[Tobasi] What we did on our holidays Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2007 » [Tobasi] What we did on our holidays « Previous Next »

Tobasi (Tobasi)
Username: Tobasi

Post Number: 534
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am just back from my summer holidays. Funnily enough the left side of my body is slightly more tanned than the right.

Can you find out what I did on my holidays?
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does what you did relate to the uneven tan on your body?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 537
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does what you did relate to the uneven tan on your body? Yes, it certainly does.
Rabrab (Rabrab)
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back!

Did you do a great deal of driving? bus tours? boat tours?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 539
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back! thank you

Did you do a great deal of driving? bus tours? boat tours? no, none of these
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you for some reason sitting with your left side toward a window a more often than your right? Sidewalk cafes relevant?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you for some reason sitting with your left side toward a window a more often than your right? Sidewalk cafes relevant? none of these either, sorry
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve sports? water sports? sailing? windsurfing?

Did you use optical equipment? photo-camera? binoculars ( for bird-watching, for example )?

Are you right-handed? Would your right side be more tan if your other hand was dominant?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 544
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve sports? yes water sports? sailing? windsurfing? but none of these

Did you use optical equipment? photo-camera? yes, but this is irrelevant to the puzzle binoculars ( for bird-watching, for example )? no

Are you right-handed? yes but irrelevant Would your right side be more tan if your other hand was dominant? no
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you play volleyball ( I peeked into your profile )? similar team sport? and your team played on the same side all the time?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you play volleyball ( I peeked into your profile )? similar team sport? and your team played on the same side all the time? no to these
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 316
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Team sport? individual? requires special equipment?

Is your left side more tan because it was exposed to the sunlight more? because your right side was covered with something?

Is tan on you whole body uneven? only your face? only arms? legs?
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 495
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for this sport were you sitting? lying down? standing? in the water? were you on your feet? on a board? on something with wheels?

is it important where you had your vacation? was it warm there? cold?

were you snow skiing? water skiing? skateboarding? ping pong (table tennis)? tennis? soccer? baseball? cricket?
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would it be safe to assume that you were mostly facing west while doing this activity? mostly facing west while the sun was shining?
did you do this activity on the beach? if so: geographical position of the beach relevant? (west coast of something?)
would it have been possible to do the same activity in the same location in a way that your right side get more tan? would this have been impossible? unconvenient? strange?
did you get this uneven sun tan while walking? or cycling?
maybe you were walking westward to the beach in the morning (when the sun was shining), but returned in the evening when it was already dark?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 547
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink:
Team sport? noish
individual? yesish
requires special equipment? yes

Is your left side more tan because it was exposed to the sunlight more? yes
because your right side was covered with something? no

Is tan on you whole body uneven? only your face? only arms? legs? It is uneven on the whole body but it is most visible on the legs.

Booklover:
for this sport were you sitting? no lying down? no standing? yesish in the water? no were you on your feet? yes on a board? no on something with wheels? no

is it important where you had your vacation? yes was it warm there? yes cold? no

were you snow skiing? water skiing? skateboarding? ping pong (table tennis)? tennis? soccer? baseball? cricket? no to these

Sundowner:
would it be safe to assume that you were mostly facing west while doing this activity? yes mostly facing west while the sun was shining? yes
did you do this activity on the beach? no if so: geographical position of the beach relevant? (west coast of something?) n.a. but the geographical position is relevant
would it have been possible to do the same activity in the same location in a way that your right side get more tan? unlikely would this have been impossible? no unconvenient? yes strange? yes
did you get this uneven sun tan while walking? yes or cycling? no
maybe you were walking westward to the beach in the morning (when the sun was shining), but returned in the evening when it was already dark?
no
Psymann (Psymann)
Username: Psymann

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you playing a sport while getting tanned?
Were you officiating a sport while getting tanned?
Were you watching a sport while getting tanned?

If playing is 'Yes':
Were you holding a bat/stick/club or similar item, used to strike another object, to play this sport?

Was your walking part of the sport? Were you orienteering?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you walk a great distance in the westerly direction?
in a sunny part of the Northern hemisphere? is latitude relevant?
did you have equipment in your hands? relevant apparel?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Psymann!
Were you playing a sport while getting tanned? yes, it could be considered as a sport
Were you officiating a sport while getting tanned? no
Were you watching a sport while getting tanned? also yes but irrelvant

If playing is 'Yes':
Were you holding a bat/stick/club or similar item, used to strike another object, to play this sport? none of these

Was your walking part of the sport? yes Were you orienteering? not exactly

Sixtyeight:
did you walk a great distance in the westerly direction? yes
in a sunny part of the Northern hemisphere? yes is latitude relevant? not particularly
did you have equipment in your hands? no, but... relevant apparel? yesish
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rock climbing? mountain climbing?

There is no formal "team", but you do it as a part of a group, right?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 549
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rock climbing? mountain climbing? none of these

There is no formal "team", but you do it as a part of a group, right? You can do it individually or in a group, I alternated.
Psymann (Psymann)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in a race?
Was the sport competitive?
Or were you just hiking to see some pretty scenery?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in a race? no
Was the sport competitive? no
Or were you just hiking to see some pretty scenery? this and something more
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you walk along a trail? a road?
couldn't you have done the same thing walking East? North?
After walking West, did you walk back East? drive? were you transported East? or did you stay and not return whence you started?
Do we need to know more about the location?
was running involved?
did you have something on your feet?
something relavant below the waist?
something relavant above the waist?
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...just hiking... Backpacking? Speed walking? Race-walking? Jogging?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you looking for something while you were walking?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emailed...
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 553
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sixtyeight:
did you walk along a trail? mostly a road? partly
couldn't you have done the same thing walking East? North? not really
After walking West, did you walk back East? no drive? yes were you transported East? yes or did you stay and not return whence you started? well, I didn't return exactly where I started
Do we need to know more about the location? yes
was running involved? no
did you have something on your feet? yes
something relavant below the waist? no
something relavant above the waist? yes, see below

Emeraldink:
...just hiking... Backpacking? yes Speed walking? Race-walking? Jogging? no to these

Rabrab:
Were you looking for something while you were walking? not in particular
Emailed... I am at work right now but I will check my Emails this evening.
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Backpacking, driving, and being transported ... Were you hitchhiking?

Did you go around something? across something? along some geographical feature? man-made entity ( like a trail )?
Sunshine (Sunshine)
Username: Sunshine

Post Number: 644
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in the north of Spain?
Psymann (Psymann)

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in China?

Bah, what the hell...

Were you in:
Europe?
Asia?
Africa?
Australia/NZ?
North America?
South America?
Antartica?
Other?

Would it have been possible to do the same sport at a different location?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 554
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink:
...Backpacking, driving, and being transported ... Were you hitchhiking? I admit that I hitchhiked once during my holidays but this is irrelevant.

Did you go around something? no across something? noish along some geographical feature? no man-made entity ( like a trail yes)? yes

Sunshine:
Were you in the north of Spain? yes, exactly

Psymann:
Were you in China?

Bah, what the hell...

Were you in:
Europe?
Asia?
Africa?
Australia/NZ?
North America?
South America?
Antartica?
Other?
As Sunshine just found out I was in the north of Spain

Would it have been possible to do the same sport at a different location? yes, more or less

You are very close and I think that Sunshine has heard of the thing I was doing.
Galois (Galois)
Username: Galois

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you heading for Santiago de Compostela?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you heading for Santiago de Compostela? yes

-------------------SPOILER-------------------

This summer I did (part of) the Way of St. James or Camino de Santiago, the pilgrimage to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain. I walked about 25 km a day carrying all I needed in a big rucksack. Each night I slept in a different hostel. Apart from the blisters I really enjoyed it (nice countryside, villages and people), I plan to proceed the walk soon. See Wikipedia.
Since I was heading westward and since it was quite sunny the left hand side of my body got slightly more tanned.

Thanks to all for puzzling!

Rabrab: Unfortunately, I didn't get your Email but I assume you got it as Sunshine and Galois.
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I hadn't gotten it. I was chasing off after geocacheing or something like it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: