[peter365] The Best Policy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2008 » [peter365] The Best Policy « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter recently said something which led to 4 adults making an admission that to some would be embarrassing.

Please explain
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the adults mistakenly think your daughter had said something else?
Is your daughter a child?
Are the adults related to your daughter? Do they know her?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the adults mistakenly think your daughter had said something else? no
Is your daughter a child? yes she's 4
Are the adults related to your daughter? yes know her? so yes
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she ask a question? which was awkward to answer? If so: was it answered truthfully? because they didn't want to lie to her?

Are the identities of the four adults relevant?
Are you one of the adults? [If so: may we refer to you as adult 1?]
Adult 1 = H? A? M? related to your daughter?
Adult 2 = H? A? M? related to your daughter?
Adult 3 = H? A? M? related to your daughter?
Adult 4 = H? A? M? related to your daughter?

Was the admission about something they each had done? had not done? did not know?
Liquizt (Liquizt)

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry, ignore the 'related to your daughter' question, I hadn't read the previous post properly... or better yet, could you assume in it's place i'd inserted the LTPF list of relations?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she ask a question? no which was awkward to answer? no If so: was it answered truthfully? because they didn't want to lie to her? so no to these

Are the identities of the four adults relevant? yes
Are you one of the adults? [If so: may we refer to you as adult 1?]
Adult 1 = H? A? M? related to your daughter?
Adult 2 = H? A? M? related to your daughter?
Adult 3 = H? A? M? related to your daughter?
Adult 4 = H? A? M? related to your daughter? to save you further work the 4 adults are myself my wife, and my wife's parents

Was the admission about something they each had done? {yes} had not done? so no did not know? no

sorry, ignore the 'related to your daughter' question, I hadn't read the previous post properly... or better yet, could you assume in it's place i'd inserted the LTPF list of relations? LOL . As you can see from above i knew you were going to insert the list of relatives
Liquizt (Liquizt)

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be correct (or closest match) to say the thing done was an activity? set of activities? a repeated activity? event? request? work? pastime? occurrence? recreation? [ can't think of many more but I imagine there are some (: ]

Would most people have done this thing?
Is it something that would be done once? twice? indefinite amount of multiple times?
Is it something that would be done (usually) when very young (0-6)? young (7-12)? as a teenager (13-19)? as an adult (18+, I recognise the overlap)? at any age?
Would most people find the admission embarrassing?

Were each of you embarrassed by the admission on this occassion?
Did you all admit to the thing together in the same place?
Were you embarressed because you were admitting this to a very young relation? very young person? in the presence of other adults? in the presence of other adults with family ties? in the presence of other adults to a very young person?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be correct (or closest match) to say the thing done was an activity? set of activities? a repeated activity? event? request? work? pastime? occurrence? recreation? [ can't think of many more but I imagine there are some (: ] i'm sure there must be as this doesn't really fit into any of the above. Suffice to say it's an action that may have been done on many occasions

Would most people have done this thing? i'm guessing yes and will be interested to hear who'll admit to it when the puzzle is solved
Is it something that would be done once? twice? indefinite amount of multiple times? this
Is it something that would be done (usually) when very young (0-6)? young (7-12)? as a teenager (13-19)? as an adult (18+, I recognise the overlap)? at any age? this
Would most people find the admission embarrassing? hmm i'd say most people would not be too embarrassed but hard to say

Were each of you embarrassed by the admission on this occassion? no
Did you all admit to the thing together in the same place? yes
Were you embarressed because you were admitting this to a very young relation? very young person? in the presence of other adults? in the presence of other adults with family ties? in the presence of other adults to a very young person? i suppose you could be embarrassed admitting this in front of any audiance
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is popular music relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is popular music relevant? very much so but not in this puzzle :o)
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the admission would be embarrassing because:

it would make them seem old-fashioned?
it would make them seem nerdy/"sad"?
it would reveal that they were ignorant of something?
it would reveal some hypocrisy or double standards?
it would expose some sort of peccadillo?
it would expose a scrund (such as a lifelong belief that a peccadillo was a cross between a peccary and an armadillo)?

Are men more likely than women to perform this action? Are Europeans more likely to perform the action than Africans? Than Asians? Than Americans?
Is a 30-year old more likely to do it than a 14-year-old? Than a 76-year-old?

Does the action take a finite time to complete (such as sneezing in a theatre), or is it an ongoing thing, such as owning a Dick Francis novel or a piece of Jamie Oliver merchandise?

Can one perform the action alone? In a group? Out of doors? Would one be more likely to perform the action if one's father was a controversial political figure of the 1930s? And does it hurt?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the admission would be embarrassing because:

it would make them seem old-fashioned? no
it would make them seem nerdy/"sad"? no
it would reveal that they were ignorant of something? no
it would reveal some hypocrisy or double standards? no
it would expose some sort of peccadillo? yesish
it would expose a scrund (such as a lifelong belief that a peccadillo was a cross between a peccary and an armadillo)? no LOL

Are men more likely than women to perform this action? i would have thought so but apparently not Are Europeans more likely to perform the action than Africans? Than Asians? Than Americans? no..i think
Is a 30-year old more likely to do it than a 14-year-old? Than a 76-year-old? age is irrelevant

Does the action take a finite time to complete (such as sneezing in a theatre), or is it an ongoing thing, such as owning a Dick Francis novel or a piece of Jamie Oliver merchandise? yes it takes a finite amount of time and yes i do own a Dick Francis novel

Can one perform the action alone? most definately In a group? most definately not Out of doors? yes this can only occur outdoors Would one be more likely to perform the action if one's father was a controversial political figure of the 1930s? no And does it hurt? no in fact a certain pleasure can be derived
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peeing in the sea?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peeing in the sea? you're now bookie's favourite to win Lateral Leap of the year. How on earth did you get that?

**************spoiler***********

While on holiday in france recently we were enjoying a nice day at the beach. We had already been in for a swim. About an hour after our swim my 4 year old daughter Trina asked "Can we go in for another swim 'cos i need to go wee wee" My wife acted as if she was horrified but I just laughed and admitted immediately to having committed this "offence". My wife's father also admitted it without a trace of embarassment but my wife and her mother stalled a bit before coming clean.

Doesn't everyone do this?

Superb job Woodworm
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hehe, excellent. That was a lucky guess. The 'out of doors' bit was the clue, but it was the only think I could think of (U-rated, anyway) that fit the bill :-)
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can one perform the action alone? most definately In a group? most definately not

While it certainly would be seen as more polite to distance oneself from other swimmers while doing this, I'm sure there are also people who have not observed this "rule", particularly with knowing friends.

And yes, I think almost everyone has "committed this offense" at some time. I certainly have--it is easier than having to find a restroom and hurts nobody.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: