[Rcs] Presidential Scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2008 » [Rcs] Presidential Scrund « Previous Next »

Rcs (Rcs)
Username: Rcs

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Around the same time I thought Lincoln was the 5th President of the US because he appeared on the $5 bill, I also had another, much more subtle scrund about American Presidents. What was it?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 432
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the reason for the scrund relevant?

Does it have to do with:

Gender?
Time periods?
Religion?
Race?
First Ladies?
First Family?
The White House?
Washington DC?
Military service?
Candidates?
Elections?
Political parties?
Political beliefs?

Presidents, or other people (voters, etc)?
If the former, multiple presidents, or just one?

Anything to do with the guy in 1849 who was (not) President for a day?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the reason for the scrund relevant? Not really.

Does it have to do with:

Gender? No.
Time periods? Yesish.
Religion? No.
Race? No.
First Ladies? No.
First Family? No.
The White House? No.
Washington DC? No.
Military service? No.
Candidates? No.
Elections? No.
Political parties? No.
Political beliefs? No.

Presidents, or other people (voters, etc)? Just presidents.
If the former, multiple presidents, or just one? Multiple.

Anything to do with the guy in 1849 who was (not) President for a day? No, but nice try.
Juliandave (Juliandave)
Username: Juliandave

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That Lincoln was also the first President because he appears on the penny?
Only dead Presidents appear on money?
Is it related to US money?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That Lincoln was also the first President because he appears on the penny?
Only dead Presidents appear on money?
Is it related to US money? No to all.

And by the way, your second question isn't a scrund at all. US law really DOES prohibit the depiction of living people on money.
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that Benjamin Franklin was one of our presidents since he was on the hundred dollar bill?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that Benjamin Franklin was one of our presidents since he was on the hundred dollar bill? No. This one has nothing at all to do with US money.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with number of terms in office? Did you think that no president had served more than two terms?

Any relevant surnames?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with number of terms in office? Did you think that no president had served more than two terms?

Any relevant surnames? No to all.
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something about when the US presidency began? When each president is inagurated?
Was the scrund the same for every president? Every one in a certain time period?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something about when the US presidency began? No, but somewhat OTRT. When each president is inagurated? No.
Was the scrund the same for every president? Yes. Every one in a certain time period? See previous response.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are leap years relevant?
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something about why the presidency was started? A particular saying about the presidency? Speeches relevant? A common theme or phrase in presidental speeches? Inaguration/swearing in relevant at all?
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)
Username: Usmcfink

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this deal with US presidents only? Founding fathers? Stamps? First Ladies? VPs?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are leap years relevant? No.

Something about why the presidency was started? Noish. A particular saying about the presidency? Speeches relevant? A common theme or phrase in presidental speeches? Inaguration/swearing in relevant at all? No to rest.

Does this deal with US presidents only? Yesish. Founding fathers? Yes. Stamps? First Ladies? VPs? No to rest.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this deal with US presidents only or US presidents only?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this deal with US presidents only or US presidents only? The puzzle deals only with the 42 (41 at the time) individuals that have been President of the US. Nobody else is involved in the scrund.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve the presidents' names? terms in office? legislation? public appearance? wars participated in? religion? ethnicity? sex? order of birth?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve the presidents' names? No. terms in office? Yope. legislation? public appearance? wars participated in? religion? ethnicity? sex? order of birth? No to rest.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with:

Founding Fathers who became presidents? If so, all, some, or just one?
Founding Fathers who did NOT become presidents? Again, all, some, or just one?

All or some of the following:
Washington
Adams
Jefferson
Madison
Monroe
Others?

Did this have to do with what they had done during the Revolution? Before it? Post-Revolution but before becoming presidents? What they did as Presidents? Did you think that the Presidency began before it really did (1789)? After?

Does it have to do with the capital, or that it was originally New York/Philadelphia?

Anything to do with the move to make George Washington a king?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with:

Founding Fathers who became presidents? Yope. If so, all, some, or just one? All.
Founding Fathers who did NOT become presidents? No. Again, all, some, or just one?

All or some of the following:
Washington
Adams
Jefferson
Madison
Monroe
Others? Nothing about any SPECIFIC president. The scrund is ONLY about the presidents as a group.

Did this have to do with what they had done during the Revolution? Before it? Post-Revolution but before becoming presidents? What they did as Presidents? Did you think that the Presidency began before it really did (1789)? After? None of these (I did once think that the Presidency began in 1776, but that's not the scrund I'm looking for.

Does it have to do with the capital, or that it was originally New York/Philadelphia? No.

Anything to do with the move to make George Washington a king? No. And I've always thought the thing about making Washington a king was a legend that sprung up after the fact (just like the cherry tree story), but maybe not.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that all of the founding fathers became president? That none of the founding fathers became president? That the founding fathers chose the first president?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that all of the founding fathers became president? OTRT, but not exactly what I was looking for. That none of the founding fathers became president? That the founding fathers chose the first president? No to rest.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the founding fathers agreeing on the type of government? The party system? Something dealing with the differences between state and federal government? Something about the constitution? Wigs? =)
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the founding fathers agreeing on the type of government? The party system? Something dealing with the differences between state and federal government? Something about the constitution? Wigs? =) None of these.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That all of the founding fathers fought in the revolution? That all presidents fought in a war? That someone who was a president was a founding father that wasn't? That one of the founding fathers was a president that wasn't?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That all of the founding fathers fought in the revolution? No. That all presidents fought in a war? Noish. That someone who was a president was a founding father that wasn't? YES! Play a little with that one. That one of the founding fathers was a president that wasn't? No.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you think that James Madison had signed the declaration of independence?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you think that James Madison had signed the declaration of independence? No. Remember what I said earlier. This scrund wasn't about any particular president but rather about presidents in general. Bearing that in mind, you may have enough information to solve the puzzle.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok...I am going to re-read the whole puzzle and see if I can't find that missing piece! Lets see...

I feel so inadequate in this puzzle because my US history is extremely weak...especially pre-1900. I'm truly at an impasse. All I'm thinking of are really stupid things that wouldn't even be scrunds...I need help from another member!

PS - I've got a puzzle up which I am formally inviting you to join. It is called tower of babel. I forgot if I already invited you or not in another puzzle...
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm just about the president's? Are any important document relevant? The Constitution? About the President's powers? Did you believe presidents to be in the legislative branch? Or did you not think they could declare war? Would this scrund hold true for Jefferson Davis as well (President of the Confederacy)? About how they are sworn in? When elections are held?

And your reinforcements have arrived ;)
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm just about the president's? Are any important document relevant? No. The Constitution? About the President's powers? No. Did you believe presidents to be in the legislative branch? No. Or did you not think they could declare war? No. Would this scrund hold true for Jefferson Davis as well (President of the Confederacy)? No, and at the time I had this scrund, I didn't know who Jefferson Davis was. About how they are sworn in? No. When elections are held? No.

You were VERY close when you guessed that it was about thinking that some president was a founding father when he wasn't. I answered "Yes" to that question, but then I said that the correct scrund was about ALL PRESIDENTS. Now, can you figure it out?
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you think that president and founding father were synonymous?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you think that president and founding father were synonymous? YES!!!

**********************SPOILER!*******************

Back when I first learned about the presidents in kindergarten (I think), I somehow got the false impression that ALL the presidents played some role in the nation's formative process--that they were ALL Founding Fathers (although I didn't know that term at the time). I thought they had all lived in the 1700s and that there weren't any more presidents now.

I also didn't understand that a phrase like "20th president" meant the 20th person who had held a particular office or that the numbering of the presidents was merely sequential. I thought that all of the presidents had been presidents at the same time, and that they had worked together to found our nation! I wasn't really sure what the numbers meant, but I thought they might be some sort of ranking in terms of importance--after all, Washington was the first president and he was also the most important, right? (I think this was another reason why I thought Lincoln had to be one of the low-numbered presidents; after all, how could a president as important as Lincoln be only 16th????). The idea that only one person could be president at a time simply never occurred to me!

Hope you all enjoyed the puzzle!
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha, funny =) So at what age did you actually discover that we only have one president at a time?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About 6 or 7, I think.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: