[Nimue] Catalyst for Love Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2006 » [Nimue] Catalyst for Love « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As soon as Al gets up & starts walking around, people start saying, "I love you." They're not saying it to him. How come????
Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Al's getting up and/or walking around cause people to say "I love you"? or do the two things just tend to happen at the same time?
Are the people in the same place as Al? can they see him getting up? walking around?
Is Al human? adult?
Gets up: from sleep?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1354

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:01 pm:
Does Al's getting up and/or walking around cause people to say "I love you"? yes or do the two things just tend to happen at the same time? no
Are the people in the same place as Al? yes can they see him getting up? some can walking around? yes
Is Al human? yes adult? yes
Gets up: from sleep? possibly but not necessarily
Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 716
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this happen any time Al gets up? On one specific occasion?
Are the people saying "I love you" saying it to other people in the room? To people over the phone? To no one in particular? To the whole group? Do they truly mean it?
If none of them actually saw Al get up, would they still say it?
Is their saying "I love you" compulsory? voluntary?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beccaann (Beccaann)

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:13 pm:
Does this happen any time Al gets up? On one specific occasion?
Are the people saying "I love you" saying it to other people in the room? possibly To people over the phone? possibly To no one in particular? no To the whole group? no Do they truly mean it? yes
If none of them actually saw Al get up, would they still say it?possibly
Is their saying "I love you" compulsory? no voluntary?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is their saying "I love you" compulsory? no voluntary? yes
Mani (Mani)
Username: Mani

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this happen regularly? or just at one particular moment? (Beccaann already asked this; you forgot to answer it)

Has Al been ill?
Does he get up from a bed? Or a wheelchair?
Is it usual for Al to walk? Or was he previously unable to walk? (Well, I guess he was a little baby who couldn't yet walk at one point... but after that I mean)
Is their 'I love you' directed to some God?
Is it relevant in what language they say 'I love you'?
Does 'I love you' actually mean something else?
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is religion relevant?
Or some particular cultural phenomenon?
Is this part of a ceremony? Does it happen at a specific place? Or a specific kind of place? Does it happen at a specific date? Or recurring specific dates?
Is it relevant what country it takes place in? Relevant what time epoque?
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 699
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do they say 'I love you' in response to something someone says? is it part of a longer conversation? is it part of a longer sentence? do they expect a response? do they say it to get a response?

is valentine's day relevant? mother's day?

is Al getting up the cause of what they say? is there a mutual cause for him getting up and them saying it?

the people who say it - do they form a defined group of some sort? do they all have romantic partners?

is 'I love you' said to romantic partners? family members? platonic friends? co-workers?

is any kind of entertainment relevant? is Al an entertainer?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1852

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:31 pm:
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:13 pm:
Does this happen any time Al gets up? no On one specific occasion? not just one time
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has Al been ill? no
Does he get up from a bed? no Or a wheelchair? no
Is it usual for Al to walk? yes Or was he previously unable to walk? no(Well, I guess he was a little baby who couldn't yet walk at one point... but after that I mean)
Is their 'I love you' directed to some God? no
Is it relevant in what language they say 'I love you'? yes
Does 'I love you' actually mean something else? no
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 111

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:30 pm:
Is religion relevant? yes
Or some particular cultural phenomenon? yes
Is this part of a ceremony? no Does it happen at a specific place? see next answer Or a specific kind of place? yes Does it happen at a specific date?no Or recurring specific dates? no
Is it relevant what country it takes place in? yes Relevant what time epoque? yes
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 699

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:38 pm:
do they say 'I love you' in response to something someone says? no is it part of a longer conversation? yes is it part of a longer sentence? yes do they expect a response? yes do they say it to get a response? possibly

is valentine's day relevant? no mother's day? no

is Al getting up the cause of what they say? yes is there a mutual cause for him getting up and them saying it? no

the people who say it - do they form a defined group of some sort? yesdo they all have romantic partners? not necessarily

is 'I love you' said to romantic partners? possibly family members? possibly platonic friends? less likely co-workers? not unless the co-workers are also family, lovers, or very close friends

is any kind of entertainment relevant? no is Al an entertainer? no
Nimue (Nimue)
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

relevant which religion? christianity? if so, relevant which denomination? Roman catholic?
Jewish? Islam? Buddhism?

is this 'the peace' as shared in christian churches at communion?

do they speak in English? latin? hebrew? arabic?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 701

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:57 pm:
relevant which religion? yes christianity? no if so, relevant which denomination? Roman catholic?
Jewish? no Islam? yes Buddhism? no

is this 'the peace' as shared in christian churches at communion? no

do they speak in English?possibly latin? no hebrew?possibly arabic? no
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so it has to do with Islam but they don't speak arabic, but possibly English or Hebrew...

Does this take place in a specific country? Or a number of specific countries?

Does it happen in Israel/Palestine? Persia/Iran? Indonesia? USA? Ok, that's enough countries for now, but here are some continents: Asia? (Far East? Middle East? Other part of Asia?) Europe? Africa? North America? South America? Oceania? Antarctis?

Time period? (Insert list of centuries/decades here, from elder paleolithic til today...)

Has Al been lying on the floor?

Does it take place indoors? outdoors?

In a mosque? Ramadan relevant (takes place in different months each year, if I remember correctly)? Some other Muslim holiday?
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is Al even human?

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh opps sorry i didn't see the other post!
Anything to do with taking their hats off in mosques(i am not sure this really happens)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 112

Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:09 am:
Ok, so it has to do with Islam but they don't speak arabic, but possibly English or Hebrew... yes

Does this take place in a specific country? no Or a number of specific countries? no

Does it happen in Israel/Palestine? no Persia/Iran? no Indonesia? no USA? no Ok, that's enough countries for now, but here are some continents: Asia? no (Far East? Middle East? Other part of Asia?) Europe? no Africa? no North America? no South America? no Oceania? no Antarctis? no

Time period? (Insert list of centuries/decades here, from elder paleolithic til today...) 21th century

Has Al been lying on the floor? no

Does it take place indoors? yesish outdoors? no

In a mosque? no Ramadan relevant (takes place in different months each year, if I remember correctly it does--& I once even posted a puzzle whose solution hinged on that fact--but it's not the present puzzle)? no Some other Muslim holiday? no

Post Number: 455

Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:09 am:
is Al even human?

Post Number: 456

Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:10 am:
oh opps sorry i didn't see the other post!
Anything to do with taking their hats off in mosques no(i am not sure this really happens)

Add Your Message Here

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, do you mean that it never happens/happened in any of the 7 continents of the world? Or just that it's not delimited to any specific continent?

Otherwise, does it happen in space? or air? Or at sea?

Indoors -- yesish: does it happen in a boat? In a place with roof and/or walls but not on all sides? In a vehicle of some kind? Inside some man-made structure at all?

So are the people who say 'I love you' muslims? Or it just has to do with Islam in some other way? Is Al muslim? Are any other religions involved?

Was Al lame? Or ill in some other way? Has this already been asked?

Does Al get up 'from something' at all? From out of a hole?

Is Al's real name Al? Is he a well-known figure?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 118

Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:32 am:
Ok, do you mean that it never happens/happened in any of the 7 continents of the world? yes Or just that it's not delimited to any specific continent? no

Otherwise, does it happen in space? see next answer or air? yes Or at sea? no

Indoors -- yesish: does it happen in a boat? no In a place with roof and/or walls but not on all sides? no In a vehicle of some kind? yes Inside some man-made structure at all? yes

So are the people who say 'I love you' muslims? usually not Or it just has to do with Islam in some other way? yes Is Al muslim? possibly but not necessarily Are any other religions involved? no

Was Al lame? no Or ill in some other way? no Has this already been asked? no

Does Al get up 'from something' at all? yes From out of a hole? no

Is Al's real name Al? no Is he a well-known figure? noish
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Al a terrorist? Is 9/11 relevant? Do people realize they're going to die? And they say 'I love you' to each other because they want to say that before they die? Both to their friends and relatives in the plane and to their beloved ones at home?
Senorina_illuminata (Senorina_illuminata)
Username: Senorina_illuminata

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

aww, thats exactly what i was thinking!
good question mani :-)
and it takes place on an aircraft?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 144

Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:47 pm:
Is Al a terrorist?no Is 9/11 relevant? yes Do people realize they're going to die? And they say 'I love you' to each other because they want to say that before they die? yes Both to their friends and relatives in the plane and to their beloved ones at home? yes
Senorina_illuminata (Senorina_illuminata)
Username: Senorina_illuminata

Post Number: 106

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 3:57 am:
aww, thats exactly what i was thinking!
good question mani :-)
and it takes place on an aircraft? yes. This is nearly solved. Just figure out why this happens even though Al in NOT a terrorist. It's easy!!
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Al say something to people as he gets up and walks around? Does Al's getting up and walking around show something to people in the plane? That he's not dead?

He gets up from his seat? Passenger seat? Or is he a pilot?

Is Al actually on the plane? Are all the people who say 'I love you' aboard the plane?

Are there terrorists on the plane at all?

Is this specifically based on some actual reconstruction about what happened aboard one of the 9/11 planes? (I'm not very knowledgeable about that)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

!
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 149

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:40 pm:
Does Al say something to people as he gets up and walks around? no Does Al's getting up and walking around show something to people in the plane? no That he's not dead? no

He gets up from his seat? yes Passenger seat? yes Or is he a pilot? no

Is Al actually on the plane? yes Are all the people who say 'I love you' aboard the plane? yes

Are there terrorists on the plane at all? no

Is this specifically based on some actual reconstruction about what happened aboard one of the 9/11 planes? no (I'm not very knowledgeable about that Neither am I. The 9/11 event gives rise to so much cliched thinking that I've avoided reading about it. The main impact it has had on my life is that it has provided material for some of my puzzles.
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they know that they're going to die even before Al gets up?

Is the plane going to crash? Is there some malfunction on the plane? Out of fuel? Something broke? Are they going to crash into something? If so, into something on the ground? Or into something in the air? Another plane? A helicopter? Or is the plane above water? Is it going to crash into the sea?

Is there something wrong with the pilots? Are there even pilots on the plane? One pilot? Two? More than two? Is at least one pilot dead? Are all of the pilots dead? Any sick/injured pilots?

Does this take place above a specific geographic location?
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the passengers conceive of Al as a 'bad guy'? Or as a good guy? Does something about Al make them connect mentally to the concept of love? Is he a priest? Professor of Love Studies? Religious authority? Hippie?

He walks around: inside the passenger section? Or in the pilot's cabin? Or both? Or somewhere else? Outside the plane? On a wing of the plane?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 702
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does his getting up signify to them (correctly or incorrectly) that they are going to die? are they? does this happen on 9/11? do they hear about the other planes and think they will crash too? is Al a muslim? or do they think he is? and when he gets up they think he is a terrorist?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 151

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:03 am:
So they know that they're going to die even before Al gets up? no

Is the plane going to crash? no Is there some malfunction on the plane? noOut of fuel? no Something broke? no Are they going to crash into something? noIf so, into something on the ground? Or into something in the air? Another plane? A helicopter? Or is the plane above water? irrel Is it going to crash into the sea? no

Is there something wrong with the pilots? no Are there even pilots on the plane? yes One pilot? Two? More than two? the number is irrel Is at least one pilot dead? no Are all of the pilots dead? no Any sick/injured pilots? irrel

Does this take place above a specific geographic location? no
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 152

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:07 am:
Do the passengers conceive of Al as a 'bad guy'? yes Or as a good guy? no Does something about Al make them connect mentally to the concept of love? no Is he a priest? no Professor of Love Studies? irrel. "Professor of love studues???" Religious authority? no Hippie? no

He walks around: inside the passenger section? yes Or in the pilot's cabin? no Or both? no Or somewhere else? no Outside the plane? no On a wing of the plane? no
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 702

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 7:30 pm:
does his getting up signify to them (correctly or incorrectly) that they are going to die? yes are they? no does this happen on 9/11? no do they hear about the other planes and think they will crash too? yes is Al a muslim? possibly but not necessarily or do they think he is? yes and when he gets up they think he is a terrorist?yes

*********SPOILER************
Al is a nerdy, law-abiding sort, but since he is a dark-skinned young man who looks like (& possibly is) an Arab, when he is on a plane & gets up to go to the bathroom, racist passengers (which probably mean most, nowadays) assume he is a terrorist & start calling their families to say "I love you; I'm going to die" or they say this to any loved ones who are sitting with them. This is from a skit by an Arab-American comedian (who also says, Then when we get off, ewveryone stops, shakes my hand, & says, "Thank you for not blowing up the plane.") Sorry it was so easy & please check out my new puzzle you-know-where

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: