[Nimue] Only a Chinese-American Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2008 » [Nimue] Only a Chinese-American « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 3614
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only a Chinese- American could make a certain joke. If anyone else made it, it would make no sense. How come??
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ABC? American-Born Chinese?

If not, could the ABC (going to call it that instead of Chinese-American) only tel it because of the punchline? Was it a joke about himself/herself?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3617
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 2093

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:55 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
ABC?The joke does not involve the phrase 'ABC' American-Born Chinese? The joke works a little better if the maker (call him ''Lloyd Wong') was born in China, but it could also work if he was born in the USA

If not, could the ABC (going to call it that instead of Chinese-American) only tel it because of the punchline? yes Was it a joke about himself/herself? yes
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that last puzzle of yours has taught me to always ask whether other people are involved, so:

Are other people besides Wong relevant to the joke (other than the listeners)? For example, is it about his friends, family, a group? Is the specific subject of the joke relevant? An in-joke of any sort?

Is the joke told in Chinese? English? Is a knowledge of either or both languages required (for example, a pun)? Is the joke translatable?

Do we need to work out what the joke itself is? If so, is it:

Dirty?
Ethnic?
True story?
A riddle?

Assuming it is told by Wong, would the joke be comprehensible:

Only to his friends or family?
Only to other Chinese-Americans?
To any Americans?
To citizens of a different country?

Would it be offensive to any of the above?

Is the joke about Chinese-Americans? China? America? Both? Does it take the form of a story told by a Chinese-American? Does it focus on Chinese-American culture? Or culture shock?

I am reminded of the following joke I read in an Isaac Asimov book:

Bob's jokes always use the names Cohen and Levy. When someone objects, he changes the names to Chinese, and the joke starts, "Chow Yun Fat and Yao Ming were going to Chow Yun Fat's nephew's Bar Mitzvah..."

Is the joke in any way similar? For example, does it start "When I was growing up in Beijing..."
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3620
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 263

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Well, that last puzzle of yours has taught me to always ask whether other people are involved Good idea!!, so:

Are other people besides Wong relevant to the joke (other than the listeners)? yes For example, is it about his friends{no}, family, no a group yesish? Is the specific subject of the joke relevant yes? An in-joke of any sortyope?

Is the joke told in Chinese?probably but not necessarily not English?probably but not necessarily Is a knowledge of either or both languages required (for example, a pun)? no Is the joke translatable? yes

Do we need to work out what the joke itself is? yesIf so, is it:

Dirty? no
Ethnic? no
True story? no
A riddle? no

Assuming it is told by Wong, would the joke be comprehensible:

Only to his friends or family? no
Only to other Chinese-Americans? no
To any Americans? To many, certainly
To citizens of a different country? possibly

Would it be offensive to any of the above? No--there's virtually no way this joke could offend anyone

Is the joke about Chinese-Americans? noish China? yope America? yope Both? yesish Does it take the form of a story told by a Chinese-American?yope or noish Does it focus on Chinese-American culture? no Or culture shock? no

I am reminded of the following joke I read in an Isaac Asimov book:

Bob's jokes always use the names Cohen and Levy. When someone objects, he changes the names to Chinese, and the joke starts, "Chow Yun Fat and Yao Ming were going to Chow Yun Fat's nephew's Bar Mitzvah..." Nothing like that

Is the joke in any way similar? no For example, does it start "When I was growing up in Beijing..." no
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the joke about people? Animals? Technology? History?

Is it brief, or in story form?

Are the listeners relevant? For example, are they Wong's coworkers?

Could the joke be changed to fit a different culture (as in the Isaac Asimov joke above)? If so, could it then be told comprehensibly by a non-Chinese-American?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3630
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:29 pm:
Is the joke about people? Animals? Technology? History?

Is it brief, or in story form? the former

Are the listeners relevant? yes For example, are they Wong's coworkers? very unlikely

Could the joke be changed to fit a different culture (as in the Isaac Asimov joke above)? noIf so, could it then be told comprehensibly by a non-Chinese-American? no
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has to be a Chinese-American because only such a person could appreciate the cultural differences? Are any of the following relevant about either country: Style of government? Population? Work habits? Trade balance? Cultural influences? Economic system? General affluence (or lack thereof) of the population?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2434

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:53 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
It has to be a Chinese-American because only such a person could appreciate the cultural differences? no Are any of the following relevant about either country: Style of government no? Population? no Work habits? noTrade balance? noCultural influences? no Economic system? noGeneral affluence (or lack thereof) of the population? no
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3661
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: The previous round of questions tells you many things that are NOT relevant. Think about what's left!
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3662
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: The previous round of questions tells you many things that are NOT relevant. Think about what's left!
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 468
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the phrase "Made in China" relevant?

Food relevant?
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is something about one or both countries? of relevance? Iff so: china? america? both? Iff both: the same thing, different things?

Is the joke teller-referential?

Would it work if he was a half chinese, half american, living in australia?

I think Noobdogg may have hit on it with the "Made in China" :P - which I think fits perfectly with all the previous answers.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3667
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 468

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 6:46 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the phrase "Made in China" relevant? no

Food relevant? no
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 323

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 4:34 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
There is something about one or both countries? yes of relevance? yesIff so: china? yes america? yes both? yes Iff both: the same thing, different things? same

Is the joke teller-referential?yes

Would it work if he was a half chinese, half american, living in australia? no

I think Noobdogg may have hit on it with the "Made in China" He didn't!!!! :P - which I think fits perfectly with all the previous answers.How would such a joke be about America?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with notion that if you dug down deep enough in America you would end up in China?

Any accent or way of speaking relevant? Flied Lice or that sort of thing?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

China as in porcelain relevant?

Towns / communities in the US named China relevant (eg. China, Maine or China, Texas)

Is a stereotype about Chinese people relevant?

Sorry if these attempts seem inane / cliche, hope I come up with something more soon.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3672
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1375

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:08 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Anything to do with notion that if you dug down deep enough in America you would end up in China? yes

Any accent or way of speaking relevant? no Flied Lice or that sort of thing? no
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 492

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:47 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
China as in porcelain relevant? no

Towns / communities in the US named China relevant (eg. China, Maine or China, Texas) no

Is a stereotype about Chinese people relevant? no

Sorry if these attempts seem inane / cliche, hope I come up with something more soon.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm not sure how to proceed

Was the joke of the "I say I say I say what do you call a...." variety or was it more of a witty remark in reaction to a particular situation.

Is actual phsical digging relevant to the solution? or is it digging as in getting to the crux of a topic (as i'm trying to do with this puzzle)

Did someone say if you dig deep enough you'll find the solution and Wong said If i dig deep enough i'll get home.

Is the expression digging your own grave relevant?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3682
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1392

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 3:48 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Hmm not sure how to proceed

Was the joke of the "I say I say I say what do you call a...." variety or was it more of a witty remark in reaction to a particular situation. the latter

Is actual phsical digging relevant to the solution? or is it digging as in getting to the crux of a topic (as i'm trying to do with this puzzle) the former

Did someone say if you dig deep enough you'll find the solution no and Wong said If i dig deep enough i'll get home.You're very ORT (on the right track)

Is the expression digging your own grave relevant? no

Actually, you're close enough for me to declare a
*********** SPOILER ******************

One day Lucretia Jones sees her neighbor, Lloyd Wong, digging a deep hole in his garden."What are you doing?" Lucretia asks. "I'm going home," Lloyd replies. Thus is from a joke I once read. Please check out my new puzzle at the bottom of. . .well, you know.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yahoo. This is the first solve of a Nimue for me after much trying.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3689
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you should now be well-equipped to solve my others!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: