[psymann] Lost Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2007 » [psymann] Lost « Previous Next »

Psymann (Psymann)
Username: Psymann

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lucius was inviting two old friends to come to visit him. Both friends lived over two hundred miles away, in the same road as each other. Lucius gave them identical instructions. One friend arrived in the right place at the right time without trouble; the other got totally lost. Why did they both have such different experiences?
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 524
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did both follow your directions exactly as you had told them?

were both using same mode of transportation? cars? train? airplane?

did the one who got lost misunderstand your directions?

did either one (or both) decide to use some sort of gps as help?

did either one decide to use a map also?

did they live on opposite sides of the street? maybe if you had given them identical instructions and they lived on opposite sides, one would go the correct way, and the other would make a wrong turn to start?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the 2 friends lived on the same road?
did they live less than 1 mile apart?
relevant whether they lived in a house? apartment?
did they both start their journies from their homes?
did the one that got lost have accurate directions for how to get from his starting point to his destination?
Psymann (Psymann)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did both follow your directions exactly as you had told them? It wasn't me telling them, it was Lucius. But yes, they both followed Lucius's instructions exactly.

were both using same mode of transportation? Yes
cars? Yes
train? No
airplane? No

did the one who got lost misunderstand your directions? No

did either one (or both) decide to use some sort of gps as help? Yes

did either one decide to use a map also? No

did they live on opposite sides of the street? No

maybe if you had given them identical instructions and they lived on opposite sides, one would go the correct way, and the other would make a wrong turn to start? Maybe, but they didn't, so irrelevant

====

the 2 friends lived on the same road? Yes

did they live less than 1 mile apart? Yes

relevant whether they lived in a house? apartment? Not relevant.

did they both start their journies from their homes? Yes

did the one that got lost have accurate directions for how to get from his starting point to his destination? Depends on your definition of accurate. They weren't accurate enough, since the guy got lost...
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so there was a relevant flaw in "Mr. Lost's" directions?
did the directions instruct them to use GPS?
did the lost guy relize he was lost?
did the lost guy use GPS when he relized he was lost?
anything relevant to reveal about the destination? was the destination stationary? on wheels? a house?
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 369
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name of the road relevant?

Where there two branches ( one regular, one "Old" or "Business" ) that ran in parallel?

Did the two friends started at the point where road name changed? ( For example, from "North <something> Road" to "South <something> Road" )

Did they follow the same route for at least half the way to Lucius's house? At least quarter of the way?

Did "instruction" include detailed directions? his house's location only? landmarks?
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

regarding the gps, was it the type where you could put in "quick route" / "short route" or something like that?--not sure about the terminology. If I am correct, one takes you by main roads and such and the other takes you off the beaten path.

I know that when my mom came to visit me when I had my first son, I gave her specific directions to a fast food restaurant that was about 5 minutes away. An hour later she arrived and confessed that she had plugged in the address to her gps and got lost!

did the person who got lost do this? did he set the gps to the incorrect type of route and it got him lost?
Psymann (Psymann)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

----SPOILER AT THE BOTTOM----

so there was a relevant flaw in "Mr. Lost's" directions? Only in that they didn't work for one of them.

did the directions instruct them to use GPS? Yes

did the lost guy relize he was lost? Yes

did the lost guy use GPS when he relized he was lost? Yes

anything relevant to reveal about the destination? was the destination stationary? on wheels? a house? Irrelevant

====

Is the name of the road relevant? No

Where there two branches ( one regular, one "Old" or "Business" ) that ran in parallel? No

Did the two friends started at the point where road name changed? ( For example, from "North <something> Road" to "South <something> Road" ) No

Did they follow the same route for at least half the way to Lucius's house? At least quarter of the way? Yes

Did "instruction" include:
detailed directions? No
his house's location only? No
landmarks? No

====

regarding the gps, was it the type where you could put in "quick route" / "short route" or something like that?--not sure about the terminology. If I am correct, one takes you by main roads and such and the other takes you off the beaten path. Aha... funny use of "GPS". GPS is just the Global Positioning Satellite that can tell you where you are. You're talking about route-setting, which is something different - satellite navigation. SatNav products use GPS to work out where you are, but have a lot of extra stuff that does the routing and mapping etc. Maybe it's just different trans-atlantic terminology like mobile phones and cellphones. Assuming therefore you're asking two questions - 1) Did they use a SatNav device - Yes, they did. And did those devices have quick route options - Yope.

I know that when my mom came to visit me when I had my first son, I gave her specific directions to a fast food restaurant that was about 5 minutes away. An hour later she arrived and confessed that she had plugged in the address to her gps and got lost!

did the person who got lost do this? did he set the gps to the incorrect type of route and it got him lost?

Yes, pretty much. Damn, that was quick! :-/

The instructions were "Get in your car, and tell your SatNav to take you to my postcode: A1 2BC."

One guy did so, and his SatNav took him straight there. The other, using a different brand of SatNav with bad mapping, took him half way there, and tried to direct him through a field of sheep and over a footbridge, and getting him lost in the process.

A similar situation to your story above, and stories in the press here where HGV firms have stopped using SatNav because it keeps taking huge lorries up tiny roads and getting them stuck. There was even a picture of a sign that a village had erected, saying "Do not follow your SatNav up this road" or something similar!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: