(Kdoc) Why didn't I answer the phone?... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2008 » (Kdoc) Why didn't I answer the phone? « Previous Next »

Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today the phone rang. I knew who it probably was, I knew they wanted to speak to me, I wanted to speak to them, I wasn't doing anything else important and I was quite able to answer the phone - however I did not do so.

Why not?

(My first puzzle for three years before I go back to lurking!)
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you just lazy ;-))?

Were you afraid it might be someone else?

Was it an agreed signal (like - I'll let the phone ring three times and you'll go downstairs and meet me personally)?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 738
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alhucema !

Were you just lazy ;-))?who me?! no

Were you afraid it might be someone else? no

Was it an agreed signal (like - I'll let the phone ring three times and you'll go downstairs and meet me personally)? no
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 739
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alhucema !

Were you just lazy ;-))?who me?! no

Were you afraid it might be someone else? no

Was it an agreed signal (like - I'll let the phone ring three times and you'll go downstairs and meet me personally)? no
Vagary (Vagary)
Username: Vagary

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it your phone? A friend's phone?
Was anything actually preventing you from answering?
Did you hear the phone ring? Was the ringer off?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

Was it your phone? no A friend's phone? no
Was anything actually preventing you from answering? physically? no
Did you hear the phone ring? yes Was the ringer off? no
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You wanted to speak to them but not right at that moment? Were you naked? In the restroom? Was it a phone call? An online call? Webcams involved?
Vagary (Vagary)
Username: Vagary

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A family member's phone? A complete stranger's phone?
Is the owner of the phone relevant to the solution?
Did you not want to answer it because it was not your phone?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it was neither your phone nor a friend's. Was it a family member's? a significant other's? a stranger's?

Was it a cell phone? a land line phone?

Is the calling plan relevant? Did you wish to call this person, rather than the other way around, so you would get billed for the call? Did you have unlimited calling at another time of day, so that you would rather have postponed the call until then?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 744
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You wanted to speak to them but not right at that moment? noWere you naked? no In the restroom? no Was it a phone call? yes An online call? no Webcams involved? no

A family member's phone? no A complete stranger's phone? no
Is the owner of the phone relevant to the solution? yesish
Did you not want to answer it because it was not your phone? no - that's not correct

So it was neither your phone nor a friend's. correct Was it a family member's? no a significant other's? do you mean husband etc? no a stranger's? no

Was it a cell phone? no a land line phone? yes

Is the calling plan relevant? not sure what you mean, sorry Did you wish to call this person, rather than the other way around, so you would get billed for the call? noDid you have unlimited calling at another time of day, so that you would rather have postponed the call until then?no
ah- I see what you mean about calling plan - no it's not relevant
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3802
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to say hi Hannah! I'll think of a question or two.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3803
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you at work?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3804
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there somebody there you didn't want to overhear your conversation? Were you planning Christmas presents?? Or a day at a spa and you didn't want to invite your colleagues along, especially Mr J. in accounts (you've seen him in his swimming trunks before at the last work bonding weekend and it wasn't a pretty sight)? Or summat like that?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 745
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to say hi Hannah! I'll think of a question or two. Hi Lynne! How's it going?

Were you at work? yes
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3805
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you email me your addy, I'll give you a quick update
Beroean (Beroean)
Username: Beroean

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have any concerns should you answer the phone?
e.g. Not wanting someon eelse to overhear / be aware of who you were talking to?
Beroean (Beroean)
Username: Beroean

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and of course.. Hi again Hannah!
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you email me your addy, I'll give you a quick update done
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 748
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have any concerns should you answer the phone?
e.g. Not wanting someon eelse to overhear / be aware of who you were talking to? no

Oh and of course.. Hi again Hannah!Hi! It's just like old times here tonight...
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not yet, because I've not chimed in...plus it's only what, 2:15 in the afternoon, sheesh...8-)

So (taking shameless advantage of prior knowledge, although your user name is somewhat of a give-away, isn't it) you're still working as a doctor? Let's see, was it...microbiology? No? Something like? Is that relevant?

Was the phone call a prearranged sort of thing? Did the person on the other end expect you to answer? Someone else to answer? No answer?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3806
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the timing, the location, other people, the person who was phoning, other stuff you were doing, the key to why you didn't answer the phone?

Did you know for sure that it was the person you were thinking of?
Would you have answered the phone at that time if there was no question of that person phoning?
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And psst, you've forgotten to put your name in the title...(:
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not yet, because I've not chimed in...plus it's only what, 2:15 in the afternoon, sheesh...8-) Hi! so now we need Chuck...

So (taking shameless advantage of prior knowledge, although your user name is somewhat of a give-away, isn't it) you're still working as a doctor? yes Let's see, was it...microbiology? No? Something like? Is that relevant? great memory - it was microbiology, but is now public health. It is relevant that I am a doctor - but all you need to know is that I currently work in an office dealing with healthcare providers from time to time

Was the phone call a prearranged sort of thing? yesish Did the person on the other end expect you to answer? probably not Someone else to answer? probably No answer? no

Was the timing, no the location, noish other people, yope? the person who was phoning, yope?other stuff you were doing,no the key to why you didn't answer the phone?

Did you know for sure that it was the person you were thinking of? no
Would you have answered the phone at that time if there was no question of that person phoning? possibly

And psst, you've forgotten to put your name in the title...(: oh dear - it's been such a long time... is there a friendly moderator who can help?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3807
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any other people directly relevant to this scenario?
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heck, I'm still trying to work out why Ms. Burdoo won't answer the phone if she's naked - she must have a more sophisticated phone than I. And Chuck's probably still at work...

Did someone answer the phone? If so, was a message left? If not, was a message left? Did the caller expect to talk to you? Did you continue with whatever you were doing after the call?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 750
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any other people directly relevant to this scenario?well there's me and the caller, and I guess at least two other people

Now, annoyingly, I have to leave to get to bed so I can get up early to miss the traffic to sit in my office and hopefully check the forum tomorrow (if the wonders of the great British NHS IT system allow such things...) Goodnight!
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 751
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heck, I'm still trying to work out why Ms. Burdoo won't answer the phone if she's naked - she must have a more sophisticated phone than I. And Chuck's probably still at work... I would happily answer the phone naked but probably not at work. I shall look forward to Chuck joining us but tell him to bring chocolate truffles

Did someone answer the phone? yes If so, was a message left? no If not, was a message left? no Did the caller expect to talk to you? yes Did you continue with whatever you were doing after the call? yes. May be FA here
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3808
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - Qs for tomorrow

Was it a personal call? Husband? One of your kids? Was it business?
Was it a someone wanting to sell something?
Was it your lunchtime and you didn't want the caller to know you were still in your office?
Should you have been elsewhere?
Had you stood the person up?
Along the same lines - Did it ring and you rushed off to somewhere that you'd forgotten?
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a live human on the other end of the call? Was it a reminder of some sort?
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)
Username: Usmcfink

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a work phone? payphone? pre-paid phone?

Was the person calling acquainted with you personally? professionally? not yet introduced?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspected it might be a video call of some sort, that's why. I appear to be wrong.

Was this a cell phone or landline? Work phone? Home? Private or public? Same questions relating to the caller? Which, if any, of these are relevant?

Was the caller a client of yours?

The two people relevant besides you and the caller -- relevant to you? The caller? Both? Known to you and/or the caller? Personally? Coworkers, relatives, friends? If coworkers, are they supervisors or subordinates to you? If related are they immediate family or distant? Do they live with you, nearby, or across country? Relevant? Is the caller nearby, or within 1 mile? 10? 100? 1,000? 10,000? Relevant?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 752
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a personal call? no Husband? no One of your kids? no Was it business? yes
Was it a someone wanting to sell something? no
Was it your lunchtime and you didn't want the caller to know you were still in your office? no
Should you have been elsewhere? no
Had you stood the person up? no
Along the same lines - Did it ring and you rushed off to somewhere that you'd forgotten? no

Was there a live human on the other end of the call? yes Was it a reminder of some sort?no

was it a work phone? yes payphone? no pre-paid phone? no

Was the person calling acquainted with you personally? no professionally? yesish not yet introduced? yope..

Was this a cell phone or landline? Work phone? Home? Private or public? as above it was a work landline Same questions relating to the caller? the caller was using a work landline I would presume Which, if any, of these are relevant? it is relevant that the call was occurring in a work situation

Was the caller a client of yours? no

The two people relevant besides you and the caller -- relevant to you? yes The caller? yes Both? probably, in a loose sense of relevant Known to you and/or the caller? one was known to me, one I knew of. One was known to caller Personally? no Coworkers, relatives, friends? one relevant person was co-worker to me. the other wasn't. Neither was a co-worker to the caller, except in a very loose sense If coworkers, are they supervisors or subordinates to you? neither really, just a colleague If related are they immediate family or distant? n/a Do they live with you, nearby, or across country? no Relevant? Is the caller nearby, or within 1 mile? 10? 100? 1,000? 10,000? Relevant? caller about 100 miles away - somewhat relevant
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the caller know you were there? and did not answer the phone?

