[Lynne] Can you hear me Elmo? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Lynne] Can you hear me Elmo? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 06, 2006Simon Downham22 1-06-06  10:52 pm
Archive through January 07, 2006Lynne22 1-07-06  8:40 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A telephone directory in a broken telephone box?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 09:17 pm:

A telephone directory in a broken telephone box? no
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the phone directory somewhere, where there is no telephone?

Is the directory somewhere unusual / displaced?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:33 pm:

Is the phone directory somewhere, where there is no telephone? yope

Is the directory somewhere unusual / displaced? displaced is almost right
Robert Banfield (Robertino)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The phone directory is in a language other than the normal language for the country or district? I.e perhaps Urdu or Bengali in a British inner city area having a large immigrant population?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Robert Banfield (Robertino) on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:27 pm:

The phone directory is in a language other than the normal language for the country or district? I.e perhaps Urdu or Bengali in a British inner city area having a large immigrant population? Hi, I don't think we've met :) But no to your suggestions
Robert Banfield (Robertino)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lynne,

Well it usually takes a girl several hours to get round to saying "no" to my "suggestions" I'm either getting better at it, or much worse...

OK - question time: Does this have anything to do with the book "Night of the Beast", by Harry Shannon? Nope, I didn't think so.

We need to find out who "they" are, right? Religious group? Ambulance Crew?

The telephone directory has been misplaced: i.e. it's a directory for a place or region different to the one in which it is found or observed?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Robert Banfield (Robertino) on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 04:00 pm:

Hi Lynne,

Well it usually takes a girl several hours to get round to saying "no" to my "suggestions" I'm either getting better at it, or much worse... :O

OK - question time: Does this have anything to do with the book "Night of the Beast", by Harry Shannon? Nope, I didn't think so. no indeed

We need to find out who "they" are, right? Religious group? Ambulance Crew? only in general terms, and those suggestions are possible but unlikely and irrelevant even if they were

The telephone directory has been misplaced: i.e. it's a directory for a place or region different to the one in which it is found or observed? no, remember that the word displaced was only the closest option at the time
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the directory been lost?

Are the exact circumstances in which you saw it, relevant?
You saw it outside on the ground?

Was it:
in the countryside?
in the town?
within someones property?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 04:40 pm:

Has the directory been lost? no

Are the exact circumstances in which you saw it, relevant? yes
You saw it outside on the ground? yes

Was it:
in the countryside? no
in the town? yessish, but not too relevant
within someones property? YES
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the property belong to neighbours or people that you know?
Was the directory in their garden?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 08:44 pm:

Does the property belong to neighbours yessish if you can call people who live 100 yards away neighbours or people that you know? no
Was the directory in their garden? yessish
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these "neighbours" difficult to communicate with?
Are they unrerasonable? Antisocial?
Do they speak in a different tongue??
Does the property belong to them?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:19 pm:

Are these "neighbours" difficult to communicate with? only in one respect
Are they unrerasonable? Antisocial? I don't know them, so I don't know their personalities
Do they speak in a different tongue?? I doubt it
Does the property belong to them? possibly, possibly rented, but it's where they live, I presume
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't they have a phone?
Are they deaf / dumb?
Do they work nights?
Are they never in?

Good night Lynne
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:44 pm:

Don't they have a phone? I presume so
Are they deaf / dumb? doubt it
Do they work nights? possibly
Are they never in? ah, now there's the crux

Good night Lynne Good morning!
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good morning Lynne!

Don't they answer the phone?
Do they own it but not live there?

They are never in, so you can't communicate with them?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 08:25 am:

Good morning Lynne!

Don't they answer the phone? I've no idea
Do they own it but not live there? that's a distinct possibility

They are never in, so you can't communicate with them? on the right track...
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

answering machine/voicemail relevant? as in, they are never in but don't have a way for you to leave a message, either?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:28 am:

answering machine/voicemail relevant? no as in, they are never in this I wonder at but don't have a way for you to leave a message, either? but I don't know whether they have a machine so n/r
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the house empty?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 06:04 pm:

Is the house empty? YES
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have they moved?
You don't know their name?
So there is no way you can you can look them up in the book?
There is no way that you can access the directory, in the garden / driveway / patio?

Is there a known reason asto why the directory should be laying in their property?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 06:39 pm:

Have they moved? possibly
You don't know their name? correct, but irrelevant
So there is no way you can you can look them up in the book? those who know their name could look it up, it just so happens that I don't know them
There is no way that you can access the directory, in the garden / driveway / patio? yes, you could just open the garden gate and pick it up

Is there a known reason as to why the directory should be laying in their property? yes
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have they gone somewhere there is no telephone?
Do we need to find out more about the person/people who live/lived there?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:52 pm:

Have they gone somewhere there is no telephone? no, or not relevant
Do we need to find out more about the person/people who live/lived there? no

all that's left really is to tie in the facts known with the puzzle statement
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a known reason as to why the directory should be laying in their property? yes

it would help to discover this, though :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the owner(s)/resident(s)of the property put the directory in the backyard?

"all that's left really is to tie in the facts known with the puzzle statement"

The telephone directory is laying in the backyard of an empty property so wheras the directory will give you their number, it will be of little use because they aren't ever there to answer the telephone?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:54 am:

Did the owner(s)/resident(s)of the property put the directory in the backyard?

"all that's left really is to tie in the facts known with the puzzle statement"

The telephone directory is laying in the backyard of an empty property so wheras the directory will give you their number, it will be of little use because they aren't ever there to answer the telephone? that's the gist of it

I think that's enough to declare a spoiler - it's not interesting enough to carry on!

********** SPOILER *********

We each had a delivery of a new telephone directory in our village. These were just flung onto doorsteps. A few days later I saw one still lying on the ground of a property. We have lots of holiday homes in our area so I concluded that the cottage it was lying outside was vacant; either the owners were still away for Christmas and the New Year or it was awaiting visitors. Either way, telephone books are used so that we can contact people, but in this case, the fact that it was still outside meant that, for that particular home, you can't because they ain't at 'ome.

It was also an advertisement to any thieves looking to enter unoccupied properties

Thanks Simon for all your work on this unexciting puzzle!
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coming soon - a puzzle based on a wheelie bin that's put out too soon in the week. :O
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne, You have highlighted another point of interest that would otherwise go unnoticed.

We came home the other day to find a parcel dumped on our doorstep. The parcel contained an item of relative value that I would regret if it had gone missing. This postman took a liberty!

Talking of wheelie bins, my regular postman discreetly pops any parcels in our green recyle wheelie bin when we are out, leaving a note to alert us through the letter box, and this has proved most efficient. Come to think about it, I'd better check the bin next time (just in case) before I put it out!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: