[Nimue] A Picture is Worth. . . Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2007 » [Nimue] A Picture is Worth. . . « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merida made a political statement simply by displaying a picture without words. The picture did not represent any people, animals, plants, or machines, nor did it have a slash indicating disapproval. What was it?????
Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the picture blank?
Did the picture have any symbols on it? Only symbols?

Was the statement about a particular politician? Did it express...

...approval of a particular politician?
...disapproval of a particular politician?

Was the statement about a particular political issue? If so, was the issue related to...

...taxes?
...government spending?
...economic policy?
...labor policy?
...foreign policy?
...health care?
...the environment?
...welfare?
...immigration?
...emigration?
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 989
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant where she displayed the picture?
In an office? Some other place of work? In her home? Her car?
Could I make the same statement by displaying the same picture in any of the above locations? Could anyone?
Is it relevant where Merida lives? USA? Arab country?
Was the picture a photograph? Could it have been? was it drawn by Merida? Could it have been?
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YOu said to check this one out, so... Did it have landscape? Did it have to do with Democrats & Republicans? The donkey and Elephant signs relevant?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 72

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:42 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Was the picture blank? no
Did the picture have any symbols on it? that depends on what you count as a symbol. I'd say noish or yope Only symbols?see previous answer

Was the statement about a particular politician? no Did it express...

...approval of a particular politician?
...disapproval of a particular politician?

Was the statement about a particular political issue? noish If so, was the issue related to...

...taxes?
...government spending?
...economic policy?
...labor policy?
...foreign policy?
...health care?
...the environment?
...welfare?
...immigration?
...emigration? none of those
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 989

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:28 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it relevant where she displayed the picture? no
In an office? Some other place of work? In her home? Her car?
Could I make the same statement by displaying the same picture in any of the above locations? yes Could anyone? yes
Is it relevant where Merida lives? no USA? Arab country?
Was the picture a photograph? irrel Could it have been? yes was it drawn by Merida? irrel Could it have been? yes
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 1126

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:57 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
YOu said to check this one out, so... Did it have landscape? yope Did it have to do with Democrats & Republicans? no
The donkey and Elephant signs relevant?no
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 991
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a political statement that Felicia Nimue agrees with (not that I'm assuming to know what Felicia Nimue thinks, but I have at least some idea)? One that the majority of people agree with? One that would be considered by the majority of the population to be extremist? Unusual? Morally reprehensible?

Was it a picture of a place? a city? a specific city? a building? a landmark?
If I saw the picture, would I know what it was a picture of? specifically (eg The Empire State Building)? generally (eg a skyscraper)?

If I saw the picture, would it be obvious to me what political statement Merida was making?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2400
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 991

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:05 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it a political statement that Felicia Nimue agrees with (not that I'm assuming to know what Felicia Nimue thinks, but I have at least some idea)? yes--i.e., it's associated with liberalism but not environmentalism (the one area where I part company with most liberals) One that the majority of people agree with? I'm not sure One that would be considered by the majority of the population to be extremist? no Unusual? no Morally reprehensible? no
no
Was it a picture of a place? yes a city? a specific city? no a building? no a landmark? no
If I saw the picture, would I know what it was a picture of? yesspecifically (eg The Empire State Building)? generally (eg a skyscraper)? specifically

If I saw the picture, would it be obvious to me what political statement Merida was making? probably
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a picture of planet Earth from space? a map? of a continent? of a country? of a physical surface feature?
Is it a picture of a prison? government building? historical structure? industrial complex? monument? cemetery? other artificial structure?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 178

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 8:30 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it a picture of planet Earth from space? see next answer a map? yes of a continent?yesish of a country? yesish of a physical surface feature? see previous answer
Is it a picture of a prison? no government building? no historical structure? no industrial complex? no monument? no cemetery? no other artificial structure? no
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are borders on this map as accepted by international community now? Are shore lines correct?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 188

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:44 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are borders on this map as accepted by international community now? yes Are shore lines correct? yes
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did it show a map where two countries bordered?
u.s./mexico, perhaps?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Booklover (Booklover)

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:11 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
u.s./mexico, perhaps? Borders are irrel
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are country names correct?
Is this a political map? economical? climate? biological distribution? population?
Are colors used for different countries suggestive ( as in red for conflict zones )?
Are there some obvious "mistakes"?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant which part of the world is shown? What colour it is? Is it coloured at all? black and white? more than one colour?
The part of the world shown - part of North America? South America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Oceania? Antarctica?
Zenith (Zenith)
Username: Zenith

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is semaphore relevant?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

8-2001

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:43 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Booklover (Booklover)

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:11 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
u.s./mexico, perhaps? Borders are irrel
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 191

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 6:30 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are country names correct? yes, if they are present at all
Is this a political map? economical? climate? biological distribution? population?irrel
Are colors used for different countries suggestive ( as in red for conflict zones )? no
Are there some obvious "mistakes"? no
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:44 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it relevant which part of the world is shown? What colour it is? Is it coloured at all? black and white? more than one colour?
The part of the world shown - part of North America? South America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Oceania? Antarctica?
Zenith (Zenith)

Post Number: 411

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:06 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is semaphore relevant? no
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:44 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it relevant which part of the world is shown? yes What colour it is? no Is it coloured at all? irrel black and white? ditto more than one colour? ditto
The part of the world shown - part of North America? South America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Oceania? Antarctica? it's either the western or the eastern hemisphere
Zenith (Zenith)
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so she displays either a picture of the western hemisphere or a picture of the Eastern hemisphere?
Would either work just as well? For anyone? Would it be the hemisphere she was in? The one she wasn't in?
Is there something relevant about the picture apart from the fact it depicts a hemisphere?
(what exactly is the Eastern hemisphere? I would have guessed from Greenwich to the International Date Line, but I doubt that's right)
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what exactly is the Eastern hemisphere? I would have guessed from Greenwich to the International Date Line, but I doubt that's right

Well, yes and no - you can go east or west from the Greenwich Meridian to the International Date Line, and it is just as far either way. But the eastern hemisphere is generally considered to be that portion of the Earth east of the Greenwich Meridian and west of the International Date Line; that is, all points on the globe whose coordinates of longitude are described in "degrees East".
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 203
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The maps of the hemispheres, though, do not use the 0th meridian as divider. The North and South Americas are in one, and Eurasia, Africa, and Australia in the other, with only a small part of Far Eastern Asia cut off. If Greenwich was used, a large portion of Western Africa would have been split off to another map.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1016

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:21 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
so she displays either a picture of the western hemisphere or a picture of the Eastern hemisphere?
yes
Would either work just as well? yes For anyone? yes Would it be the hemisphere she was in? irrel The one she wasn't in? irrel
Is there something relevant about the picture apart from the fact it depicts a hemisphere? yes
(what exactly is the Eastern hemisphere? See answersa from Woubit & Emeraldlink, which surpass what I could give I would have guessed from Greenwich to the International Date Line, but I doubt that's right)
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would this puzzle work if Merida divided the globe arbitrarily at any meridian and displayed either half?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it work if she showed a map of the Northern or Southern hemispheres? (which are much better defined :-))
Is there anything on the picture apart from the map of the hemisphere?
Is the map round? rectangularised? relevant?
it's completely irrelevant where she put this picture, right?
If I just got my Atlas, and cut out the picture of the Eastern hemisphere, and stuck it on my office wall, would I be able to make the same statement as Merida?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 205

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 3:05 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Would this puzzle work if Merida divided the globe arbitrarily at any meridian and displayed either half? yes
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1021

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:32 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Would it work if she showed a map of the Northern or Southern hemispheres? (which are much better defined :-)) no
Is there anything on the picture apart from the map of the hemisphere? no
Is the map round?{irrel} rectangularised? irrel relevant? no
it's completely irrelevant where she put this picture, right? yes
If I just got my Atlas, and cut out the picture of the Eastern hemisphere, and stuck it on my office wall, would I be able to make the same statement as Merida? possibly
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any other lines, figures, or symbols on the map except for coastline and borders?

Is this a contour map?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 217

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:37 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are there any other lines, figures, or symbols on the map except for coastline and borders? irrel

Is this a contour map? huh?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the picture of the hemisphere meant to represent the entire world?
is there a specific way to display the picture in order to make the political statement?
wto?
nukes?
global warming?
other global politics?
Mycroft (Mycroft)
Username: Mycroft

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything unusual about the way the map is depicted or coloured (e.g. does it look like it has a bite taken out of it, or coloured in the flag of a particular country?)
E20 (E20)
Username: E20

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the map show the relative areas of continents in a different way to a "normal" map?

Something like this ... http://www.petersmap.com/
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:46 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
is the picture of the hemisphere meant to represent the entire world? no--just half!!
is there a specific way to display the picture in order to make the political statement? yes
wto? huh?
nukes? no
global warming? no
other global politics? yope
Mycroft (Mycroft)
Username: Mycroft

Post Number: 272

Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is there anything unusual about the way the map is depicted or coloured (e.g. does it look like it has a bite taken out of it, or coloured in the flag of a particular country?) yesish, it's unusual but not in the ways you suggest
E20 (E20)

Post Number: 314

Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:41 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Did the map show the relative areas of continents in a different way to a "normal" map?noish
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does the picture look like a globe which has been cut in half?
is this achieved by the presence of a saw? knife? cutting action?
is there material missing from the picture to give an effect?
does the picture make a suggestion about the half of the globe which is not present?
does the picture make a statement about world trade? major powers? peace? environment?
E20 (E20)

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the map displayed in an unusual orientation (ie with North not at the top), causing the viewer to look more closely and to challenge previous misconceptions?
Ostap (Ostap)
Username: Ostap

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was something missing on the map?
Is the projection used in the map relevant?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 3:20 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
does the picture look like a globe which has been cut in half? /{no}
is this achieved by the presence of a saw/b{ no}? knife? cutting action? /b{ no}
is there material missing from the picture to give an effect?/b{ no}
does the picture make a suggestion about the half of the globe which is not present?/b{ no}
does the picture make a statement about world trade?/b{ no} major powers?/b{ yope} peace?/b{ no} environment?
E20 (E20)

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:32 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the map displayed in an unusual orientation (ie with North not at the top), causing the viewer to look more closely and to challenge previous misconceptions?/b{ yes!!}
Ostap (Ostap)
Username: Ostap

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:06 am:

Was something missing on the map?/b{no}
Is the projection used in the map relevant?/b{no}

/b{ ***SPOILER ******************} /b{ A map of the eastern or western hemisphere made a political statementy by being "upside down," i.e., with the south on top. Please chech out my new puzzle!!!!}

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erm... Nimue, you used / instead of \ for all of them
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry--I'm spending the summer teaching in South Korea, & it took me awhile to adjust to the PC's here. (At home I use a Mac.)
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Username: Mosquito

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't get it -- what kind of statement is made by posting a map upside down? Would the same or a similar statement be made by posting it sideways?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't get it -- what kind of statement is made by posting a map upside down?that THE nORTHERN HEMISPHERE ISN'T REALLY "ON TOP." Would the same or a similar statement be made by posting it sideways?no
Mosquito (Mosquito)

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The conventions of north, south, east and west do not, as far as I am aware, carry any political connotations. So it seems to me as if reversing the directions would likewise have no political meaning. It would, however, make the map very difficult to read, so it seems like an impractical thing to do.
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do agree that the statement is quasi-political, and more sociological, perhaps. Most of the developed countries are in the Northern hemisphere, so turning the map up-side-down challenges our notion that we are at the top ( as in charge ) of the world. It WOULD be difficult to read such a map -- it would require a change in our point of view...
Mosquito (Mosquito)

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would require reading upside-down.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: