[Abc] Evil intentions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2006 » [Abc] Evil intentions « Previous Next »

Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two brothers are outdoors one night, stargazing. Then one of them turns to the other one with an evil grin, saying "Did you know David was adopted?"

The other brother turns white with fear, then turns around and runs like a madman for a house in the distance.

What's going on?
Michael Smith (Endeffect)
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is David the son of one of the two brothers?

Did one of the brothers adopt David from his brother without him knowing it?

Is stargazing relevant?

Would the "running" brother have reason to fear David being alone in the house? With David NOT being alone in the house?

Does the first brotyher have a reason to divulge this information?

Is the first brother being vindictive in telling his other brother?
Christiane Scharf (0815)
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is David a(n adopted?) brother of the two other brothers?
Has someone just died? Is someone dying?
Is inheritance relevant?
Is anything medical relevant? House = hospital?
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is David adopted?
Anything to do with bloodtypes or sugeries?
Does the running brother fear for someone? Something? Himself? David? For that person's daeth/thing's destruction?
Any of these relevent?
Evil grin relevent? Deception relevent? Is the running brother David? Is the evil grin brother David?
Stargazing relevent? Nighttime relevent?
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there malicious intent by the evily grinning brother?

Sorry if some of these seem obvious. You know what's said about assumptions.
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Michael Smith (Endeffect) on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 01:59 pm:

Is David the son of one of the two brothers? No

Did one of the brothers adopt David from his brother without him knowing it? No

Is stargazing relevant? No, just a random suitable activity to set the scene.

Would the "running" brother have reason to fear David being alone in the house? Noish
With David NOT being alone in the house? No

Does the first brotyher have a reason to divulge this information? Yes, but see the end of this posting

Is the first brother being vindictive in telling his other brother? Um, yesish, see previous qustion

By Christiane Scharf (0815) on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 03:52 pm:

Is David a(n adopted?) brother of the two other brothers? Yes
Has someone just died? Maybe
Is someone dying? yesish
Is inheritance relevant? No, or at most just as largely irrelevant background information
Is anything medical relevant? No
House = hospital? No

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:29 pm:

Is David adopted? Yes
Anything to do with bloodtypes or sugeries? No
Does the running brother fear for someone? Yes
Something? Yesish
Himself? Yes
David? No
For that person's daeth/thing's destruction? Yes
Any of these relevent? Yes
Evil grin relevent? Noish. That was actually rather misplaced. See end of this posting
Deception relevent? Not after the end of this posting
Is the running brother David? No
Is the evil grin brother David? No
Stargazing relevent? No
Nighttime relevent? Yes

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:31 pm:

Was there malicious intent by the evily grinning brother? See end of this posting

Sorry if some of these seem obvious. You know what's said about assumptions. Absolutely

To make the plot better, forget about the evil grin. We'll change the evil grin to a look of sudden, fearful realisation, and sincere concern
Dave
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I know this. Is David King David from the Bible? When they were stargazing, they saw the star of David, didn't they?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I know this. Is David King David from the Bible? No
When they were stargazing, they saw the star of David, didn't they? No, they didn't
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does David himself know he is adopted?
Has David always known? or
Has David just found out?
Is the father of David relevant?
Is the mother of David relevant?
Are any siblings of David relevant?
Is any romantically attached girl relevant? If so, one who is attached to David, the speaker or the runner?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the adopted parents of David relevant? (They are the parents of the speaker and the runner, presumably?)
Are they both alive?
Is one of them in danger?
Christiane Scharf (0815)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is David in the house his brother is running to? Is some other family member there? More than one family member? Is/are any relevant person/s there?
Is the house = the house where they live? where David lives? where the running brother lives? where the third brother lives? where their parents live? Is the house a normal house (in contrast to a mall, stadium, bakery...)?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:13 pm:

Does David himself know he is adopted? Irrelevant
Has David always known? or
Has David just found out?
Is the father of David relevant?
Is the mother of David relevant?
Are any siblings of David relevant?
Is any romantically attached girl relevant? If so, one who is attached to David, the speaker or the runner? All of these are irrelevant

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:15 pm:

Are the adopted parents of David relevant? No (They are the parents of the speaker and the runner, presumably? Correct)
Are they both alive? Yes, irrelevant
Is one of them in danger? No

By Christiane Scharf (0815) on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:42 pm:

Is David in the house his brother is running to? Yes, irrelevant
Is some other family member there? More than one family member? Let's say the whole family, but irrelevant.
Is/are any relevant person/s there? No
Is the house = the house where they live? Yes
where David lives? where the running brother lives? where the third brother lives? where their parents live? All of them live there, yes
Is the house a normal house (in contrast to a mall, stadium, bakery...)? Normal house
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems that it's irrelevant whether David himself knew that he was adopted but it's a fresh realisation for the speaker and the runner. Is this important? Has somebody deliberately withheld that information from them?
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the house in danger of destriction?
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the family in danger? David? The running brother? The speaking brother?

Does the running brother percieve a danger that does not exist? To david? The house? The famiy? Himself? The speaker?

Any of them of death?

Any relevent?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 06:14 pm:

It seems that it's irrelevant whether David himself knew that he was adopted but it's a fresh realisation for the speaker No and the runner.Yes Is this important? Yesish
Has somebody deliberately withheld that information from them? Irrelevant.

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 07:59 pm:

Is the house in danger of destriction? No

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 08:01 pm:

Is the family in danger? David? The running brother? Yes The speaking brother? No to the others

Does the running brother percieve a danger that does not exist? No To david? The house? The famiy? Himself? The speaker? So no to these

Any of them of death? Not sure what you mean. The runner is afraid he will die, and with ample reason.

Any relevent? As specified above
Kitral Solane (Solane)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he had not learned tha David was adopted, would the running brother have died? Does he die?
Relevent?
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moses relevant?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Family curse relevant? (Maybe something about the oldest son of the family, and Running Brother always thought that he was safe because David was the oldest son, but if David is adopted, then he's not really the oldest son of the family, and his younger brother (Running Brother) is?)
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kitral Solane (Solane) on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 09:27 pm:

If he had not learned tha David was adopted, would the running brother have died? Yes
Does he die? Maybe
Relevent? Not very

By Steve Wort (Wizardofnz) on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:49 am:

Moses relevant? Peripherally, yes

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 02:10 am:

Family curse relevant? No (Maybe something about the oldest son of the family, and Running Brother always thought that he was safe because David was the oldest son, but if David is adopted, then he's not really the oldest son of the family, and his younger brother (Running Brother) is?) Definitely on the right track
John Faben (Bentarm)
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The danger that the running brother (Rab) is in - from David? From standing-still brother (Stan)? from any person?
Are their relative ages relevant? Is Stan older than Rab? than David? Is David older than Stan? than Rab? Are the answers to those four questions enough information to put the brothers in order (it's too early in the morning for me to work out stuff like that)?
Are any other biblical characters than Moses relevant? any less peripherally relevant than Moses?

Is he running toward the house hoping that this will save his life? Hoping that he will be able to do something before he dies?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The danger that the running brother (Rab) is in - from David? From standing-still brother (Stan)? Neither from any person? Um... yope
Are their relative ages relevant? Yes Is Stan older than Rab? than David? Is David older than Stan? than Rab? Are the answers to those four questions enough information to put the brothers in order (it's too early in the morning for me to work out stuff like that)?
To make it simple: Oldest: David; middle: Rab; youngest: Stan
Are any other biblical characters than Moses relevant? any less peripherally relevant than Moses? Noish

Is he running toward the house hoping that this will save his life? Yes Hoping that he will be able to do something before he dies? Well, yes
Christiane Scharf (0815)
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will the firstborn son be killed/sacrificed?
Will anything happen to Rab because he is the the firstborn son?
Relevant when this is set? Relevant where this is set? Politics relevant? Religion relevant? Family feuds relevant?
Is this based on a true story?
David Worrell (Daveworrell)
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

E-mail sent. I think I've got this one figured out.
David Worrell (Daveworrell)
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My e-mail couldn't go through, for some reason. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I know the answer. I'll sit back and enjoy the rest of the show.
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hotmail didn't like mine, either.
I'll join you in the cheap seats, if I may, David?
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will the firstborn son be killed/sacrificed? Yope
Will anything happen to Rab because he is the the firstborn son? Yope
Relevant when this is set? Relevant where this is set? Both yes Politics relevant? No Religion relevant? Yesish Family feuds relevant? No
Is this based on a true story? I say yes. Others may disagree.

I can see that my strategy for avoiding e-mail harvesters causing spam to my e-mail account has failed miserably, in that it becomes opaque to legitimate human users as well. I'll change it shortly.
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I deleted the relevant bit, per your instructions. It appears that I also deleted a very important bit as well, since I didn't see the intervening underscore. I just re-sent, and I think it went through this time.
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it seems this has dried up, and several people have solved it already. I'll post the spoi ler in a day or two of nothing more happens.
Torgeir Apeland (Abc)
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

**************** SPOILER *****************

The brothers are Israelites, on the night before the exodus from Egypt related in the Biblical book of the same name, Exodus. The Israelites had been ordered by God to slaughter a lamb, and apply some of the blood to the door posts of their houses, and stay indoors. All firstborn males who were not inside houses with blood-stained door posts would die.

Our heroes were outside in violation of the commandment, both thinking they were outside of danger, since none of them were firstborn. Then it dawns on the younger brother that the oldest brother (who stayed behind in the family's house) is adopted, so the brother at his side is really the firstborn, and will die unless he can get back to the house in time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: