[BeauDeaux] Hansom Dude Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2007 » [BeauDeaux] Hansom Dude « Previous Next »

Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So back when Chuck (Wildcard on the forum) and I were roommates, I went to pick him up at SFO (San Francisco Airport) from a business trip. While SFO is maybe 45 minutes north of where we lived at the time (depending on traffic), I was in a funky mood (relationship issues with my then-girlfriend). Having to deal with airport traffic (including obnoxious cabbies) was not, somehow, reducing my stress levels. I had checked earlier (this was before the internet, so I had to actually use the phone, but at least it had buttons (: ) and the flight was on time, but I made at least three (possibly more) laps around looking for him and I couldn't find him. Finally I parked in the short-term lot and walked in. When I found him (he'd been waiting patiently in plain sight, even though I'd never seen him) it turned out that the reason I hadn't seen him was something neither of us (nor anyone else) could be blamed for. So what the heck was going on?

I will not be able to answer much during the day (that would be, let's see, between about 3:00pm and midnight forum-time), so please be patient. Wildcard is Not Allowed to participate (sorry Chuck) and if I've run this before and/or posted it in the chatroom, anyone what rememberificates it should pleeze refrain from participatification. Thanque Youse.
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you circle the right spot (arrivals, not departures)? Does it have anything to with different levels? If you walked around the building instead of driving, would you then have seen him? Was he visible from the outside at all? Is it relevant what car you were driving?
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the angle wrong? if you'd been driving a higher vehicle like a truck or something could you have seen him? something obscuring your view?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3463
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it that one way type of glass at ground level of the building?
Wildcard (Wildcard)
Username: Wildcard

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*mmmph*
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol Wildcard... Anyways, what's up with your name in the title?

This is a true story I gather? Was he wearing anything particular? You could blame nothing at all? Was he sitting there all the time you drove round and round?
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there someone using an invisibility ray? Is it all done with mirrors? If you'd gotten out of your car and walked around the same route, would you have seen him? If he'd been wearing different clothes? if he'd been naked? If he'd been standing in a spot three feet to the right of the spot in which he was actually standing? three feet to the left? if he'd been three feet taller?
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eli Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:04 am:

Did you circle the right spot (arrivals, not departures)? Yes. Does it have anything to with different levels? Yes. If you walked around the building instead of driving, would you then have seen him? Hard to answer, I'll say No. Was he visible from the outside at all? Yes. Is it relevant what car you were driving? It was a 1989 Acura Integra, which was probably a year or so old at the time, and No, not relevant.

~damia~Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:23 am:

was the angle wrong? No. if you'd been driving a higher vehicle like a truck or something could you have seen him? No. something obscuring your view? No. Although I did see a great juxtaposition of a STOP sign with a "No Stopping Any Time" sign.

Lynne Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 5:28 pm:

Was it that one way type of glass at ground level of the building? No, he was actually standing patiently at the curb waiting for me.

Wildcard Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:50 pm:

*mmmph* Rezackly.

Crazypalpig Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 7:35 pm:

Lol Wildcard... Anyways, what's up with your name in the title? 'Taint - that's what they call taxicabs in Londontown.

This is a true story I gather? It are. Was he wearing anything particular? Er, I suppose - Chuck, what were you wearing? You could blame nothing at all? That's my opinion (Chuck might have a different one). Was he sitting there all the time you drove round and round? I think so - we didn't sycronize chronographs or anything.

Bentarm Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:15 pm:

Was there someone using an invisibility ray? Not to my knowledge. Is it all done with mirrors? No. If you'd gotten out of your car and walked around the same route, would you have seen him? No. If he'd been wearing different clothes? No. if he'd been naked? No. If he'd been standing in a spot three feet to the right of the spot in which he was actually standing? No. three feet to the left? No. if he'd been three feet taller? No.
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3465
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was his 'exit' on a different level then to the one that you drive round?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think beauDeaux would actually translate as handsome water... anyway
Had you driven past the point at which he was standing at any point in your circuits?
Did you have to walk over any stairs when you did the walking into the building?
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:58 am:

Was his 'exit' on a different level then to the one that you drive round? Yes.

Bentarm Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:03 pm:

I think beauDeaux would actually translate as handsome water... anyway I don't speak Portuguese, so I can't help.
Had you driven past the point at which he was standing at any point in your circuits? No.
Did you have to walk over any stairs when you did the walking into the building? Strictly technically accurate answer would be no.
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you use an escalator? walk over ramp? use a lift?
Did you park the car on the same level as the level you'd been driving around on? had you been driving around on one single level?
were there any people stood outside the terminal building waiting to be picked up on the route of the circuit you took?
Is there any relevant signage?
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bentarm Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:41 pm:

Did you use an escalator? Yes - eventually. walk over ramp? use a lift? No to these.
Did you park the car on the same level as the level you'd been driving around on? Yes. had you been driving around on one single level? Yes.
were there any people stood outside the terminal building waiting to be picked up on the route of the circuit you took? Yes - it was the arrivals level.
Is there any relevant signage? Just the "go here for arrivals" kind of thing.
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to check, is any of the puzzle statement before this bit:
" I made at least three (possibly more) laps around looking for him and I couldn't find him. Finally I parked in the short-term lot and walked in. When I found him (he'd been waiting patiently in plain sight, even though I'd never seen him) it turned out that the reason I hadn't seen him was something neither of us (nor anyone else) could be blamed for. So what the heck was going on?"

actually relevant? Or just an interesting background story?
Were there any other people waiting with Chuck on the other level to be picked up? Was he on an alternative arrivals level? on a departure level? Had he followed any relevant signage?
Would you say that he was standing in the wrong place? that you were looking the wrong place? (through no fault of either of yours, of course) neither of the above?
When you walked into the buildng, did you reaise you were walking into a different level than the level you'd been driving round on?
Did you ever drive over any ramps at any point in this puzzle?
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bentarm Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:51 pm:

Just to check, is any of the puzzle statement before this bit:
" I made at least three (possibly more) laps around looking for him and I couldn't find him. Finally I parked in the short-term lot and walked in. When I found him (he'd been waiting patiently in plain sight, even though I'd never seen him) it turned out that the reason I hadn't seen him was something neither of us (nor anyone else) could be blamed for. So what the heck was going on?"

actually relevant? Or just an interesting background story? The latter.
Were there any other people waiting with Chuck on the other level to be picked up? Not that I saw. Was he on an alternative arrivals level? No. on a departure level? Yes! Had he followed any relevant signage? No.
Would you say that he was standing in the wrong place? Yope. that you were looking the wrong place? Yope. (through no fault of either of yours, of course) neither of the above? Yope.
When you walked into the building, did you realise you were walking into a different level than the level you'd been driving round on? There's a bit of an FA here - I walked into the lower level and eventually went up, walked to the gate where his flight had deplaned, and finally walked out and found him.
Did you ever drive over any ramps at any point in this puzzle? Not really.
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, was there only a sign to "Baggage Claim" that would indicate to deplaning passengers that they should go down a level? So, Wildcard, who wisely only brought carry-on luggage... didn't go to baggage claim? And instead walked out the nearest door to the curb? Which was actually the drop off area for departures? Instead of the pick up area for arrivals?
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dlcygnet Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:09 pm:

Ok, was there only a sign to "Baggage Claim" that would indicate to deplaning passengers that they should go down a level? So, Wildcard, who wisely only brought carry-on luggage... didn't go to baggage claim? And instead walked out the nearest door to the curb? Which was actually the drop off area for departures? Instead of the pick up area for arrivals?

****** Spoiler ******

That is exactly what happened - Chuck just got off the plane and walked out the door, which was on the upper level and is intended for departures. There was no indication from the inside that it was for departures. I, on the other hand, kept circling on the lower level because that is the arrivals area, which is where the baggage claim is. So it wasn't really his fault, since he just took the shortest route to the curb, and it wasn't mine since I was expecting him at arrivals.

Anyhow, that's my version (:
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Muah ha ha! I knew my frequent flyer status had to be good for something!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: