[WiZ] Men in tights (From memory)... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2006 » [WiZ] Men in tights (From memory) « Previous Next »

Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A man, using a telephone, accidentally stumbles across information of an irrelevant crime. Although he does not know it, he did this illegally. He then tries to warn someone about the crime, but it is then that his illegal use of the telephone is revealed

Solving a puzzle can be a real test.
The simplest answer is often the best.
Four chances have you, then your luck is broken.
Ask the right questions to get the token.
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the man talking on the telephone? Listening to it?
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 04:29 am:

Is the man talking on the telephone? yes Listening to it? and yes
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he call the person that he got the 'tip-off' from?

Did he know the person about to commit the crime?

Was he a lawer or a priest?
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the man on an airplane, using his cell phone?
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 11:01 pm:

Did he call the person that he got the 'tip-off' from? NO

Did he know the person about to commit the crime? no

Was he a lawer or a priest? no

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 11:02 pm:

Is the man on an airplane, using his cell phone? no
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he hear the person saying they would commit a crime? Someone else saying that the other person would commit a crime? Some sort of audio signal at all from the phone(Or other sourse perhaps?) that indicated the crime would take place? Phone relevent at all? His talking on the phone relevent at all?
You said to think simple, right? I think...
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Token relevent?
Is it his own phone? Or a phone in his home?

Is it a pay phone? Did he not pay for it or somehow chaet on the tokens it took as payment?
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 09:00 pm:

Did he hear the person saying they would commit a crime? yes Someone else saying that the other person would commit a crime? no Some sort of audio signal at all from the phone(Or other sourse perhaps?) that indicated the crime would take place? no Phone relevent at all? yes His talking on the phone relevent at all? yes
You said to think simple, right? I think... And you are. Good.

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 09:19 pm:

Token relevent? no
Is it his own phone? Or a phone in his home? both :)

Is it a pay phone? no Did he not pay for it or somehow chaet on the tokens it took as payment? no
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He hear a person say that they would commit a crime, but he did not call them, yes?

Did that person call him?

(Did he or the peoson on the other end of the line iniiate the call if FA?)

This had nothing to do with listening to people while they are on hold does it?
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 03:05 am:

He hear a person say that they would commit a crime, but he did not call them, yes? yes

Did that person call him? no

(Did he or the peoson on the other end of the line iniiate the call if FA?) both :)

This had nothing to do with listening to people while they are on hold does it? no
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He did not call the person, and that person did not call him, yet they both initiated the call, yes?
Were wires crossed somewhere, perhaps literally?
Did he steal the phone?
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he speaking to or having a converstion with the person who told him that thay would commit the crime?

Did they tell him they would commit the crime?

Or did they just say it and he heard it?
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No. Life. Whatsoever.

Is the title relevent?

Why do I get a sneaking suspition that the answer is a big fat 'NO!'?

Oh, well. I should be off studing for my final today. But I just can't leave.
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:30 pm:

He did not call the person, and that person did not call him, yet they both initiated the call, yes? yes
Were wires crossed somewhere, YES! perhaps literally? no
Did he steal the phone? no

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 08:35 pm:

Was he speaking to or having a converstion with the person who told him that thay would commit the crime? no

Did they tell him they would commit the crime? In the sense that they deliberately told him that they were committing a crime, no

Or did they just say it and he heard it? YES

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 02:22 pm:

No. Life. Whatsoever. Exam period, huh? Know the feeling

Is the title relevent? a big fat 'NO!' :P

Oh, well. I should be off studing for my final today. But I just can't leave. Me too :) Only 1 to go now
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the man actually reach the:
Phone number he dialed?
Meant to dail?
Person he dailed?
Person he meant to dial?
(Ditto for 'tip-off' dude)

Ugh. Two more to go for me now. French is going to be such a killer. At least I got Global out of the way today. My WORST subject.
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 01:21 am:

Did the man actually reach the:
Phone number he dialed?
Meant to dail?
Person he dailed?
Person he meant to dial? irrelevant
(Ditto for 'tip-off' dude) false assumption

Ugh. Two more to go for me now. French is going to be such a killer. Ah, vous étudiez le français ? J'étudie le français, aussi. L'appréciez-vous ? Mon cours va pendant l'année entière tellement là ne sont aucun examen après le premier trimestre. Compatissant.

At least I got Global out of the way today. My WORST subject. *nod* I had Law yesterday, and have International relations coming up on Monday. What's global?
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, discus doesn't think much of accents. I'll try again without them.

vous etudiez le francais ? J'etudie le francais, aussi. L'appreciez-vous ? Mon cours va pendant l'annee entiere tellement la ne sont aucun examen apres le premier trimestre. Compatissant.
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FA for calling him 'Tip-Off' Dude?
That TOD *giggle* dialed someone?
That Tod meant to dial someone?

Am I getting off track?

Global History And Geography. Most wasted two year course ever! All I ever did in class the first year was write stories or teach myself to draw anime. And I got an overall 98 percent grade.

Oui, j'etudie le francais. J'apprecie, mais pas maintenant. Quel bon chance pour vouz. Ce vous manqueriez?

And then my bare knowledge of french fails me. I need to study more before Friday. I can speak it, I can understand it, but writing it kills me. As above exampled by my slaughtering of even basic french.
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 02:06 am:

FA for calling him 'Tip-Off' Dude? indeed

Am I getting off track? If I were to give you a gentle nudge in the right direction, I would say We've established that a guy one the phone picked up another phone conversation which mentioned a crime. By trying to stop the crime by warning someone, he does something illegal. Explain

Global History And Geography. Most wasted two year course ever! All I ever did in class the first year was write stories or teach myself to draw anime. And I got an overall 98 percent grade. I recall the Geo exam I took when I was 16. The first question asked what the large continental landmass shaped like Australia, south of Indonesia, was. The second question was to ask what colour it was shaded.

I seem to be the opposite when it comes to French. Written comp I have no trouble with, but oral comprehension/oral exams in general are more of a problem. I was fortunate enough last year to be asked the 1 question out of 8 that I had practiced extensively.
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that was a spectacularly failed attempt to use the HTML tag for colourcoding. Still, enjoy the hint.
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I thought that it was understood that by 'tip-off dude' I meant guy who said into the phone, but not to the guy listening, that he was going to commit a crime. From now on I shall refer to him as Tod to avoid confusioin. An I shall refer to the unfortunate fellow attempting to stop the crime as... Conan, just for the heck of it.

Same questions as answered with FA, only replacing 'tip-off dude' with Tod, please.

Did Conan commit a crime by how he used the phone? By trying to tell someone?

Were Conan and Tod in the same home/on the same line?

Ages of either man relevent?
Are they both human males?
(I forget if that was already been established)

Was Conan acctually speaking into the phone? Did Tod hear him?
Was Tod actually speaking into the phone?
Did Canan hear him?
Was anyone else on the same line as Conan and Tod?

Any of this relevent?

Done with french now. I got 24 ouy of 24 on speaking, 60 out of 60 for listening and reading, and am waiting for the score on writing. Even if an albatorss came and ate my writing section, I would get at least an 84 percent, and with it I probably have somewhere in the high ninties. Only Earth science to go, then a free summertime to puzzle away.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that sometimes cordless phones pick up conversations from other cordless phones that are using the same frequency?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Tod dial a number and leave a message, then Conan dialed a number to listen to his messages, but dialed the wrong number and got Tod's message?
Robert Burnett
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But wait....Your initial puzzle states "A man, using a telephone, accidentally stumbles across information of an irrelevant crime. Although he does not know it, he did this illegally."

But then in your subsequent recap, you state, "We've established that a guy one the phone picked up another phone conversation which mentioned a crime. By trying to stop the crime by warning someone, he does something illegal."

These are contradictory. Your puzzle states that the manner in which he overhears the information involves illegal activity, while your recap states that it is the manner in which he attempts to warn people that is actually illegal. Which is it?
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 06:50 pm:

Did Conan commit a crime by how he used the phone? no By trying to tell someone? YES

Done with french now. I got 24 ouy of 24 on speaking, 60 out of 60 for listening and reading, and am waiting for the score on writing. Even if an albatorss came and ate my writing section, I would get at least an 84 percent, and with it I probably have somewhere in the high ninties. Only Earth science to go, then a free summertime to puzzle away. Felicitations. Quel resultat merveilleux ! I've just finished exams, too.

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 08:00 pm:

Relevant that sometimes cordless phones pick up conversations from other cordless phones that are using the same frequency? YES

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 08:11 pm:

Did Tod dial a number and leave a message, then Conan dialed a number to listen to his messages, but dialed the wrong number and got Tod's message? no

By Robert Burnett on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:13 pm:

But wait....Your initial puzzle states "A man, using a telephone, accidentally stumbles across information of an irrelevant crime. Although he does not know it, he did this illegally."

But then in your subsequent recap, you state, "We've established that a guy one the phone picked up another phone conversation which mentioned a crime. By trying to stop the crime by warning someone, he does something illegal."

These are contradictory. Your puzzle states that the manner in which he overhears the information involves illegal activity, while your recap states that it is the manner in which he attempts to warn people that is actually illegal. Which is it? the latter, as you can see by the

***** SPOILER *****

Conan, talking to a third party on a cordless phone picks up Tod's conversation. The conversation contains details of a potential crime. Conan calls the police to tell them of it, but is charged with breaking some sort of law relating to privacy

I posted the initial puzzle statement so very long ago, I can't remember much more than that in the way of detail, nor can I for the life of me find the original article that was posted on the internet. Still, that's all you really need.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably Conan got crossways of some sort of anti-wiretapping law. Under a lot of such laws, he would have had no right to listen to what Tod was saying.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: