Archive through January 25, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2006 » [Katy] Boys vs Girls » Archive through January 25, 2006 « Previous Next »

Katy (Katy)
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The most obvious answer was also the most inappropriate by far!
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because of political correctness? Gender related?
Drew Sollenberger (Sollen)
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

politician that refuses to ever answer a question for fear of angering someone important?

important who is 'answering' the question? politician? person in authority? person related biologically to the individual asking the question? someone maried or dating the asker of the question?

are white lies to avoid hurting someone feelings important? a 8 month pregnent women ask if she look fat? (never ever answer that question!)
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Alizon (Alizon) on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 08:55 pm:

Because of political correctness? Gender related?
No

By Drew Sollenberger (Sollen) on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:42 am:

politician that refuses to ever answer a question for fear of angering someone important? No

important who is 'answering' the question? No, apart from one minor fact politician? person in authority? No, or not necessarily to these person related biologically to the individual asking the question? someone maried or dating the asker of the question? Not necessarily, but in the actual case this was the scenario

are white lies to avoid hurting someone feelings important? No a 8 month pregnent women ask if she look fat? (never ever answer that question!) I have no idea what I would say!!
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a 8 month pregnent women ask if she look fat? (never ever answer that question!) I have no idea what I would say!!

Simple. Ask her back "What do YOU think?", and beat a hasty retreat while they're thinking about it.

Title relevant?
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Haenlomal (Haenlomal) on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:40 pm:

a 8 month pregnent women ask if she look fat? (never ever answer that question!) I have no idea what I would say!!

Simple. Ask her back "What do YOU think?", and beat a hasty retreat while they're thinking about it. Nice plan, let me know how that goes

Title relevant? It is, but probably only to me!! May be worth exploring though
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you stopped beating your wife?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mean, was that the question? :)
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this have to do with another lateral puzzle? One involving a ping pong ball? or a duckling? or something that can float that is trapped in a pipe?
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:11 pm:

Have you stopped beating your wife?

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:12 pm:

I mean, was that the question? Glad to hear it! - no it wasn't

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:29 pm:

Does this have to do with another lateral puzzle? No, but OTRT!! One involving a ping pong ball? or a duckling? or something that can float that is trapped in a pipe? No, but I'd like to hear those! If they're classics could you post them in the chatroom>
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Not an LP but another...
Drew Sollenberger (Sollen)
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so a trivia puzzle? and the triva question involved sexes in the question? or in the answer?

did the answer sound inappropriate because it implied something about women? about men? about the interatctions between the sexes?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a riddle? Does this revolve around a game called battle of the sexes? Or one of those games where all the questions sound awful/dirty but aren't?

I.e. 4-letter name for a woman ending in _unt?
4-letter word for intercourse ending in k?
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Drew Sollenberger (Sollen) on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:51 pm:

so a trivia puzzle? Yes! and the triva question involved sexes in the question? or in the answer? No

did the answer sound inappropriate because it implied something about women? about men? about the interatctions between the sexes? No

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 07:00 pm:

Is it a riddle? Yesish Does this revolve around a game called battle of the sexes? No Or one of those games where all the questions sound awful/dirty but aren't? No

I.e. 4-letter name for a woman ending in _unt?
4-letter word for intercourse ending in k?
No, this puzzle is rated 'U' :)

Drew asked "a trivia puzzle?" - which is incredibly close. "Boys vs Girls" was just to help with the scenario / situation in which the question was asked
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um... the questions ARE rated U. They're only dirty if YOU have the dirty mind. The answers were AUNT and TALK, respectively.

So is this "trivia puzzle" not really a trivia puzzle? Is it just that it involves several pieces of trivia rather than one? Are trivia questions asked? Trivial Pursuit? Is it a board game? Was there only one particular puzzle-relevant question?
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 04:02 pm:

Um... the questions ARE rated U. They're only dirty if YOU have the dirty mind. The answers were AUNT and TALK, respectively.
In that case I apologise! :O

So is this "trivia puzzle" not really a trivia puzzle? Is it just that it involves several pieces of trivia rather than one? Are trivia questions asked? Trivial Pursuit? YES!! Is it a board game? Was there only one particular puzzle-relevant question? This puzzle is about a single question, yes

Boys vs girls is how the game is usually played in our family. The boys nearly always win but they have easier questions
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure it's not "Battle of the Sexes"?
I swear, I can answer almost all the male questions but none of the female questions. Who the hell cares what a haberdashery is??? Nobody calls it that. Except Cleolinda when referencing ass-haberdashery, ass-hats, and ass-clowns. Ok, so that was dirty.

Did the question revolve around:
Politics?
World Geography?
Religion?
Common houshold items?
Sex?
Vehicles?
Kids?
Flora?
Fauna?
Minerals?
Something?
Somebody?
A joke?
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 06:36 pm:

Are you sure it's not "Battle of the Sexes"? Well in our house it is, but no
I swear, I can answer almost all the male questions but none of the female questions. Who the hell cares what a haberdashery is??? Nobody calls it that. Except Cleolinda when referencing ass-haberdashery, ass-hats, and ass-clowns. Ok, so that was dirty.

Did the question revolve around:
Politics?
World Geography? I think it was probably in this category, although that may mislead
Religion?
Common houshold items?
Sex?
Vehicles? Yes - with an ish
Kids?
Flora?
Fauna?
Minerals?
Something? Yes
Somebody?
A joke? No to rest
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

******** RECAP ******************
The situation is a game of Trivial Pursuit. A question was asked (by me to my Dad & husband, but that's not relevant) which I think was in geography category. It involved vehicles. The most obvious answer (in fact the one given) was so inappropriate as to be funny. The correct answer was not a trick in any way
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok... category geography... vehicles involved...

Cars?
Trains?
Trucks?
Other?

Did the question involve how long a particular stretch you could travel was? I.e. How far did was the run made by the Orient Express?
Did the question ask for mode of travel? Ask for a location? Ask for a distance? Ask for a name? a person? a place? a landmark?

Did the actual response involve a... person? place? thing? distance? body part?
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:16 pm:

Ok... category geography... vehicles involved...

Cars?
Trains?
Trucks?
Other? This one

Did the question involve how long a particular stretch you could travel was? I.e. How far did was the run made by the Orient Express?
Did the question ask for mode of travel?
No to these
Ask for a location? It mentioned a location Ask for a distance? Ask for a name? It mentioned a name a person?

a place? a landmark? These two are the closest to something that was mentioned in the question

Did the actual response involve a... person? place? thing? distance? body part? None of these, although 'thing' can be loosely applied
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

driving distance to a location overseas?