[Crazypalpig] What a genius plan! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2008 » [Crazypalpig] What a genius plan! « Previous Next »

Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He had his, but pretended he didn't.
He2 had his, and that is why He1 did.

He1= first He's
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "thing" that he (for each "he") had a tangible object? An abstract state of being (e.g. happiness)? An event (e.g. "he had his birthday today")?

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "thing" that he (for each "he") had a tangible object?Yope An abstract state of being (e.g. happiness)?Yope An event (e.g. "he had his birthday today")?Hmmm hard to say.. Yope.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I assume from your answer that neither option I suggested is exactly correct for either "he".

Are the "things" "had" by the two "hes" the same type of "thing"? (I know this sentence looks weird, but I can't think of a better phrasing)

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I assume from your answer that neither option I suggested is exactly correct for either "he". Not quite

Are the "things" "had" by the two "hes" the same type of "thing"? (I know this sentence looks weird, but I can't think of a better phrasing)Good enough for me to understand. Yes.
Alaindrea (Alaindrea)
Username: Alaindrea

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do the two he's have different "things"?
is one of the things a life? plan? money? food? stolen from the other? time?
Are both of the things a life? plan? money? food? stolen from the other? time?

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do the two he's have different "things"?Not in the way you're suggesting, but yes
is one of the things a life? plan? money? food? stolen from the other? time? None
Are both of the things a life? plan? money? food? stolen from the other? time?None
Sherluck_hums (Sherluck_hums)
Username: Sherluck_hums

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he1 a human? Is he2 a human? Is the item that he1 had alive? Or is it some other type of object?

Is the item that he2 had alive? Or something else?

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he1 a human? Is he2 a human?Yes to both Is the item that he1 had alive?No Or is it some other type of object?FA (False assumption)

Is the item that he2 had alive? Or something else?Same type of thing, but yes
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is he1's "thing" a dead animal of some type? And he2 had a living member of the same species of animal?

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is he1's "thing" a dead animal of some type? And he2 had a living member of the same species of animal??? Nowhere close...
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are both 'things' conceptual things?
Is (at least) one of the things living?

Are these things that they've always had?
Acquired at some specific time in their life? at an arbitrary time? gradually/ over time?

"and that is why He1 did" = "and that is why He1 had his thing"?
"and that is why He1 did" = "and that is why He1 subsequently obtained/acquired his thing"?

He1 had his before He2 did?
He2 had his before He1 did?
He1 obtained his (through choice) after seeing/experiencing/learning of He2 having his?

Did either obtain their thing through choice?
Did either have their thing thrust upon them? by another person(s)? by nature/physics/biochemistry?

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are both 'things' conceptual things?Yes
Is (at least) one of the things living? No

Are these things that they've always had? Nope
Acquired at some specific time in their life? at an arbitrary time? gradually/ over time? FA (:

"and that is why He1 did" = "and that is why He1 had his thing"?
"and that is why He1 did" = "and that is why He1 subsequently obtained/acquired his thing"? Sorry! Really bad phrasing on my part... That is why He1 pretended he didn't have it

He1 had his before He2 did?
He2 had his before He1 did? Irrelevant
He1 obtained his (through choice) after seeing/experiencing/learning of He2 having his?

Did either obtain their thing through choice?Yope
Did either have their thing thrust upon them? by another person(s)? by nature/physics/biochemistry?None
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the things something that can be bought?

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the things something that can be bought?No
Bigpurple (Bigpurple)
Username: Bigpurple

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the things had by both things identical?

Do the things serve the same function for each man?

So he1 had his and pretended that he didn't. he2 had his, and that is why he1 had his. his what? his thing? I am a little confused by the statement you made to crazypalpig on July 21 about 'bad phrasing'. Can you clear it up for me?

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the things had by both things identical?Yope- explore!

Do the things serve the same function for each man? Yes

So he1 had his and pretended that he didn't. he2 had his, and that is why he1 had his. his what? his thing? I am a little confused by the statement you made to crazypalpig on July 21 about 'bad phrasing'. Can you clear it up for me?Actually, I made the statement... to clear up, that's why He1(Let's call him... Mark) pretended to not have his
Bigpurple (Bigpurple)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the things tangible? ideas? beliefs?
Bigpurple (Bigpurple)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry... I meant to say ,"...statement you made to liquizt...."

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the things tangible?In one sense ideas?And this yope beliefs?
Bigpurple (Bigpurple)

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mark pretend not to have his because he was afraid he might offend He2? And when Mark found out that He2 had his, he felt it was okay to admit he(Mark) had it,too?

Alcohol or other drug problem?

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mark pretend not to have his because he was afraid he might offend He2? And when Mark found out that He2 had his, he felt it was okay to admit he(Mark) had it,too? Nothing at all like that

Alcohol or other drug problem?To give you a hint, it's a speech
Liquizt (Liquizt)

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, having a go at a RECAP:

Mark had a speech but pretended he didn't because He2 (Dave?) had a speech also?

---

Relevant who had a speech first?
Did they both write the speeches themselves?

Would only one of them get the chance to read their speech?
Did Mark pretend to everyone not to have his speech? or just to Dave/ to anyone relevant such that Dave did not find out?

Was Mark asked to write the speech? by Dave?
Was Dave asked to write the speech? by Mark?

Were both speeches for the same purpose? audience? about the same subject?

Or have I interpreted this wrong and the puzzle statement itself is a (paraphrasing of a) quotation from a speech?

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, having a go at a RECAP:OK

Mark had a speech but pretended he didn't because He2 (Dave?) had a speech also? Sure why not. About Dave I mean. Yes.

---

Relevant who had a speech first? Who gave it first, yes!
Did they both write the speeches themselves? Yes

Would only one of them get the chance to read their speech? No
Did Mark pretend to everyone not to have his speech?Yes or just to Dave/ to anyone relevant such that Dave did not find out?

Was Mark asked to write the speech?Which one? by Dave?
Was Dave asked to write the speech?Again, which one? by Mark?

Were both speeches for the same purpose? audience?Yes, yes. about the same subject?No, i presume, but irr

Or have I interpreted this wrong and the puzzle statement itself is a (paraphrasing of a) quotation from a speech?No it isn't keep going!
Liquizt (Liquizt)

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark gave a speech first? his own? Dave's?
Dave gave a speech first? his own? Mark's?

Was Mark asked to write his speech? Dave's? by Dave?
Was Dave asked to write his speech? Mark's? by Mark?

Both of them read a speech? were to read a speech?
Each read their own speech?
Did Mark not want to give his speech first? want to give his speech second? want to give his speech immediately after Dave? want to give his speech any time after Dave? want to give his speech last? but would have probably (or possibly) have not been able to give his speech at the time/position-in-the-order-of-speeches that he wanted if he admitted to having one/it?
Where there any other relevant speakers? silent individuals?

Did Mark at any point reveal he had a speech? iff so: was it apparent to his audience why he concealed this information? was anyone upset by the deception?

Did Mark's speech reference himself? Dave? Dave's speech?
Did Dave's speech reference himself? Mark? Mark's speech?

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark gave a speech first?No his own? Dave's?
Dave gave a speech first?Yes his own?Yes Mark's? No, but explore.

Was Mark asked to write his speech?Yes Dave's? by Dave?
Was Dave asked to write his speech?Yes Mark's? by Mark?

Both of them read a speech? were to read a speech?
Each read their own speech? Yes, but Mark didn't...
Did Mark not want to give his speech first?No want to give his speech second?Yes (I think, rephrase) want to give his speech immediately after Dave?Yes want to give his speech any time after Dave?No want to give his speech last? but would have probably (or possibly) have not been able to give his speech at the time/position-in-the-order-of-speeches that he wanted if he admitted to having one/it? Confused heavily now
Where there any other relevant speakers?Yope silent individuals? No

Did Mark at any point reveal he had a speech?No iff so: was it apparent to his audience why he concealed this information? was anyone upset by the deception? Possibly Dave

Did Mark's speech reference himself? Dave? Dave's speech?No, but what Mark made up did!
Did Dave's speech reference himself? Mark? Mark's speech?Irr
Liquizt (Liquizt)

Post Number: 545
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mark write his own speech? did he ever deliver it (even partially)?
Did Dave write his own speech?

Someone else spoke but it wasn't a speech?
Someone else gave a speech?
(Someone else = not Mark or Dave)

Did Mark give his speech from memory? apposed to reading it?
Did Mark alter/add to his speech? in light of Dave's speech?
Did Mark want to give his speech second/after Dave? because he intended to alter/add to it?

Mark never revealed he had a speech? (confused me... I'd expected this to be answered yes as surely it would become apparent that he did have one if he gave it...)
but Dave was upset by the deception?
So Dave found out accidently/by himself that Mark did have a speech?

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mark write his own speech?Yes did he ever deliver it (even partially)? For the purposes of this puzzle, no.
Did Dave write his own speech? Yes

Someone else spoke but it wasn't a speech?Yes
Someone else gave a speech? No
(Someone else = not Mark or Dave)

Did Mark give his speech from memory?No apposed to reading it?
Did Mark alter/add to his speech?Changed what he said outright in light of Dave's speech? Yes-ish
Did Mark want to give his speech second/after Dave? because he intended to alter/add to it? Neither

Mark never revealed he had a speech? (confused me... I'd expected this to be answered yes as surely it would become apparent that he did have one if he gave it...) He never gave the one he prepared
but Dave was upset by the deception? For purposes of puzzle, yes, but I don't really know
So Dave found out accidently/by himself that Mark did have a speech?He knew immediately
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recall reading a scientist (maybe Asimov?) who had a speech he gave regularly, by heart, for a particular type of event and organization. At a function, the emcee introduced him by describing how he had witnessed the scientist's fantastic speech somewhere else. In his enthusiasm, he gave away the point, the stories, and the punchlines of that "previous" speech, and the scientist was forced to improvise a new speech on the spot to avoid giving away the fact that he always used the same one.

Relevant?

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recall reading a scientist (maybe Asimov?) who had a speech he gave regularly, by heart, for a particular type of event and organization. At a function, the emcee introduced him by describing how he had witnessed the scientist's fantastic speech somewhere else. In his enthusiasm, he gave away the point, the stories, and the punchlines of that "previous" speech, and the scientist was forced to improvise a new speech on the spot to avoid giving away the fact that he always used the same one.

Relevant?Not like this at all, although there was enthusiasm at some point
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)
Username: Usmcfink

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm imagining a scenario where the speech is a proposal. He1 and He2 are in love with the same woman and both have a proposal. He2 gives his first, the other speaker who did not give a speech is the woman who says yes and that is why He1 did not give his proposal. Anything like that?

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm imagining a scenario where the speech is a proposal. He1 and He2 are in love with the same woman and both have a proposal. He2 gives his first, the other speaker who did not give a speech is the woman who says yes and that is why He1 did not give his proposal. Anything like that?No
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for clarity: The order of speaking is He2, unnamed non-speech-giver who has an utterance, He1 is silently pretending he did not have a speech because of He2's speech. Is this correct?

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for clarity: The order of speaking is He2, unnamed non-speech-giver who has an utterance, He1 is silently pretending he did not have a speechFA because of He2's speech.Not silentlyIs this correct?More or less. Kinda.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this nature of this speech political? eulogistic? informative? persuasive? a sales pitch?

Is this a famous speech or event that we are/should be aware of?

Would one expect this speech to occur at a holiday or other marked day that occurs on a regular date/day?

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this nature of this speech political? eulogistic? informative? persuasive? a sales pitch? Not this formal type of speech

Is this a famous speech or event that we are/should be aware of?No

Would one expect this speech to occur at a holiday or other marked day that occurs on a regular date/day?No
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The speech is not formal but it does require the speaker to prepare it ahead of time?

Is it fully scripted?

Is the speech given or prepared by impetus of love? jealousy? money? power? hobby? sport?

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The speech is not formal but it does require the speaker to prepare it ahead of time? Yes. Not formal as in not wearing suits, things like that

Is it fully scripted? I guess not

Is the speech given or prepared by impetus of love? jealousy? money? power? hobby? sport?Try another
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anger? war? angst? regret? strife? persecution? sorrow? glee? elation? lust? revenge? passion? euphoria?

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anger? war? angst? regret? strife? persecution? sorrow? glee? elation? lust? revenge? passion? euphoria?OK, he was asked to. There is no other reason
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to figure out what kind of speech this is...I know that someone asked him to give it, that it is not formal, and that it is not fully scripted, but that some thought must have gone in to it ahead of time. I'm getting nowhere in asking about the types of emotions that could prompt this speech or that could be associated with it, nor with asking the type of speech, so lets try this...

Is the audience of this speech 1? 2? 5? 10? 50? 100+?

Would the audience of this speech know that the speech was going to be given before it was delivered? Would the audience have come to the place of delivery for the reason of hearing this speech? Would the speaker have gone to the audience with the sole intention of giving this speech (and witnessing subsequent effects of it)?

Was the person who asked him to write it a member of the audience? A person in power over him? A person asking for the speech for reasons of charity?

Now, the outcome of the speech...

Does the audience feel happy to have heard the speech? saddened by it? driven to action? inspired? informed? challenged to make decisions? refreshed?

Ok...hopefully I can get a better idea of what kind of speech this is! Thanks for your post btw =)

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to figure out what kind of speech this is...I know that someone asked him to give it, that it is not formal, and that it is not fully scripted, but that some thought must have gone in to it ahead of time. I'm getting nowhere in asking about the types of emotions that could prompt this speech or that could be associated with it, nor with asking the type of speech, so lets try this... OK

Is the audience of this speech 1? 2? 5? 10? 50? 100+?Irr, say 50

Would the audience of this speech know that the speech was going to be given before it was delivered?No, but irrelevant Would the audience have come to the place of delivery for the reason of hearing this speech?Not sure what you mean Would the speaker have gone to the audience with the sole intention of giving this speech (and witnessing subsequent effects of it)? Yes

Was the person who asked him to write it a member of the audience? A person in power over him? A person asking for the speech for reasons of charity?Completely irrelevant

Now, the outcome of the speech... That's the next step now

Does the audience feel happy to have heard the speech? Dave's or Mark's? Dave's, yes, Mark's, FA saddened by it? driven to action? inspired? informed? challenged to make decisions? refreshed?

Ok...hopefully I can get a better idea of what kind of speech this is! Thanks for your post btw =)
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave is He1 and Mark is He2, right? Operating under that assumption...Mark actually gave his speech? I thought he pretended he didn't have one...

As for the other questions, most of with are marked irr, I'm more trying to get a feel for what type of speech this is, because as it stands this could be ranging from laying out a chores schedule amongst roommates to an inaugural (not really that drastic, but I'm trying to narrow the window). So, that said, is knowing the type of speech or the subject of the speech not going to help solve this puzzle at all?

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave is He1 and Mark is He2, right?Yes Operating under that assumption...Mark actually gave his speech?No, he pretended I thought he pretended he didn't have one...

As for the other questions, most of with are marked irr, I'm more trying to get a feel for what type of speech this is, because as it stands this could be ranging from laying out a chores schedule amongst roommates to an inaugural (not really that drastic, but I'm trying to narrow the window). So, that said, is knowing the type of speech or the subject of the speech not going to help solve this puzzle at all?No, just a dinner speech. What was said in the speech is irrelevant except for the reaction
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I'm a bit confused again, sorry...

As it stands, the original phrasing was:

He1= first He's

In a July 21 posting, you write:

"Sorry! Really bad phrasing on my part... That is why He1 pretended he didn't have it"

So, if we amend the first posting with your new wording we would have:

He1 had his, but pretended he didn't.
He2 had his, and that's why He1 pretended he didn't.

In your last post, you say He1 is Dave and He2 is Mark, so, re-expressed again:

Dave had his, but pretended he didn't.
Mark had his, and that's why Dave pretended he didn't.

But, in your last post, you also say that Mark pretended. Does this mean that no speech was actually delivered and that both men pretended not to have one? Or, pretended to give it? (I don't really know how someone pretends to give a speech...but who knows! lol)

Ok, that's the extent of my confusion. Thanks for putting up with me and my long post!

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I'm a bit confused again, sorry...

As it stands, the original phrasing was:

He1= first He's

In a July 21 posting, you write:

"Sorry! Really bad phrasing on my part... That is why He1 pretended he didn't have it"

So, if we amend the first posting with your new wording we would have:

He1 had his, but pretended he didn't.
He2 had his, and that's why He1 pretended he didn't.

In your last post, you say He1 is Dave and He2 is Mark, so, re-expressed again:

Dave had his, but pretended he didn't.
Mark had his, and that's why Dave pretended he didn't.

But, in your last post, you also say that Mark pretended. Does this mean that no speech was actually delivered and that both men pretended not to have one? Or, pretended to give it? (I don't really know how someone pretends to give a speech...but who knows! lol) Arg! really sorry! Mark gave his, Dave pretended to not have a speech with him

Ok, that's the extent of my confusion. Thanks for putting up with me and my long post!
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, last clarifying one I think...

Is it correct to say that:

Dave had a speech, but pretended that he did not.
Mark gave his speech and that is the reason why Dave pretended not to have his.

They were both asked to give a speech at a dinner by someone, and somewhere there is confusion with who is giving a speech on what or when or something?

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, last clarifying one I think...

Is it correct to say that:

Dave had a speech, but pretended that he did not.
Mark gave his speech and that is the reason why Dave pretended not to have his. Yes

They were both asked to give a speech at a dinner by someone, and somewhere there is confusion with who is giving a speech on what or when or something?No, no confusion and the host is irrelevant
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did dave not give his speech because of the nature of mark's speech? because of the topic? method of delivery? audience reaction? something environmental? physiological? psychological?

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did dave not give his speech because of the nature of mark's speech? because of the topic? method of delivery? audience reaction?YES! something environmental? physiological? psychological?
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the audience no like the speech that mark gave? did the like it a lot so he was hard to follow?

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the audience no like the speech that mark gave? did the like it a lot so he was hard to follow?Yes... I think it's close enough for a...
************ SPOILER ******************
"Republican senator from New York Chauncey M. Depew was chosen to speak after Mark Twain at a banquet. As Depew watched, Twain delivered an uproarious talk. Depew walked to the dais, waited until the laughter and applause had died down, and then cannily feigned forgetfulness. 'Mr. Toastmaster and Ladies and Gentlemen,' he announced, 'before this dinner Mark Twain and myself agreed to trade speeches. He has just delivered my speech, and I am gratified for the pleasant way you received it. I regret to say that I have lost the notes of his speech and cannot remember anything he was to say. Thank you.'"

So I even gave you a correct first name =) Sorry for the vague statement, and the quote was taken from 1,000 Unforgettable Senior Moments (of which we could only remember 246) by Tom Friedman
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha good story!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: