[Ozymandias] A murderous host Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2007 » [Ozymandias] A murderous host « Previous Next »

Ozymandias (Ozymandias)
Username: Ozymandias

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, hello everybody. A hello to the new users and a "happy to see you again" to the ones that have been here enough to remember me. I come here again with a guilty conscience, since, last time I was here, I created a puzzle which I subsequently neglected to take care of, so it was moved to limbo and then deleted. I promise I'll take better care of this one, and bring it to an end. Hope you'll give me another chance :-)

"Watch out!", he said. "Under the level of the water I've hidden sharp knives!"

What's going on?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 408
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this fiction?
is he human? adult? male?
was his warning to 1 person? more than 1?
is the warning the truth?
when the warning was given was the speaker in sight of the water?
is it a natural body of water? something man-made that contains water?
depth of the water significant?
person's occupation significant?
is this a game? competition? self-defence? magic trick?
Rabrab (Rabrab)
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy!! It's good to see your font back here again!

Did he expect that the person (or people?) he was telling would reach into the water? step into the water? fall into the water? dive into the water? without the warning?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight) Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:25 am:

is this fiction? No
is he human? Yes. adult? Yes. male? Yes.
was his warning to 1 person? No, possible FA more than 1? Yes, possible FA
is the warning the truth? Noish, please reformulate the question.
when the warning was given was the speaker in sight of the water? Yes, but possible FA.
is it a natural body of water? No. something man-made that contains water? Yes, but possible FA.
depth of the water significant? No.
person's occupation significant? No.
is this a game? No, but explore. competition? No. self-defence? No. magic trick? No.

By Rabrab (Rabrab)Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:40 am:

Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy!! It's good to see your font back here again! Thank you very much, it's a pleasure to see you all again, too :-) :-)

Did he expect that the person (or people?) he was telling would reach into the water? No. step into the water? No. fall into the water? No. dive into the water? No. without the warning? No.
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FA's already...

Is there only one FA? if so is it:
That there is water at all?
That the there are knives at all?
That the knives are in the water?
That his statement was a warning?
That he was making the statement to other people?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Rabrab (Rabrab) Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:48 pm:

FA's already...
That there is water at all? Yope
That the there are knives at all? Yope
That the knives are in the water? Yope
That his statement was a warning? Yes
That he was making the statement to other people? No
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeargh. Bleargh. And bleah, as well...

(It's an FA) that there is water at all? Yope

Yes there is water but No he's not actually talking about it?
Yes there is H2O, but it's in the form of ice, not water?
No, there isn't water, but there is something that looks like water?
No, there isn't water, but there is something else representing water?
No, there isn't water, but he and the people to whom he is speaking are pretending? or acting as though? there is?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Rabrab (Rabrab) Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:02 pm:

Yeargh. Bleargh. And bleah, as well...Errrr...? :-)

(It's an FA) that there is water at all? Yope

Yes there is water but No he's not actually talking about it? No
Yes there is H2O, but it's in the form of ice, not water? No
No, there isn't water, but there is something that looks like water? No
No, there isn't water, but there is something else representing water? Actually the answer would probably be "yesish", but at this stage of the puzzle I think it can safely be rounded up to a "Yes" - Good job.
No, there isn't water, but he and the people to whom he is speaking are pretending? No or acting as though? there is? No to both
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are any of these relevant?
any kind of video representation?
a drawing?
a painting?
a picture?
a model?
a script?
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You answered yes to the fact that the statement "watch out" was falsely assumed to be a warning...So, am I correct to assume that "watch out" does not mean "look out" or something along these lines?

As a total guess, could the watch in the "watch out" statement mean a wristwatch?

is watch a noun? verb?

could they be looking at a painting?
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another idea:
could this be a game?
a video game?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

Yeargh. Bleargh. And bleah, as well... Errrr...? :-)

Just me being frustrated that there are that many FA's. No worries 8-)

Is "Watch out." being used in the sense "Be aware that..."

Back to the other FAs:
(Is the FA) That the there are knives at all? Yope

Are there no knives, but there are representations of knives?
Are there no knives, but there are imitations of knives (plain pieces of metal, for example)?
Are there sharp edges, but not what most people would consider knives?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight) Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:24 am:

are any of these relevant?
any kind of video representation? No
a drawing? Yesish
a painting? Yesish
a picture? Yesish
a model? No
a script? No

By Booklover (Booklover) Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:24 am:

You answered yes to the fact that the statement "watch out" was falsely assumed to be a warning...So, am I correct to assume that "watch out" does not mean "look out" or something along these lines? No, "look out" is really the meaning of the sentence, but it's not a warning. I wish I could say more to clarify, but it would $p0il a main point of the puzzle.

As a total guess, could the watch in the "watch out" statement mean a wristwatch? No, it's really "look out", see above.

is watch a noun? verb? A verb.

could they be looking at a painting? Yesish.

By Booklover (Booklover) Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:31 am:

another idea:
could this be a game? No, but explore - you're close.
a video game? No.

By Rabrab (Rabrab) Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:44 am:

Is "Watch out." being used in the sense "Be aware that..."

Back to the other FAs:
(Is the FA) That the there are knives at all? Yope

Are there no knives, but there are representations of knives? this one, the FA was exactly of the same nature as the one about the water.
Are there no knives, but there are imitations of knives (plain pieces of metal, for example)? No
Are there sharp edges, but not what most people would consider knives? No.
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when he made the statement, was he referring to something physically in his presence?
something in the same rooom as he?
something that he could see?
something that others could see?
something that he could touch?
something that reflects light?
something that light passes through?
something like or with a light source?
was there a mystery to be revealed to others? secret?
is a rendering involved?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A drawing, a painting and a picture are all Yes-ish.
Hmmm. There's a representation of water. And Hummm. <scratches.head> And a representation of knives. Hmm, again. And "a model" is No.

A collage?
An engraving?
a woodcut?
A bas relief?
A photograph?
A photographic negative?
A silk-screened print?
Tobasi (Tobasi)
Username: Tobasi

Post Number: 586
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he doing a leisure activity? some form of arts? does this perhaps happen in a theatre?
Are there other people present? 1? 2? 3? ...
To how many people does he address? 1? 2? 3? ...
Is the place where this happens relevant? the country? does it happen inside?
Did this actually happen, i.e. we could have heard him saying this?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight) Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:54 am:

when he made the statement, was he referring to something physically in his presence? Yes.
something in the same rooom as he? Yes.
something that he could see? Yes.
something that others could see? Yes.
something that he could touch? Yesish.
something that reflects light? No.
something that light passes through? No.
something like or with a light source? No.
was there a mystery to be revealed to others? Yope. secret? Yope to noish.
is a rendering involved? I've looked up all the meaning of the word - English isn't my main language, as many on this board know - and I feel safe enough to say "No".

By Rabrab (Rabrab) Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:54 am:

A drawing, a painting and a picture are all Yes-ish.
Hmmm. There's a representation of water. And Hummm. <scratches.head> And a representation of knives. Hmm, again. And "a model" is No.

A collage? No.
An engraving? Yesish.
a woodcut? No.
A bas relief? Yesish to yope.
A photograph? No.
A photographic negative? No.
A silk-screened print? No.

Tobasi (Tobasi) Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:16 pm:

Is he doing a leisure activity? Yes, I'd say so. some form of arts? Noish, but definitely worth exploring. does this perhaps happen in a theatre? No, it doesn't.
Are there other people present? Yes. 1? 2? This one, but the puzzle could as well work with one, three, four or a random number above zero. 3? ...
To how many people does he address? 1? 2? This one. 3? ...
Is the place where this happens relevant? Absolutely YES. Good question. the country? Not really. does it happen inside? Yes.
Did this actually happen, i.e. we could have heard him saying this? Yes.
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A block print?

WAG:
Topiary?
Landscaping?
Some sort of fake pond-scape?

On to the place:
Indoors?

if so,
inside a building (roof, solid walls, a door)?
inside a shelter (roof, non-solid or short walls (like lattice or trellis for vines,) a doorway but no door)?
in a tent? or pavilion?

Outdoors?
In the city? in the country? in the suburbs?
in a park?
a garden?
a yard?
a field?
a forest?
a parking lot?
a vacant lot?
a roadway?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

when he made the statement, was he referring to something physically in his presence? Yes.

based on these answers can we say it was not visible to the human eye?
were they in the dark?
could they see it with their eyes closed?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh gosh, I have been away for too long, I had forgotten how extremely specific you have to be when replying here, therefore I announce here a

BLOOPER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

something that reflects light? Yope, in the sense of "only some frequencies of it", ie it's not a mirror.
something that light passes through? Yope, in the sense of "only some frequencies of it", ie it's not a transparent glass.

Really sorry for having been misleading :-)

By Rabrab (Rabrab) Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:20 am:

A block print? No.

WAG:
Topiary?
Landscaping?
Some sort of fake pond-scape? No to all.

On to the place:
Indoors? Yes.

if so,
inside a building (roof, solid walls, a door)? This one. Finding what kind of building could be fundamental for the resolution of the puzzle.
inside a shelter (roof, non-solid or short walls (like lattice or trellis for vines,) a doorway but no door)? No.
in a tent? No. or pavilion? No.

Outdoors? No.
In the city? Yes, in a building in a city. in the country? No. in the suburbs? No.
in a park? No.
a garden? No.
a yard? No.
a field? No.
a forest? No.
a parking lot? No.
a vacant lot? No.
a roadway? No.

By Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight) Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:33 am:

quote:

based on these answers can we say it was not visible to the human eye? I Was misleading and I corrected my answers above, I apologize again.
were they in the dark? No.
could they see it with their eyes closed? No.
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the building a residence building? a public building? a building of a company?
Is the size of the building relevant? Did it have 1? 2? ... floors? and 1? 2? ... rooms?
Did this happen in a room? is the size of the room relevant? more than 10m? 20m? 50m? 100m? 200m? 500m?
Is any relevant furniture present? windows? lights? other objects apart from the water/knife thing?
Would it help to find out the city where this happened?
Is this a true story? from your own imagination? Is the era relevant? modern times?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tobasi (Tobasi) Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:43 pm:

Was the building a residence building? No a public building? Yes. a building of a company? No.
Is the size of the building relevant? Only in the sense that it might help to identify it, not really otherwise. Did it have 1? 2? ... floors? Three: a ground floor, a first floor and a subtrerranean floor. and 1? 2? ... rooms? Let's say between 20 and 30 rooms, the exact number isn't important.
Did this happen in a room? Yes. is the size of the room relevant? Not really. more than 10m? 20m? 50m? 100m? 200m? 500m? I'd say a bit more than 100 m. Exact size not really relevant.
Is any relevant furniture present? Define "furniture". windows? Yes. lights? Yes. other objects apart from the water/knife thing? Yes.
Would it help to find out the city where this happened? It might make it even a bit too easy for the well-educated solver. :-)
Is this a true story? Yes. from your own imagination? No. Is the era relevant? Yesish. modern times? Yes.
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 615
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he pointing something out, but not really warning about it? In the way that you might say, "watch out for the castle on your left...it's really worth seeing"?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Enjay (Enjay)Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:06 pm:

Was he pointing something out, but not really warning about it? This is a yope to yesish. In the way that you might say, "watch out for the castle on your left...it's really worth seeing"? But this is definitely a no. Wrong example, sorry. :-)
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the building related to: education? religion? politics? military? administration? leisure? culture? sports? accomodation?
In the room were there chairs? tables? cupboards? washbasins? beds? kitchenware?
I will try to find out the city, hoping that someone of the puzzlers is well-educated ;-)... Did this happen in Europe? North America? South America? Africa? Asia? Oceania?
In a city with more than 10 000? 100 000? 1 Mio? 10 Mio? inhabitants?
Blazingphoenix (Blazingphoenix)
Username: Blazingphoenix

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, is Knives perhaps the name of some animal, like a snake, or a wildcat with big sharp fangs/teeth? Hence Knives?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A fresco? A frieze? a mosaic? a piece of mixed-media artwork?

Is the building a business that's open to the public? Like an art gallery?
Is it a building that houses government offices?

Would the members of the public who go into the building all have at least one physical characteristic in common? one interest?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also: Is the title relevant? Is "he" in fact, the host? if not, is he a guide? a fellow visitor? an official of some sort?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tobasi (Tobasi) Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:04 pm:

Was the building related to: education? Yes religion? Yesish politics? Yesish military? Yesish administration? Yesish leisure? Yesish culture? Yes, above all. sports? Yesish. accomodation? No.
In the room were there chairs? Yes, but misleading. tables? No. cupboards? Yes. washbasins? No, but might have been. beds? No. kitchenware? No, but might have been.
I will try to find out the city, hoping that someone of the puzzlers is well-educated ;-)... Did this happen in Europe? Yes. North America? No. South America? No. Africa? No. Asia? No. Oceania? No.
In a city with more than 10 000? Yes. 100 000? Yes.1 Mio? No, according to Wikipedia. 10 Mio? Therefore, no inhabitants?

By Blazingphoenix (Blazingphoenix) Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:15 pm:
So, is Knives perhaps the name of some animal, like a snake, or a wildcat with big sharp fangs/teeth? Hence Knives? No, but nice idea.

By Rabrab (Rabrab):
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:11 pm:

A fresco? Noish. A frieze? Same "noish" a mosaic? No. a piece of mixed-media artwork? Yesish, I'd say. It's painted, but there's another aspect, another quality, of it which hasn't been discovered yet.

Is the building a business that's open to the public? Exactly. Like an art gallery? mExactly like that, you're veeeery near. Just say the right word....
Is it a building that houses government offices? No.

Would the members of the public who go into the building all have at least one physical characteristic in common? No. one interest? Yes.

By Rabrab (Rabrab) Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:18 pm:

Also: Is the title relevant? Absolutely not, it's meant to be misleading, as in the best LP tradition :-) Is "he" in fact, the host? No. if not, is he a guide? No. a fellow visitor? Yes. an official of some sort? No.

Getting very near...
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IS the building a museum ? Is the speaker the curator? Is he leading a tour of the building?
Christine (Christine)
Username: Christine

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he in a museum?
Is the speaker in fact the person who hid knives?
Is he immitating something somebody depicted in the artwork could say? Or something the artist could say?
Is there anything in the artwork other than the "water" and the "knives"?
Is he the artist?
Is there an optical illusion?
Is this a Magic Eye puzzle where the image looks like water but if you stare at it you could see knives?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Peter365 (Peter365) Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:42 am:
IS the building a museum ? YES Is the speaker the curator? No. Is he leading a tour of the building? No.

By Christine (Christine) Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:45 am: Is he in a museum? Yes
Is the speaker in fact the person who hid knives? No.
Is he immitating something somebody depicted in the artwork could say? YOPE, a major point clarified, but another detail is wrong. Or something the artist could say? Yesish
Is there anything in the artwork other than the "water" and the "knives"? Yes.
Is he the artist? Absolutely not. He, as above, is a fellow visitor.
Is there an optical illusion? No.
Is this a Magic Eye puzzle where the image looks like water but if you stare at it you could see knives? Not at all.

Almost there. HINT: The general tone of the sentence might be clear by now. But does anyone want to say it aloud? Or I could.
Christine (Christine)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there people depicted in the artwork?
Is his tone playful? Doing an impression? Telling his fellow museum visitors to look at something? Telling "people" in the artwork to watch out for something?
Is the museum in France? Italy? Spain?
Are other objects (other than people) depicted in the artwork relevant?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 595
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the two other people visitors as well? to him are they friends? family members? strangers?
Did this happen at an exhibition?
Did this happen in the north? east? south? west? centre? of Europe? in the UK? Germany?
Is the artwork made of: metal? wood? paper? cardboard? glass? stone? concrete? tissue? organic material? plastic? rubber?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Christine (Christine) Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:16 am:

Are there people depicted in the artwork? No.
Is his tone playful? Yes. Doing an impression? He's not imitating someone specific, if you mean that. Telling his fellow museum visitors to look at something? Hmmm, no. Referring to something all of them were looking at, but not telling them to look at something, because they already were doing so. Telling "people" in the artwork to watch out for something? No, FA, see first answer.
Is the museum in France? No. Italy? Yes. Spain? No.
Are other objects (other than people) depicted in the artwork relevant? Definitely, and FA, see first answer.}

By Tobasi (Tobasi) Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:54 am:
Are the two other people visitors as well? Yes. to him are they friends? 1b{Yes.} family members? No. strangers? No.
Did this happen at an exhibition? Do you mean something like a specific event with a beginning date and an end date? No, it's a permanent museum.
Did this happen in the north? east? south? west? centre? of Europe? in the UK? Germany? Italy, see above.
Is the artwork made of: metal? wood? paper? cardboard? glass? stone? This one. Painted and engraved stone. concrete? tissue? organic material? plastic? rubber? No to the rest.
Christine (Christine)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this the Vatican museum? The Uffizi Gallery? A museum in Rome? Venice? Florence?
This refers to a specific famous piece of artwork?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Christine (Christine) Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:42 pm:

Is this the Vatican museum? No. The Uffizi Gallery? No. A museum in Rome? No. Venice? No. Florence? No.
This refers to a specific famous piece of artwork? No. Just an obscure item shown among many of the same kind.
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the speaker trying to give a voice to the artist?
was there any relevant text?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 598
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say anything relevant before? his friends?
Was he reading or citing something?
Was there a written explication of the artwork? relevant?
Did he speak in the place of something represented in the artwork?
Is it relevant in which era the artwork was made? modern times? is the style realism? far from realism?
What is shown in the artwork: a river? the sea? a lake? a boat? a fish? a shore? a landscape? a building?
Christine (Christine)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said figuring out the city would give the educated puzzle solver an advantage. Is this because there is a specific museum in that Italian city? Does that museum contain a lot of artwork of the type of this artwork? Is there a collection of artwork made of stone that is painted and engraved? You said the particular artwork referred to in the puzzle is just an obscure item: does it exist in reality (ie: if I got on a plane to Italy right now and went to this museum could I see this piece of artwork? Or artwork like it?) Could the speaker's statement be said about the other artwork or only the specific piece of artwork? Does this room of the museum contain a lot of art of that piece's style? Any other artwork important or only that piece?
Would a viewer looking at the art see knives? Water? Are the knives hard to see?
Blazingphoenix (Blazingphoenix)
Username: Blazingphoenix

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

painted stone... Is it a fountain at all?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight) Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:13 pm:

was the speaker trying to give a voice to the artist? YES, although, I must remark now that it's been clarified, NOT in a serious way.
was there any relevant text? Yesish. Very good question.

By Tobasi (Tobasi) Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:01 pm:

Did he say anything relevant before? No. his friends? Noish.
Was he reading or citing something? Yope. (not in the sense that he was reading and not citing, nor citing and not reading: in the sense that he was yopeishly reading something.)
Was there a written explication of the artwork? Argh.... terribly difficult question. Yope, I venture. relevant?
Did he speak in the place of something represented in the artwork? As opposed to speaking in the place of the artist? Then, no.
Is it relevant in which era the artwork was made? Absolutely yes. modern times? No. is the style realism? Uhm... I'm not an art expert, so I can't say. Maybe the best way to answer it is: the cathegory is not appliable in this case. far from realism? See above.
What is shown in the artwork: a river? Yesish the sea? No. a lake? No. a boat? No. a fish? No. a shore? No. a landscape? No. a building? No.

By Christine (Christine) Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:22 pm:

You said figuring out the city would give the educated puzzle solver an advantage. Is this because there is a specific museum in that Italian city? Exactly in this sense It's basically the only really famous museum that exists in that city, I think. Does that museum contain a lot of artwork of the type of this artwork? Yes. Is there a collection of artwork made of stone that is painted and engraved? Not in the sense of "And here, in that wing, you can see Mr. John Smith's famous collection of engraved and painted stone", no. You said the particular artwork referred to in the puzzle is just an obscure item: does it exist in reality (ie: if I got on a plane to Italy right now and went to this museum could I see this piece of artwork? Or artwork like it?) Yes, you could. Actually I was thinking to post the $po1ler to this puzzle in terms of a jpeg with a comment, using imageshack or so. Do you guys think it would be against the rules? I'm a bit late, I don't know how they have changed in these three-four years... Could the speaker's statement be said about the other artwork or only the specific piece of artwork? Maybe about some other artwork. Does this room of the museum contain a lot of art of that piece's style? Yes. Any other artwork important or only that piece? For the puzzle? Only that one.
Would a viewer looking at the art see knives? Yes-ish (but ignore the -ish for now) Water?Same as above. Are the knives hard to see? No.

By Blazingphoenix (Blazingphoenix) Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:04 pm:

painted stone... Is it a fountain at all? No. Did I ever say it was? If I did, I apologize and I'm ready to correct the blooper.
Christine (Christine)

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would we need to be familiar with the piece of artwork to fully solve the puzzle?
Do we need to name the artwork/artist/museum?
Is the part of the artwork that is engraved text? Writing on the artwork?
Is the speaker giving voice to the artist in the sense that he is translating something the artist wrote?
But is it a joking tone because he is only pretending to translate what the artist wrote but in fact making it a joke? As in, giving a false caption to a picture?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 600
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The era in which the artwork was made:
before Christ? 1st? 2nd? .. 20th? century?
Is the artwork object art as such or has it any other use (say to sit on)?
Is he using facial expressions? gesture?
Do his friends laugh?
Would he probably have said the same thing if he had been with strangers instead of friends?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Christine (Christine) Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:09 am: Would we need to be familiar with the piece of artwork to fully solve the puzzle? If it means "Do we need to already know what the piece of artwork looks like to have a chance to solve this puzzle?" The answer is "no". If it means "Would a rough deduction of what the piece of artwork looks like be considered a satisfying solution to the puzzle?" The answer is "Yesish: a recap would be appreciated anyway, since the question of the puzzle is 'What's going on?' "
Do we need to name the artwork/artist/museum? Not necessarily. But it might be helpful.
Is the part of the artwork that is engraved text? YES, great question. Writing on the artwork? Yope. Don't worry, everything will be clear quite soon.
Is the speaker giving voice to the artist in the sense that he is translating something the artist wrote? Yes-ish, see below.
But is it a joking tone because he is only pretending to translate what the artist wrote but in fact making it a joke? YES. Perfect description of what happened. As in, giving a false caption to a picture? Yesish, something like that, although the example isn't perfect.

By Tobasi (Tobasi) Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:42 am:

The era in which the artwork was made:
before Christ? Yes. 1st? 2nd? .. 20th? century? No to all.
Is the artwork object art as such or has it any other use (say to sit on)? The latter, although not to sit on.
Is he using facial expressions? Not really. gesture? Yes, he's pointing at the relevant part of the relevant piece of artwork.
Do his friends laugh? Exactly.
Would he probably have said the same thing if he had been with strangers instead of friends? No, you're not likely to crack stupid jokes with complete strangers, are you?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is translation involved? is original language of the text relevant?
is it Latin?
so is the joke funny when you reveal what they are looking at (other than text)?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carved and painted stone, and used, but not to sit on... A bowl? a vase? A Grecian urn? a cup or goblet?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a sarcophagus?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 611
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a museum for arts? history? archeology? anything else?
Is the era in which the artwork was made more than 50? 100? 200? 500? 1000? 2000? 5000? 10000? years before Christ?
So at this time the artwork was used by men? would you have found it inside? in the kitchen? living room? bedroom? bathroom?
Is he pointing at the "water"? the "knives"? the text?
Christine (Christine)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The stone is not carved or engraved other than the text? Other than the text it is only painted?
Is it important to know what the text originally meant?
Is there a scene painted?
Is it important where the text is? On a frame? On a bench? On a plaque?
Can the museum visitors touch the art? Interact with it?
Is the man joking that his friends could be hurt if they touch the object?
Is the object's use for entertainment, food, battle, hunting, travel?
Sjhastings (Sjhastings)
Username: Sjhastings

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Jesus depicted on the stone? Walking on water? Long shot I know, but I just wanted to be sure :-)

Sam
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight) Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:35 pm:

is translation involved? Yes is original language of the text relevant? Yes, absolutely.
is it Latin? No.
so is the joke funny when you reveal what they are looking at (other than text)? Yes - although A) I doubt the joke will be funny anymore, after a one-week-long puzzle (it's a quite stupid joke after all), and B) there's a FA in your brackets.

By Rabrab (Rabrab) Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:37 pm:
Carved and painted stone, and used, but not to sit on... A bowl? No. a vase? No. A Grecian urn? No. a cup or goblet? No.

By Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight) Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:50 pm:

a sarcophagus? No, BUT...

By Tobasi (Tobasi) Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:18 pm:
Was it a museum for arts? No. history? Yope. archeology? Yes. anything else? No.
Is the era in which the artwork was made more than 50? Yes 100? Yes 200? Yes 500? Yes 1000? Yes 2000? Yes 5000? No 10000? No years before Christ?
So at this time the artwork was used by men? That kind of artwork was. would you have found it inside? You mean inside buildings? Yes, definitely in some kind of buildings. in the kitchen? living room? bedroom? bathroom? But neither of these, I'd say (although my knowledge on the subject is limited).
Is he pointing at the "water"? Yes. the "knives"? Yes. the text? Yes.

By Christine (Christine) Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:38 am: The stone is not carved or engraved other than the text? Correct. Other than the text it is only painted? Incorrect.
Is it important to know what the text originally meant? \bNot really.}
Is there a scene painted? No.
Is it important where the text is? You mean in what part of the object? No. On a frame? But not this. On a bench? No. On a plaque? No.
Can the museum visitors touch the art? Generally they can't (in the case of that item they can't), and even when they could they're not allowed to anyway. Interact with it? See above.
Is the man joking that his friends could be hurt if they touch the object? No.
Is the object's use for entertainment, food, battle, hunting, travel? Neither of these.

By Sjhastings (Sjhastings) Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:58 pm: Is Jesus depicted on the stone? Walking on water? Long shot I know, but I just wanted to be sure :-)

Sam Nice idea, but no :-)

You should more or less have all the elements to make the final deductions now about what the "art" and what the "writings" are :-)
Sjhastings (Sjhastings)
Username: Sjhastings

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hieroglyphics? Symbols showing knives and water, not meant to be taken literally?
Christine (Christine)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it some sort of tomb stone? Something indicating where somebody has died? When somebody has died? A recovered mummy?
So the "art" is the "text"? The "water" and the "knives" are text? He is jokingly translating something written in hieroglyphics to literally incorporate those symbols?
Is it The Museo Egizio is a museum in Turin, Italy (Egyptian archaeology and anthropology)?
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sjhastings (Sjhastings) Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:24 pm:

Hieroglyphics? YES!! Symbols showing knives and water, not meant to be taken literally? See above.

By Christine (Christine) Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:36 am:
Is it some sort of tomb stone? irrelevant. Something indicating where somebody has died? irrelevant. When somebody has died? irrelevant. A recovered mummy? No.
So the "art" is the "text"? Perfect, I couldn't have said it better myself. The "water" and the "knives" are text? Exactly. He is jokingly translating something written in hieroglyphics to literally incorporate those symbols? Precisely what he's doing.
Is it The Museo Egizio is a museum in Turin, Italy (Egyptian archaeology and anthropology)? Indeed it is. It's the only museum that city is really famous for, hence my observation that knowing about the name of the city would have made the puzzle easier.

Almost there - can you, in the end, describe me roughly which symbols and in what sequence were on that piece of stone? This'll wrap up the puzzle.
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, using this handy-dandy guide, I'd say, reading from top to bottom, D N Y. Maybe D N E, but he said "knives"
Christine (Christine)

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe the first symbol is an eye, for watch out? And then there would be water, and underneath that would be knives?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I would also say an eye, a waved waterline and knives.
Ozymandias (Ozymandias)

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And so it is, congratulations to you all :-)

*********** SPOILER **************

During a visit to Turin's Aegyptian Museum, watching a piece of wall of an ancient building:

Person A (Watching the hieroglyphics with an expression of someone trying to figure out something): "Mmmmmhhhhh..."

Person B: "What? What does it say?"

Person A (Pointing at a part of the hyerolyphics where an eye was drawn, and below it something resembling a wave of water, and below this second symbol a third one resembling three knives): "It's obvious: 'Watch out! Under the level of the water, I've hidden sharp knives!'"
(general laughter)
(The End)

Congratulations to everybody for the patience and the sharp mind, hope you had fun :-)
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I had fun. Thank you for a nice puzzle.
Christine (Christine)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a link to that picture you were thinking of posting as a $poiler? I'd be curious to see what you're actually referring to :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: