[BlazingPhoenix] Hop, Skip, and Jump Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2007 » [BlazingPhoenix] Hop, Skip, and Jump « Previous Next »

Blazingphoenix (Blazingphoenix)
Username: Blazingphoenix

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been on much, but I figured I'd give you all a quickie puzzle after I thought it up yesterday. Good luck!

What should have worked for them didn't, but what shouldn't have worked for him did, to their amazement.
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Him = human? Adult?
They (for whom it didn't work) = they (who were amazed)? They = human? adult? female?

Is the title relevant? Anything to do with sports?

Did they watch him do this thing that "worked"? Are they all trying to do the same thing?

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Him = human? Adult? Yep
They (for whom it didn't work) = they (who were amazed)? The second they includes a few more people, but it's mostly irr. They = human? yes adult? female? no to rest

Is the title relevant? not amazingly so, but slightly, yes Anything to do with sports? somewhere it may be, but I don't think so. Let's say no

Did they watch him do this thing that "worked"? Yes Are they all trying to do the same thing? Yes
Tobasi (Tobasi)
Username: Tobasi

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his occupation relevant?
So "they" are boys? is their age relevant?
Is this activity that worked or not related to work? leisure? everyday life?
Are any objects involved? if yes, tools used to perform this activity?

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his occupation relevant? Nope
So "they" are boys?The first "They" is boys, and the second one is the first "they" plus a few others that had been watching, but as I said earlier, it's mostly irr. is their age relevant? No
Is this activity that worked or not related to work? leisure? This one everyday life?
Are any objects involved? Yes if yes, tools used to perform this activity?Not tools, no
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The leisure activity: sports? games? arts? culture? reading? handcraft? gardening? computer related?
Are the relevant objects made of: metal? wood? paper? cardboard? glass? stone? concrete? tissue? organic material? plastic? rubber?
Are they longer than 1 mm? 10 mm? 100 mm? 1 m? 10 m? 100 m?
Is the number of the objects relevant? more than 1? 2? ...
Are the boys members of a group? say a football team?
Is he supervising them?

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The leisure activity: sports? games?This one arts? culture? reading? handcraft? gardening? computer related?
Are the relevant objects made of: metal? wood? paper? cardboard? glass? stone?This one concrete? tissue? organic material? plastic? rubber?
Are they longer than 1 mm? 10 mm? 100 mm? 1 m? 10 m? 100 m? About 5cm
Is the number of the objects relevant? Not really
Are the boys members of a group? say a football team? No, just my cousins
Is he supervising them? Yesish
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 543
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the objects pebbles? wrought stones? pawns of the game? other elements of the game?
The game: a board game? chess? checkers? ludo? a card game?
How many boys: 2? 3? 4? more?
Is he a family member of the boys?
Is what worked or not part of the game? a move?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skimming stones on water?

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the objects pebbles?Yes wrought stones? pawns of the game? other elements of the game?
The game: a board game? chess? checkers? ludo? a card game? none of these
How many boys: 2? 3? 4?This more?
Is he a family member of the boys? Yes
Is what worked or not part of the game?No, it was a part of the game a move?

Skimming stones on water? Yes!

Alright, so what worked for him that didn't work for them?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were he and they all skipping stones?
were they unable to skip them?
were they able to skip them?
was he able to skip them?
was he unable to skip them?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 550
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this about the technique of skimming stones? the rotation? the speed? the angle between stone and water? the shape of the stones?
Is the number of bounces relevant?
Do they use different types of stones?
Are any other objects or tools relevant?
Is the water where they do this relevant? the sea? a lake? a river?

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were he and they all skipping stones? Yes!
were they unable to skip them? Yes
were they able to skip them?
was he able to skip them? Yes
was he unable to skip them?

Is this about the technique of skimming stones? the rotation? the speed? the angle between stone and water? the shape of the stones?This one. It seems this shall be solved very soon
Is the number of bounces relevant? Nope
Do they use different types of stones? Shape, yes
Are any other objects or tools relevant? No
Is the water where they do this relevant? the sea? a lake? This, but irrel. a river?
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 501
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that it is better to skip flat stones; they go farther...
did he use flat stones?
did they use flat stones?
did he use round stones?
did they use round stones?

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that it is better to skip flat stones; they go farther... This is true... Well, it should be, anyway
did he use flat stones? No
did they use flat stones? YES
did he use round stones? YES
did they use round stones? No

I think this is good enough for a

********SPOILER**********

My younger cousins and I were out at my cabin this last weekend, and we were all enjoying ourselves swimming in the lake. My younger cousins proceeded to take flat stones and toss them, groaning when they only got about one or two skips. Meanwhile, my older cousin took a medium-sized round stone, gave it a strong flick, and grinned as it got about 10-12 skips, much to the amazement of my younger cousins (and my aunts and uncles, who were watching everyone from the dock).

Thank you all for giving it a go, seems I can't really come up with a good, long puzzle. Maybe someday soon, hmm? In the meantime, have a go at my CA rulebreaker below! ;] ~BlazingPhoenix~

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: