[Brid] Duly warned Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2006 » [Brid] Duly warned « Previous Next »

Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was warned. I shook the warning off.
And it turned out to be not so bad.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you do what you were warned not to do? Did you avoid doing what you were warned to do?

Was the warning to do something? Avoid doing something? Do something in a certain way?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 01:16 pm:

Did you do what you were warned not to do? Did you avoid doing what you were warned to do? FA

Was the warning to do something? Avoid doing something? Do something in a certain way? no to all
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the warning spoken? Written?
Was it meant for you specifically?
Was it a warning that something might be dangerous?
Is a specific being or object relevant here?
If a being, is it a being that could be... named?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:25 am:

Was the warning spoken? this Written?
Was it meant for you specifically? yes
Was it a warning that something might be dangerous? not really
Is a specific being or object relevant here? yes
If a being, is it a being that could be... named? OK, two male human beings are relevant, let's call them Andy and Ted because that's more or less their real names
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

call them Andy and Ted because that's more or less their real names When you were a child, did you ever experience being handed a bag of candy, only to have it taken away again before you could eat a single one?

So, was the warning given by Andy? Ted?
Was the warning about Andy? Ted?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 07:22 am:

call them Andy and Ted because that's more or less their real names When you were a child, did you ever experience being handed a bag of candy, only to have it taken away again before you could eat a single one? no, I didn't. But you can re-name them, if you wish, as long as you stick to names I'm likely to be able to spell and pronounce :)

So, was the warning given by Andy? this one Ted?
Was the warning about Andy? Ted? this one
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Andy warned you about Ted?
Because of something Ted might do?
Because of some (potentially) unpleasant characteristic about Ted?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 05:24 pm:

So Andy warned you about Ted? yes
Because of something Ted might do? no
Because of some (potentially) unpleasant characteristic about Ted? yes
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, was it an underhand warning of the type you're given when, say, you begin at a new place of work, and one of your co-workers is a weirdo?
("I must warn you about Ted, never let him decide on names for things - he comes up with strange, unpronounceable concoctions containing numerals and x'es and what have you")
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:07 am:

So, was it an underhand warning of the type you're given when, say, you begin at a new place of work, and one of your co-workers is a weirdo? not quite this situation, but something like it, yes
("I must warn you about Ted, never let him decide on names for things - he comes up with strange, unpronounceable concoctions containing numerals and x'es and what have you") :) :) :)
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Brid - up early today?

So, at the time of the puzzle, Andy knew Ted reasonably well?
And you didn't?
You were warned about some characteristic of Ted's, right?
Something about the way he looked? Sounded? Smelled? (Felt? Tasted? Hopefully not!)
Something about his personality?
Something he could rectify if he wanted (and had the self-discipline) to?
Something that most people would thing a character deficiency?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for "thing" read "think"
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:25 am:

Hi, Brid - up early today? not earlier than most working days actually

So, at the time of the puzzle, Andy knew Ted reasonably well? yes
And you didn't? correct
You were warned about some characteristic of Ted's, right? yes
Something about the way he looked? this one Sounded? Smelled? (Felt? Tasted? Hopefully not!)
Something about his personality? only for quite vague values of "personality"
Something he could rectify if he wanted (and had the self-discipline) to? yes
Something that most people would think a character deficiency? probably not
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something peculiar about the way he dressed?
Makeup relevant?
Particular part of body relevant?
Hair style relevant?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 09:27 am:

Something peculiar about the way he dressed? yes
Makeup relevant? no
Particular part of body relevant? no, except as below
Hair style relevant? yes
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, he styled his hair in a particular way?
And wore inappropriate clothing?
Any special garment relevant?
Did he dress/style to look like someone else?
Elvis?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:00 am:

So, he styled his hair in a particular way? not sure about "styled", but yes
And wore inappropriate clothing? unusual, anyway
Any special garment relevant? yes
Did he dress/style to look like someone else? no
Elvis? laeftr
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

laeftr Huh? Have I been away for so long that I need to pick up on recent LTPF lingo?

Styled - in the sense of not styled at all, rather looking like a haystack from the previous night's sleep?
Garment - Covers the head? Neck? Face? Upper body? Arms? Hands? Lower body? Legs? Feet?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:57 am:

laeftr Huh? Have I been away for so long that I need to pick up on recent LTPF lingo? laeftr = left as (an) exercise for the reader

Styled - in the sense of not styled at all, rather looking like a haystack from the previous night's sleep? no
Garment - Covers the head? Neck? Face? Upper body? Arms? Hands? Lower body? this one Legs? and these, to some extent Feet? and no to rest
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, some kind of shorts? Bermuda shorts?
Hair - cut to look like something? Sculpted? Exceptionally long? Short? Toned? Dyed? Balding?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:10 pm:

So, some kind of shorts? Bermuda shorts? no to both (exactly what are Bermuda shorts anyway?)
Hair - cut to look like something? Sculpted? Exceptionally long? this Short? Toned? Dyed? Balding? no to rest
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Underwear? Sleeping bag? Skirt? Pajamas? Wet suit? Loincloth?
Was anything peculiar about his hair apart from the length?
Relevant how long the hair was?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:38 pm:

Underwear? Sleeping bag? Skirt? this Pajamas? Wet suit? Loincloth?
Was anything peculiar about his hair apart from the length? no
Relevant how long the hair was? not as long as it was long
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he's a transvestite?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:52 pm:

So he's a transvestite? no
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A scotsman, then?
Does he wear clothing that is appropriate for a woman, but not for a man?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:05 pm:

A scotsman, then? not that either
Does he wear clothing that is appropriate for a woman, but not for a man? No, he just likes wearing skirts. The rest of his clothes are much like those of his friends. The warning was "Ted is a bit special, you know. He has long hair and wears skirts." So...
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...go easy on him?
Did you have expectations about him?
That weren't fulfilled?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:40 pm:

...go easy on him? no
Did you have expectations about him? some, perhaps - explore
That weren't fulfilled? right, if so
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"It" turned out not to be so bad - "it" = the general experience of meeting Ted?
Is any aspect of Ted's behaviour - real or expected - relevant?
Did you sort of create a picture of Ted with your inner eye before you met him?
And there was a significant difference between that and the real Ted?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 06:20 am:

"It" turned out not to be so bad - "it" = the general experience of meeting Ted? yes
Is any aspect of Ted's behaviour - real or expected - relevant? well, yes, but see below
Did you sort of create a picture of Ted with your inner eye before you met him? yesish
And there was a significant difference between that and the real Ted? perhaps, but...
You have figured out the warning, and more or less why it wasn't so bad after all. But why and how did I shake the warning off?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shake it off - in the psychological sense?
Or in a physical sense?
Is the surrounding situation relevant?
Were you at work? At home? At someone elses home? Indoors? Outdoors? At a party?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 07:03 am:

Shake it off - in the psychological sense? oh, this
Or in a physical sense? and not this
Is the surrounding situation relevant? only a little
Were you at work? no At home? yes At someone elses home? this too, as I have a family :) Indoors? yes Outdoors? no At a party? no - but it could have been almost any of the others too
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Ted a child?
Did people come visiting?
Did Ted wear skirts on a daily basis?
Or was this a special occasion?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:34 am:

Was Ted a child? he was 16 or 17 and is now almost one year older
Did people come visiting? yes, beware FA
Did Ted wear skirts on a daily basis? yes; still does, as far as I know
Or was this a special occasion? no
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I were to see Ted, would I understand what you mean when you say "it turned out to be not so bad"?
Did Ted come for a visit (among others (such as Andy))?
When you shook the warning off, did you think something along the lines of "What?! A boy wearing a skirt? How horrible! Oh, well, let's not be prejudiced here, let's not pass judgement until we actually see the lad".?
Is there anything special about Ted that makes his skirt-wearing more understandable than it would have been for boys in general?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 06:39 am:

If I were to see Ted, would I understand what you mean when you say "it turned out to be not so bad"? quite possible
Did Ted come for a visit yes (among others (such as Andy))? no
When you shook the warning off, did you think something along the lines of "What?! A boy wearing a skirt? How horrible! Oh, well, let's not be prejudiced here, let's not pass judgement until we actually see the lad".? no I didn't
Is there anything special about Ted that makes his skirt-wearing more understandable than it would have been for boys in general? no
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, is there anything special about the skirt?
Or could it be any skirt?
Boys having long hair was not unusual in the past, and is still not unheard of, is it?
Does he wear anything relevant that a girl dressed up in a skirt would not usually be wearing?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 06:50 am:

So, is there anything special about the skirt? no
Or could it be any skirt? not a very frilly one, but this not very important
Boys having long hair was not unusual in the past, and is still not unheard of, is it? you are right
Does he wear anything relevant that a girl dressed up in a skirt would not usually be wearing? nothing relevant

The puzzle is almost solved, except for this: What did I answer when Andy warned me?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Well, so do I"?
"Oh."?
"What?!?"?
"Is there anything I can say to embarrass him?"?

Did you answer with a question?
Did your answer convey a "so what?" attitude?
Did your answer imply that you were shocked?
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Torgeir Apeland (Abc) on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:26 pm:

"Well, so do I"? quite!
"Oh."?
"What?!?"?
"Is there anything I can say to embarrass him?"?

Did you answer with a question?
Did your answer convey a "so what?" attitude? yes
Did your answer imply that you were shocked?

*********** SPOILER ************

"I warn you, Ted is a bit special, you know. He has long hair and wears skirts," said my stepson, here called Andy, when his classmate was going to come to our place for the first time. "So what? So do I,", said I. Andy looked at me and found I was right (I usually am :)) and didn't pursue the issue. And Ted turned out to be a nice young man who is even polite to his friends' parents.
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: