[Alex319] Temporal Paradox #2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2007 » [Alex319] Temporal Paradox #2 « Previous Next »

Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 228
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Hopefully this is harder than my previous "Temporal Paradox" puzzle...)

I left home to catch a bus, but missed it. However, if I had left about 30 seconds later than I had, I would probably have caught it. Explain.
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something relevant happen between leaving home and arriving at the bus stop?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something relevant happen between leaving home and arriving at the bus stop? No
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER:

Did something relevant happen between leaving home and arriving at the bus stop? No, other than that the bus got there and I wasn't there
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you had left home later, would you have decided to go to a different bus stop? try to catch a different bus?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you had left home later, would you have decided to go to a different bus stop? Noish try to catch a different bus? No
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you live close to one end of a bus route? does bus make a loop near you house?

Did you miss this bus completely, or were you able to catch it later?

Is there an elevator in your building?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do all references to "Catching", "caught" and "missing" in your puzzle refer to a bus? and boarding/not boarding a bus?
are actual times relevant?
if you had left later you would have caught the same exact bus at the same exact stop?
destination relevant?
kind of bus relevant? public? private? school?
when you missed the bus, were you late for it?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you live close to one end of a bus route? No does bus make a loop near you house? No

Did you miss this bus completely, or were you able to catch it later? Not the same exact bus, but I was able to catch the next bus that went along that route

Is there an elevator in your building? No, irrelevant

do all references to "Catching", "caught" and "missing" in your puzzle refer to a bus? and boarding/not boarding a bus? Yes to both
are actual times relevant? No
if you had left later you would have caught the same exact bus at the same exact stop? I would have caught the same bus that I missed the way I did
destination relevant? No
kind of bus relevant? Sort of public? Yes private? school?
when you missed the bus, were you late for it? Yope
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 486
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you drive or walk to the bus stop?

if driving, did you run into any red lights that you would have missed had you gone 30 seconds later?

if walking, did you run into someone you knew that delayed you (someone you would have missed had you left 30 seconds later)?

was the bus running on time? early? late? if the bus was not running on time, could you have possibly caught the same bus at another stop closer to home had you left 30 seconds later?
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By how much did you miss the bus?

Would bus driver wait for you if he saw you coming?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you drive or walk to the bus stop? I bicycled but it would work just as well walking

if driving, did you run into any red lights that you would have missed had you gone 30 seconds later? N/A

if walking, did you run into someone you knew that delayed you (someone you would have missed had you left 30 seconds later)? No

was the bus running on time? Yesish early?No late?No if the bus was not running on time, could you have possibly caught the same bus at another stop closer to home had you left 30 seconds later? No

By how much did you miss the bus? About 30 seconds

Would bus driver wait for you if he saw you coming? Irrelevant
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 602
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you had left 30 seconds later would you then have used less time from your house to the bus stop? If so, because you would have taken a short cut? not been stopped/held up by someone or something? been given a lift by someone? other?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

when you missed the bus, were you late for it? Yope

quote:

By how much did you miss the bus? About 30 seconds

exploring these statements...

did you arrive at the bus stop 30 seconds after the scheduled arrival of the bus?
did you arrive at the bus stop 30 seconds after the bus arrived?
is bus schedule relevant?
is change in bus schedule relevant?
is a misinterpretation of the bus schedule relevant?
anything about the roads rel? road work?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you arrive at the bus stop 30 seconds after the scheduled arrival of the bus? Yes
did you arrive at the bus stop 30 seconds after the bus arrived? Yes
is bus schedule relevant? Yes
is change in bus schedule relevant? Yes
is a misinterpretation of the bus schedule relevant? Noish
anything about the roads rel? Yes road work? Yes
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You missed my questions from yesterday, but I think they might have been indirectly answered by your reply to Sixtyeight. But just to be sure, would you please answer? Thanks a million.
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the bus take a different route than normal? because of road works? would that different route have taken it somewhere where you would then have passed it and therefore caught it if youd left 30 seconds later?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 605
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just want to clarify that you left the house at time x, then walked route y, arriving at the bus stop at time z, which was too late for the bus with appr 30 seconds? But if you had left the house at time x+30 seconds, walked along route y and arrived at the exact same bus stop at time z=30 seconds, you would have caught the bus?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the bus take a different route than normal? because of road works? would that different route have taken it somewhere where you would then have passed it and therefore caught it if youd left 30 seconds later? This is pretty much correct. The bus stop that it was supposed to go to was blocked by road work, so it came onto the street I was riding on at a different time. I passed a bus stop, then soon heard the bus come to that stop. I rushed back but it was too late. SPOILER

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: