[Woodworm] Only the coolest ocelots Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2008 » [Woodworm] Only the coolest ocelots « Previous Next »

Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a little puzzle in the Scrund tradition. It should be on the easy side.

My first pet had a name which my family found very appropriate, for two reasons. However, thirty years later I realised that it was appropriate for a third reason as well.

Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what the pet was? its breed?

was it:
a mammal? fish? reptile? bird?

Title relevant? It wasn't really an ocelot was it? I know Salvador Dalí used to take his everywhere!

A domestic cat perhaps?

Was the name one word? two? more? Would you consider it to be a common name for a pet?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what the pet was? yes its breed? no

was it:
a mammal? yes fish? no reptile? no bird? no

Title relevant? only in that we're talking felines: the title was just my excuse for a pretty anagram It wasn't really an ocelot was it? I wish! No it wasn't I know Salvador Dali used to take his everywhere! He had an ocelot? I didn't know that. I saw a pet serval on the TV the other day: it was absolutely beautiful. I want one.

A domestic cat perhaps? yes indeed

Was the name one word? just one two? more? Would you consider it to be a common name for a pet? no
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gulp... can't believe I missed the anagram >.<

Would the name belie the fact that your pet was a cat?

Did the third reason arise much later, or was it true even thirty years ago - you just didn't know it?

Is your name (Howard Wilde) relevant?
Your current pet's name (Lyra) relevant? (Is she a cat too?)

Was one of the reasons to do with the pet's behaviour? appearance?

Any particular members of your family relevant?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gulp... can't believe I missed the anagram >.<

Would the name belie the fact that your pet was a cat? no

Did the third reason arise much later, or was it true even thirty years ago - you just didn't know it? the latter

Is your name (Howard Wilde) relevant? no, though I once had another cat called Oscar :-)
Your current pet's name (Lyra) relevant? (Is she a cat too?)She is indeed a cat, and a fine one, but (I hope she's not watching as I type this) she is not relevant

Was one of the reasons to do with the pet's behaviour? no appearance? no

Any particular members of your family relevant? yes
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cat named after another animal? I.e. Tiger? Fish (Ghoti - prounounced "fish" in proper american tradition)? Cheetah?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cat named after another animal? no I.e. Tiger? no

Fish (Ghoti - prounounced "fish" in proper american tradition)? LOL! No. I like the American tradition of naming cats "fish", though. You could have several, with different spellings, eg Phish, Pfisch, and of course Ghoti. I always thought Ghoti was an invention of James Joyce, though this may well be another scrund.

Cheetah? Wasn't this a chimpanzee? But no, this wasn't my cat. Good questions.
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about the origin, but at my college you were only allowed to have "non-dangerous Fish" in your dorm rooms. A friend of mine rescued an abandoned kitten and I sugested that he name it Fish since that would mean none of us would be honor-bound to report such a cute and clearly non-dangerous Fish. Thus, Ghoti.

Would the name be given to a human being? Common? Uncommon? Hardly ever used? Related to a vegetable? Mineral? Color?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about the origin, but at my college you were only allowed to have "non-dangerous Fish" in your dorm rooms. A friend of mine rescued an abandoned kitten and I sugested that he name it Fish since that would mean none of us would be honor-bound to report such a cute and clearly non-dangerous Fish. Thus, Ghoti. That would have made an excellent puzzle!

Would the name be given to a human being? it's possible and worth exploring Common? no-ish, as far as I know Uncommon? certainly I don't know anyone personally with this name, but ... Hardly ever used? very yopish, see above

Related to a vegetable? no Mineral? no Color? no
Blazingphoenix (Blazingphoenix)
Username: Blazingphoenix

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it Sushi? (I had a Japanese Fighting Fish [a Beta] that I gave that name to)
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it Sushi? (I had a Japanese Fighting Fish [a Beta] that I gave that name to) Hehehe! No. Sushi would be a fine name for a cat, though.
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cat named after a famous person? A character in a book? in a movie? Named after somebody that you don't know "personally"?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cat named after a famous person? yes, or at least it shared its name with a famous person, though that isn't primarily how it got its name A character in a book? no in a movie? no Named after somebody that you don't know "personally"? yes
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Famous person with whom the cat shares a name: Male? Female? Politician? Actor? TV Personality? Sports figure? Comic book superhero? Baldwin? Other?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

30 years later... so the name was assigned in 1978? Earlier? Is the year particularly relevant for figuring out the name?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Famous person with whom the cat shares a name: Male? this, though I'm not sure whether the cat was male or female, to be honest Female? Politician? got it in one: a politician Actor? TV Personality? Sports figure? Comic book superhero? Baldwin? Ah, that was another puzzle of mine. But no. A cat named after Stanley Baldwin would have been somewhat eccentric. Other? so, no

30 years later... so the name was assigned in 1978? Earlier? this Is the year particularly relevant for figuring out the name? yes-ish: to save you the trouble of the LTPF list of years, it was 1972. The year of the cat-naming is relevant, but the time it took me to realise my scrund (roughly thirty years) isn't ...
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checking... US politician? British? Other?
Name of a President?
Eisenhour? Kennedy? Johnson? Nixon?
Name of a VP? Senator? Representative? Governor? Country level? State level? County/Town level?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checking... US politician? British? Other? this
Name of a President? yope or yes-ish

Eisenhour? Kennedy? Johnson? Nixon? none of these, though the last is most promising ...

Name of a VP? Senator? Representative? Governor? Country level? this State level? County/Town level? no to rest
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Milhous? Yahya?

Was the politician from...
Russia?
Pakistan?
India?
China?
Europe?
Asia?
Africa?
Australia?
South America?
North America?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Milhous? Yahya? Hahah! Both fine names for cats, but no. Which narrows it down to ...

Was the politician from...
Russia?
Pakistan?
India?
China? ... this one
Europe?
Asia? yes, see above
Africa?
Australia?
South America?
North America?

no to rest
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mao? Zedong?

Mao... which sounds like "Meow" sound that cats make?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mao? Zedong?

Mao... which sounds like "Meow" sound that cats make?

Yes! In 1972, My parents named our cat Mao, because I was only four years old and couldn't say "meow" properly. It just happened to be the year of Nixon's visit to China, when Mao Zedong was very much in the news.

Which just leaves the scrund part. Why was the name appropriate, for reasons that we didn't know at the time?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe the word "Mao" actually means "cat", does it not? Something similar to that anyway...
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that Mao is also...
...a card game?
...a bird? (Did your cat like to chase birds?)
...a place?
...Hawaiian cotton?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something similar to that anyway...Relevant that Mao is also...
...a card game?
...a bird? (Did your cat like to chase birds?)
...a place?
...Hawaiian cotton? I didn't know any of these things! However ...

I believe the word "Mao" actually means "cat", does it not? Something similar to that anyway...

Yes! Apparently, as I discovered on some sort of trivia quiz many years later, "Mao" is the Chinese word for "cat", which means that our moggie was even more appropriately named than we first thought.

And that's the ...

*** SPOILER ***

Congrats to DLCygnet and Enjay for figuring it out, and thanks as ever to everyone for humouring me.
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, the benefits of QI...is that where you discovered it too?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, now you mention it, it may well have been QI or something like that. It was definitely one of those trivia-type shows, and I remember thinking "Hey, I had a cat called Mao and never had any idea".

I wonder how many radical cats were called Mao in the 60s and 70s?

See also: http://www.wendychao.com/chairmanmeow/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: