[Tsoram1970] When in Scrundland... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2008 » [Tsoram1970] When in Scrundland... « Previous Next »

Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taking Nimue's idea of a scrund and running with it!

It was lucky that when John explained why he had asked his question there was no traffic around... or else Janet might have crashed the car, she was laughing so much- but then so was I!

Names have been changed to protect the guilty!
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fact that this question was asked in a car relevant?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fact that this question was asked in a car relevant?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd:

Is the fact that this question was asked in a car relevant?not as such...but location is
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the question about something visible out the window where you were driving?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd:

Was the question about something visible out the window where you were driving?No
Ostap (Ostap)
Username: Ostap

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that there was no traffic around?
Were you in some lonely place?
Out in the country?
Or in the city at night?
Relevant that John explained why he asked the question? Was the question something you would not have expected in this situation? Was it hard to answer? Was John not satisfied with the answer?
Did you understand the question in some other way than John when he asked it?
Was John's question answered (before he explained why he asked it)?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mention of a car and lack of traffic just to give us a sense of how hard Janet laughed and therefore has no further relevance (e.g. could the title have read it's lucky Janet was tightrope walking or she would have fallen off)?

Did John ask what sounded like a reasonable question and that the humour is solely in why he asked it?

Was the question about a person? an occupation? an animal? an inanimate object? Something found indoors or out? A building? A sign? something he heard on the radio? a song? a movie ? a book?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ostap:

Relevant that there was no traffic around? not really
Were you in some lonely place?yes
Out in the country? Yes
Or in the city at night? No
Relevant that John explained why he asked the question?relevant that he had to Was the question something you would not have expected in this situation?I'm sure this subject is raised quite frequently in this kind of situation... but the scrund much less so Was it hard to answer?aren't all scrunds by definition? Was John not satisfied with the answer? he was satisfied by the scrund being explained to him...his original question was not answered due to this.
Did you understand the question in some other way than John when he asked it? No
Was John's question answered (before he explained why he asked it)?No

Peter365:

Is the mention of a car and lack of traffic just to give us a sense of how hard Janet laughed and therefore has no further relevance (e.g. could the title have read it's lucky Janet was tightrope walking or she would have fallen off)?Yope- it is how the situation actually happened... and while the converation could have happened anywhere it was much more likely in the context of a car journey in that location

Did John ask what sounded like a reasonable question and that the humour is solely in why he asked it? hard to answer... the whole basis of the question was faulty and came from a scrund... so like Nimue and her leopards...

Was the question about a person?Yes an occupation?No an animal?No an inanimate object?No Something found indoors or out?No A building?no A sign?No something he heard on the radio?No a song?Yes a movie ?no a book?no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is his scrund a misheard lyric? Had the song any relevance to where you were in the car? Would it help to pinpoint your exact location? Was it in Norn Iron? Is a famous singer relevant?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365:

So is his scrund a misheard lyric?Yes Had the song any relevance to where you were in the car?Yessish Would it help to pinpoint your exact location?Yes Was it in Norn Iron?no Is a famous singer relevant?No
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were both the correct and incorrect lyrics related to where you were at the moment? or did John incorrectly hear the lyric as pertaining to the location?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were both the correct and incorrect lyrics related to where you were at the moment?Yes or did John incorrectly hear the lyric as pertaining to the location?No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So were you abroad at the time? US? Europe? Australia? somewhere else?

Is this a common misheard lyric or one that you've only heard John mention? Does the song mention cars? driving? or is a song that's popular on drive type compilations?

Is the song by a band? male solo? female solo?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So were you abroad at the time?hmm... define abroad... not at home in Norn Iron anyway! US?No Europe?Yes Australia?no somewhere else?no

Is this a common misheard lyric or one that you've only heard John mention?I have to say that I have only heard this one from John... it would not surprise me if it is a wider known mondegreen... but not a standard one Does the song mention cars? driving? or is a song that's popular on drive type compilations?no to all

Is the song by a band? male solo? female solo?I have heard all three sing it...and so had John.Probably most usually done as a male solo.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So were you in the Republic of Ireland then? Is it a sopng of Irish origination? or associated with a famous Irish Singer.? If not the republic were in England Scotland or Wales?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So were you in the Republic of Ireland then?No Is it a sopng of Irish origination?No or associated with a famous Irish Singer.?No If not the republic were in England Scotland or Wales?Scotland is the one!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So has the song a scottish theme? Loch Lomond? Flower of Scotland? Robbie Burns relevant at all? Or more modern music?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So has the song a scottish theme?Och Aye! Loch Lomond?no Flower of Scotland?No Robbie Burns relevant at all?Yes Or more modern music?no... Burns is on the mark!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Auld Lang Syne? I had a friend who thought the words were Old Lands Sign ... something along these lynes (sic)?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Auld Lang Syne?No I had a friend who thought the words were Old Lands Sign ... something along these lynes (sic)?Similar... but not this! and more humourous!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is the misheard lyric in the chorus or one of the verses? Is "cup of kindness yet" relevant. I haven't checked the lyrics but isn't a pint mentioned in one of the verses? Is his scrund related to drinking?
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Burns wrote a considerable number of songs (although they did not include Auld Lang Syne, at least not entirely). I suspect that it would not be entirely in the spirit of the puzzle to resort to the LTPF List of Burns Songs, so I will ask about some of the more popular ones: Scots Wha Hae? (the last two words of which mean simply "who have" [with Wallace bled] and are not a rousing cheer).
My love's like a red red rose? Comin' thro' the rye? Charlie is my darlin'?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry thought you said yes to Auld Lang Syne my mistake.
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The household cleaning appliance jingle: "Ewbanks and braes o' bonnie Doon?"

Or the Mexican drinking song: "Gringo the rushes, O? "
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in Scotland at the time? Edinburgh? Glasgow? Burns' home or birthplace?

Is the song "A Man's A Man" aka "Is there for honest poverty?"
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365:

So is the misheard lyric in the chorus or one of the verses?in a verse. Is "cup of kindness yet" relevant. I haven't checked the lyrics but isn't a pint mentioned in one of the verses?FA ..as you know! Is his scrund related to drinking?No

Woubit:

Burns wrote a considerable number of songs (although they did not include Auld Lang Syne, at least not entirely). I suspect that it would not be entirely in the spirit of the puzzle to resort to the LTPF List of Burns Songs, so I will ask about some of the more popular ones: Scots Wha Hae? (the last two words of which mean simply "who have" [with Wallace bled] and are not a rousing cheer). I agree about the list...they have their place and sometimes it is not right to do it...However you don't have to. Scots Wha Hae it is!
My love's like a red red rose? Comin' thro' the rye? Charlie is my darlin'?already answered!

Peter365:

Sorry thought you said yes to Auld Lang Syne my mistake.Think nothing of it kind sir! Your interest in this poor puzzle is enough to forgive any such error!

Woodworm:

The household cleaning appliance jingle: "Ewbanks and braes o' bonnie Doon?"

Or the Mexican drinking song: "Gringo the rushes, O? "Neither I am happy to say.

jenburdoo: Were you in Scotland at the time?Yes Edinburgh?No Glasgow?No Burns' home or birthplace?No..since it will come out with very little questioning and has only marginal relevance now we had just passed Stirling heading north.The location was mainly relevant in identifying the song...which you have now done.

Is the song "A Man's A Man" aka "Is there for honest poverty?"see answer to Woubit!
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, for the benefit of those who are unfamiliar with Burns's imaginary address by Robert the Bruce to the Scottish troops before the battle of Bannockburn, here are the words to "Scots wha hae'

Scots wha hae wi' Wallace bled,
Scots wham Bruce has often led,
Welcome to your gory bed
Or to victory!

Now's the day and now's the hour,
See the front o' battle lour,
See approach proud Edward's power,
Chains and slavery!

Wha will be a traitor knave?
Wha can fill a coward's grave?
Wha sae base as be a slave?
Let him turn and flee!

Wha for Scotland's king and law
Freedom's sword will strongly draw,
Freeman stand, or freeman fa',
Let him follow me!

By oppression's woes and pains,
By your sons in servile chains,
We will drain our dearest veins
But they shall be free!

Not having followed this puzzle too closely, I am not sure whether these will assist, but it's a fine song anyway.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, for the benefit of those who are unfamiliar with Burns's imaginary address by Robert the Bruce to the Scottish troops before the battle of Bannockburn, here are the words to "Scots wha hae'

[Words clipped]

Not having followed this puzzle too closely, I am not sure whether these will assist, but it's a fine song anyway.thanks for that Woubit... and I agree it is a fine song.
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the misheard lyric occur in:
First verse? Second? Third? Fourth?
First line of a verse? Second? Third? Fourth?

I'm sure there are many more creative lines of attack than this - feel free to ignore them questions if you feel it is not in the spirit of the puzzle (they weren't very lateral). :P

Were you in Scotland at the time?
Was John's question about something you'd done/seen? were doing/seeing? were going to do/see? John wanted to do/see? Historical/ song-referenced/ misheard-lyric-referenced place? person? object?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liquizt:

Does the misheard lyric occur in:
First verse?Yes Second? Third? Fourth?
First line of a verse?Yes Second? Third? Fourth?

I'm sure there are many more creative lines of attack than this - feel free to ignore them questions if you feel it is not in the spirit of the puzzle (they weren't very lateral). :P on the other hand it is sometimes essential to narrow down the options both looking outside the box.

Were you in Scotland at the time? Yes- we had just passed Stirling
Was John's question about something you'd done/seen?no were doing/seeing?no were going to do/see?No John wanted to do/see?No Historical/ song-referenced/ misheard-lyric-referenced place?No person?Yes object?no
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is John's age relevant? Any sort of animated film relevant?

Oh, and Howdy-do, Tom.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bodo:

Is John's age relevant?no Any sort of animated film relevant?Not that I know of!

Oh, and Howdy-do, Tom. Howdy!
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the notion that John had misunderstood the meaning of "Scots wha hae" (perhaps along the lines I have alluded to earlier)? Or that he had misidentified Wallace? Is it relevant that Wallace's comrade-in-arms, Andrew Moray (or Murray) was involved in the original mondegreen?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the notion that John had misunderstood the meaning of "Scots wha hae" (perhaps along the lines I have alluded to earlier)?That is part of it (but not along the lines of a rousing cheer!)...something else as well though! Or that he had misidentified Wallace?No he knew it was about Wallace Is it relevant that Wallace's comrade-in-arms, Andrew Moray (or Murray) was involved in the original mondegreen?They have slain the Earl of Moray and Lady Mondegreen! No!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is a silly guess but here goes.

Given that wi' is pronounced like Wee Did he think that Wallace was only a little bloke? and made some comment on how such a little guy could carry such a big sword?

Has his misunderstadning got anything to do with the Braveheart film (which my brother was an extra in he played a kilted warrior in the first battle scene. He had very long hair at the time and leapt at the chance of being paid to fight the sassanachs}
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is a silly guess but here goes. not that silly!

Given that wi' is pronounced like Wee Did he think that Wallace was only a little bloke?Yes! and made some comment on how such a little guy could carry such a big sword?no. "Was Wallace really so wee and..." was that part of the comment

Has his misunderstadning got anything to do with the Braveheart film (which my brother was an extra in he played a kilted warrior in the first battle scene. He had very long hair at the time and leapt at the chance of being paid to fight the sassanachs}no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok so continuing the silly guess theme. Did John think someone or something is named after Wee William e.g. Wee Willie Winkie?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok so continuing the silly guess theme. Did John think someone or something is named after Wee William e.g. Wee Willie Winkie?Well that silly guess didn't work! stay with the song...
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This should be really obvious now, but it isn't. Me stoopid.

There must be some homophonic play going on before "wi' Wallace bled", yes? Is 'Scots' still heard as 'Scots' in the mondegrenious version?

Is "wha" misheard as "what"? "Who are"? "Were"? "Wear"? "Where"?

Scots, where gay wee Wallace bled?
Scots were high where Wallace bled?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the notion that wee Wallace had been subjected by a group of Scottish doctors to the practice known as "bleeding"? Or that Wallace had himself bled, perhaps from various wounds incurred while fighting the Sassenachs?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the notion that wee Wallace had been subjected by a group of Scottish doctors to the practice known as "bleeding"? Or that Wallace had himself bled, perhaps from various wounds incurred while fighting the Sassenachs?ach, nah.. that's not the case at all!
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woodworm:

This should be really obvious now, but it isn't. Me stoopid. You might say that I could not possibly comment! <whistles> Sorry I missed your questions BTW!

There must be some homophonic play going on before "wi' Wallace bled", yes?Yes Is 'Scots' still heard as 'Scots' in the mondegrenious version? Yes

Is "wha" misheard as "what"? "Who are"? "Were"? "Wear"? "Where"?wha is misheard... but not as any of these!

Scots, where gay wee Wallace bled? no
Scots were high where Wallace bled?no

There is also an FA happening!
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grrr! Ok, so we've established that there's a comical mishearing of the line 'Scots wha hae wi' Wallace bled', and we know that 'Scots' and 'Wallace' stay the same, yes?

And also that 'wi' is misheard as 'wee' (in the sense of small)?

Scots wear hay? Wally's bed?

Does the FA concern the 'bled' part? Is this misheard, too?

Is this one line sufficient to solve the puzzle? Would the line still be amusing if we had no idea who Wallace was? Or indeed, who Burns was?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grrr! Ok, so we've established that there's a comical mishearing of the line 'Scots wha hae wi' Wallace bled', and we know that 'Scots' and 'Wallace' stay the same, yes? Yes

And also that 'wi' is misheard as 'wee' (in the sense of small)? Yes

Scots wear hay? Wally's bed?Neither

Does the FA concern the 'bled' part?Ues...you cannot leave this untouched! Is this misheard, too? Yes it is!

Is this one line sufficient to solve the puzzle?Yes Would the line still be amusing if we had no idea who Wallace was?funnier if you do... Or indeed, who Burns was?Burns is not relevant to the mishearing - he just happened to be the writer of the song
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Scot's we hate wee wallace's blood (or wee wallace bad)."

John's comment . "Was Wallace really that small and why did the scottish hate him? Wasn't he one of their own?"
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Scot's we hate wee wallace's blood (or wee wallace bad)."Neither

John's comment . "Was Wallace really that small and why did the scottish hate him? Wasn't he one of their own?"Nope
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you close to the Wallace monument? relevant?
Was 'bled' misheard as 'blood'? 'blade'? 'played'? 'paid'? 'plaid'?
Any fact about Wallace relevant for this mishearing? when he lived? what he did? how he was captured? how he died? where he died?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was "wha" misheard as "Where?" Did he ask, "Is THIS where Wallace did his bleeding?"

Pity I didn't keep a closer eye on this one -- I love folk music!

Was "bled" misheard as "sped"?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sundowner:

Were you close to the Wallace monument? relevant? not sure at this remove and not relevant
Was 'bled' misheard as 'blood'? 'blade'? 'played'? 'paid'? 'plaid'?None of these!
Any fact about Wallace relevant for this mishearing?No when he lived? what he did? how he was captured? how he died? where he died?no to all- except perhaps in John portraying a certain ignorance of the details

Jenburdoo:

Was "wha" misheard as "Where?"No Did he ask, "Is THIS where Wallace did his bleeding?" No

Pity I didn't keep a closer eye on this one -- I love folk music!

Was "bled" misheard as "sped"?No... but closer than the rest of the answers given already!
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'led'? (or, maybe 'laid'?)
Did John's comment give the impression that Wallace was a little boy (a young prince, maybe?) who was led by the others?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sundowner:

'led'?close...soundwise (or, maybe 'laid'?)no
Did John's comment give the impression that Wallace was a little boy (a young prince, maybe?) who was led by the others?No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wee Wallace's Bed?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Bed was already guessed...

"Scots with Hay wee Wallace Fed"

John's question... "Did they really eat hay?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wee Wallace's Bed? No

Sorry Bed was already guessed... that's OK we all do it occasionally

"Scots with Hay wee Wallace Fed" no, but I like it!

John's question... "Did they really eat hay? I don't think you'll be surprised to see the answer no!

So far Bled and Led are the closest answers...
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lead? let? bet?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lead? let? bet?No... Bled and led are still closest (I'm not talking meaning!)
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe "Scots, where has wee Wallace fled?". Maybe John thought Wallace was little and therefore could run and hide somewhere? Or maybe something to do with a sled?

Those are the only other "led" words I can think of.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe "Scots, where has wee Wallace fled?". Maybe John thought Wallace was little and therefore could run and hide somewhere? Or maybe something to do with a sled? "...has wee Wallace fled" I think there is now only one possible word that has not already been ruled out for "wha"! Anyone want to paint the picture that John verbally did for us in the car? once wha is got I'll spoil...

Those are the only other "led" words I can think of.That's OK...you got it!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This feels like it should be blatently obvious but it aint.

Scots Where has wee Wallace fled?

Scots away wee Wallace fled?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This feels like it should be blatently obvious but it aint. from my POV it is! I keep checking back to se if I have somehow missed someone suggesting... but no I haen't!

Scots Where has wee Wallace fled? Not Where... we establihed that a while back

Scots away wee Wallace fled?Nope

To help... Woodworm asked earlier and I answered:

Is "wha" misheard as "what"? "Who are"? "Were"? "Wear"? "Where"? wha is misheard... but not as any of these!

Now what obvious question word did he miss out?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why?

Scots why has wee Wallace fled?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why? YES!!!!!!

Scots why has wee Wallace fled? Indeed!

****************SPOILER*****************

John and Janet(our driver) et al were travelling through Scotland, and had just passed Stirling; a place ever associated with that Scottish Hero Sir William Wallace- who features in the first line of Burns immortal "Scots Wha Hae". Unfortunately John had persistently misheard the first line for years without challenging it - as "Scots, why has Wee Wallace fled?"

When he asked Janet (a history graduate) "was Wallace really so wee and what was he fleeing from" she was initially bamboozled. When he explained the picture in his mind of a vertically challenged kilted scotsman with hairy legs belting it across the heather, she (and the rest of us) started to laugh so hard that if there had been traffic about there would have been a high risk of an accident.

Well done to all who took part!

Now who'll join me in a chorus of Scots, Why has wee wallace fled? ???
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great puzzle.

No need for me to join you in a chorus i've been singing the bloody thing all week trying different mondegreens. I was getting some pretty funny looks at work when rehearsing my "Scots with Hay wee Wallace fed" line.

The answer was simpler than i had imagined.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: