[Ixoye] Global secret uncovered Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2007 » [Ixoye] Global secret uncovered « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of us may expect part of the world's population to exhibit anti-social behavior, for some reason, if we happened to be in their vicinity at a certain geographical point on the planet.

This one is inspired by the recent Jewish Pirate puzzle - please have fun with it!
Tobasi (Tobasi)
Username: Tobasi

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is music relevant? a song? lyrics?
So we should find out the geographical point?
north america? south america? europe? africa? asia? australia? antartica?
Some of us: a particular group of people? a family? colleagues? people sharing a hobby? strangers?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is music relevant? a song? lyrics? Yes, all of these are involved
So we should find out the geographical point? Yes, that would be helpful
north america? No, but... south america? Yes, this is the general area europe? Not this, but... africa? this is involved also asia? australia? antartica? None of these
Some of us: a particular group of people? Yes, with one silly thing in common
a family? colleagues? people sharing a hobby? strangers? Possibly any of these that share the "silly" common denominator
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh no!!! music and lyrics are relevant? music in the 70's or 80's? If it is, I am out.

French Guinea? Guinea? Suriname? Brasil? Peru? Ecuador? Chile? Argentina?Bolivia? Paraguay? Uraguay? Columbo? Venezuala?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh no!!! music and lyrics are relevant? music in the 70's or 80's? If it is, I am out. Yes, it's lyrics from 80's music, but you may know more than you think

French Guinea? Guinea? Suriname? Brasil? This one
Peru? Ecuador? Chile? Argentina?Bolivia? Paraguay? Uraguay? Columbo? Venezuala?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The point in Brazil: Rio de Janeiro? Sao Paulo? another city? in the rain forest? on the coast? on the equator?
Is this about a rock song? a pop song? a song of a close genre?
Performed by a singer? a group?
Coming from Europe? US? Brazil?
With english lyrics?
Is your statement more or less taken from the lyrics of the song?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Men at Work's land down under mentions brazil in it i'm fairly sure.? is it this.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The point in Brazil: Rio de Janeiro? Sao Paulo? another city? in the rain forest? on the coast? on the equator? Doesn't matter, Brazil is as specific as you need to be
Is this about a rock song? a pop song? Rock/popa song of a close genre?
Performed by a singer? a group? Group
Coming from Europe? US? Brazil? Not from US or Brazil
With english lyrics? Yes
Is your statement more or less taken from the lyrics of the song? Yes, but not the accurate lyrics ;)

Men at Work's land down under mentions brazil in it i'm fairly sure.? I know this song mentions "a man from Brussels", but I don't recall a mention of Brazil, but... is it this. ...it's not this song, so N/A
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell me it's not the girl from Ipanema who walks by?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 901
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we need a word or phrase that's synonymous with "exhibit antisocial behaviour"? Any of the following verbs relevant: Riot? Shout? Fart? Sulk? Scratch? Pick one's nose?

Does the word Brazil actually appear in the modified lyrics? I am assuming that the solution is something tortuous along the lines of "Hans who does dishes is as soft as Gervaise with a mild, green, hairy-lipped squid"? Along those lines? An innocent mishearing (like my rabbi) or more or a shaggy-dog joke-style mutation? Does the real lyric mention Brazil? Something that rhymes with Brazil?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell me it's not the girl from Ipanema who walks by? No, this has nothing to do with her

Do we need a word or phrase that's synonymous with "exhibit antisocial behaviour"? Yes, precisely
Any of the following verbs relevant: Riot? Shout? Fart? Sulk? Scratch? Pick one's nose?
None of these, but the "verb" may not be the best thing to focus on. All of the behaviors listed above would fall under the category of one of the key words you're looking for
Does the word Brazil actually appear in the modified lyrics? Yes, good q!
I am assuming that the solution is something tortuous along the lines of "Hans who does dishes is as soft as Gervaise with a mild, green, hairy-lipped squid"? Along those lines?

