[Grainbeer] The clairvoyant elevator ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2008 » [Grainbeer] The clairvoyant elevator user « Previous Next »

Grainbeer (Grainbeer)
Username: Grainbeer

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A quickie, and from reality:

My office is on the 7th floor. There are two elevators serving it, placed side by side with entrance from the lobby in my office building. They have one common button to call the elevator to the lobby.

However, there are no displays showing where each of the elevators are in the shaft. In spite of that, after I have pushed the button, I always know which elevator is coming, and I can stand in front of the correct elevator door before it arrives. How come?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Username: Mosquito

Post Number: 441
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you hear anything?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you a midget? Do you carry an umbrella?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing of the sort - it is not that one
Rabrab (Rabrab)
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is what you hear the elevator itself? or some other sound connected to the elevator?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you do this only on the 7th floor?
only on the ground floor?
in both places?
If you, for some reason, were on the fourth floor, could you do it there as well?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is what you hear the elevator itself? Yes, but explore or some other sound connected to the elevator? Maybe a bit of that too

Can you do this only on the 7th floor?
only on the ground floor?
in both places?
If you, for some reason, were on the fourth floor, could you do it there as well? In my experience, I can do it on all floors
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so I hear the elevator coming. I realize that it is probably difficult to understand what to explore the way the puzzle was written. Let me therefore add this: I do something that most other people waiting for the elevator probably finds strange. What is it, and why do I do it?
Rabrab (Rabrab)

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you looking at the elevators? looking in another specific place, other than at the elevators?

Does the sound come from the direction of the elevator shaft itself? or are you hearing a sound coming from another direction? (for instance, is there an atrium or open well up the center of the building and you can hear the elevator when it stops at the next floor (up or down)?
Wildfire (Wildfire)
Username: Wildfire

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it a glass elevator?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you looking at the elevators? looking in another specific place, other than at the elevators? I will normally look in the direction of the elevator doors, but it is not relevant

Does the sound come from the direction of the elevator shaft itself? Yes, but explore this or are you hearing a sound coming from another direction? (for instance, is there an atrium or open well up the center of the building and you can hear the elevator when it stops at the next floor (up or down)? There is only this elevator shaft. Of course there is an open well in the building for the staircase, but that is not important

Is it a glass elevator? No
Tobasi (Tobasi)
Username: Tobasi

Post Number: 736
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the Doppler effect relevant, i.e. do you hear a higher tone from an elevator getting closer in contrast to an elevator moving away?
Are the two elevators independant of each other? or is the second one going down while the first one is going up?
The thing you do: produce a sound? do something visible? are any objects involved? any other people?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the Doppler effect relevant, i.e. do you hear a higher tone from an elevator getting closer in contrast to an elevator moving away? no
Are the two elevators independant of each other? or is the second one going down while the first one is going up? I guess they are programmed so that the nearest elevator will arrive. But apart from that, I think they work independently. For instance, I never know whether the right one or the left one will arrive before I push the button

The thing you do: produce a sound? no do something visible? Yes, well, sort of are any objects involved? no any other people? no
Foulglory (Foulglory)
Username: Foulglory

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you press your ear to the elevator doors?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you press your ear to the elevator doors? No, it is not necessary
Adryghi (Adryghi)
Username: Adryghi

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you knock on the doors of the elevators?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you knock on the doors of the elevators? No, I donīt touch the doors at all
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could you still tell if you were blind? or unable to touch anything? is the only relevant noise from the elevator?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you still tell if you were blind? or unable to touch anything? is the only relevant noise from the elevator? Yes, the fact that I can hear the elevator coming is the vital point. But there is something more to it. I behave in a way that some might find strange, and what is that? And why do I do it?
Poprockssuck87 (Poprockssuck87)
Username: Poprockssuck87

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an old elevator? sqeaky?

Have we established you are allowed to use both?

Is it necessary for you to move towards the elevator quickly? for instance do you have a disability that would make you need to react quicker to catch it for some reason?

Is your job relevant to the way you react? for instance do you carry a lot so you need to react quickly?

Do you gamble on what door will open? (joke)

Are you the only person that does this reaction? would it seem strange to someone who also works in the office? someone who doesn't?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an old elevator? sqeaky? So so. Not very old

Have we established you are allowed to use both? No - good thinking, but I am allowed to use both

Is it necessary for you to move towards the elevator quickly? for instance do you have a disability that would make you need to react quicker to catch it for some reason? No - I only move towards the proper door because it amuses me a bit

Is your job relevant to the way you react? No for instance do you carry a lot so you need to react quickly? No

Do you gamble on what door will open? (joke) I might. Do you dare to bet against me? LOL

Are you the only person that does this reaction? I donīt know. But my guess is that very few others think much about this. It is probably a nerdish feature of my personality :-) would it seem strange to someone who also works in the office? I would say yes, if they actually notice what I do, and they havenīt bothered to think about it the same way as me someone who doesn't? Probably, but they might (falsely) think that I know which elevator arrives because it is always that one who comes down first
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)
Username: Arek_fu

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After you press the elevator button, how long does it take before you know which elevator will come? Less than one second? A few seconds?

Would you be able to perform this feat with any elevator? Is there anything unusual about the elevators in this building?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After you press the elevator button, how long does it take before you know which elevator will come? Almost immediately. Maybe a second Less than one second? A few seconds?

Would you be able to perform this feat with any elevator? No Is there anything unusual about the elevators in this building? Yope. It might be worthwhile to explore this
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything unusual with the building architecture? With the elevator shaft? With the doors? With the materials?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything unusual with the building architecture? With the elevator shaft? this... With the doors? With the materials? ...and maybe a bit of this. Mind you: it is probably not very unusual, but not common in all places either
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to be sure, there is nothing unusual with the elevator doors, right? Is it relevant what type of doors they are? Sliding doors? Normal doors? Other?

Is it one of those old elevators with wrought-iron doors that allow you to look in the shaft? Can you look in the shaft when the elevator is not at your floor?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to be sure, there is nothing unusual with the elevator doors, right? Right. The elevator doors are normal Is it relevant what type of doors they are? Sliding doors? Normal doors? Other? No - the design of the doors is irrelevant - the only thing that matters is that they do not completely muffle the sounds from the shaft

Is it one of those old elevators with wrought-iron doors that allow you to look in the shaft? Can you look in the shaft when the elevator is not at your floor? No. Vision is not relevant in this puzzle
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see that you are tending to complicate this puzzle too much, so I will give you a recap:

RECAP

When I stand in the lobby in my office building, I always know which elevator - out of two - will arrive shortly after I have pushed the call button, even though there is no display showing which elevator that is coming. It is because I can hear sounds from the elevator shaft. So I walk to the proper door where the elevator is about to arrive.

However, people who havenīt investigated the situation, would probably think that I act strangely if they give this a consideration. Why is that, and what is the reason for my "strange" behavior?
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant how many floors there are in the building? If so, can you hear a difference in sound on the elevators going up or down?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant how many floors there are in the building? no If so, can you hear a difference in sound on the elevators going up or down? no
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you do something "strange" before you push the call button? While pushing it? After pushing it?
Would I know you are acting "strangely" if I could only see you? If I could only hear you?
Relevant where you stand when you push the button?

Assume I am in the lobby of your office building. I stand in front of the elevator button and I push it.
Without doing anything else, would I be able to understand which elevator will come first?
Would I be able to hear sounds from the shaft?
Would I be able to distinguish sounds from one shaft from the other one?

Is it relevant how far apart the elevators are?

Are you able to tell the elevators apart because they do not make exactly the same sound, but you need to do something "strange" to appreciate the difference?

Out of ideas for the moment...
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you do something "strange" before you push the call button? no While pushing it? no After pushing it? yes
Would I know you are acting "strangely" if I could only see you? Yes, probably If I could only hear you? I doubt so
Relevant where you stand when you push the button? No. The only thing I do is push the button, and then walk to the elevator door where the elevator will arrive. Now, what is strange about that? I suggest you explore this.

Assume I am in the lobby of your office building. I stand in front of the elevator button and I push it.
Without doing anything else, would I be able to understand which elevator will come first? If you had explored it the way I have done, yes. Else, probably no
Would I be able to hear sounds from the shaft? Yes
Would I be able to distinguish sounds from one shaft from the other one? FA

Is it relevant how far apart the elevators are? noish

Are you able to tell the elevators apart because they do not make exactly the same sound, but you need to do something "strange" to appreciate the difference? No, the sound is similar from both elevators

Out of ideas for the moment... I think you are doing fine - shouldnīt bee to long now... keep up the good work :-)
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the call button far from the elevators (say, more than a meter)? Relevant?

Is there something peculiar in the way you walk? In how fast you do it? Very quickly? Very slowly?

About that FA... Is there only one shaft? Do the elevators share the same shaft?
Lporter229 (Lporter229)
Username: Lporter229

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there something physically distinguishing between the two elevators? for instance, one is a freight elevator?

Are the elevators side-by-side? is the call button adjacent to the elevators?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the call button far from the elevators (say, more than a meter)? Relevant? The button is on a panel between the elevator doors. This is not relevant

Is there something peculiar in the way you walk? In how fast you do it? Very quickly? Very slowly? No to all of this

About that FA... Is there only one shaft? YES Do the elevators share the same shaft? YES

Is there something physically distinguishing between the two elevators? for instance, one is a freight elevator? no

Are the elevators side-by-side? yes is the call button adjacent to the elevators? see above
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two elevators in the same shaft? I'm not sure I've ever seen something quite like this. Are the two elevators identical in shape? In size? Are they only different in position?

Is the direction the sound comes from that allows you to tell the elevators apart?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two elevators in the same shaft? I'm not sure I've ever seen something quite like this. It is a wide shaft with space enough for two elevators side by side. Probably there is some construction steering each of the elevators in its part of the shaft, but I have never really looked into it. Are the two elevators identical in shape? Yes In size? Yes Are they only different in position? Yes

Is the direction the sound comes from that allows you to tell the elevators apart? YES
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you press your ear against anything? Against the wall where the button is, for example? Do you then press the button and hear where the sound is coming from?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you press your ear against anything? no Against the wall where the button is, for example? no Do you then press the button and hear where the sound is coming from? Yes. Explore
Zenith (Zenith)
Username: Zenith

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the two elevators connected to each other as a way of counterbalancing? So if one goes up, the other must be coming down? Do they also always go all the way up, and then all the way down, stopping at the floors called?
Can you hear whether a certain elevator is above you or below you? can you hear the drive motor (and the direction it turns) above you?
I.e if you press the up button, and you hear an elevator above you, you realise that the other elevator must be coming to your floor, as the first is either on its upward path and passed you, or on the downward path, thus the other elevator would be going in your direction when it reaches you?
This may not work too well near the ground or top floors, though...
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the two elevators connected to each other as a way of counterbalancing? So if one goes up, the other must be coming down? No - there is no such arrangement Do they also always go all the way up, and then all the way down, stopping at the floors called? They will stop at the floors being called, but not further up or down than necessary. I should add that there are seldom others calling the elevator at the same time as I do. If so, my clairvoyance will be put to a test
Can you hear whether a certain elevator is above you or below you? yes can you hear the drive motor (and the direction it turns) above you? no, not the motor itself
I.e if you press the up button, and you hear an elevator above you, you realise that the other elevator must be coming to your floor, as the first is either on its upward path and passed you, or on the downward path, thus the other elevator would be going in your direction when it reaches you? No, it doesnīt work exactly THAT way, but you may be on some track to the solution here anyway
This may not work too well near the ground or top floors, though... True. And whether the one elevator or the other is below me or above me is irrelevant
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, you say that not many others press the button same time as you. Does that mean that only one elevator is in use at a time? And you can hear what side the sound comes from so you know which one that responds? Would you be able to find out which elevator that was coming if someone on your floor wanted to go in the opposite direction to you?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, you say that not many others press the button same time as you. Does that mean that only one elevator is in use at a time? Not always. But if both elevators are in use at the same time, I get confused, and can not predict which one that will arrive And you can hear what side the sound comes from so you know which one that responds? Yes, under the normal circumstances Would you be able to find out which elevator that was coming if someone on your floor wanted to go in the opposite direction to you? You mean if she pushed the button before me? As long as there is only one elevator being called, I have no problem. Whether I or someone else push the button doesnīt matter. And the direction is not relevant at all

I think you are all complicating this too much. Now you know that the reason that I can tell which elevator arrives is because I can hear sounds from the shaft. The only thing that remains to find out is the character of the sounds, and what I do that some others might find strange if they notice it, in addition to the fact that they can see that I immediately walk to the right elevator door. Why and what is that?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any music playing in the elevators?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any music playing in the elevators? No
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a mechanical sound? a grinding sound? a buzz? Can the same sound be heard from inside the elevator?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a mechanical sound? Yes. I would describe it as a rumble a grinding sound? no a buzz? no Can the same sound be heard from inside the elevator? no, not the same way at least
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you able to hear if the sound is coming towards you or going away from you?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you able to hear if the sound is coming towards you or going away from you? I will hear a sound coming towards me, but I think it is not relevant
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you hear from which side of the elevator shaft the sound is coming, so that's why you know which of them is moving?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you hear from which side of the elevator shaft the sound is coming, so that's why you know which of them is moving? Yes. But there is more to it. What do I do that some might find strange?
Blazingphoenix (Blazingphoenix)
Username: Blazingphoenix

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...you don't imitate the sound, do you?
Is it a physical gesture? Do you move your whole body? Your arms? Your head? Legs? Rock back and forth? Pretend you're psychic and put your hands to your temples as if to summon the correct elevator?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...you don't imitate the sound, do you? No. I am a well-mannered guy who doesnīt act childish in an office building
Is it a physical gesture? Yes Do you move your whole body? Yes.. Your arms? Your head? Legs? ..and mostly this Rock back and forth? no no Pretend you're psychic and put your hands to your temples as if to summon the correct elevator? A good idea. Maybe I shall try that one some day. But up to this date - no
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you be able to hear the sound, and thus know which one is coming, without doing whatever you're doing?

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you kick the door? Do a little jig? Tap the floor with your foot?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you kick the door? Do a little jig? Tap the floor with your foot? No, no. No clownish behavior

Hint:
where do I go?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You forgot my questions. Please???

Is it relevant whether you're going up or down? if so, up? down?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You forgot my questions. Please??? I did. Sorry, Eli!

Is it relevant whether you're going up or down? if so, up? down? No. Not relevant
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you be able to hear the sound from the elevator without doing whatever you're doing?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you be able to hear the sound from the elevator without doing whatever you're doing? Yes. The procedure is simply this: I push the call button, listen to the sounds from the elevator shaft, and then...what?

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk to the right door, of course! (I hope that's right)
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk to the right door, of course! (I hope that's right) Which door?

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The door of the elevator that will arrive first?
Maybe the other door?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The door of the elevator that will arrive first?
Maybe the other door? Of course I go to the door of the elevator that will arrive first. But... explore this related to what I have confirmed earlier that I hear sounds from the shaft
Travis (Travis)
Username: Travis

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the sounds coming from the other side of the shaft as the elevator? For example, say that you hear sounds from the left side of the shaft. Does that mean that the elevator car on the right is coming, and you walk there?
Grainbeer (Grainbeer)

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the sounds coming from the other side of the shaft as the elevator? For example, say that you hear sounds from the left side of the shaft. Does that mean that the elevator car on the right is coming, and you walk there? YES! Solved, finally!

**************************** SPOILER ****************************

In my office building, there are two elevators sharing a shaft. There is no display showing which elevator will arrive when I push the call button (or rather, the display is out of order), but I always know which elevator that will arrive because I can hear sounds from the shaft, so I walk directly to the proper elevator door, and hey! presto! I am always right. What probably is more strange to an observer who hasnīt reflected much about this, I always walk to the opposite door of where the sounds come from. I also did it all wrong in the beginning, but then I realized that the elevator must create rumbling noises that echo more in the longer tube where the other elevator is standing still, and the sounds from the lift machinery probably passes easier through the open shaft than through the elevator body.

Some of you may consider my behavior a bit nerdish, but I would guess most lateral puzzlers take pleasure in such small everyday events the same way as I do.

Thanks for joining my puzzle, and welcome to solve my other one: 'Eager to Please'. I will be away for one week for a holiday in Greece (lucky me), though, but I hope for lots of postings when I return.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: