Archive through January 11, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Beroean] Well I Never » Archive through January 11, 2006 « Previous Next »

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neighbours? Nope
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP

PUZZLE STATEMENT:
Apparently, because they eat more, it makes them more nervous than usual.

"They" and "them" are two different groups.

"They" number in the millions and have been an established group for centuries although their over eating may have only become apparent in more recent decades. They are a mixed gender. Some of "They" are members of this forum

"Them" = a small number, currently standing at 3. They are all known personally to me and not to the forum but they fit a descripively defined group that should not be too difficult to determine (but not dead easy). This group will always be aged 16 - 65
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your colleagues? Your patients?
Robert Banfield (Robertino)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a matter of geographical coincidence that you are acquainted with "them"? Or have you sought this group out, even if it were for another, unrelated, matter?

Is it at all possible that "them" actually number more than three, but you are unaware of, or unacquainted with, any others?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne
Your colleagues? No
Your patients? Right!

Robert
Is it a matter of geographical coincidence that you are acquainted with "them"? Partly. See above.
Or have you sought this group out, even if it were for another, unrelated, matter? I've not sought them out but they have been allocated to me

Is it at all possible that "them" actually number more than three, but you are unaware of, or unacquainted with, any others? Good question. My patients number more than three, so there is something different about these three. Also, I have no doubts that there are numerous others who I am not aquainted with.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they anorexic? Bulimic? Other eating disorders?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they anorexic? Bulimic? Other eating disorders? No they don't have an eating disorder of any kind
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they likely to stumble across this puzzle about them??
They'e a mix of male and female, right?
Are they particularly nervous anyway?
Are they anxious that the world's food supplies will run out?
Are they worried generally about the environment?
Are they perfectionists/obsessive and see over eating as a form of imperfection?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has become confusing talking about "them" and "they" so from now on "they" = Group A and "Them" = Group B.

I am assuming that your questions below relate to group B

Are they likely to stumble across this puzzle about them?? Group B are unlikely to stumble across this puzzle but it wouldn't matter if they did
They'e a mix of male and female, right? Group B are of mixed gender
Are they particularly nervous anyway? Noish
Are they anxious that the world's food supplies will run out? no
Are they worried generally about the environment? No
Are they perfectionists/obsessive and see over eating as a form of imperfection? No. Group B are not generally neurotic
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Group A questions
Do the comprise everybody who's ever eaten too much?
Those who consistently eat too much?
Anyone who has a binge once in a while?
Those who are always overweight?
Those who keep trying to diet it off with varying degrees of success?
Do they include children?
Babies?
The elderly?

Group B
You have three patients at the moment - do they know each other? Have they shared this fear with each other?
Have you had patients in the past who have the same common feature as these three, but who do not have this particular fear?
They eat normally, right?
Does this condition/fear have a name?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Group B
Did something recently trigger off this fear?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Group B
Are they always watching to see if people eat too much?
Do they have problems eating with others?
Do they have problems eating others? :O
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently, because Group A eat more, it makes Group B more nervous than usual.

Group A questions
Do the comprise everybody who's ever eaten too much? No
Those who consistently eat too much? No but as a group they have the tendancy
Anyone who has a binge once in a while? No
Those who are always overweight? No but as a group they have the tendancy
Those who keep trying to diet it off with varying degrees of success? No
Do they include children? Yes
Babies? Yesish
The elderly? Yes

Group B
You have three patients at the moment - do they know each other? Not relevant
Have they shared this fear with each other? I doubt it (note: it's not a huge fear but it's something that they are nervous about)
Have you had patients in the past who have the same common feature as these three, but who do not have this particular fear? Yesish
They eat normally, right? Right
Does this condition/fear have a name? If it were a genuine phobia then Yes, it does have a name, but, they don't have a phobia. They are nervous about something. However, because of group A and the amount that they eat, group B are more nervous than usual!

Group B
Did something recently trigger off this fear? Yesish - in the last year or so

Group B
Are they always watching to see if people eat too much? No
Do they have problems eating with others? No
Do they have problems eating others? No

For the purpose of this puzzle we can assume that group B do not have an issue with eating!
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Group B's issue is with the people themselves who overeat?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Group B's issue is with the people themselves who overeat? umm nope ..
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the terrorist atrocities a trigger point?

Do they think these people will explode because they eat too much? my husband's suggestion, not mine!
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the terrorist atrocities a trigger point? No

Do they think these people will explode because they eat too much? Surprisingly no :)

my husband's suggestion, not mine!
Well you never know - it's certainly a lateral thought it could be a fear harboured by some - who know's? :)

HINT Probably more unearthing required prior to successful inspiration
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are Group A in patients or do you see them in a clinic type situation?
Was it a national situation that was the trigger point?
Did they all have the same trigger point?
Have they said whether their families understand their fears or dismiss them totally?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm off to London to see one of our daughters this evening, back on Saturday, so my computer access will be more sporadic.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are Group A in patients or do you see them in a clinic type situation? No to all. Remeber - I think we established that - group A number in the millions

Was it a national situation that was the trigger point? No

Did they all have the same trigger point? Yes

Have they said whether their families understand their fears or dismiss them totally? No they haven't. It probably doesn't rate that highly

I hope all goes well for your trip!
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, final questions for now

Are Group B in patients or do you see them in a clinic type situation?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, final questions for now

Are Group B in patients No
or do you see them in a clinic type situation? This or at their own home