[Woodworm] Rumpelstiltskin Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2008 » [Woodworm] Rumpelstiltskin « Previous Next »

Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back in 1995, when our office was first connected to the internet, we were all assigned e-mail addresses using a standard format. Once of my workmates, for some reason, had a different format.

Can you name him?
Rubberduck (Rubberduck)
Username: Rubberduck

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume you mean "one of your workmates". Did the format have to do with the position of the person in the office? Was the person with the different format your boss?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume you mean "one of your workmates". Sorry, yes. My bad typing. Did the format have to do with the position of the person in the office? no Was the person with the different format your boss? no
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the format name@company.com or something similar? If not, dd it at least contain the person's name? First name? Last name?

Did he get a different format because of his name? Did it not work in the standard format? Did it look funny or embarrassing?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the format name@company.com or something similar? yes, something similar If not, dd it at least contain the person's name? yes First name? yope Last name? yes

Did he get a different format because of his name? yes Did it not work in the standard format? it worked but .... Did it look funny or embarrassing? ... precisely this
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well.. my parents have an odd format for their centurytel e-mail... does the name assignment have to do with initials? Numbers? Combination of last name with first initial? I.e. Yvette Pew could be ypew@company.com or pewy@company.com.
Did your coworker's name combine with the "company" name poorly? I.e. touchmy@yahoo.com? Was it identical to the company name?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well.. my parents have an odd format for their centurytel e-mail... does the name assignment have to do with initials? partly: see below Numbers? no Combination of last name with first initial? exactly this I.e. Yvette Pew could be ypew@company.com or pewy@company.com.the latter is the relevant one

Did your coworker's name combine with the "company" name poorly? no I.e. touchmy@yahoo.com? no Was it identical to the company name? no, but good thinking
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the company name at all relevant to the odd pairing/convention? As in, does the name suddenly cause the company to be seen in a negative light (Stinky@company.com)?

Does the naming convention result in a word that is a...
Noun?
Verb?
Adjective?
Funny?
Rude?
Crude?
Downright offensive? I.e. Fred Uckme?

Does your coworkers last name start with... A? B? C?... Y? Z?
Does your coworkers first name start with... A? B? C?... Y? Z?
Does the last name contain 1 letter? 2? 3?... 20?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the company name at all relevant to the odd pairing/convention? not in the slightest As in, does the name suddenly cause the company to be seen in a negative light (Stinky@company.com)? no

Does the naming convention result in a word that is a...
Noun?
Verb?
Adjective?
Funny?
Rude?
Crude?
Downright offensive? I.e. Fred Uckme?

not a word as such, but ...

Funny and/or unflattering, depending on how the person would take it
Does your coworkers last name start with... A? B? C?... Y? Z? yes, one of those
Does your coworkers first name start with... A? B? C?... Y? Z? yes, one of those
Does the last name contain 1 letter? 2? 3?... 20? Seven letters, though spelling out the solution to a word-based puzzle one letter at a time would rather remove the puzzle element :-)
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so the convention results in an e-mail name that is... 8 characters long? Spells out an odd word? An odd phrase? Is it gramatically correct except for spacing and punctuation? Is "leet" speak involved?

If phrase... does that phrase...
A statement? (i.e. skyisred)
A question? (i.e. doUluvme)
A command? (i.e. buymenow)
A description? (i.e. uglydude)
Other?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so the convention results in an e-mail name that is... 8 characters long? yes Spells out an odd word? see next An odd phrase? well, an unflattering phrase Is it gramatically correct except for spacing and punctuation? yes Is "leet" speak involved? |\|0, no 1337 at a11, but good thinking.

If phrase... does that phrase...
A statement? (i.e. skyisred)
A question? (i.e. doUluvme)
A command? (i.e. buymenow)
A description? (i.e. uglydude) this one
Other?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the description of...
the person? his work?
General appearance? (deadsexy)... maybe a bit more unflattering though...
A particular habit? (bitenail)
A physical feature? (hugenose)
An attitude? Political stance? (democrat)(cheapgit)
An emotional state? (Grumpier)
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the description of...
the person? this his work? not this
General appearance? (deadsexy)... maybe a bit more unflattering though... yes, and a lot more unflattering

A particular habit? (bitenail) partly this, but not quite like your example
A physical feature? (hugenose) partly this
An attitude? Political stance? (democrat)(cheapgit) not these
An emotional state? (Grumpier) not this
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sherman Hitface? Derek Ickman? Similar?

Is the description also something with a double meaning? Are there any words in the phrase that could be considered a swear word? Does the phrase have 2 words? 3? More?
Does the phrase imply the person has poor grooming habits? Poor drinking habits? Poor bathroom habits? Interesting sexual habits?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sherman Hitface? Derek Ickman? Similar? Hehe, not quite, nor yet the famous C.O.Jones. Don't forget, the initial goes after the surname to make the unflattering phrase. This might apply to quite a few combinations of names and initials, but I can only think of this one.

Is the description also something with a double meaning? not any relevant double meaning, no Are there any words in the phrase that could be considered a swear word? no Does the phrase have 2 words? two 3? More?
Does the phrase imply the person has poor grooming habits? not really Poor drinking habits? this one! well done ... almost there Poor bathroom habits? not this Interesting sexual habits? nor this :-)
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the phrase implies the person is perpetually drunk/under the influence? (drydrunk) (drunkman) Perpetually sober? Is affiliated with a type of alcohol? (beerlovr)
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the phrase implies the person is perpetually drunk/under the influence? yes (drydrunk) (drunkman) Perpetually sober? no Is affiliated with a type of alcohol? (beerlovr) yes-ish, getting warm
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word "drunk" in the phrase? Is a type of drink/alcohol in the phrase? If so... rum? beer? wine? A particular wine (i.e. Merlot)? Whiskey? Gin? Vodka? Brandy? Ale? Cider? Other?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word "drunk" in the phrase? no Is a type of drink/alcohol in the phrase? not quite as such ... If so... rum? beer? wine? ... but this is very close A particular wine (i.e. Merlot)? Whiskey? Gin? Vodka? Brandy? Ale? Cider? Other? no to rest
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about the term 'wino'? Is the other word in the phrase an insulting term like slob? jerk? lush?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about the term 'wino'? that's the one! Is the other word in the phrase an insulting term like slob? jerk? lush? no to rest

Quite close now, a little sidestep to the whole name still needed
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Word order: Is wino the 1st word in the phrase? The 2nd?

Is the other word in the phrase an adjective? Like poor? bad? good?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Word order: Is wino the 1st word in the phrase? The 2nd? this

Is the other word in the phrase an adjective? yes Like poor? bad? good? not these, though 'good' is a clever alternative
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah... I was thinking something along the lines of Orson Goodwin. Fact check: Does his first name start with O at least?

Last name... what about Hardwin?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah... I was thinking something along the lines of Orson Goodwin. Fact check: Does his first name start with O at least? It does indeed! His name's Owen, as it happens, and a lovely guy he is too

Last name... what about Hardwin? Excellent but no: it's a commoner name than this. About as common as Goodwin, I suppose. This will definitely go on the next guess.
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baldwin?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yay! It could only be.

*** SPOILER ***

This rather silly puzzle is dedicated to my retired workmate Owen Baldwin. When we first worked together, his email was just obaldwin when everyone else's was surname + first initial. I never asked him why, but I always assumed it was that he didn't want our students to call him a bald wino.

Besides, I'm much balder and much more of a wino.

Congrats Dlcygnet for a fine near-solo effort. And apologies to Owen if you ever drop by.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: