[Feenwelt] A nerd drowns Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2007 » [Feenwelt] A nerd drowns « Previous Next »

Feenwelt (Feenwelt)
Username: Feenwelt

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He followed the instructions carefully ... and drowned.
Sorry, I haven't been here for quite a while. I hope this puzzle hasn't run already.
Danielvs (Danielvs)
Username: Danielvs

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He: human? adult? in real world? in a game?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3244
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dietmar!
Did one of the instructions say 'submerge in water'?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Danielvs: He: human? yes adult? {yes} in real world? yes in a game? no

Hi Lynne, still alive and kickin', as I see...
Here should be a smiley, but the old forum shortcuts don't seem to apply anymore. Just imagine one.
Did one of the instructions say 'submerge in water'? not quite right, but close. The answer (and the instruction) was more specific
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a pill which said to be taken in water?
Danielvs (Danielvs)

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the instruction written? Spoken?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter: was it a pill which said to be taken in water? no

Daniel: Was the instruction written? Spoken? written
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a plant or flower and the instructions said "stand in water"?
Jude2601 (Jude2601)
Username: Jude2601

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the instructions someting like "Do not breathe when under water"?
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 349
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did something say to place your head under water and then just assume people would realise they had to surface to breathe
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter: Was it a plant or flower and the instructions said "stand in water"? no
Jude: Was the instructions someting like "Do not breathe when under water"? no
Damia: did something say to place your head under water and then just assume people would realise they had to surface to breathe no
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Satnavs relevant at all?
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 787
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might know this one, scratch and sniff relevant?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

woodworm: Satnavs relevant at all? only marginally, so better: no
crazypalpig: I might know this one, scratch and sniff relevant? no
Thestreetdetective (Thestreetdetective)
Username: Thestreetdetective

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

by drowning do you mean he died? is it in the literal sense of drowning? Can he swim? Did the instruction forbade him the use of his arms?legs?
Why the purpose of the direction for him to indeed committ suicide by drowning?
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any vehicles involved? car? boat?

any other people involved?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant? If he is a "nerd", is it connected to technology?
If anyone followed these instructions, would they drown? Or was there something specific about his circumstances that meant he drowned in this particular case?
Was it sensible for him to follow these instructions? Would most peolple have followed them?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Streetdetective: by drowning do you mean he died? yes is it in the literal sense of drowning? no, "drown" as in "dead"
Can he swim? yes
Did the instruction forbade him the use of his arms?legs? no
Why the purpose of the direction for him to indeed committ suicide by drowning? no

Damia: any vehicles involved? car? boat? good question, car is involved, no other vehicles
any other people involved? no

Enjay: Is the title relevant? well, not much, no If he is a "nerd", is it connected to technology? yes, and that's the only relevance of the title
If anyone followed these instructions, would they drown? except maybe a handfull of people in the world, yes
Or was there something specific about his circumstances that meant he drowned in this particular case? no, you and I would drown, too
Was it sensible for him to follow these instructions? no, it was stupid, but it is a fictional story and he is a fictional stupid nerd
Would most peolple have followed them? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You say it's marginally connected to satnavs and is connected to technology. Is it another type of direction system? Did the instructions lead him into water? Did he drive his car into water? Was he following a map, and there was some error which led him into water?
Rufus (Rufus)
Username: Rufus

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a normal car? Were the instructions relevant to the car? like alteration of the car?
Danielvs (Danielvs)

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weather relevant?
Were the instructions written in the car's manual? Anywhere else inside the car?
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he end up in the car underwater?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this connected to Google maps? Crossing the Atlantic Ocean?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay: You say it's marginally connected to satnavs and is connected to technology. Is it another type of direction system? yes Did the instructions lead him into water? yes Did he drive his car into water? no Was he following a map, and there was some error which led him into water? no

Rufus: Is it a normal car? yes Were the instructions relevant to the car? no like alteration of the car? no

Danielvs: Weather relevant? no
Were the instructions written in the car's manual? no Anywhere else inside the car? no

Martinfg: Did he end up in the car underwater? no

Enjay: Is this connected to Google maps? Crossing the Atlantic Ocean? yes to both. Do you want to spoil?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, assuming you had the same experince I did...
On Google Maps you can type in your starting point and the destination and it will give you directions. If you ask it to go from England to America (and probably any other journey involving crossing the Atlantic) one of the directions reads "Swim across the Atlantic Ocean". Anyone stupid enough to follow this would drown. Correct?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correct and that makes a
***** SPOILER *****

I tried with Hamburg - Miami.
:-)

Thank you for playing this.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was actually going to use this to create my own puzzle...but it somehow took me this long to connect that with your puzzle! it was a good one I'm just sorry you took it before I did! :-)
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone stupid enough to follow this would drown. Correct?

Not entirely. Benoit Lecomte, who in 1998 became the first man to swim the Atlantic, would beg to differ.
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How interesting - I put in London to Paris and it doesn't tell me to swim the Channel, but I do have to take a slight left at Dover-Calais (25.6 miles).
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

but I do have to take a slight left at Dover-Calais (25.6 miles).

Just keep an eye out for the trains, and you'll be fine. Mind you, it may be a bit easier to start from Folkestone than Dover - unless Google Maps also advises you to bring a shovel.
Katy (Katy)
Username: Katy

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apprently a particular combination tells you to climb Everest - I'm still looking for that though

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: