[Superman] The trial (probably a qui... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2007 » [Superman] The trial (probably a quickie) « Previous Next »

Superman (Superman)
Username: Superman

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When he was fifteen, he was tried for an offence he obviously did not commit, found guilty and sentenced to death; but no one, not even those dearest to him, tried to help him.
Snoozer (Snoozer)
Username: Snoozer

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fifteen = fifteen years old?
offence = legal offence tried in a court?
he = he = him = him?
he is human, man?
Superman (Superman)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fifteen = fifteen years old? Yes
offence = legal offence tried in a court? Yope
he = he = him = him? Yes
he is human, man? Yes
Snoozer (Snoozer)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

legal offence?
tried in court?
dearest = people who cared about his well-being?
How many would be considered dearest to him? none, 1, 2-5, more?
help him = help him to not get the death sentence?
Superman (Superman)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

legal offence? Yes
tried in court? Yes
dearest = people who cared about his well-being? Yes
How many would be considered dearest to him? none, 1, 2-5, more? Irr
help him = help him to not get the death sentence? Help him at all, console him

Please check out my other two puzzles as well!
Snoozer (Snoozer)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be to anyone's disadvantage if they tried to help him?
Did he confess to the crime?
Was he helping anyone by being sentenced to death?
Is the nature of the crime relevant?
Superman (Superman)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be to anyone's disadvantage if they tried to help him? No
Did he confess to the crime? Irr
Was he helping anyone by being sentenced to death? No
Is the nature of the crime relevant? No
Snoozer (Snoozer)

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the people dearest to him know about:
- the trials
- the death sentence
Were they at all times able to help him? Ie. if they wanted to they could.
Superman (Superman)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the people dearest to him know about:
- the trials
- the death sentence
Were they at all times able to help him? Ie. if they wanted to they could.
Irr - all of the above
Snoozer (Snoozer)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the crime happen a short time before he was tried? Was it within a year? Much longer?
Cookie (Cookie)
Username: Cookie

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he have a brother or a sister?
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sentenced to death = killed by law officials? does it matter the method that he would be killed by? old age? was he going to die anyway?
Phylis (Phylis)
Username: Phylis

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the offense murder?
Snoozer (Snoozer)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By not helping him, would the other people
- gain anything?
- avoid trouble? Legal/financial/reputation
- protect someone?
Was he a scapegoat?
Was the trial legally correct (by Western standards)?
Was the death sentence ever carried out?
Did anyone appeal or declare a mistrial?
Superman (Superman)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the crime happen a short time before he was tried? Was it within a year? Much longer? FA, remember I said he did NOT commit the crime

Does he have a brother or a sister? Irr

sentenced to death = killed by law officials? In the sense that that is what 'sentenced to death' means, yes
does it matter the method that he would be killed by? old age? was he going to die anyway?
All FA
Superman (Superman)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I meant that the last three are FAs
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take it he wasn't executed? does it matter what the exact crime was? did the real criminal confess? was he set free?
Superman (Superman)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take it he wasn't executed? No, he wasn't does it matter what the exact crime was? No did the real criminal confess? FA was he set free? Yope
Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 865
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this a real trial? or part of a mock trial/mock court competition?
Snoozer (Snoozer)

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he escape?
Was he set free legaly?
Had it been more difficult to set him free if anyone had interfered with the court?
Is the country or when this happened relevant?
Superman (Superman)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this a real trial? or part of a mock trial/mock court competition?
SPOILER: It was a mock trial. CONGRATULATIONS Beccaann, be sure to check out my other puzzles, including my new one at bottom.
Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 868
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, well, I have years of mock trial under my belt, and some mock trial coaching so it only seemed natural...I never thought it would actually be the answer!!!
Superman (Superman)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good job, hope you liked it!
Try my other puzzles!
Rubberduck (Rubberduck)
Username: Rubberduck

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bummer, my daughter is very active in mock trials and it never occurred to me that that was the answer. Keep those puzzles coming.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: