[Nimue] The first scrund?? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2008 » [Nimue] The first scrund?? « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 3532
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle introduces the concept of a scrund. A scrund is a ludicrous misconception someone has that does not get corrected for a long time (say, at least a year) because the subject does not arise Once the subject does arise, the ludicrousness of the misconception is immediately obvious to most people. Here's my first scrund. I went to church only once as a child, when I was about 8. Misunderstanding something in the sermon lead me to form a scrund about Christian doctrine, which made a Christian friend of mine burst out laughing when, over 2 decades later, I causally mentioned the doctrine. What was it??
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that Howard was his name? Harold?

(Love this concept, by the way!)

Is this doctrine laid out in the OT? The NT? Any of the four Gospels? Does it relate to the virgin birth? The resurrection? The ascension?

Does it apply to all Christian denominations? Or just one, such as Lutheranism?

Would it be possible for an educated adult to form such a scrund? If so, would it be less likely than for an 8-year-old child?

Did you think, on hearing that "He will judge the quick and the dead", that the slow might just get away with it?

Or, more generally, did the scrund hinge on the use of some archaic language or specifically Biblical usage?

Did you think that you could have someone's children just by "knowing" them? :-)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3535
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 10:54 pm:
Did you think that Howard was his name? Harold?

(Love this concept, by the way!) Thanks!! in later puzzles, I'll be introducing other scrunds & hope other people will do so as well

Is this doctrine laid out in the OT? noThe NT? yesAny of the four Gospels? Sorry, I don't know Does it relate to the virgin birth? noThe resurrection? no The ascension? no

Does it apply to all Christian denominations? All that I knows of, but I'm no expert. The church where I heard it was BaptistOr just one, such as Lutheranism? see [previous answer

Would it be possible for an educated adult to form such a scrund? yes If so, would it be less likely than for an 8-year-old child? yes

Did you think, on hearing that "He will judge the quick and the dead", that the slow might just get away with it? no--but I like that!!

Or, more generally, did the scrund hinge on the use of some archaic language or specifically Biblical usage? noish or yope

Did you think that you could have someone's children just by "knowing" them? :-) no
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3536
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 11:15 pm:
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 10:54 pm:
Did you think that Howard was his name? Harold? no
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like this idea too. It's like "By the dawnzer lee light," from the Star-Spangled Banner. Is skrund a real word, or your own invention?

Is the skrund specifically Xian, or could the same misunderstanding have arisen in some other context?

Any of the following relevant?

The Trinity?
The nature of G-d?
Christmas?
Easter?
Lent?
Some other holiday?
The Sabbath?
A person?
Place?
Thing?
Event?
A historical event?
An event mentioned in the Bible?
Or in the Apochrypha?
A miracle?
A parable?
Jesus?
His disciples?
Romans?
Jews?
Pagans?
A particular tribe or group (like Pharisees or Samaritans)?
Some element or procedure of worship (confession, Eucharist, etc)?

Do I have to be Xian to 'get' this?
Mimino (Mimino)
Username: Mimino

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the wording used in the sermon the reason for your misunderstanding? Was it, in particular, a quotation from the Bible? something the parson expressed in his own words?
Would it be possible to develop the same misconception when someone hears exactly the same sermon, but translated to some other language? (provided, the person understands the language)
Is a slang, or dialect phrase relevant here?
Would I need an English Bible to understand this?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3539
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 218

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:35 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
I like this idea too. It's like "By the dawnzer lee light," from the Star-Spangled Banner. Is skrund a real word, or your own invention? The latter. Not all scrunds involve getting words wrong, by the way. I'll be using some that don't in other puzzles

Is the skrund specifically Xian, or could the same misunderstanding have arisen in some other context?the latter

Any of the following relevant?

The Trinity? no
The nature of G-d? no
Christmas? no
Easter? no
Lent? no
Some other holiday? no
The Sabbath? no
A person? yesish
Place? noish
Thingnoish
Event? yes
A historical event? no
An event mentioned in the Bible? I'm not sure but I think so
Or in the Apochrypha? I'm not sure
A miracle? yes
A parable? no (I think)
Jesus? yes
His disciples? I don't think so
Romans? ditto
Jews? ditto
Pagans? unsure
A particular tribe no or group yes(like Pharisees or Samaritans)? not Pharisees or Samaritans
Some element or procedure of worship (confession, Eucharist, etc)? no

Do I have to be Xian to 'get' this? No, but you need some very basic knowledge of Christianity, which most Americans have. Your profile says you're from the Republic of Georgia, about which I know little.
Mimino (Mimino)
Username: Mimino

Post Number: 40

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:39 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the wording used in the sermon the reason for your misunderstanding? yesWas it, in particular, a quotation from the Bible? something the parson expressed in his own words? Could be either, but the problematic expression is in the Bible
Would it be possible to develop the same misconception when someone hears exactly the same sermon, but translated to some other language? It certainly would not work for all languages & I don't kinow whether itr would work for any language other than English (provided, the person understands the language)
Is a slang, or dialect phrase relevant here? no
Would I need an English Bible to understand this? no
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take it this is a personal scrund, and not one established in well-known jokes, eg 'Blessed are the cheesemakers', 'Cheeses of Nazareth', or indeed anything to do with Gladly, my cross-eyed bear?

When Jesus entered into Bethany, did you assume that he was sleeping with a girl of that name? (Or do I just have a filthy mind?)

Or ... (surely not!) you didn't think that he had healed a leopard? :-)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3540
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1359

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 7:44 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
I take it this is a personal scrund, and not one established in well-known jokes, eg 'Blessed are the cheesemakers', 'Cheeses of Nazareth', or indeed anything to do with Gladly, my cross-eyed bear? correct

When Jesus entered into Bethany, did you assume that he was sleeping with a girl of that name? no (Or do I just have a filthy mind? Well. . .)

Or ... (surely not!) you didn't think that he had healed a leopard? :-) Yes! (alas!!)

***** SPOILER ***************
When I went to church for the first time, at age 8, I heard a sermon about how Jesus had healed what I thought were "the leopards." So I thought these were men who had been turned into leopards & Jesus turned them back into men again. I had a definite mental image of leopards standing on their hind legs & holding begging bowls aloft with their front legs. The impossibility of all this didn't faze me; I figured that religious miracles weren't supposed to be things that could really happen any more than the enchantments in Grimm's fairy tales could. The funny thing about this is that I had this misconception for over 20 years, because the subject never came up. Sorry it was so easy, but please check out my new puzzle, which also involves a scrund, & PLEASE RESCUE MY TWO EARLIER PUZZLES, "Evil be thou my good" & "Wrong remark to the wrong person."
Hominid (Hominid)
Username: Hominid

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering where it all began.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: