[Tobasi] The cork in the bottle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2007 » [Tobasi] The cork in the bottle « Previous Next »

Tobasi (Tobasi)
Username: Tobasi

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of you might have heard of this nice practical puzzle before, I don't know who made it up. I saw it on british TV and the solution is certainly not google proof (so please don't spoyl). If you haven't heard of this one try it out at home and I will answer your questions.

You need an empty transparent wine bottle. Push the cork of the bottle inside so that it is trapped. Using only objects you can find in a kitchen, how can you get out the cork again (without breaking cork or bottle)?
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't heard this one, so I'll give it a try:
here are a few kitchen items:
paperclip?
corkscrew?
steak knife? other type of knife?

way to use item:
paperclip--straighten out/hook into the cork?
corkscrew--twist into cork and pull out?
steak knife--slide into cork and twist while pulling out?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 753
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume that the cork has to come out in one piece? Is anything sharp inserted into the cork? Does it have to be a natural cork for this to work (as opposed to those modern non-oxidising corks)?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Booklover:
here are a few kitchen items:
paperclip?
corkscrew?
steak knife? other type of knife?
none of these items, I'm afraid

way to use item:
paperclip--straighten out/hook into the cork? I think that the paperclip wouldn't be strong enough to outweigh the friction.
corkscrew--twist into cork and pull out? The helix of a corkscrew is in general not longer than neck of a bottle and even so you would have to immobilise the cork.
steak knife--slide into cork and twist while pulling out? The same as for the paperclip I guess.

Hello Woodworm:
I assume that the cork has to come out in one piece? correct
Is anything sharp inserted into the cork? no
Does it have to be a natural cork for this to work (as opposed to those modern non-oxidising corks)? Both of them would work.
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would the item be a:

kitchen tool--like one you would find in a drawer?
item from refrigerator?
item from freezer?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would the item be a:

kitchen tool--like one you would find in a drawer? possibly
item from refrigerator? no
item from freezer? no
Superman (Superman)
Username: Superman

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Water is used at all ?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Water is used at all ? no water is used
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the bottle heated?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the bottle heated? no
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so, if nothing sharp went into the cork, did something dull go into the cork?

does something actually penetrate the cork? if so, do you push the item through the cork or just into the cork?

is there a twisting motion used to get the cork out? pulling motion?

how many items do you use to get the cork out?
1? 2? 3 or more?

hmmmm...doesn't have anything to do with magnets, does it? like putting something metallic on the cork and pulling it out with a strong magnet?

am I correct in my assumption that you have to hold the bottle with one hand while using the tool?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 757
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the process involve shrinking the cork in some way?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so, if nothing sharp went into the cork, did something dull go into the cork? no

does something actually penetrate the cork? no
if so, do you push the item through the cork or just into the cork? n/a

is there a twisting motion used to get the cork out? no
pulling motion? yes

how many items do you use to get the cork out?
1? this 2? 3 or more?

hmmmm...doesn't have anything to do with magnets, does it? no
like putting something metallic on the cork and pulling it out with a strong magnet? so no

am I correct in my assumption that you have to hold the bottle with one hand while using the tool? yes

Does the process involve shrinking the cork in some way? Pushing the cork in it has to shrink in a way to get it through the neck. The same holds for the way you get it out again. But the shrinking is more a consequence there is no active or permanent shrinking involved.
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is a liquid put into the bottle? a gas?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 405
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is a liquid put into the bottle? no a gas? no
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 951
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, using regular kitchen items... Is something like a sling put into it and then pulled out? A regular winebottle, only one hole?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3258
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you lie the bottle on its side in order that the cork can lie end upward (no use trying to pull it through sideways) and add superglue to something narrow enough to get through the neck but wide enough to pull the cork back through once the glue is firm?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, using regular kitchen items... Is something like a sling put into it and then pulled out? noish, but on the right track
A regular winebottle, only one hole? yes

Would you lie the bottle on its side in order that the cork can lie end upward (no use trying to pull it through sideways) and add superglue to something narrow enough to get through the neck but wide enough to pull the cork back through once the glue is firm? This might work but there is a simpler solution without glue.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything sticky involved? Is anything attached to the cork in any way?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything sticky involved? no
Is anything attached to the cork in any way? no, not in an active way
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is enought force applied to pull the cork out against the friction? Or is it done in a different way, eg by somehow enlarging the neck of the bottle?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is enought force applied to pull the cork out against the friction? yes
Or is it done in a different way, eg by somehow enlarging the neck of the bottle? no
Zenith (Zenith)
Username: Zenith

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pressure within the bottle used to force the cork out?

i.e: An acid/base reaction used to produce carbon dioxide gas within the bottle?

For example, if I were to try doing that, I'd pour vinegar into the bottle, followed by some sodium bicarbonate and then quickly turn the bottle upside down. It'd make a mess, but it'd get the cork out!
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pressure within the bottle used to force the cork out? no

i.e: An acid/base reaction used to produce carbon dioxide gas within the bottle?

For example, if I were to try doing that, I'd pour vinegar into the bottle, followed by some sodium bicarbonate and then quickly turn the bottle upside down. It'd make a mess, but it'd get the cork out!
I wonder if this could work. You would have to clamp the cork somehow in the neck because otherwise it would float on the mixture (the bottle being upside down).
Anyway there is a way to get it out without making a mess. The process is a little bit tricky but the tool is something that all of you use every day (even if you are not in the cork in the bottle situation).
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the tool an item of cutlery? something used in cooking? is it larger than a spoon?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the tool an item of cutlery? no
something used in cooking? no
is it larger than a spoon? yes
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

umm can't really think of anything larger than a spoon not used for cooking that I use every day... maybe a tin opener? some sort of china? bowl? plate? not sure how any of those could help get a cork out tho
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

umm can't really think of anything larger than a spoon not used for cooking that I use every day... maybe a tin opener? no
some sort of china? no bowl? no plate? no
not sure how any of those could help get a cork out tho you don't find this item exclusively in the kitchen
Foulglory (Foulglory)
Username: Foulglory

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know one way, but I'm not sure if it's the one you're thinking of.....mine involves an item found mostly in supermarkets.
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know one way, but I'm not sure if it's the one you're thinking of.....mine involves an item found mostly in supermarkets. I think that this is the item I am looking for.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the item made of plastic? Wood? Metal? Is it a carrier bag?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the item made of plastic? yes Wood? Metal? Is it a carrier bag? yes
So how do you have to use it?

Post Number: 997
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you put the bag into the bottle, tip it upside down, then take the bag with the cork out?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you put the bag into the bottle, tip it upside down, then take the bag with the cork out?
Yes, more or less. If nobody wants to add anything or to try out at home I will spoyl.

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Foulglory: Kinda need help wiht additions. Is it relevant how you get the bag in so the cork is not underneath it?
Foulglory (Foulglory)
Username: Foulglory

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Foulglory: Kinda need help wiht additions.OK

By the way, I think that you can also put the bag in, get the cork side by side with the bag and inflate the bag. Then, pull it out. It will come out with the bag.
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

------------SPOILER------------

There is also a nice film on youtube.

Thank you for playing. This may be useful to you one day, say to send a message in a bottle from a lonely island.
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good puzzle. For some reason, I kept thinking the cork was in the bottle but lodged in the neck. Thanks for the video--I do much better with visuals! I'll have to try this!

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This deals with taking it out, so how would this help with sending a message?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well...you're stuck on a desert island with nothing but a bottle (and a carrier bag), but unfortunately someone has pushed the cork into it! What do you do? :-)
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 439
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some paper and a pencil would be useful too. Otherwise all the magic would be in vain...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: