Archive through January 14, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Beroean] Well I Never » Archive through January 14, 2006 « Previous Next »

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. Hmmm. I'm nowhere near an answer, yet. '=o(
You are not alone :-)

I believe it's safe to say the patients are from the UK. Yes
Is this relevant? Yes
Are they nervous about... health? economics? No to both
Corné van Rensburg (Bixarrio)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmm. Age group between 16 and 65...
Is this group's age relevant? Is this age-group defined by... legal age to drive a car? legal age to have a job? Well, legal ages are relevant to some countries.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmm. Age group between 16 and 65...
Is this group's age relevant? Not really, it's just that the service that I work for is "Adult Mental Health" meaning that we serve the age group 16 - 65. The over 65's are served by "Psychiatry of Old Age" and the under 16's are served by the "Childrens psychiatric service"

Is this age-group defined by... legal age to drive a car? legal age to have a job? Well, legal ages are relevant to some countries. see above
Robert Banfield (Robertino)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would seem that Group B are elderly, living in the UK (probably in the South?), are suffering from some psychiatric condition which can be treated by some benign therapy, but not(easily) cured.

Although Group B are possibly aware of Group A, are they unaware of, or unconcerned about, Group A's overeating? Is Group B aware of their being more nervous about Group A's overeating?

Group B's heightened nervousness has to do with the American population as a whole, or just with Group A?

Are Group B worried that some consequence of Group A's overeating will affect them personally, or their family or acquaintances, or others suffering from their condition, or the UK population, or the world's population? Are they worried that some consequence of Group A's overeating will affect the health of the animal kingdom or of the world's vegetation, or the oceans and marine life?

Is Group B's condition a recognised mental health disorder? Is it an especially rare condition? Would persons unschooled in psychiatry or psychiatric health care normally be aware of the existence of this condition?
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the patients' concerns ... Political? Religious? About Global Warming? That America will sink into the sea?

Are their "fears" based on something they... assume? believe? saw on tv? read somewhere?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert

It would seem that Group B are elderly, They are between 30 -60 I would say
living in the UK (probably in the South?), Yes
are suffering from some psychiatric condition which can be treated by some benign therapy, \b}debatable}
but not(easily) cured. Right

Although Group B are possibly aware of Group A, are they unaware of, or unconcerned about, Group A's overeating? This is correct
Is Group B aware of their being more nervous about Group A's overeating? No!

Group B's heightened nervousness has to do with the American population as a whole, or just with Group A? Group A = The American Population as a whole and the answer is No!

Are Group B worried that some consequence of Group A's overeating will affect them personally, or their family or acquaintances, or others suffering from their condition, or the UK population, or the world's population? Are they worried that some consequence of Group A's overeating will affect the health of the animal kingdom or of the world's vegetation, or the oceans and marine life? No to all

Is Group B's condition a recognised mental health disorder? Yes
Is it an especially rare condition? No about 1 in 100 suffer with it in the UK
Would persons unschooled in psychiatry or psychiatric health care normally be aware of the existence of this condition? Yes (although they may not have an accurate understanding as to its nature)

Bixarrio

Are the patients' concerns ... Political?
Religious? About Global Warming? That America will sink into the sea? No to all

Are their "fears" based on something they... assume? believe? saw on tv? read somewhere? No to all
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Group B at all aware of their nervousness, heightened or otherwise? Are they at all aware of their suffering from the psychiatric condition?

Is it the case that the heightened nervousness of group B is noticeable only to medical practitioners or would it also be apparent to a lay person?

Do Group B suffer from any of the following (I Googled...): depression, substance abuse, anxiety, schizophrenia, eating disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Attention Deficit Disorder, Autism (this is my guess), Alzheimer's, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Disruptive Behavior Disorders, Dissociative Disorders, Eating Disorders, Hypochondria, Impulse Control Disorders, Mood Disorders, Münchausen's Syndrome, Personality Disorders, Postpartum Psychosis, Reactive Attachment Disorder, Rett Syndrome, Schizophrenia, Self-Injury, Shyness, Sleep Disorders, Stockholm Syndrome, "other"?
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also meant to add: Asperger's syndrome?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are Group B schizophrenic?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, while I was trying to find the spelling for schizophrenic Robert was posting... :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
Is Group B at all aware of their nervousness, heightened or otherwise? Yes
Are they at all aware of their suffering from the psychiatric condition? Yesish

Is it the case that the heightened nervousness of group B is noticeable only to medical practitioners Yes
or would it also be apparent to a lay person? Noish

Do Group B suffer from any of the following (I Googled...): depression, substance abuse, anxiety, schizophrenia, This one!
eating disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Attention Deficit Disorder, Autism (this is my guess), Alzheimer's, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Disruptive Behavior Disorders, Dissociative Disorders, Eating Disorders, Hypochondria, Impulse Control Disorders, Mood Disorders, Münchausen's Syndrome, Personality Disorders, Postpartum Psychosis, Reactive Attachment Disorder, Rett Syndrome, Schizophrenia, Self-Injury, Shyness, Sleep Disorders, Stockholm Syndrome, "other"?

Also meant to add: Asperger's syndrome?

Lynne
Are Group B schizophrenic? Yes
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, while I was trying to find the spelling for schizophrenic Robert was posting Repetition for emphasis :)
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So do we need to find out more about their condition, or why the American population particularly upsets them (apart from their propensity to overeat)?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they feel similarly to the huge number of the UK population who also overeat?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So do we need to find out more about their condition, Not exactly their condition but explore
or why the American population particularly upsets them (apart from their propensity to overeat)? Yessish but don't get mislead here because ..

Do they feel similarly to the huge number of the UK population who also overeat? No. (But be careful here because they don't actually have any negative feelings toward anyone in this puzzle)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, is there something peculiar to America or Americans which especially affects Group B? If so, is this a cultural thing? language? distance?

Is it the case that Group B are a subset of those patients suffering from schizophrenia under your care and who are suffering from a delusion specifically associated with Group A? If so, do they have delusions of persecution, or false and irrational beliefs that they are being cheated, harassed, poisoned, or conspired against?
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Further to Group B - do they suffer from distorted perceptions of reality? Do they, for instance, believe that they can hear, or see, or feel the Americans eating? So much so that it leads to some form of sensory overload?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, is there something peculiar to America or Americans which especially affects Group B? Yes
If so, is this a cultural thing? language? distance? No to these

Is it the case that Group B are a subset of those patients suffering from schizophrenia under your care Yes (well done)
and who are suffering from a delusion specifically associated with Group A? But not this
If so, do they have delusions of persecution, or false and irrational beliefs that they are being cheated, harassed, poisoned, or conspired against? No, it's not so much about the nature of their condition as ..

Further to Group B - do they suffer from distorted perceptions of reality? Do they, for instance, believe that they can hear, or see, or feel the Americans eating? So much so that it leads to some form of sensory overload? No, this is off track as you will now know from above answers
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(although they may not have an accurate understanding as to its nature) Possibly, like me. I only "know" schizophrenia as having multiple personalities. I have googled for schizophrenia, and now know that I was wrong. My appologies to all schizophrenic members, for my misinformed mind...

Summary:

Apparently, because the americans - of which many are overweight - eat more, it makes the 3 english schizophrenic patients more nervous than usual

Are they (B) affraid that the americans are out to get them? (stabbing in the dark, here)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, so the "they eat more" was just a clue as to who they were (americans). The fact that they do (eat more), is not what makes the patients nervous?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(although they may not have an accurate understanding as to its nature) Possibly, like me. I only "know" schizophrenia as having multiple personalities. I have googled for schizophrenia, and now know that I was wrong. My appologies to all schizophrenic members, for my misinformed mind...

5 bonus points for the research and immeasurable kudos for the subsequent learning

Summary:

Apparently, because the americans - of which many are overweight - eat more, it makes the 3 english schizophrenic patients more nervous than usual Very Good

Are they (B) affraid that the americans are out to get them? (stabbing in the dark, here) No, nothing like this

Ah, so the "they eat more" was just a clue as to who they were (americans). The fact that they do (eat more), is not what makes the patients nervous? No - the scenario would not exist unless Americans were on average more obese than UK citizens
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP

Puzzle Statement

Apparently, because they eat more, it makes them more nervous than usual.

Summary of progress

Apparently because the population of the US have a tendancy to overeat and therefore a tendancy toward obesity, three my patients are more nervous than usual.

These three patients suffer with schizophrenia. I have more than three shcizophrenic patients but these are unaffected. However there are undoubtedly many others in the UK who are/will be affected.

The actual reason for them being more nervous than usual is yet to be established. The reason is NOT a direct result of having shcizophernia.