready for milking yet?
(whether she is or not, I'm beginning to smell fish ;-))
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tommy Petersson (Tommyp) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 08:49 am:

Go say hello to the doorkeeper, and ask him his name. I have done so. His name is Seymour. Anything special you notice about the doorkeeper? He does not seem all that different from the other doorkeepers I have encountered, except that he is neither a troll nor a Valkyrie.

What have you brought with you to this room? I am accompanied as usual by Daisy the cow, Diego the sheep, Henri the dog, and Rumpelstiltksin the dwarf. But anything that I have encountered on my travels so far, other than things I have given to the doorkeepers, is still available to me.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 01:05 pm:

Is Daisy ready for milking yet? I am no expert in such matters, but she may very well be :)
(whether she is or not, I'm beginning to smell fish ;-)) I am not sure whence this odour emanates. The second doorkeeper ate the king prawn chow mein some time ago, the aquarium is a long way away, and I observed no fish in the river. Still, you may be right...
Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could we try giving Seymour the 8 of spades and see what he says?
Tony (E20)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I'm late getting here ... got held up in the Christmas traffic, and by the time I reached the shopping-mall, the January sales had started, and it took a while to get through the crowd.

I seem to recall you encountered a milking stool earlier .. and you've got that bucket with a repaired hole. Milking with gauntlets won't be much fun for you or Daisy, but perhaps you could persuade Val to sit on the stool and milk Daisy. Then use your origami skills to fashion a cup from one of the playing cards ... and you'd have the eight of spades with milk in.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:37 pm:

Could we try giving Seymour the 8 of spades and see what he says? He says thank you. But he makes no move to open the door.

By Tony (E20) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:52 pm:

Sorry I'm late getting here ... got held up in the Christmas traffic, and by the time I reached the shopping-mall, the January sales had started, and it took a while to get through the crowd. That's all right. Glad you could make it.

I seem to recall you encountered a milking stool earlier .. and you've got that bucket with a repaired hole. Milking with gauntlets won't be much fun for you or Daisy, but perhaps you could persuade Val to sit on the stool and milk Daisy. Then use your origami skills to fashion a cup from one of the playing cards ... and you'd have the eight of spades with milk in. Indeed :) But Val has not accompanied me into this room. Besides, I don't think warrior maidens go in for farm labour, somehow.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mean we have to top THAT?? :) I thought you'd be through, for sure.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:43 pm:

You mean we have to top THAT?? well, not if you don't want to :) I thought you'd be through, for sure. I'm sure I will be soon.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can Rumplestilskin spin silk?
Eight braids with silk in?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:59 pm:

Can Rumplestilskin spin silk? He can, unfortunately, only spin gold...
Eight braids with silk in? ...but good thinking :)
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, raid the nearest doorstep and clatter those bottles:

Eight gold tops a spinning? :O
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may need a time machine to find them...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:06 am:

OK, raid the nearest doorstep and clatter those bottles:

Eight gold tops a spinning? Not sure that these even exist any more. They have those blasted cartons that I can't open without the milk going all over the kitchen.

By Lynne (Lynne) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:07 am:

You may need a time machine to find them... indeed :)
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little dwarf is trying to get your attention. He's proud of his new autobiography. Not so proud of his scanning skills...

Great Raids of Rumplestiltskin
Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[don't know if the site is running slow or something happened when i tried to post. Sorry if this is up twice:)]

Let's try giving him the dwarfish axe, if he seems interested, maybe we can find him seven more blades.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:28 am:

A little dwarf is trying to get your attention. He's proud of his new autobiography. Not so proud of his scanning skills...

Great Raids of Rumplestiltskin A splendid suggestion :) A wrong suggestion, as it happens, but no less splendid for that.

By Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:28 am:

[don't know if the site is running slow or something happened when i tried to post. Sorry if this is up twice] There have been a few minor problems over the past couple of days with slow response times. I think the mods are on the case, though.

Let's try giving him the dwarfish axe, if he seems interested, maybe we can find him seven more blades. "You'd better hang on to that axe", he says. "You never know when it might come in useful."
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure that I can top Tony's "eight of spades with milk in", but lets crack on..

I suppose if the eight of spades were to become animated in Lewis Carrol fashion, then we could have the "Eight of Spades a milking".
I don't suppose there is any liklihood of the eight of spades coming to life (even in this puzzle)?
Just in case, could you take a look at the spade suit and check to see if there is anything promising among the ranks?

How about cracking open the eggs?
Is there anybody around who can milk Daisy for us?
Does the Valkyrie have any mates around, that could perhaps join us?
What size are the Wellington boots?
Do they fit you?
Could you take a wade in the river (take the bucket) and see what you can find?

Are we still in contact with the shopping centre and the shopkeepers?