(laughing at your lyrical prowess) You'll find that the words in the actual lyric are quite common, as are the misinterpreted ones

An innocent mishearing (like my rabbi) Yes, which is why your puzzle reminded me of this
or more or a shaggy-dog joke-style mutation? If you were to read the adjusted lyric you may assume that someone intentionally mutated the lyrics as a joke, but supposedly it is due to an innocent misunderstanding
Does the real lyric mention Brazil? No, it doesn't
Something that rhymes with Brazil? Very nearly, yes...much the same as the Bob Marley lyrics worked in the other puzzle
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the group from Europe? Africa? America?
Are they still together?
How many band members: 2? 3? 4? 5? 6? 7? 8?
The typical line-up with: singer? guitar? 2nd guitar? bass? keyboards? drums? any other instruments?
Are they mostly known for the song to be found out? for another song? for a number of songs?
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this group typically perform bare-headed?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the group from Europe? Africa? America? None of these
Are they still together? No
How many band members: 2? 3? 4? 5? 6? 7? 8? It has varied (I believe), with usually 2 or 3 in the group at a time
The typical line-up with: singer? Yes guitar? Yes, sometimes 2nd guitar? Probably not bass? At times keyboards? Without a doubt drums? No any other instruments? Maybe, but doesn't really matter
Are they mostly known for the song to be found out? Yes for another song? 1 or 2 other ones that you may have heard
for a number of songs? Only to their fans
Does this group typically perform bare-headed? That can be said of them, yes
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update to previous post:

Does this group typically perform bare-headed? That can be said of them, yes

Actually, this can only be said of them at certain times, not always
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 927
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaaah ... wicked Woubit. He has it for sure. With his help, I think I have the song and two words of the misheard version. Can't think of the whole shebang, though.

Am I right in thinking this is not a particularly dangerous song?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaaah ... wicked Woubit. He has it for sure. With his help, I think I have the song and two words of the misheard version. Can't think of the whole shebang, though. For all we know, Woubit and hundreds of other people are walking around singing the same mistaken lyrics...

Am I right in thinking this is not a particularly dangerous song? You would be right in thinking that, yes
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure that I have the whole thing by any means. But I have a guess. Would you prefer me to email it, Ixoye?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woubit - send it on!
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye, check your email please.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done, Woubit!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well i'm nowhere near to solving this so can i continue? Is the band Australian? Are they normally associated with Baldness? I'm thinking australian bands here AC/DC, INXS, Midnight Oil? Men At Work?

Bad Manners aren't relevant are they?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well i'm nowhere near to solving this so can i continue? Sure! Anyone else is welcome to join as well!
Is the band Australian? No
Are they normally associated with Baldness? No
I'm thinking australian bands here AC/DC, INXS, Midnight Oil? Men At Work? None of these

Bad Manners aren't relevant are they? Is that a band/group? If so...then no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Bad Manners are a group headed by the splendidly named Buster Bloodvessel?

There was a band in the 80's called Men without Hats who had a song called Safe to Dance or Safety Dance is this relevant? I'm just trying to work out Woubits cryptic clue? Not sure i remember the lyrics though.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah wait a minute there's a line in the song which does sound like Brazil but i think he's singing Imbecile. I was humming this to myself for the last 10 minutes and it came flooding back.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Bad Manners are a group headed by the splendidly named Buster Bloodvessel? Sounds vaugely familiar...

There was a band in the 80's called Men without Hats who had a song called Safe to Dance or Safety Dance is this relevant? YES
I'm just trying to work out Woubits cryptic clue? Not sure i remember the lyrics though.
Maybe someone else would like to take a shot at the mis-heard lyric?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

* SPOILER *

In the second verse of "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats, the following lyric is sung:

I say we can act if want to if we don't nobody will
And you can act real rude and totally removed
And i can act like an imbecile

There has been at least one instance (according to a website that posts mis-interpreted lyrics) where someone heard it as this:

I say we can act if want to if we don't nobody will
And you can act real rude and totally removed
like an African in Brazil
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: