[Buzzard] Blackjack Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2008 » [Buzzard] Blackjack « Previous Next »

Buzzard (Buzzard)
Username: Buzzard

Post Number: 872
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The scene: My office holiday party.

"Seventeen! Seventeen! Anybody for seventeen? No, wait...I mean twenty-one!"

What's going on?
Beroean (Beroean)
Username: Beroean

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Johanna, It's good to see you (so to speak)!
How are you these days?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take it from the title that you aren't playing blackjack? Any other games relevant? Bingo? a raffle? possibly reading a raffle ticket upside down although you'd have to be pretty drunk to think a 2 was an upside down 7? Drinking Games? Alcohol relevant?

Are you the person speaking? If not is it your boss? another colleague? is it relevant who is saying this?
Buzzard (Buzzard)

Post Number: 875
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beroean

Hi Johanna, It's good to see you (so to speak)!
How are you these days?

I'm all right. Since I finally thought of another puzzle, I thought I would come back and post it, and see what happens.

Peter365

I take it from the title that you aren't playing blackjack? quite right - well spotted Any other games relevant? see subsequent answers Bingo? no a raffle? yes indeed possibly reading a raffle ticket upside down although you'd have to be pretty drunk to think a 2 was an upside down 7? this is very very close, but no one involved was even a little bit drunk Drinking Games? no Alcohol relevant? no

Are you the person speaking? If not is it your boss? another colleague? is it relevant who is saying this? it was my boss's boss's assistant - not really relevant
Beroean (Beroean)

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm glad you thought of another puzzle because I've missed you!

Was the dyslexic anouncer's thumb/finger obscuring the bottom horizontal of the figure 2?
Buzzard (Buzzard)

Post Number: 876
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm glad you thought of another puzzle because I've missed you! At the rate you all are going, it's not going to last very long!

Was the dyslexic anouncer's thumb/finger obscuring the bottom horizontal of the figure 2? no
Beroean (Beroean)

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the ticket read upside down initially?

Anything in the environemt relevant?
Anything about the announcer relevant?
Anything about the ticket relevant?
Anybody else relevant?
Anything else relevant?

Excuse the tedium but unlike Peter I am far from inspired at present
Buzzard (Buzzard)

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the ticket read upside down initially? yes

Anything in the environemt relevant? no
Anything about the announcer relevant? apart from what she did, no
Anything about the ticket relevant? no, it was just a slip of paper with a "21" printed on it
Anybody else relevant? no (Obviously there were other people around, because it makes no sense to have a raffle with just one person. But you don't need to know anything about anybody else)
Anything else relevant? You mean any other object? No.

Excuse the tedium but unlike Peter I am far from inspired at present really, you're almost there
Beroean (Beroean)

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is the answer simple (and so unbuzzardly) that the ticket was read upside down initially and that the announcer immediately realised her mistake and turned it the correct way around to announce the rightful number?
Buzzard (Buzzard)

Post Number: 882
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is the answer simple (and so unbuzzardly) that the ticket was read upside down initially and that the announcer immediately realised her mistake and turned it the correct way around to announce the rightful number? well, you have not quite figured out why an upside-down twenty-one would look like a seventeen
Beroean (Beroean)

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, all the credit here goes to Peter as it was he that made the massive lateral leap...

I just wrote down 21 and it does look like 17 when upside down although the little curl of the 2 does look a little suspicious.

That's why I asked the questions about other possible factors being relevant .. unless I have missed something?

So it's something she did - did she obscure the "curl" when reading it somehow?
Or maybe she thought that the "curl" was some modern font style?
Buzzard (Buzzard)

Post Number: 885
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's something she did - did she obscure the "curl" when reading it somehow? this, combined with your previous question about covering part of the 2 with her thumb, is enough for a

******** SPOILER ********
At the office holiday party last month, we had a raffle for seasonally appropriate prizes. The woman running it had an envelope full of slips with numbers on them, and we all had other slips with numbers on them. She drew the slip with the 21, but held it upside-down and covered the curl of the 2 with her thumb, and thought it was the 17.

Well done Peter, well done Simon. Sorry it was so easy.
Beroean (Beroean)

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Peter and thanks Johanna for setting a puzzle that was gettable for me :-)

If you stay around for any time I fear that future puzzles will be far more devious!
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A nice puzzle all the same. Reminds me of a scene in the comedy "Father Ted" where the not too clever father Dougal Maguire is holding the winning raffle ticket but does not realise this as he is holding the winning ticket upside down. His winning number 11

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: