Archive through January 05, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through January 05, 2006 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 06:18 am:

I'm not sure that I can top Tony's "eight of spades with milk in", but lets crack on.. That's the spirit :)

I suppose if the eight of spades were to become animated in Lewis Carrol fashion, then we could have the "Eight of Spades a milking". Good idea, but...
I don't suppose there is any liklihood of the eight of spades coming to life (even in this puzzle)? ...the eight of spades will, I am afraid, remain inanimate for the duration
Just in case, could you take a look at the spade suit and check to see if there is anything promising among the ranks? The spade suit, like the other suits, contains the usual cards from ace to deuce. We have, of course, given the king to the fifth doorkeeper.

How about cracking open the eggs? I have tried one of them. It appears to contain an embryonic snake. I am not sure that it would be wise to open any more.
Is there anybody around who can milk Daisy for us? Not at present, as far as I can tell.
Does the Valkyrie have any mates around, that could perhaps join us? No.
What size are the Wellington boots? Eight and a half.
Do they fit you? Yes.
Could you take a wade in the river (take the bucket) and see what you can find? I have done so, but I am afraid that I have found nothing of interest, unless you are interested in mud.

Are we still in contact with the shopping centre and the shopkeepers? We can return to the shopping centre - or anywhere else - at any time.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An inventory of the things available to us may help at this point. We have at our disposal:

A beehive, complete with bees.

A shotgun, now dismantled.

A cheeseboard with a wide variety of cheeses.

A cheese knife.

A pure-bred Guernsey cow named Daisy.

A pack of French playing cards from which the kings have been removed.

An Argentine Merino sheep named Diego.

The Windows XP Professional installation disk, now plugging the hole in a bucket.

An aquarium.

A telephone.

A calendar promoting the Mandarin Star Chinese restaurant.

A French Pyrenean sheepdog named Henri.

A photograph of the 2003 Arsenal football team.

A suit of armour.

A computer keyboard.

An old rusty bucket, now repaired with the Windows XP disk and some Camembert cheese.

A spinning wheel.

A three-legged stool.

A pair of Wellington boots.

A ladder.

Straw.

Gold thread.

A laptop computer.

Another CD, as yet unidentified.

A dwarvish axe.

A large sack.

We are accompanied by a once-vicious but now helpful dwarf named Rumpelstiltskin, who can spin straw into gold. We are in the eighth location of the puzzle, and we are seeking eight maids a-milking or some approximation thereto.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you identify the other CD please?
Could you name the members of the football team?
What sort of phone is it? Landline, mobile? Is it a snazzy new one with a camera built in? Is it a bit of brick like mine? (Although I find it cool to call it Retro)
Are you still wearing the gauntlets?
Could you milk Daisy yourself?
How many rungs does the ladder have?
Does the aquarium contain fish?
If so, common or garden goldfish, or something a bit more exotic?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have a bucket of that river water with mud you could drop in the Queens from the pack of cards and have "Great Ladies Silting"
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How friendly have you become with Rumpelstiltskin? Could you accurately describe him as your mate?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:13 pm:

Could you identify the other CD please? The trouble is that the only thing I have on which I could play the CD is the troll's laptop. At present, when I put the CD in the laptop nothing happens - as indeed it does when I try to do anything else with the laptop. I suspect that the troll may have rendered the operating system inoperable.
Could you name the members of the football team? I will do my best, though I do not know a whole lot about football. Let me see: Jens Lehmann, Sol Campbell, Kolo Touré, Patrick Viera, Thierry Henry, Gilberto Silva, Etame Lauren, Ashley Cole, Dennis Bergkamp, Roberto Pires, Philippe Senderos, Sylvain Wiltord.
What sort of phone is it? Landline, this one mobile? Is it a snazzy new one with a camera built in? On the contrary - it is a dial-up telephone of the kind now found only in Agatha Christie films. Is it a bit of brick like mine? (Although I find it cool to call it Retro)
Are you still wearing the gauntlets? No - I have decided to remove the suit of armour.
Could you milk Daisy yourself? I think that by now, she might let me do this.
How many rungs does the ladder have? Eleven and a half - it used to have twelve, but one of them is broken.
Does the aquarium contain fish? Yes.
If so, common or garden goldfish, or something a bit more exotic? Tropical fish, for the most part.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 08:43 pm:

If you have a bucket of that river water with mud you could drop in the Queens from the pack of cards and have "Great Ladies Silting" The doorkeeper commends yet another ingenious suggestion, but the door behind him remains firmly closed.

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 09:01 pm:

How friendly have you become with Rumpelstiltskin? We have lunch together. Or at least we would, if there were any lunch. Could you accurately describe him as your mate? I could, for svv of "mate".
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the XP CD off of the bucket and if it's still useable try to re-install windows.
Then check out the CD.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Rachel (Myth) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:22 pm:

Take the XP CD off of the bucket and if it's still useable try to re-install windows. A superb idea :) I have taken the Windows CD out of the bucket, cleaned off the Camembert, and reinstalled the operating system.
Then check out the CD. The CD appears to be a collection of music from operas and operettas. It includes excerpts from: Der Fliegende Hollander, La Boheme, Turandot, The Pirates of Penzance, Le Nozze di Figaro, Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg, Patience, The Magic Flute, Aida, Nabucco, and Un Ballo in Maschera.
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe "Eight Ladies Singing" on the opera CD, could be worth a try...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tommy Petersson (Tommyp) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:56 pm:

Maybe "Eight Ladies Singing" on the opera CD, could be worth a try... "You need", says the doorkeeper, "to be a little more specific..."
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any Stilton in your collection of cheeses?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:07 pm:

Is there any Stilton in your collection of cheeses? There is, now you mention it...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The CD offers: "Eight Maids a Lilting?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hereby propose Eight Spades and Stilton. And then I will promptly go to bed, so that at least I will be a well-rested idiot.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or "Eight Maidens Lilting"
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:25 pm:

The CD offers: "Eight Maids a Lilting?" The CD offers quite a lot of maids banging on in one way or another. Opera is like that.

The difficulty, however, is this: the fifth doorkeeper appears to have spoken for all his colleagues except (possibly) the Valkyrie when he correctly pointed out that Wagner is rubbish.

I have the impression that unless I can present the eighth doorkeeper not with the entire CD, but with certain appropriate extracts therefrom, I will not be allowed beyond the door. Fortunately, I have the capacity to edit the CD should I wish to do so... and you who have helped me thus far have the capacity to discover exactly what it is I should do, for you can determine which extracts may be relevant. Google at will :)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:26 pm:

I hereby propose Eight Spades and Stilton. Most ingenious :) Next year, I will make a Christmas puzzle based entirely on this kind of thing, for then (unlike now) I will know what I am doing. But take it from me (woubit, not the person in the room) that the deck of cards is, as far as this puzzle is concerned, entirely played out. And then I will promptly go to bed, so that at least I will be a well-rested idiot. And at most? :)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:26 pm:

Or "Eight Maidens Lilting" Indeed. But which eight?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I would forget la Boheme. Unless you find TB uplifting.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or perhaps you could have Eight Maidens Wilting. But then I haven't Googled enough.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:14 am:

Well I would forget la Boheme. Unless you find TB uplifting. I, on the other hand, would most decidedly not forget La Boheme...

By Lynne (Lynne) on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:15 am:

Or perhaps you could have Eight Maidens Wilting. But then I haven't Googled enough. You mean, I guess, that your questions so far are motivated by no endeavour... :)
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I meant was that the only subject matter that I know of the music in question is that la Boheme is about the love of a man for a woman dying of TB. Which is hardly lilting. I just don't know whether the other music is wilting or lilting yet. But given the lateness of the hour, any Googling will have to wait until the morrow tra la tra la
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:24 am:

All I meant was that the only subject matter that I know of the music in question is that la Boheme is about the love of a man for a woman dying of TB. Which is hardly lilting. Indeed not :) But as a source of milkmaids, La Boheme is perhaps unrivalled among the entire operatic canon. I just don't know whether the other music is wilting or lilting yet. But given the lateness of the hour, any Googling will have to wait until the morrow tra la tra la And that's what I mean when I say or I sing "Oh bother the flowers that bloom in the Spring"... Goodnight, Lynne :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tra La