[Noobdogg] Not so little, is he? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2007 » [Noobdogg] Not so little, is he? « Previous Next »

Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cory was singing, but didn't realise it was once a lateral riddle! Then, just for fun, Arthur put it in his ear again and all he heard was gibberish!

Acknowledgements: Suido
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

not more babblefish are there? arthur dent? or are you just trying to lead me down the wrong track??
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

not more babblefish are there? arthur dent? or are you just trying to lead me down the wrong track?? Haha :-D You're bang on the track. Yes, Arthur Dent put the babel fish in his ear.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 881
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the same principle working then... like River Avon? (river river).

Is Big involved?
Wild stab... Short shorts?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the same principle working then... like River Avon? (river river). No, this isn't a repetition of the same meaning

Is Big involved? I'm not sure I know what you are referring to. So I guess you can assume it isn't, since it rings no bells here. Or are you referring to what the title might indicate? Well yes, vaguely.
Wild stab... Short shorts? Haha, no. No overemphasis here.

Tom, this has more to do with the early part of Suido's puzzle. That the babel fish translated the phonetics of what it heard.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noobdogg... now you're giving away info!

Ok... lateral riddle..well known one... or is this a reference to tell us to look at Suido's puzzle?

real song?
rhyme?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noobdogg... now you're giving away info! Yikes! You're right, I should be more cryptic!

Ok... lateral riddle..well known one... or is this a reference to tell us to look at Suido's puzzle? No, this is an extremely well known one

real song?
rhyme? It's a rhyme yes :-)
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 885
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not necessarily more cryptic..just more careful!

right - a rhyme (lateral of course) that has the possibility for babel confusion inc. ...

Brothers and sisters have I ....nope

As I was going to St Ives ... possible

Hmmm engage grey matter...

The language mix up... between english and another language? set of languages? accent relevant?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not necessarily more cryptic..just more careful! Will do

right - a rhyme (lateral of course) that has the possibility for babel confusion inc. ...

Brothers and sisters have I ....nope

As I was going to St Ives ... possible Lol, no

Hmmm engage grey matter...

The language mix up... between english and another language? This set of languages? accent relevant? No-ish
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 887
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to identofy the language....

french?
Spanish?
Italian?
German?
Hindi?
Russian?
American "English"...(just kidding...LOL)
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to identofy the language....

french? This one
Spanish?
Italian?
German?
Hindi?
Russian?
American "English"...(just kidding...LOL) Haha, np. COLOUR! FAVOURITE! RATIONALISE! (To hell with MS Word SpellCheck!)
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 890
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok English and french....

to see the sea sea sea?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok English and french....

to see the sea sea sea? No
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 844
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

frere jacques? din din don?
Alouette?

is the song french and translated english? or english and translated french?
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sacrilege!!! Heresy!!!! Blasphemer!!11!1!11!!1! To cast aspersions at that most Holy of Institutions :

Microsoft™®©

You're going to burn in Heck now, you know that, right?

...or be assimilated, but mostly it's hard to tell the difference.
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

frere jacques? din din don?
Alouette? No to all

is the song french and translated english? or english and translated french? Not sure I get what you mean m8, but Cory was singing an english "song" yes.

quote:

Sacrilege!!! Heresy!!!! Blasphemer!!11!1!11!!1! To cast aspersions at that most Holy of Institutions :

Microsoft™®©

You're going to burn in Heck now, you know that, right?

...or be assimilated, but mostly it's hard to tell the difference.

FATAL ERROR: Windows was unable to comply with the "go to hell" command you specified.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 904
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aw come on Noobdogg... Bodo didn't send you to hell... he sent you to Heck... Watch out for Phil, the Prince of Insufficent Light! Don't you read your Dilbert?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aw come on Noobdogg... Bodo didn't send you to hell... he sent you to Heck... Watch out for Phil, the Prince of Insufficent Light! Don't you read your Dilbert? LoL, I hail from the land of Asok the IIT nerd, what do u think?
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that or you'll be forced to live in an alternate universe where Apple computer and PARC never existed, so you'll be using DOS 9002774.1 release q with the new and improved 9-character filenames, woo!!

And, you'll
still like it better than Windows...
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

Well, that or you'll be forced to live in an alternate universe where Apple computer and PARC never existed, so you'll be using DOS 9002774.1 release q with the new and improved 9-character filenames, woo!!

And, you'll still like it better than Windows...

LoL! These insights, while entertaining, cannot replace questions for long, so HIT ME!
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 906
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rhythm stick please sister!

So a rhyme in English that sounds like french but ain't...?
Zenith (Zenith)
Username: Zenith

Post Number: 529
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So a rhyme in English that sounds like french but ain't...? Yes!

Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup? No
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm clueless about French ):
OK, I'll guess...
Is it a well known English idiom? A phrase? A Cliche?
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant?
Do any of the English words sound like petit? petite? si petite? si petit?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm clueless about French ): No knowledge of French needed :-)
OK, I'll guess...
Is it a well known English idiom? A phrase? A Cliche? None of these

Is the title relevant? Yes, and you've used it well below :-)
Do any of the English words sound like petit? petite? si petite? si petit? YES! Well done bro, yes, something in the original English 'song' sounded like 'petit', which was translated to 'little' by the babel fish.
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 858
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would the phrase actually be something like "put it?" maybe pat-a-cake==put it in the oven for baby and me?

or did the rhyme have the phrase "pet it" or "pet. It"?

I was also thinking of Mary Had a Little Lamb--but I don't think they use the phrase "pet it" or "pet. it"
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 915
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how about "petty"? "Petey"?.. relevant?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 412
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would the phrase actually be something like "put it?" maybe pat-a-cake==put it in the oven for baby and me? No

or did the rhyme have the phrase "pet it" or "pet. It"? Neither

I was also thinking of Mary Had a Little Lamb--but I don't think they use the phrase "pet it" or "pet. it" No, but you're OTRT with the type of 'song'. Keep trying.

how about "petty"? "Petey"?.. relevant? No to all
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

humpty dumpty?
I suppose "sat on a wall" could all sound like French words if you were in the mood, but that's not a riddle, is it?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

humpty dumpty? Well done!
I suppose "sat on a wall" could all sound like French words if you were in the mood, but that's not a riddle, is it? See below ^^

******** SPOILER *********

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

The fact that Humpty Dumpty is an egg is not actually stated in the rhyme. In its first printed form, in 1810, it is a riddle, and exploits for misdirection the fact that "humpty dumpty" was 18th-Century reduplicative slang for a short, clumsy person. Whereas a clumsy person falling off a wall would not be irreparably damaged, an egg would be. The rhyme is no longer posed as a riddle, since the answer is now so well known. Similar riddles have been recorded by folklorists in other languages, such as Boule Boule in French, or Lille Trille in Swedish & Norwegian; though none is as widely known as Humpty Dumpty is in English.

A phonetic variation composed of near-sounding French words of the rhyme is also used in the fields of systems analysis, knowledge management, and requirements management in software development to illustrate the complexity of human communications. It is useful in bilingual or near-bilingual environments to show the issues involved in crossing over from the oral world typical of implicit knowledge to the written world of explicit knowledge.

One of the many variations is thus:

Homme petit d'homme petit, s'attend, n'avale
Homme petit d'homme petit, à degrés de bègues folles
Anal deux qui noeuds ours, anal deux qui noeuds s'y mènent
Coup d'un poux tome petit tout guetteur à gaine

If this is read out slowly (by somebody who has a good enough knowledge of French to pronounce it properly, but has not been told a nursery rhyme is involved) to an audience of persons who have been warned a nursery rhyme is involved, the reader would be rather bemused and the listeners would very rapidly recognize the nursery rhyme. Reading the passage aloud will make the effect clear.

A literal translation of the French words (by somebody with a good knowledge of French, and a moderate knowledge of English but no knowledge of the nursery rhyme) would come out thus:

Little man of little man, waits for himself, does not swallow
Little man of little man, by degrees of stuttering madwomen
Anal two that knots bears, anal two that leads
Strike from a louse small volume any watchman with a fish
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 910
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good one!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: