Archive through February 01, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2006 » [Abc] At the bottom of a lake... » Archive through February 01, 2006 « Previous Next »

Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried this some months ago, but the forum went bananas (tech trouble, that is, not the members). Let's have another go.

A man sits at a desk, studying the latest figures concerning his bank account. After some pondering, he seems to reach a conclusion. He sighs, rises, picks up an axe and leaves the house. He walks to a jetty where his small boat is moored, enters the boat, runs it to the middle of the big lake and throws the axe over board.

What's going on?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course the members are already bananas :-)

Does he own an orchard?
Is he a lumberjack?
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"latest figured concerning his bank account" - i.e. his income and expenditure?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:39 am:

Of course the members are already bananas :-)
I thought I'd be polite and not mention that

Does he own an orchard? No
Is he a lumberjack? No

By Katy (Katy) on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:03 am:

"latest figured concerning his bank account" - i.e. his income and expenditure? Correct

And welcome to my first puzzle in ages, both of you.
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you!
Does he throw the axe overboard becuase he wants rid of it? Because it is evidence? Does he expect it to ever be retrieved fromt he bottom of the lake? Could he have fulfilled his purpose by throwing it off a bridge into a very deep river?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he throw the axe overboard becuase he wants rid of it? Yesish
Because it is evidence? Um... yes, but maybe misleading
Does he expect it to ever be retrieved from the bottom of the lake? No
Could he have fulfilled his purpose by throwing it off a bridge into a very deep river? Yes
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a pun / play on words?
Will he actually achieve his goal? Does he think he will? Does the axe represent something?
Ian (Image)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the axe his? Is it related to his income? To his expenditures?

Did he decide to rid himself of the axe because he wasn't making as much as he expected? Wanted? Hoped? Because he was making as much as he expected? Wanted? Hoped? Because he was making more than he expected? Wanted? Hoped?

Because he wasn't spending as much as he expected? Wanted? Hoped? Because he was spending as much as he expected? Wanted? Hoped? Because he was spending more than he expected? Wanted? Hoped?
John Faben (Bentarm)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sense a pun...

Is it relevant exactly what details of his bank account he checked? Any particular recent transaction? A credit to his account? a debit?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the axe tied to something?
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This wouldn't be related to a fable I might have heard would it?
Drew Sollenberger (Sollen)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh this is one of what i call classic LTP; my favorite type!

was he reviewing the bank accounts to see how much money he had? how profitable he had been recenty? was he reviewing them to find something (such as discover someone was stealing money from him or that his ex-wife spent his money).

was the discovery dirctly related to how much money he currently had? to a specific purchase made at some point in time? to a trend with the money?

does the bank accounts relate to his personal checking/savings accounts? bank accounts? 401K or similar accounts? stocks/investment accounts?

does throwing the axe help him to gain money? prevent him from loseing money? prevent him from getting in trouble? prevent someone else from getting in trouble? punish/hurt/inconvinence someone? is it a way of punishing himself? as a way of gaining a non-finacial benefit? of getting an item?

is the axe a normal axe of the type you would chop wood? was it used to chop wood? has it recently been used to cut something else of importantce? if so a man made object? something made of wood otehr then a tree? a human's corpse(sorry in LTPF that kind of thing happens)

is the axe itself of any finacial value? symbolic value?

is his axe related to his job? related to his source of income? realated to the same thing the finacial documents are connected to? is the axe even his?

is anyone other then the man directly relevent to the puzzle?

should I stop talking now? yes? okay
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Katy (Katy) on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 02:22 pm:

Is this a pun / play on words? I wish it were, but no.
Will he actually achieve his goal? Probably
Does he think he will? Yes
Does the axe represent something? Eh... yope.

By Ian (Image) on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 04:46 pm:

Is the axe his? Noish
Is it related to his income? No
To his expenditures? In an indirect way, yes

Did he decide to rid himself of the axe because he wasn't making as much as he expected? Wanted? Hoped? Because he was making as much as he expected? Wanted? Hoped? Because he was making more than he expected? Wanted? Hoped? Let's just say he found that his overall economic situation wasn't as good as he had hoped.

Because he wasn't spending as much as he expected? Wanted? Hoped? Because he was spending as much as he expected? Wanted? Hoped? Because he was spending more than he expected? Wanted? Hoped? More income and/or less expenditures might have changed his decision.

By John Faben (Bentarm) on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:25 pm:

I sense a pun... When I was more active on the forum, I ran almost nothing but silly puzzles. This one, however, is not of that kind, and I concider it probable that scenarios like this have happened many times.

Is it relevant exactly what details of his bank account he checked? Any particular recent transaction? A credit to his account? a debit? No. See above.

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:58 pm:

Is the axe tied to something? No

By Rachel (Myth) on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:04 pm:

This wouldn't be related to a fable I might have heard would it? While I cannot be absolutely sure, I rather doubt it. Please list all the fables you have heard, and I'll give you a reliable answer.

By Drew Sollenberger (Sollen) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:34 am:

oh this is one of what i call classic LTP; my favorite type!

was he reviewing the bank accounts to see how much money he had? how profitable he had been recenty? Probably both of these
was he reviewing them to find something (such as discover someone was stealing money from him or that his ex-wife spent his money). No

was the discovery dirctly related to how much money he currently had? to a specific purchase made at some point in time? FA - there was no distinct discovery. to a trend with the money? Maybe this, but not very relevant.

does the bank accounts relate to his personal checking/savings accounts? bank accounts? 401K or similar accounts? stocks/investment accounts? Could be any or all of these

does throwing the axe help him to gain money? No
prevent him from loseing money? Yes
prevent him from getting in trouble? Hence yes
prevent someone else from getting in trouble? No
punish/hurt/inconvinence someone? Only very peripherally and indirectly; don't go that way
is it a way of punishing himself? No
as a way of gaining a non-finacial benefit? No
of getting an item? No

is the axe a normal axe of the type you would chop wood? No
was it used to chop wood? Yes
has it recently been used to cut something else of importantce? No
if so a man made object? something made of wood otehr then a tree? So, no to these
a human's corpse(sorry in LTPF that kind of thing happens) 's OK (:

is the axe itself of any finacial value? symbolic value? Both yesish

is his axe related to his job? related to his source of income? realated to the same thing the finacial documents are connected to? No to these is the axe even his? No(ish)

is anyone other then the man directly relevent to the puzzle? Um... sort of

should I stop talking now? yes? okay
OK (:
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried to email at your profile address but can't (it bounces) so I'll just try to be careful.
Is there another personish involved?
Tony (E20)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he ditch the axe in order to prevent it being used? by himself? by someone else?

The axe is not the normal type used to chop wood ... is it a different size? made of different material? of different value? of a different vintage?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Rachel (Myth) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 03:33 pm:

I have tried to email at your profile address but can't (it bounces) so I'll just try to be careful. Try to remove "seebelow" from the address
Is there another personish involved? Not any specific person, no

By Tony (E20) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 07:20 pm:

Did he ditch the axe in order to prevent it being used? by himself? by someone else? No to these

The axe is not the normal type used to chop wood ... is it a different size? made of different material? of different value? of a different vintage? All yes
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a "functional" (for svv of functional) as we would think of for an axe, or is this "axe" something unorthodox compared to the "standard" definition?

Does this take place in real life?
In a video game?
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there another personish involved? Not any specific person, no
Think I'm safe then

If you or I were in that same world (be it real or other) and threw an axe in that lake woudl we get the same benefits he did?
Is this have worked if he'd thrown in something besides an axe?
Ian (Image)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this "axe" as in a guitar?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:14 pm:

Is it a "functional" (for svv of functional) as we would think of for an axe, or is this "axe" something unorthodox compared to the "standard" definition? It is a functional axe

Does this take place in real life? Yes
In a video game? No

By Rachel (Myth) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:45 pm:

If you or I were in that same world (be it real or other) and threw an axe in that lake woudl we get the same benefits he did? No
Is this have worked if he'd thrown in something besides an axe? No, and possible FA

By Ian (Image) on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:12 am:

Is this "axe" as in a guitar? No, it is an actual axe.
Katy (Katy)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the man alive or is this a story/myth?
Is the lake famous?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the man alive or is this a story/myth? The man is just a figment of my imagination. But this could have happened, and is rooted in certain facts.
Is the lake famous? No, the lake is also made up by me for the occasion