[BeccaAnn] The Power of Words, a late... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2007 » [BeccaAnn] The Power of Words, a lateral adventure... « Previous Next »

Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is my first attempt at a lateral adventure. I hope you enjoy it!!

You wake up with a start. “My, that’s strange,” you think. “I don’t even remember falling asleep!” You start to get up when you realize that you aren’t at home. You aren’t anywhere you’ve ever been before. You are in a strange room. Everything is white. You see four doors, one on each wall, and nothing else but the bed you were just sleeping on. As you go to stand up, a man comes in through one of the doors. “Who are you?” you ask. He doesn’t answer. He tells you “you can leave, but only if you prove that you can think your way out.” “What do you mean?” you ask. “I am going to lock this door,” he says “and will unlock it only when you have in your possession a feather, a bone and a piece of candy. Then, and only then, can you go home.” The man steps out, and you can hear the key turning in the lock.
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the bed closely
Examine all four walls
Try all four doors and examine them
Examine the floor and ceiling
Check your pockets, see what you have with you
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the bed closely The bed is unremarkable. Queen sized, White sheets. White blanket. There's no headboard or footboard. It's sitting about a foot off the floor. It looks like there's something under there...
Examine all four walls The walls are plain white. Nothing on them
Try all four doors and examine them The door that the man left through is locket tight. It's a white painted wooden door. The 1st of the other three is an identical looking door..it's not locked. Same for the 2nd and 3rd doors.
Examine the floor and ceiling The floor is plain white tile, and the ceiling plain white as well. Not even a fan. There is one single recessed light in the ceiling.
Check your pockets, see what you have with you No pockets. Just pajamas. I don't have anything with me.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look under the bed
Open each of the unlocked doors and look through. What do you see?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look under the bed There is a wooden chest, about the size of a shoebox. There is a combination lock on the chest. Seven digits. Except, they aren't numbers, they are letters. The only letters on the lock are A, C, D, E, K, R, and Y. It is currently set so the letters spell DRYCAKE. The chest isn't locked.
Open each of the unlocked doors and look through. What do you see? behind each door are identical tiny rooms. Each room has another door straight ahead. All are unlocked. Each room also has a cabinet on the left wall.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything inside the chest?
Can you open the cabinets in the tiny rooms? If so, what is in them? Open the doors on the far sides of the little rooms and look through. What do you see? Is it, by chance, another tinier room? :-)
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything inside the chest? yes...there's a piece of cake. No icing. It's old and dried out.
Can you open the cabinets in the tiny rooms?no, there are no handles, and they seems locked pretty securely. If so, what is in them?
Open the doors on the far sides of the little rooms and look through. What do you see? Is it, by chance, another tinier room? :-)
Through the first of the three new doors is a large open space. It feels like the outdoors, but it seems to be a large dome. There are flowers everywhere, a brick pathway and a little stream. The only strange thing is a big metal box sitting on a stand just inside the door.

Through the second of the doors is another big white room, but suspended from the ceiling is a giant orb. It's a pale blueish green color. There's another one of those metal boxes too.

Through the third of the doors is a little closet. There is nothing on the shelves except a pair of ice skates, and another metal box.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rearrange the letters of the combination so they spell CARDKEY. Then open the chest again. Do you find anything different?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, can you open the metal boxes in the 3 new rooms? If not, what kind of lock do they have? If so, what is inside them?
Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't suppose the bed has a pillow, with feathers?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rearrange the letters of the combination so they spell CARDKEY. Then open the chest again. Do you find anything different? why yes, now there's a white card with an magnetic stripe. A card key I imagine. There's nothing on it to indicate what it goes to...

Also, can you open the metal boxes in the 3 new rooms? If not, what kind of lock do they have? If so, what is inside them? yes, all three have an electric device inside. There are no buttons or markings, just a slot which might very well be a card reader.

I don't suppose the bed has a pillow, with feathers?It has a pillow, but it is made from a synthetic material
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 885
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please insert card into slot, if you'd be so kind.
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please insert card into slot, if you'd be so kind.Hmm..which slot? There are three, you know.

I will try the slot in the machine in the 1st room...

All that happens is a loud click that sounds like it came from the small room behind me. Nothing seems to have changed in the room I'm in. After a couple seconds, the machine ejects the card.
Lshooter3k (Lshooter3k)
Username: Lshooter3k

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try the cabinet in the 1st room, has the electric device open it? If so what's inside?

Try the card key on the other 2 electric devices, and try the cabinets too.
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about Rack dye?I am burning my brain over woodworms...

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deck ray?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try the cabinet in the 1st room, has the electric device open it?yes, it's open now. If so what's inside? There are six shelves in the cabinet. Each shelf has a wooden block on it. The blocks are about 6 inches long, 1 inch tall and 1 inch deep. They all have writing on them. Top to bottom, the blocks say:

NOT BAD/NOT HIDEOUS

NOT RELATIVE/NOT SLEEPING

NOT COMMON/NOT FAKE

NOT ACCIDENTAL/NOT SMART

NOT TERRIBLE/NOT ODD

NOT ALWAYS/NOT OLD.

Try the card key on the other 2 electric devices, and try the cabinets too. Both of the cabinets opened when I inserted the card. Inside the second cabinet are another six shelves, with similar blocks. These blocks, from top to bottom, say:

TROUSERS FREE FROM INSECTS

AGREEMENT MADE WITHOUT MALES

BETRAYAL LACKING CAUSE

A SERVER WITHOUT A DRINK

LARGE APPETITE FREE FROM THE LARGER

LISTEN, BUT NOT WITH THAT GIRL

The third cabinet also opened. Again, there are six shelves with blocks on them. These read:

POTASSIUM

SODIUM

HYDROGEN

CALCIUM

BORON

POTASSIUM

How about Rack dye?I am burning my brain over woodworms...

Nothing is in the chest if I do this

Deck ray? Nothing is in the chest if I do this, either. I've never heard of a rack dye or a deck ray, so I'm not surprised.
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try to turn the blocks? or take the blocks out? or move them up and down? can you swap them between shelves?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try to turn the blocks? or take the blocks out? or move them up and down? can you swap them between shelves?

they aren't connected to the shelves or anything. I can move them however I want.
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok on the elements one, put them in their numerical order: hydrogen on the top, then boron, sodium, potassium, potassium and calcium

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take out all the blocks, and put them in one pile in that case. I doubt there is anything we can do without jumbling them all up. The second cabinet seems like it has phrases, odd ones. The first, maybe,
new/pretty
The words I get here are super long, so I don't think they are correct
Uncommon, real
purposely, dolt(Or another word that means kinda like that}
Good/ even
sometimes/new
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok on the elements one, put them in their numerical order: hydrogen on the top, then boron, sodium, potassium, potassium and calcium As soon as I took the blocks off the shelf, the ice skates vanished from the closet. I put them back in numerical order. Nothing happened.

Take out all the blocks, and put them in one pile in that case. I doubt there is anything we can do without jumbling them all up.

whenever I take any blocks out of the cabinets, everything disappears from the outer rooms except the card-key scanners. Putting them in the chest has no effect.

The second cabinet seems like it has phrases, odd ones. The first, maybe,
new/pretty
The words I get here are super long, so I don't think they are correct
Uncommon, real
purposely, dolt(Or another word that means kinda like that}
Good/ even
sometimes/new

perhaps some of this is relevant. Is there anything you'd like me to do with these new words?
Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Replace the element blocks in this order: potassium, calcium, boron, hydrogen, sodium, potassium.

If that doesn't help, try: potassium, calcium, hydrogen, sodium, boron, potassium
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Replace the element blocks in this order: potassium, calcium, boron, hydrogen, sodium, potassium. Done. The closet now looks more like a meat cooler. It's full of steaks.

If that doesn't help, try: potassium, calcium, hydrogen, sodium, boron, potassium The other combination seemed to work. But, just for the heck of it...if I put the blocks in this order, I sure enough end up with a closet full of sharp wooden stakes.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back through Door 1, if you please. Here you can see a GARDEN, yes? Now rearrange blocks in cabinet 1 as follows:

NOT ACCIDENTAL/NOT SMART
NOT ALWAYS/NOT OLD
NOT BAD/NOT HIDEOUS
NOT TERRIBLE/NOT ODD
NOT COMMON/NOT FAKE

Does this spell danger? Does anything happen? If not, repeat for GANDER and RANGED.

If you are still alive and have not been abducted by geese/snakes, go through Door 2, where the orb-like structure seems to have a blue-green PATINA. Does it look suitably like a patina?

Now rearrange blocks in cabinet 2, thus:

BETRAYAL LACKING CAUSE
A SERVER WITHOUT A DRINK

and I hope that a snake appears. A venomous one?
A taipan?

If you're still alive, proceed through door 3 and look at cabinet 3. We had SKATES (simple cipher of atomic numbers, a=1 etc.) but they vanished. So try rearranging the elements thus:

K, Ca, B, H, Na, K. Any steaks?

If not, try:

K, Ca, H, Na, B, K. Any stakes?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 898
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, crossposted about the steaks. Sorry. You could eat one of them while you're about it.

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right now, I'm guessing that each of these cabinets will give us some sort of bone, a feather, and a piece of candy like in a crossword puzzle. Are those steaks fillets? If not, do as Woodworm said, and then take one of the bones!
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back through Door 1, if you please. Here you can see a GARDEN, yes? Now rearrange blocks in cabinet 1 as follows:

NOT ACCIDENTAL/NOT SMART
NOT ALWAYS/NOT OLD
NOT BAD/NOT HIDEOUS
NOT TERRIBLE/NOT ODD
NOT COMMON/NOT FAKE

Does this spell danger? It does...
Does anything happen? The room through the door is gone...there is not floor...if I stepped out I would fall, and I don't know to where. I don't like this at all....
If not, repeat for GANDER and RANGED.
Ranged doesn't seem to have any effect.
Gander results in about what I would expect. A little room with nothing in it but a goose.

If you are still alive and have not been abducted by geese/snakes, go through Door 2, where the orb-like structure seems to have a blue-green PATINA. Does it look suitably like a patina?indeed it does.

Now rearrange blocks in cabinet 2, thus:

BETRAYAL LACKING CAUSE
A SERVER WITHOUT A DRINK

and I hope that a snake appears. A venomous one? yes! why would you hope for that!! This thing is scary!
A taipan? Yeah, sure, why don't we make it go away now!

If you're still alive, proceed through door 3 and look at cabinet 3. We had SKATES (simple cipher of atomic numbers, a=1 etc.) but they vanished. So try rearranging the elements thus:

K, Ca, B, H, Na, K. Any steaks?

If not, try:

K, Ca, H, Na, B, K. Any stakes?

see last post

Oops, crossposted about the steaks. Sorry. You could eat one of them while you're about it. Good idea. It was delicious.
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right now, I'm guessing that each of these cabinets will give us some sort of bone, a feather, and a piece of candy like in a crossword puzzle.
Are those steaks fillets?no
If not, do as Woodworm said, and then take one of the bones!Done. I have a bone! One down, 2 to go.
Zenith (Zenith)
Username: Zenith

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Geese are still in room 1, correct? If so, see if you can't obtain a goose feather.

rearrange the TAIPAN to PINATA in room 2.
If a Pinata appears, hit it with your bone...

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good thinking, but let's see it we cant break that without using the bone: You never know, it might break!

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an idea! change to room of steaks into stakes, and use that to hit the pinata! If you can't get a feather off the goose, throw the stake at him
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Geese are still in room 1, correct?correct. well, one goose anyway. If so, see if you can't obtain a goose feather. That goose sure is mad now, but I have in my possesion a feather!!

rearrange the TAIPAN to PINATA in room 2.
If a Pinata appears, hit it with your bone...Yes, there's a pinata!
It took a couple of good whacks, but it busted open alright! And spilled candy all over the floor!

Good thinking, but let's see it we cant break that without using the bone: You never know, it might break!No big deal. I gt that thing open pretty quick

I had an idea! change to room of steaks into stakes, and use that to hit the pinata! If you can't get a feather off the goose, throw the stake at him. Again, no worries. I've got the feather. I've got an irate goose, but 've got a feather too. Now I just pick up a piece of that candy...

*****************SPOILER*******************

You wake up with a start, again. You are in your room at home now. That was a very strange dream. You stumble out of bed and open your bedroom door. There, sitting on your couch is the man from the strange dream. He smiles at you. "You've proved yourself," he says. "We need your help,,,"

To be continued...(in my next puzzle!)

And, just for the sake of anyone who didn't catch the reasoning for rearranging the blocks:

Not Bad/Not Hideous=Good/Gorgeous=G
Not Relative/Not Sleeping=Absolute/Awake=A
Not Common/Not Fake=Rare/Real=R
Not Accidental/Not Smart=Deliberate/Dumb=D
Not Terrible/Not Odd=Excellent/Even=E
Not Always/Not Old=Never/New=N

Trousers free from insects=Pants-ants=P
Agreement made without males=Amen-men=A
Betrayal lacking cause=Treason-reason=T
Server without a drink=Waiter-water=I
Large appetite free from the larger=Hunger-huger=N
Listen, but not with that girl=Hear-her=A

Potassium=Atomic # 19, 19th letter in alphabet= S
Sodium=Atomic # 11, 11th letter in alphabet=K
Hydrogen=Atomic # 1, 1st letter in alphabet=A
Calcium=Atomic # 20, 20th letter in alphabet=T
Boron=Atomic # 5, 5th letter in alphabet=E
Potassium=Atomic # 19, 19th letter in alphabet=S

I had fun with that! I hope you guys did too. More to come, once I work out the details!!
Deathateaster (Deathateaster)
Username: Deathateaster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was the best puzzle I have ever seen, well done.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 428
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I thought I was so clever working out the CARDKEY bit...great puzzle though!
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 900
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, absolutely brilliant. I liked the red herrings: taipan, danger, stakes. Also, those chemical elements are an anagram of "hack bank", which was doing my head in for ages.

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle went quicker then I thought! This was hard, not to mention it went in 40 posts!
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It went quicker than I expected as well. Which is why part two isn't ready yet. The next part will probably take a little longer!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: