[Rabrab] It's broken! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2007 » [Rabrab] It's broken! « Previous Next »

Rabrab (Rabrab)
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a dozen before I left, and while I was gone I broke all of them. The first thing I did when I got home was buy another dozen of them.
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you buy the dozen at the same place both times?
if different:
did you buy the first dozen online? at a store? by phone?
did you buy the second online? at a store? by phone?
something that can be easily broken?
eggs?
lightbulbs?
did you buy something to do with sewing?

did you break them on purpose? by accident?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you leave.. home?
relevant where you went when you left?
are the broken items related to occupation? recreation?
is there a specific frequency that you break them? 1 per day? do you just break them as the need arises?
cost of 12.. over $10?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Booklover Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:41 pm:
did you buy the dozen at the same place both times? Yes.
if different:
did you buy the first dozen online? at a store? by phone?
did you buy the second online? at a store? by phone? I bought both at the same place; it could have been any of these.
something that can be easily broken? Relatively easily, yes.
eggs?
lightbulbs? But neither of these.
did you buy something to do with sewing? Looked at my profile, did you? Good thought, but No.

did you break them on purpose? by accident? Excellent question! I broke them on purpose.

Sixtyeight Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:02 pm:

did you leave.. home? Yes.
relevant where you went when you left? Yes.
are the broken items related to occupation? Sometimes. recreation? Sometimes.
is there a specific frequency that you break them? 1 per day? do you just break them as the need arises? As the need arises.
cost of 12.. over $10? Yes.
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they meant to be broken in the course of normal use?
Do you break them open? break the seal on them?
Are they usable after they are broken? before?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:04 am:

Are they meant to be broken in the course of normal use? Yes-ish.

Do you break them open? No. break the seal on them? This is part of it.

Are they usable after they are broken? Yope. before? Possibly for something, but not for what they're intended for.
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something related to safety? travel? first aid?

Do they expire after they are broken? shortly after? but can be kept "whole" for a long time?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:33 am: }

Something related to safety?
travel?
first aid? Yope for svv's of all of 'safety', 'travel' and 'first aid'.

Do they expire after they are broken? Yes. shortly after? Yes. but can be kept "whole" for a long time?Yes.
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so, you broke the seal of a bottle/container...

did the container hold items that you needed? small items? medium items? large items? pills (though I can't imagine you needing that many pills!)? cotton (sometimes at top of pill bottles)?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cost of 12.. over $20? $30
is it cosmetic? prophylactic? recreational?
do you break it with your hands? usually 2 hands? 1 hand?
does what you are breaking contain something?
does it make a sound when you break it?
do you store it in a medicine cabinet? pantry? utility closet? junk drawer?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Booklover Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:38 am:

so, you broke the seal of a bottle/container... Yep. I did.

did the container hold items that you needed? Yes.
small items? medium items? large items? Hmmm. Small enough that I could carry all twelve at once with no difficulty; big enough that I didn't carry all twelve at once as a rule.

pills (though I can't imagine you needing that many pills!)?
cotton (sometimes at top of pill bottles)? No to both of these.

Sixtyeight Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:05 am:

cost of 12.. over $20? $30 Around $30.00, probably a bit more

is it cosmetic? prophylactic? recreational? Ooooh. Hard to answer this one. Please rephrase it?
do you break it with your hands? usually 2 hands? 1 hand? 2 hands. And something else.
does what you are breaking contain something? Yes, but may mislead...
does it make a sound when you break it? Yope.
do you store it in a medicine cabinet?
pantry?
utility closet?
junk drawer? None of the above.
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it for your person? your environment?
to enhance appearance? aroma? make something look good?
to prevent something?
something pleasure-related?
something practical?
during your time away did you break more? less? than one per day on average?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sixtyeight Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:45 am:

is it for your person? Yes.
your environment? No.
to enhance appearance? aroma? make something look good? None of these.
to prevent something? Yes-ish.
something pleasure-related? Vaguely, sort of.
something practical? But much more this.
during your time away did you break more? less? than one per day on average? It varied. Some days I broke two or three, other days I didn't break any at all.
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emergency flares? "Hot & Cold" packs? Chemical hand warmers?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it related to something you wear?
would someone in a bathing suit need it?
to clean your lenses?
could you find it in a drug store?
Psymann (Psymann)
Username: Psymann

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you bought, on two occasions, 12 containers of some sort, each of which contained a number of items. From time to time, you break a seal on the containers, and use [the container?] [the items within?] on your body.

Is this statement above correct?
If so, with the [container] or the [items within]?

Do you place the items from the container within your body?
Eat them?

If you didn't take these dozen things with you, would you:
die?
be in pain?
be unable to do something you wanted to be able to do?
be at a higher risk of one of the above?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sixtyeight Friday, August 03, 2007 - 5:04 am:

is it related to something you wear? related to, yes.
would someone in a bathing suit need it? Under very specific circumstances, they might. Not as a rule, though.
to clean your lenses? No.
could you find it in a drug store? Yes.

Psymann Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:55 pm:

So you bought, on two occasions, 12 containers of some sort, each of which contained a number of items. From time to time, you break a seal on the containers, and use [the container?] [the items within?] on your body.

Is this statement above correct?
If so, with the [container] or the [items within]?It is correct. I use the items within the container

Do you place the items from the container within your body?
Eat them? No to both.

If you didn't take these dozen things with you, would you:
die? Not likely.
be in pain? Yes.
be unable to do something you wanted to be able to do? Possibly
be at a higher risk of one of the above? Yes.

Emeraldink Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:57 am:

Emergency flares?
"Hot & Cold" packs?
Chemical hand warmers? Very, very close.
Psymann (Psymann)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the 'items within' come into contact with:
your body?
your clothing?

Does the use of these 'items within' keep you warm when otherwise the cold would cause you pain?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psymann Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:39 pm:

Do the 'items within' come into contact with:
your body?
your clothing? Both. Explore...

Does the use of these 'items within' keep you warm when otherwise the cold would cause you pain? Yes.
Zenith (Zenith)
Username: Zenith

Post Number: 426
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does breaking it cause a chemical reaction? Like a glowsitck, but replace the 'glowing' chemicals with ones that produce an exothermic reaction when they come in contact with each other.

Are they a replaceable/disposable part of a particular type of clothing? eg. a body suit with heat conduits sewn in, that takes a special heating unit somewhere on it, and disperse the heat equally along the body.

If such a thing doesn't in fact exist, it could be interesting to look into, as an engineer...
Psymann (Psymann)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the 'items within' warm/hot when you take them out of the container?
or cold/cool?

Do they warm you passing their heat from them to you?

Do they warm you my making your clothing more effective at keeping out the cold?

Do you use them on your:
- shoes?
- feet?
- trousers?
- legs?
- shirt/jacket?
- arms?
- chest?
- face?
- hat?
- head?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zenith Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:35 pm:

Does breaking it cause a chemical reaction? Yesish. Like a glowsitck, but replace the 'glowing' chemicals with ones that produce an exothermic reaction when they come in contact with each other. But not like this.

Are they a replaceable/disposable part of a particular type of clothing? eg. a body suit with heat conduits sewn in, that takes a special heating unit somewhere on it, and disperse the heat equally along the body. No.

If such a thing doesn't in fact exist, it could be interesting to look into, as an engineer... I don't think that one exists, and, yes, it could be an interesting idea to play with.

Psymann Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:14 pm:

Are the 'items within' warm/hot when you take them out of the container?
or cold/cool? This one. They'd be ambient temperature, or very close to it.

Do they warm you passing their heat from them to you? Yes.

Do they warm you my making your clothing more effective at keeping out the cold? No.

Do you use them on your:
- shoes?
- feet?
Both of these are close, neither is completely correct

- trousers?
- legs?
- shirt/jacket?
- arms?
- chest?
- face?
- hat?
- head?
And none of the rest apply.
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 536
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it the type of warming pack that starts out cold, but as you squish it in your hands, it gets warm? is it maybe something that you put in gloves? socks?
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 393
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Toe warmers"?

Did each of 12 items have 2 of these inside? or 10?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Booklover Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 9:42 pm:

Is it the type of warming pack that starts out cold, but as you squish it in your hands, it gets warm? No.
is it maybe something that you put in gloves? socks? Not gloves or socks, no.

Emeraldink Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:44 pm:

"Toe warmers"? So very very very very close! Technically, though, No.

Did each of 12 items have 2 of these inside? or 10? Each of the 12 had 2.
Psymann (Psymann)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So when you said it was very close to hand warmers, and very (x4) close to toe warmers, it's because it's foot warmers? Never heard of the things, but just discovered they exist after a little internet search.

Link to someone giving advice on how to keep your feet warm
(scroll down to number 6)

Though this person actually recommends you use hand-warmers on your feet... :-S
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psymann Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:44 pm:

So when you said it was very close to hand warmers, and very (x4) close to toe warmers, it's because it's foot warmers? Indeed. It's foot warmers, which are full-length insoles, as opposed to toe-warmers, which are only about half-length. and that's good for a

**************SPOILER*****************

I took a winter vacation to New York City last year, and knew that I was going to be out walking in very cold, windy and possibly slushy-mucky conditions for much of the day, each day. Since I also know that I'm miserable when my feet are cold, I had to choose between taking along my big, bulky, heavy, good-to-40-below winter boots, or finding some other way to keep my tootsies comfy.

So I bought dozen packs of air-activated foot warmers: as long as the package is sealed, they're inert, but on contact with the air, an exothermic chemical reaction begins, and they heat up. The warmth lasts about four hours or so, so some days I went through several pairs, as they wore out and I replaced them. Other days, I was indoors most of the time and didn't use any.

Using the definition of "broke" as "no longer funtional, needing to be replaced," I "broke" a dozen pairs over the two weeks that I was gone. I also broke the packaging on each pair, when I tore open the envelope.

Excellent solving all, and especial kudos to Booklover for asking whether I broke them deliberately and to Emeraldink for asking whether the breakage was a normal part of use: those two questions cut off quite a few dead-ends.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: