[Nimue] A Citizen of the World Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2006 » [Nimue] A Citizen of the World « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Puzzle regulars may remember that I come from a Jewish family but have no religion & no ethnicity. This caused me to midunderstand an acquaintance's recent attempt to be considerate. In fact, I misunderstood it so badly that my response totally bewildred him. How come??
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he know you were from a Jewish family?
Are any Jewish customs relevant? Sabbath-related ones?
Did he think you were religious?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 935

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 7:29 pm:
Did he know you were from a Jewish family?I assume he inferred it from my last name & appearance
Are any Jewish customs relevant? yes Sabbath-related ones? no
Did he think you were religious? yope
Ollyrukes (Ollyrukes)
Username: Ollyrukes

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to do with religious holidays?
christmas?
channukah? (or however you spell it)
Easter?
to do with religious tradition?
circumcision?
to do with negative (and incorrect) sterotypes about Jews?
Killing christ? (like the nutcase mel gibson)
Hoarding money?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kosher food laws relevant?
Lighting of candles/the menorah?
Is there a wordplay or double meaning involved in the answer at all?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ollyrukes (Ollyrukes)
Username: Ollyrukes

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:21 am:
to do with religious holidays? no
christmas? no
channukah? (or however you spell it) no
Easter? no
to do with religious tradition? yes
circumcision? no
to do with negative (and incorrect) sterotypes about Jews? negative, no. incorrect, yesish
Killing christ? no (like the nutcase mel gibson)
Hoarding money? no
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 407

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:20 pm:
Kosher food laws relevant? yes
Lighting of candles/the menorah? no
Is there a wordplay or double meaning involved in the answer at all? no
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, ok. Is it about mixing milk and meat?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woodworm (Woodworm)

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:26 pm:
Ah, ok. Is it about mixing milk and meat?no
Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

general kosher laws? or passover kosher laws?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

8-2001

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:52 pm:
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:26 pm:
Ah, ok. Is it about mixing milk and meat?no
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 349

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 9:16 pm:
general kosher laws?yes or passover kosher laws? no
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 936
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he assume you would not want to eat a certain food? Pork? Other pig-product? Shellfish?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 936

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:39 am:
Did he assume you would not want to eat a certain food?noish or yope Pork? yes Other pig-product? possibly Shellfish? no
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so he tried to help you avoid eating pork?
were you in fact eating pork? or were you about to? or did you say you were going to eat something containing pork products? did he think you were unaware of a pork product in something?

did he stop you eating something? try to? did he try to stop you buying something?

was he offering you food? had he made something for you to eat? something kosher? thinking you would want it?

was you response that bewildered him - rejecting something he was offering you? getting cross with him? eating something he wasn't expecting you to? eating something with pork in it? eating something without pork in it?

is the exact foodstuff here relevant? was it something which unexpectedly contains pork products? (like some pink sugary pig shaped sweets we recently offered to a vegetarian before realising they contained pork gelatine - yuck!)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 666

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:25 pm:
so he tried to help you avoid eating pork? yope
were you in fact eating pork? no or were you about to? no or did you say you were going to eat something containing pork products? yope did he think you were unaware of a pork product in something? no

did he stop you eating something? no try to? no did he try to stop you buying something? no

was he offering you food? yope had he made something for you to eat? yopesomething kosher? no thinking you would want it? no

was you response that bewildered him - rejecting something he was offering you? no getting cross with him? no eating something he wasn't expecting you to? no eating something with pork in it? no eating something without pork in it? yope

is the exact foodstuff here relevant? yes or yesish was it something which unexpectedly contains pork products? no (like some pink sugary pig shaped sweets we recently offered to a vegetarian before realising they contained pork gelatine - yuck!)P No--& I wouldn't say "yuck" to this if the sweets tasted good
Mycroft (Mycroft)
Username: Mycroft

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a selection of similar items on offer, some of which contain pork and some not?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mycroft (Mycroft)
Username: Mycroft

Post Number: 197

Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 9:13 pm:
Is there a selection of similar items on offer, some of which contain pork and some not? yope
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your bewildering response: an action? or an attitude? emotion? anger? happiness? disappointment? laughter?
Did he possibly not invite you to some event because he thought you wouldnt be able to eat the food? Like a pig roast or barbecue? If so, was it your reaction to the non-invition that bewildered him?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 383

Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 9:22 pm:
Your bewildering response: an action?yope or an attitude?yope or yesish emotion? no anger? no happiness? yesishdisappointment? no laughter? no
Did he possibly not invite you to some event because he thought you wouldnt be able to eat the food? no Like a pig roast or barbecue? no If so, was it your reaction to the non-invition that bewildered him?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: This puzzle would work with pork products (including ham, bacon, etc.) but not with lobster, which is also taboo for religious Jews
Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he trying to be considerate to you? or to someone else?
Senorina_illuminata (Senorina_illuminata)
Username: Senorina_illuminata

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you call him a pig?
eat like a pig?
vice versa?
did you express joy at the sight of the product?
disgust?
references to 'babe?'lol sorry
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 8:16 am:
did you call him a pig? no
eat like a pig?unfortunately not
vice versa? Do you mean did he call me a pig? No
did you express joy at the sight of the product? no

disgust? no
references to 'babe? no'lol sorry
Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Halal relevant?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

underland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1310

Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:46 pm:
Halal relevant? no, although the puzzle could work just as well about an atheist from a Muslim background

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it something to do with a play on words?
rhyming words?
synonyms?
homonyms?
verbal misunderstanding?, like was something misheard by you or by him?
or was he asking you about some religious custom/aspect/tradition/rule/belief, and you did not know the answer to the question?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 28

Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 4:36 am:
is it something to do with a play on words? no
rhyming words? no
synonyms? no
homonyms? no
verbal misunderstanding? noish, like was something misheard by you or by him? no
or was he asking you about some religious custom/aspect/tradition/rule/belief, and you did not know the answer to the question? no
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Since the puzzle would work with pork but bnot with lobster, find out what other non-kosher foods it would & wouldn't work with
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK...other non-kosher foods.

Would this work with:

Rabbit?
Camel?
Other non-cloven-hooved mammals?
Other non-cud-chewing mammals?
Any type of shellfish?
Birds of prey?
Insects?
Reptiles?
Amphibians?
Any other invertebrate animal?
Dairy from any of these listed?
Eggs of any of these listed?
Fat from any of these listed?
Improperly slaughtered animals that are otherwise kosher?
Non-blood-drained animals that are otherwise kosher?
Uncertified foods that are otherwise kosher?
Foods cooked in a non-kosher environment that are otherwise kosher?
Grape products made by non-jews?
Insect infested foods that are otherwise kosher?
Milk with meat?
Fish with meat?
Sea-mammals?

Are there relevant kosher laws other than these that I am missing?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 428

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 4:15 pm:
OK...other non-kosher foods.

Would this work with:

Rabbit?no
Camel?I think not but am not sure
Other non-cloven-hooved mammals? some
Other non-cud-chewing mammals? some
Any type of shellfish? no
Birds of prey? no
Insects? no
Reptiles? I doubt it
Amphibians? ditto
Any other invertebrate animal? I think not
Dairy from any of these listed?some
Eggs of any of these listed? yes
Fat from any of these listed? yes
Improperly slaughtered animals that are otherwise kosher? some
Non-blood-drained animals that are otherwise kosher? some
Uncertified foods that are otherwise kosher? some
Foods cooked in a non-kosher environment that are otherwise kosher? some
Grape products made by non-jews? some
Insect infested foods that are otherwise kosher? some (yeech!!!!!!)
Milk with meat? some cases
Fish with meat? some cases
Sea-mammals?some, maybe all

Are there relevant kosher laws other than these that I am missing? no. Keep in mind that I know very little abt. kosher laws
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 430
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what can I say, I also come from a Jewish family but have no religion of my own...but once I got going my Hebrew school days came flooding back to me...

Ok, is it correct that this acquaintance prepared some kind of food?

If so:

Did he NOT prepare a certain food as an attempt to be considerate?
Did he prepare a certain food as an attempt to be considerate?
Did he prepare both a kosher dish and a non-kosher dish as an attempt to be considerate?

Was your happiness because of the non-kosher dish being served?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 430

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:36 pm:
what can I say, I also come from a Jewish family but have no religion of my own Same here, except that I quit Sundasy school when I was 12...but once I got going my Hebrew school days came flooding back to me...

Ok, is it correct that this acquaintance prepared some kind of food? yes

If so:

Did he NOT prepare a certain food as an attempt to be considerate? no
Did he prepare a certain food as an attempt to be considerate? yope
Did he prepare both a kosher dish and a non-kosher dish as an attempt to be considerate? no

Was your happiness because of the non-kosher dish being served? yes
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the attempt to be considerate involve his decision about what dish to serve? The way he prepared the dish? The way he served the dish? Whether or not he offered any to you?

Is the reason he was preparing food in the first place relevant?
Did he make the food for just 1 person? 2 people? 3? 4? 5?....LTPF list here...
Are you this one person or one of these several people?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 431

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:39 pm:
Does the attempt to be considerate involve his decision about what dish to serve? yes The way he prepared the dish? no The way he served the dish? no Whether or not he offered any to you? yes

Is the reason he was preparing food in the first place relevant?yope
Did he make the food for just 1 person? 2 people? 3? 4? 5?....LTPF list here... irrel
Are you this one person or one of these several people see previous answer
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you think he was trying to be considerate for another reason? trying to help you lose (or not gain) weight?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:12 pm:
did you think he was trying to be considerate for another reason? yes trying to help you lose (or not gain) weight? no
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Unsurprisingly, clever Hannah's latest posting is ORT (on the right track). Find out why!!
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he present some particular dish to you stating that it was "ok for you to eat" or something similar? Or maybe he said he'd understand if you didn't eat what he had prepared? Or that he'd prepared it with you/someone like you in mind? Cholesterol relevant? Health? Did you think he thought you simply wouldn't like something?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bodo (Bodo)

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:27 pm:
Did he present some particular dish to you stating that it was "ok for you to eat" or something similar? no Or maybe he said he'd understand if you didn't eat what he had prepared? no Or that he'd prepared it with you/someone like you in mind? no Cholesterol relevantyes Health? yes Did you think he thought you simply wouldn't like something? no
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he told you something about the ingredients? Preperation? of the dish/meal which you interpreted to mean he was thinking of your cholosterol/BP/whatever? When his real concern was the kosherness of the food? Anything about fat (trans-fat, poly/mono/whatever/saturated, hydrogenized etc.)? Butter? Schmaltz? Lard? Sodium?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

8-2001

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:35 pm:
Bodo (Bodo)

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:27 pm:
Did he present some particular dish to you stating that it was "ok for you to eat" or something similar? no Or maybe he said he'd understand if you didn't eat what he had prepared? no Or that he'd prepared it with you/someone like you in mind? no Cholesterol relevantyes Health? yes Did you think he thought you simply wouldn't like something? no
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 1847

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 11:15 pm:
So he told you something about the ingredients? yope Preperation? no of the dish/meal which you interpreted to mean he was thinking of your cholosterol yes/BP/ nowhatever? When his real concern was the kosherness of the food? yes Anything about fat (trans-fat, poly/mono/whatever/saturated, hydrogenized etc.)?\bP yope} Butter?\
b{ no} Schmaltz? no Lard? yope Sodium? no

This is close enough for me to post a
**SPOILER **********

(especially since I'm desperate to post a new puzzle.When a well-meaning acquaintance was planning a dinner party, he asked me, "Do you eat pork?" "No problem," I replied cheerily."I'm on Lipitor." Huh?" he said. He was wondering if I observed Jewish dietary laws, but that possibility did npot even cross my mind--I guess I'm really not Jewish anymore (if I ever was). Please check out my new, harder, puzzle.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: