[Nimue] Scrund #2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2008 » [Nimue] Scrund #2 « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 3541
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nyssa considered Cooper a ruthless person, but I thought she considered him very humane. How come??
Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 770
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a word that actually means "ruthless" but which you thought meant "humane"? Did Nyssa say this word in reference to Cooper?

Did you confuse two words that sounded similar (like in your previous scrund?) Or did you misread a word that was written down? Are there two relevant words that sound the same or are spelled the same way but have different meanings?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 770

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 10:43 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is there a word that actually means "ruthless" but which you thought meant "humane"?yope Did Nyssa say this word in reference to Cooper?yes

Did you confuse two words that sounded similar (like in your previous scrund? no, although that wasn't quite what happened in my previous scrund, as I didn't know the word 'leper' at all when I was 8) Or did you misread a word that was written down? no Are there two relevant words that sound the same or are spelled the same way but have different meanings? no
Mimino (Mimino)
Username: Mimino

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is one specific word relevant? or a phrase?
Did you mishear a word or phrase (= you thought a different word was said)? or, rather, heard it correctly but had a different understanding of what the word means?
Did you hear this word or phrase when it was said by Nyssa? Did you read it? Did someone (or Nyssa herself) mention this to you some time later?

Did you develop the misconception immediately when you heard or read this word?
or did you not understand it at all in the beginning and looked it up in a dictionary? or asked somebody? found something out about this word? heard it in some other context? (in the news, maybe?)

Does Nyssa's opinion about Cooper relate to some particular action of Cooper? Is it, basically, that you considered this action humane, and Nyssa not?

Is an ancient meaning of the word or phrase relevant? One of Malory's early writings?

Was it the word "ruthless" itself that you got wrong? The name "Ruth" (or its meaning) relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it too simple to ask whether you thought a synonym for Ruthless meant Humane?

Is the word merciful or merciless relevant? Or any word with Mercy as it's stem?

p.s. Well done for introducing the Scrund. Great concept and I've got stacks of them.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3549
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

egistered: 6-2005

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:07 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is one specific word relevant? no or a phrase? yes
Did you mishear a word or phrase (= you thought a different word was said)? no or, rather, heard it correctly but had a different understanding of what the word means? yes, but it was a phrase rather than a word
Did you hear this word or phrase when it was said by Nyssa? irrel Did you read it? iirel Did someone (or Nyssa herself) mention this to you some time later? irrel

Did you develop the misconception immediately when you heard or read this word? yes, but it's a phrase (see above)
or did you not understand it at all in the beginning and looked it up in a dictionary? no or asked somebody? nofound something out about this word? irrel heard it in some other context? (in the news, maybe?) irrel

Does Nyssa's opinion about Cooper relate to some particular action of Cooper? irrelIs it, basically, that you considered this action humane, and Nyssa not? no

Is an ancient meaning of the word or phrase relevant? no One of Malory's early writings? no

Was it the word "ruthless" itself that you got wrong? no The name "Ruth" (or its meaning) relevant? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1279

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it too simple to ask whether you thought a synonym for Ruthless meant Humane? It's not too simple, but it's not the solution

Is the word merciful or merciless relevant? no Or any word with Mercy as it's stem? no

p.s. Well done for introducing the Scrund. Great concept Thanks!! and I've got stacks of themMost people do; that's why it's a useful concept (I hope), esp. for this forum
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nyssa said something about Cooper, meaning to disparage him? Or simply state a fact which demonstrated his ruthlessness? A fact which you misinterpreted?

By humane, perhaps do you mean generous? And by ruthless do you mean not generous at all, or perhaps taking something rather than giving it?

Is Cooper's profession relevant?

For example, perhaps she said he saved every penny, and whereas she meant that he would never give any to charity because it would impact his bottom line, you thought he was saving said pennies to give to charity. I'm stumbling over what I'm trying to say here, but hopefully you get the drift.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3552
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 231

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:07 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Nyssa said something about Cooper, meaning to disparage him? possibly Or simply state a fact which demonstrated his ruthlessness? possibly A fact which you misinterpreted? see above--she used a phrase I misinterpreted as ascribing humaness rather than ruthlessness

By humane, perhaps do you mean generous? possibly. The specifics of Cooper's humaneness or ruthlessness are not really relevant. The point is that I misunderstood a common phrase (& retained this misunderstanding for several years because the opportunity for correction just didn't arise) And by ruthless do you mean not generous at all, or perhaps taking something rather than giving it?see previous answer

Is Cooper's profession relevant? no

For example, perhaps she said he saved every penny, and whereas she meant that he would never give any to charity because it would impact his bottom line, you thought he was saving said pennies to give to charity. I'm stumbling over what I'm trying to say here, but hopefully you get the drift.I get your drift, but this is not the solution
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you confuse the expression heart of gold with heart of stone?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3559
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1289

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:00 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Did you confuse the expression heart of gold with heart of stone? no
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: it's a 3-word phrase.
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the phrase connected with corporal punishment? Hawkish political tendencies? Cruelty to animals? Financial shrewdness? Is it a metaphorical phrase? Does it contain the word 'mercy'? Does the phrase contain the word "no"? The phrase is in English, yes?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1375

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 8:24 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the phrase connected with corporal punishment? no Hawkish political tendencies? It could be used in this cointext but could be used in other context, too Cruelty to animals? unlikely but possible Financial shrewdness? possibly Is it a metaphorical phrase? yes Does it contain the word 'mercy'? no Does the phrase contain the word "no"? yesThe phrase is in English, yes? yes
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he "take no prisoners"?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1377

Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:56 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does he "take no prisoners"? YES!!

****************SPOILER ****************
For a long toime, I thought that when someone had a "take no prisoners" attitude, he was so gentle trhat he doidn't want to imprison anyone!! Actually, of course, the expression means he kills all potential prisioners. Did any of you have this scrund?? Sorry it was so easy, & please focus your lateral skills to my new & I hope harder puzzle at the bottom of the page.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: