[Alex319] Buy before you buy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2007 » [Alex319] Buy before you buy « Previous Next »

Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I prefer to go to a particular store because it has a particular product, even though the product is something I already have at home and have no interest in buying.
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 650
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the product for sale in the store? Or is it used by the store itself? Eg, they have a computer to process the sales at checkout so you go there because it makes the shopping process quicker, but you have a computer at home (this is just an example, am I at all on the right track?)
Is it relevant what the store sells?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the product for sale in the store? Yesish Or is it used by the store itself? No Eg, they have a computer to process the sales at checkout so you go there because it makes the shopping process quicker, but you have a computer at home (this is just an example, am I at all on the right track?) No
Is it relevant what the store sells? Yes
Sparkplug1 (Sparkplug1)
Username: Sparkplug1

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does the store sell...
food?
clothes?
electronics?
furniture?
pets?
appliances?
cosmetics?
shoes?

do other people buy this product?
could you buy it if you wanted to?
is it on display?
do you have access to it in the store?
do you even like this product?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does the store sell...
food?
clothes?
electronics? Yes
furniture?
pets?
appliances?
cosmetics?
shoes?

do other people buy this product? Yes
could you buy it if you wanted to? Yes
is it on display? Yes
do you have access to it in the store? Yes
do you even like this product? Yes
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you buy any accessories for this product?
If there was another store which sold this product, would it automatically be just as good for you to go there as the one you do go to?
Does anyone else relevant buy this product?
Do you go to the store to buy things? relevant what?
Is the product computer related? laptop? box? printer? monitor? mouse? hard drive? Mac vs. PC relevant?
Is it music related? ipods? other MP3 players? CD players? hi-fis? speakers?
Is it games related? Wii? XBox? XBox 360? Playstation? II? older console?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you buy any accessories for this product? No
If there was another store which sold this product, would it automatically be just as good for you to go there as the one you do go to? No
Does anyone else relevant buy this product? No
Do you go to the store to buy things? Yes relevant what? Yes
Is the product computer related? Yes laptop? box? printer? monitor? mouse? hard drive? Mac vs. PC relevant? None of those
Is it music related? ipods? other MP3 players? CD players? hi-fis? speakers? No
Is it games related? Wii? XBox? XBox 360? Playstation? II? older console? No
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use this computer on display?
If so, do you use this particular computer for a reason? Is this reason related to:
Entertainment?
Work?
Personal?

Does the store provide potential buyers some sort of an incentive that you are attracted by?

Is there something else we have to find specifically about the computer?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3408
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you go to the particular store because of its design? An Apple store? (the one in NYC is awesome).
If you weren't a cash-strapped student would you buy stuff from the store? (An assumption from your profile, I could be wrong of course)
Does it have free or cheap internet access?
Do you get to play on fancy new models?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the store didn't sell the product, but still had them instore for some reason, would you still go there?
Deathateaster (Deathateaster)
Username: Deathateaster

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you go to boast?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use this computer on display? Yes
If so, do you use this particular computer for a reason? Yes Is this reason related to:
Entertainment? Yes
Work?
Personal?

Does the store provide potential buyers some sort of an incentive that you are attracted by? Noish ... there is a reason why I use this computer, although the thing I use it for isn't specifically advertised, and I haven't observed anyone else using it for the same purpose...

Is there something else we have to find specifically about the computer? Yes

Do you go to the particular store because of its design? No An Apple store? No (the one in NYC is awesome).
If you weren't a cash-strapped student would you buy stuff from the store? Yes - cost is not the issue here
Does it have free or cheap internet access? Yes
Do you get to play on fancy new models? No

If the store didn't sell the product, but still had them instore for some reason, would you still go there? Yes

Did you go to boast? No
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you use the computer to charge your ipod?
Do you have to connect to the internet to use the computer in the way you do? Is that all you use the computer for? Do you have to plug something into it? Do you think it's likely you could use my computer at home for the same purpose? Do you use your computer at home for the same purpose?
Does the store manager know that you use the computer in the way you do? if they did, would they object?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you use the computer to charge your ipod? No
Do you have to connect to the internet to use the computer in the way you do? Yes Is that all you use the computer for? Yes Do you have to plug something into it? No Do you think it's likely you could use my computer at home for the same purpose? Yes, if it had internet access Do you use your computer at home for the same purpose? Yes
Does the store manager know that you use the computer in the way you do? I don't think so if they did, would they object? Not sure, probably not
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 733
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you said that you would use your computer at home for the same purpose "if it had internet access"...does this mean that your computer at home does not have internet access?

important how long you are staying on the computer in the store?
are you downloading something from the store's computer?

are you buying something online using the store's computer? (is title relevant? you mentioned the word "buy" in there...)

are you watching (or listening to) something on the store's computer? videos? radio? other?

if you do have internet access on your home computer, do you use the computer with internet access at the store so the ip address to your own computer won't be traced?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you said that you would use your computer at home for the same purpose "if it had internet access"...does this mean that your computer at home does not have internet access? It does have internet access. I do use the computer at home for this purpose, but there's a reason I also use it in the store...

important how long you are staying on the computer in the store? Only a few minutes ... noish
are you downloading something from the store's computer? No

are you buying something online using the store's computer? No (is title relevant? you mentioned the word "buy" in there...) Not really

are you watching (or listening to) something on the store's computer? Yes, for svv of "watch" videos? No radio? No other? Yes

if you do have internet access on your home computer, do you use the computer with internet access at the store so the ip address to your own computer won't be traced? No
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you read anything on the store's computer?
Is the time at which you use the store's computer relevant (eg, you can't be at home at that time)?
Do you answer questions on your lateral puzzles?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you read anything on the store's computer? Yes
Is the time at which you use the store's computer relevant (eg, you can't be at home at that time)? No
Do you answer questions on your lateral puzzles? No, I was doing this long before I discovered the LTPF
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3410
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a filter on your home computer that the store one doesn't?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there an intranet you can access in this computer, that let's you browse something that would make your shopping easier? Say a catalog? some other information?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a filter on your home computer that the store one doesn't? No

Is there an intranet you can access in this computer, No, I can access the same information from my home computer as I can from the store computer that let's you browse something that would make your shopping easier? Yes, I can get information to make my shopping easier Say a catalog? No some other information? Yes
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 741
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so, since the product is computer related--do you browse the computer at a computer store so you might be able to ask salespeople information about various products you are interested in buying? so you can compare the items you are interested in buying with items that are in the store? so you can become more informed about the products before buying them?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so, since the product is computer related--do you browse the computer at a computer store so you might be able to ask salespeople information about various products you are interested in buying? No So you can compare the items you are interested in buying with items that are in the store? Noish so you can become more informed about the products before buying them? Yes
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the items that you want to buy via the online store in the real store? or just online? Would "competitive" items be in the store that you wouldn't find online (so you could compare an item in the real store to the one online)?

Are you thinking about saving money somehow--like no sales tax? (though shipping might be pricy, I would think)...

If you found an item that you liked, would you be more likely to buy it at the store or online? or are their other factors where you might buy something online one time, and another time, you might end up buying something at the store?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the items that you want to buy via the online store in the real store? FA or just online? FA Would "competitive" items be in the store that you wouldn't find online (so you could compare an item in the real store to the one online)? FA

Are you thinking about saving money somehow--like no sales tax? (though shipping might be pricy, I would think)... No

If you found an item that you liked, would you be more likely to buy it at the store or online? At the store or are their other factors where you might buy something online one time, and another time, you might end up buying something at the store? FA
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 711
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is a specific software relevant? any game?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 415
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is a specific software relevant? No any game? Yes
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 712
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pc game? console game? other? do you play it? online multiplayer?
a specific game? or more of a game format?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 416
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pc game? These console game? And some of these other? do you play it? Yes, but not in the store online multiplayer? Irrelevant
a specific game? No or more of a game format? This applies to all computer games and console games

You have all the information you need to solve this puzzle. Now to put it all together...
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 301
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you don't test the game in the store?
But avail of some information at the store computer that makes it easier for you to choose games?

This information - is it related to:
Price?
Compatibility with your current computer hardware / software?
Popularity or Quality ratings?
Alex319 (Alex319)

Post Number: 418
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you don't test the game in the store? Correct
But avail of some information at the store computer that makes it easier for you to choose games? Yes

This information - is it related to:
Price? No
Compatibility with your current computer hardware / software?No
Popularity or Quality ratings? Yes

Spoiler: When I see a game that I think I would like in the store, I go to the computer where you can try out their free Internet access and look up the review on Gamespy.com.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: