[Nimue] Drowning in a Scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2008 » [Nimue] Drowning in a Scrund « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to have a scrund about drowning, & I've recently discovered that most of my friends have it, too. Do you? Find the scrund & find out!
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the scrund concern:
The events leading up to drowning?
The way it feels to drown?
The way that drowning causes death?
What happens to the body after drowning?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3686
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1252

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:03 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Did the scrund concern:
The events leading up to drowning? no
The way it feels to drown? no
The way that drowning causes death? no
What happens to the body after drowning? no
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the positioning of arms?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3687
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 376

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Anything to do with the positioning of arms? no
Bigpurple (Bigpurple)
Username: Bigpurple

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the number "3" involved?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that Stevie Smith, author of "Not Waving But Drowning" was a man?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the drowning of some famous person relevant? a historical event were people drowned (or at least you thought so)?

If you had read a story about an average person drowning in the (more or less) present day, before you had clarified your scrund, could the scrund have affected your understanding of that event? or is a specific person or time period relevant at all?

Would you have had the same scrund about animals drowning?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the scrund have to do with what drowning really means? I.e. Water in the lungs killing person as opposed to lack of oxygen assimilation actually doing the killing? (In a sense, you can drown in space even though you're a million miles away from the nearest water source.)

Does the scrund have to do with... who's more likely to drown? Some requirement for drowning?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigpurple (Bigpurple)

Post Number: 41

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:04 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the number "3" involved? nNo. What's behind this question??
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1450

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:21 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Did you think that Stevie Smith, author of "Not Waving But Drowning" was a man? No. I love her poetry, by the way!
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 156

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:57 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the drowning of some famous person relevant? see mext answer a historical event were people drowned (or at least you thought so)? yes

If you had read a story about an average person drowning in the (more or less) present day, before you had clarified your scrund, could the scrund have affected your understanding of that event? yesor is a specific person or time period relevant at all? no

Would you have had the same scrund about animals drowning? yes
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1374

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 9:35 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does the scrund have to do with what drowning really means? noI.e. Water in the lungs killing person as opposed to lack of oxygen assimilation actually doing the killing? no (In a sense, you can drown in space even though you're a million miles away from the nearest water source.)

Does the scrund have to do with... who's more likely to drown? yopeSome requirement for drowning? yope
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm confused. In one of your replies you said that a historical event was relevant, yet in the next set of questions you said that a specific time period was not relevant at all, and that an arbitrary present-day drowning would work just as well. Are you trying to say that both the present and the past would work, it doesn't have to be one or the other?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3692
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 164

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:32 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
I'm confused. In one of your replies you said that a historical event was relevant, yet in the next set of questions you said that a specific time period was not relevant at all, and that an arbitrary present-day drowning would work just as well. Are you trying to say that both the present and the past would work, it doesn't have to be one or the other?The scrund is about a particular historical event, but it's not really relevant that this event occurred in the past rather than the present.
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about how one might prevent drowning? Drowning on purpose rather than by accident?

Did the incident involve more than one person drowning? If so, could the scrund emerge from just one person drowning? Did they in fact die?

Titanic relevant? Or any ship?
Bigpurple (Bigpurple)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The three indicates the number of times a person will come up for air before actually drowning. It's something I heard of a long time ago as a kid. Of course it's not true, but I believed it for quite some time.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it about the Titanic, where most of the victims froze rather than drowned? Or any other disaster in the North Atlantic?
Tanvishashikant (Tanvishashikant)
Username: Tanvishashikant

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about the air in the lungs? Or in any other part of the body? Is it to do with holding of breath?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3693
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 171

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:56 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the scrund about how one might prevent drowning? no Drowning on purpose rather than by accident? no

Did the incident involve more than one person drowning? yes If so, could the scrund emerge from just one person drowning? yesDid they in fact die? yes

Titanic relevant? yesOr any ship? see previous answer
Bigpurple (Bigpurple)

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 4:35 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
The three indicates the number of times a person will come up for air before actually drowning. It's something I heard of a long time ago as a kid. Of course it's not true, but I believed it for quite some time. I never heard this except in the Emily Dickinson poem that begins, "Drowning is not so pitiful."
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 323

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 2:28 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it about the Titanic, where most of the victims froze rather than drowned? yes Or any other disaster in the North Atlantic? no
Tanvishashikant (Tanvishashikant)
Username: Tanvishashikant

Post Number: 163

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 3:50 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the scrund about the air in the lungs?no Or in any other part of the body? noIs it to do with holding of breath? no

********** SPOILER *****************
Along with most people I asked, I used to take it for granted that many people drowned when the Titanic went down. In fact, no one or almost no one drowned. They froze to death. Sorry it was so easy, but I think it's an interesting little fact, & I'm sure the new puzzle I'm about to post will be harder, even though I've been a lousy judge of that in the past.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: