Archive through January 12, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Beroean] Well I Never » Archive through January 12, 2006 « Previous Next »

Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they (group b) more nervous because of something they've heard? Read? Seen? Observed?

Are they misunderstanding something? A particular word or phrase?

Any relevant diseases (e. g. "bird" flu)?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they (group b) more nervous because of something they've heard? Read? Seen? Observed? Seen / observed

Are they misunderstanding something? A particular word or phrase? No, they are not misunderstanding anything

Any relevant diseases (e. g. "bird" flu)? Yes, but not bird flu.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a contagious disease? Curable? Treatable? Chronic? Terminal? Viral? Bacterial? Prion-ish? Parasitic? Congenital?

Are they nervous about getting the disease themselves? Their loved ones getting it? Having to pay for others who get it? A pandemic?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a contagious disease? No
Curable? Yope-No
Treatable? Yes
Chronic? Often
Terminal? No
Viral? Bacterial? Prion-ish? Parasitic? Congenital? No to the rest

Are they nervous about getting the disease themselves? No, they already have it

Their loved ones getting it? Having to pay for others who get it? A pandemic? No to the rest
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Group B

Are they worried about sharing a toilet? Excess waste from overeaters? Are they cleaners? (This time my daughter's suggestion!]
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they worried about sharing a toilet? No
Excess waste from overeaters? No
Are they cleaners? No

All good ideas but not the ones we are looking for
(This time my daughter's suggestion!)
My word, what a resourceful family!

HINT: I still think you need to find out who group A are exactly.
Corné van Rensburg (Bixarrio)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it related to the type of food Group A eat? Or the amount? Is this disease found in all foods? Or only specific food? Oh, is it food Group A is eating '=o)? Or something else (like dirt)? Are you treating Group B for this specific condition, or did they just mention it to you while you treated them for, say, a broken leg? Does Group B have the disease they fear?
Robert Banfield (Robertino)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Group B are already suffering from Condition X and are worried that, should Group A continue to eat as much as they have recently been doing, Group A will also contract Condition X.

Is it the case that Group B believe that they themselves contracted Condition X after a bout of eating too much?

Group A must be some readily-identifiable subset of the population of the UK (all those who eat Christmas pies?). Are they members of a distinct UK nationality, Scots or Welsh perhaps? Or farmers, or those who live in a particular city? or county? Members of a religious order (Catholics consuming the Host...)?

Was the "trigger" to Group A's beginning to eat more an event and, if so, is it an event which is likely to recur? Was the event of short duration - seconds, minutes, hours, days, months? Was the event of a political, or religious, or sporting nature, or more or less fixed to the yearly calendar?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Bixarrio
Is it related to the type of food Group A eat? No
Or the amount? Yes
Is this disease found in all foods? There is no disease in the food
Or only specific food? see above
Oh, is it food Group A is eating '=o)? Not sure what you are asking – Group A do eat more food.
Or something else (like dirt)? No
it’s just foodYes
Are you treating Group B for this specific condition, or did they just mention it to you while you treated them for, say, a broken leg? I think this puzzle has given rise to several false assumptions. Group B haven’t mentioned anything to me about group A. I am treating group B for a specific condition. If you look at my profile it will give you a clue as to the nature of Group B’s problems.
Does Group B have the disease they fear? No. They don't actually fear a disease.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
OK, Group B are already suffering from Condition X Yes
and are worried that, should Group A continue to eat as much as they have recently been doing, Group A will also contract Condition X. No. Sorry but this is not the case

Is it the case that Group B believe that they themselves contracted Condition X after a bout of eating too much? No

Group A must be some readily-identifiable subset of the population of the UK No

(all those who eat Christmas pies?). No
Are they members of a distinct UK nationality, Scots or Welsh perhaps? Nationality – Yes! – UK – No!
Or farmers, or those who live in a particular city? or county? Members of a religious order (Catholics consuming the Host...)? No

Was the "trigger" to Group A's beginning to eat more an event and, if so, is it an event which is likely to recur? No, it’s something that has evolved
Was the event of short duration - seconds, minutes, hours, days, months? Decades
Was the event of a political, or religious, or sporting nature, or more or less fixed to the yearly calendar? No to all
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Group A = Americans?
Something to do with 2/3rds of us being overweight?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lisa

Group A = Americans? Yes *much applause*

Something to do with 2/3rds of us being overweight? Yes
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch - I see my problem. I had earlier read that Group B were in the UK, and thought that it was Group A. Dooohhhhh!!

OK - here's another long-shot, coz i like 'em so much: has this anything to do with hurricanes? New Orleans? people eating so much in the US that some others are beginning to worry that the land beneath them is starting to sink or subside?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Non-physical disease?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch - I see my problem. I had earlier read that Group B were in the UK, and thought that it was Group A. Dooohhhhh!! Understood - But never mind it makes it more fun :-)

OK - here's another long-shot, coz i like 'em so much: fire away!

has this anything to do with hurricanes? New Orleans? people eating so much in the US that some others are beginning to worry that the land beneath them is starting to sink or subside? No, nothing like this but an extar point is awarded for your fertile imagination.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Non-physical disease? correct
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, with respect to Group A - are we talking about all, or some, or any of the American over-eaters? If some, then are we talking about a subset who eat a particular type of food - hamburgers, or other "fast food". The US armed forces are probably millions-strong - is this Group "A"? Or is it the black Americans?
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have anything to do with the "Super Size Me" doccie? I just thought of this, as it is showing on TV as we speak

Earlier, you mentioned it's a curable, and often chronic disease. It's a mental disease. Obviously obesity?

Hmmm. Who will fit into an age-group between 16 and 65? You say you are treating Group B for A specific condition. Is this condition the same condition as that of Group A (I think this has been asked already)?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
Hmmm, with respect to Group A - are we talking about all, or some, or any of the American over-eaters? All

If some, then are we talking about a subset who eat a particular type of food - hamburgers, or other "fast food". The US armed forces are probably millions-strong - is this Group "A"? Or is it the black Americans? No to all - it is the US population as a whole

Bixarrio
Does it have anything to do with the "Super Size Me" doccie? You'll have to explain what that is for me
I just thought of this, as it is showing on TV as we speak

Earlier, you mentioned it's a curable, and often chronic disease. It's a mental disease. The disease that Group B suffer with is a specific mental Illness
Obviously obesity? Not for group B and we are not inferring here that group A suffer with any illness (although evidently many do suffer with obesity)

Hmmm. Who will fit into an age-group between 16 and 65? You say you are treating Group B for A specific condition. Is this condition the same condition as that of Group A (I think this has been asked already)? See above, I think that answers your questions.
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Super Size Me" doccie is obviously irrelevant, then. It's some documentary made by an american about the americans and fast foods. I think it's mainly McDonalds. The guy had a physical, and then ate only junk food for 30 days. Then he went for another physical.

So:

Apparently, because the overweight americans eat more, it makes the psychiatric patients more nervous than usual.

I suppose some of these have been answered already, but just to clarify:

Is Group B's illness relevant to the americans being overweight? In other words are they getting more nervous because of the illness, or are they concerned that the americans will get the same disease if they continue to eat more?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Super Size Me" doccie is obviously irrelevant, then. It's some documentary made by an american about the americans and fast foods. I think it's mainly McDonalds. The guy had a physical, and then ate only junk food for 30 days. Then he went for another physical. Oh yes, I remember that, his weight and serum cholesterol shot up. It's not directly relevant but surely fast junk food has influenced western diet detrimentally in many ways and is implicated in America's obesity problem.

So:

Apparently, because the overweight americans eat more, it makes the psychiatric patients more nervous than usual. Excellent summary but don't forget that these patients are not American

I suppose some of these have been answered already, but just to clarify:

Is Group B's illness relevant to the americans being overweight? Not exactly but it is relevant to seeking the solution to the puzzle.
In other words are they getting more nervous because of the illness, or are they concerned that the americans will get the same disease if they continue to eat more? Neither
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. Hmmm. I'm nowhere near an answer, yet. '=o(

I believe it's safe to say the patients are from the UK. Is this relevant? Are they nervous about... health? economics?