Did you try to avoid anything?

Did any ? both? of the other two persons know who was calling? for what purpose? relevant?

Were they in the same room as you ? Within a hearing distance?

Would you have answered the phone under different circumstances?

Does the phone enable you to identify the caller? Relevant?

Did you want to save the caller's? any other's? money?

Did you phone back?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 753
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the caller know you were there? yes and did not answer the phone? not sure how to answer - they knew it was not me answering the phone at that time

Did you try to avoid anything? no

Did any ? both? of the other two persons know who was calling? no for what purpose? no relevant? not really

Were they in the same room as you ? of the two relevant people one was in the room nearby, one was not Within a hearing distance? one was

Would you have answered the phone under different circumstances? yes

Does the phone enable you to identify the caller? no Relevant? yesish

Did you want to save the caller's? any other's? money? no to both

Did you phone back? no

still a FA lurking
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3809
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the caller have a good or bad or neutral message?
Were you waiting for results of some tests and scared to answer the phone?
Did you want to avoid the caller?
Were you hoping for a promotion?
Was the phone call from someone who works in the same office as you normally? Were they calling from another related office?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 754
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the caller have a good or bad or neutral message? neutral
Were you waiting for results of some tests and scared to answer the phone? no
Did you want to avoid the caller? no
Were you hoping for a promotion? no
Was the phone call from someone who works in the same office as you normally? \b[no} Were they calling from another related office?no
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if this has been asked - did anybody answer the phone? Did you have a reason for wanting somebody else to take the call? Did it go to answerphone?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if this has been asked - did anybody answer the phone? yes Did you have a reason for wanting somebody else to take the call? yes Did it go to answerphone? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the relevant person nearby who you wanted to take the call? Did they know the person calling? Did they have the same relationship with the caller as you did?

Did the caller want to speak with this person? Having spoken to them, would they then still want to speak to you? Did they in fact speak to you during the call (maybe the person who answered it passed it over to you?)

Did the person calling give the same information to the person who answered as they would have given to you?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the relevant person nearby who you wanted to take the call? yes Did they know the person calling? no Did they have the same relationship with the caller as you did? no

Did the caller want to speak with this person? not especially Having spoken to them, would they then still want to speak to you? yes Did they in fact speak to you during the call (maybe the person who answered it passed it over to you?) yes - that's the FA, that I didn't speak to the caller - I did

Did the person calling give the same information to the person who answered as they would have given to you? no
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3811
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the person who first answered the phone benefit from having done so?
Did you want them to be introduced? If so, professionally, or personally?
Do you work directly with the other person who answered the phone?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the person who first answered the phone benefit from having done so? no
Did you want them to be introduced? no If so, professionally, or personally?
Do you work directly with the other person who answered the phonesorry - which person? Let's say the person who answered the phone in my office is Matt, he's one of the two relevant people. He is a co-worker of mine. You need know no more about him
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3812
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All those questions referred to Matt btw.

Was the caller senior to you? Junior? A near stranger?

You said yope to whether the caller had been introduced to you. Does the yope mean 'not until you spoke to him'?

Would it help to find out exactly where he was? What he was doing prior to the call?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All those questions referred to Matt btw. OK - did I answer them?

Was the caller senior to you? yes Junior? no A near stranger? yes

You said yope to whether the caller had been introduced to you. Does the yope mean 'not until you spoke to him'? yes..but possible FA

Would it help to find out exactly where he was? not the geographical location. More so the type of place What he was doing prior to the call? not his specific actions but his role
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3814
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you let Matt answer the phone in order to give yourself more gravitas? Or is he your secretary anyway? Did you need to make sure that the caller was indeed who you expected, before you spoke to him?

Does the caller know you by name, or just your role in your office?
Could he have spoken to someone else or did it have to be Kdoc herself?

Is he a reporter? Or something in the media?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 762
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you let Matt answer the phone in order to give yourself more gravitas? noish Or is he your secretary anyway? not really, but he could be for the sake of the puzzle Did you need to make sure that the caller was indeed who you expected, before you spoke to him? no

Does the caller know you by name, yes or just your role in your office? no
Could he have spoken to someone else or did it have to be Kdoc herself? it was me he wanted

Is he a reporter? no Or something in the media? no
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3815
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the timing of the call that made you feel sure it was him? Or had you been letting Matt take all the calls all morning / all day?
Did Matt know of him? Is he famous?
Did you want Matt to be able to say that he spoke to Mr Bigwig today?
Had you ever met the caller? Spoken to him before? Corresponded with him?
Had you requested something of him? Did he want something from you?
Are you engaged in a joint project?
Was he wanting information about someone else?
Was he from the Nobel Prize corporation??
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the timing of the call that made you feel sure it was him? yes Or had you been letting Matt take all the calls all morning / all day? no
Did Matt know of him? no Is he famous? no
Did you want Matt to be able to say that he spoke to Mr Bigwig today? no
Had you ever met the caller? no Spoken to him before? yes Corresponded with him? no
Had you requested something of him? yes Did he want something from you? no
Are you engaged in a joint project? noish
Was he wanting information about someone else? no..
Was he from the Nobel Prize corporation?? no, sadly I'm not that good...
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3816
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you requested information about something to do with your work?
Something else businesslike, but not work-related?
Anything to do with your books?
Was it to do with public health?
Something more specific?
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the COE?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you requested information about something to do with your work? yes
Something else businesslike, but not work-related? no
Anything to do with your books? no
Was it to do with public health? yesish, in that it was work related and I work as a public health doctor
Something more specific? it was quite specific

Anything to do with the COE? sorry - COE? Ah - do you mean Church of Eng? No
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Religion relevant? (As, for example, the Orthodox Jewish are not allowed to work on Saturdays)?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 766
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Religion relevant? (As, for example, the Orthodox Jewish are not allowed to work on Saturdays)? no - religion doesn't come into this puzzle
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he wanting more information about you? Is he also a doctor? Is his position more in the nature of administrative/managerial?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 767
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he wanting more information about you? yope Is he also a doctor? yes Is his position more in the nature of administrative/managerial? no
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to confirm, you intentionally did not answer the phone because you were reasonably sure who it was? Is there something about this other doctor that caused you to avoid answering? Were you consulting with him on something medical? About a patient?

Did you have ethical reasons for not answering? Practical? Emotional?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 770
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to confirm, you intentionally did not answer the phone because you were reasonably sure who it was? correct Is there something about this other doctor that caused you to avoid answering? difficult to answer - rephrase please Were you consulting with him on something medical? yesish About a patient? yes

Did you have ethical reasons for not answering? no Practical? yes Emotional? no
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2504
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...I guess I was thinking that perhaps there were known qualities about the person that made you believe it would be best overall not to answer personally...such as he's got racist/sexist/ageist issues? Is it relevant what type of doctor he is (I was assuming medical, but certainly there are a plethora of available types)?

About the yesish, was the consult more to do with administrative/bureaucratic issues vs. medical ones? Or about referring/referrals?

Did you want Matt to know who called for some reason?

I am not familiar with the UK health system, so please pardon any groping or offensive assumptions on my part.
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er, intellectual groping, I mean - hope that was clear...
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 772
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...I guess I was thinking that perhaps there were known qualities about the person that made you believe it would be best overall not to answer personally...such as he's got racist/sexist/ageist issues? ah, I see - no Is it relevant what type of doctor he is (I was assuming medical, but certainly there are a plethora of available types)? yes, medical, relevant. Most specialties would work. he was a paediatrician

About the yesish, was the consult more to do with administrative/bureaucratic issues vs. medical ones? mm, yope? Or about referring/referrals? yope

Did you want Matt to know who called for some reason? no

I am not familiar with the UK health system, so please pardon any groping or offensive assumptions on my part. so pardoned.. Actually something like this could have happened in a similar way under most medical systems I would have thought. Anywhere a doctor could talk to another by telephone

oh - and I'm sure you're too much of a gentleman to engage in anything but intellectual groping on an open forum.. (:
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'course I'm a gennleman - all my groping is innellectual-like, regardless of forum.

Were you hoping he wouldn't need to talk to you (if that makes sense)? Transplants relevant?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 773
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you hoping he wouldn't need to talk to you (if that makes sense)? it does - no, I wanted to talk to him Transplants relevant? no
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 774
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it would be helpful to find out what had gone on immediately before he called
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3822
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you dropped a load of stuff, including yourself, and you had to clamber out from under the desk? Get your breath back?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you dropped a load of stuff, including yourself, and you had to clamber out from under the desk? Get your breath back? no, but nice idea.
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To confirm, you had contacted him (his office?) to consult about something medical/medically-administrativish? And this was on behalf of a patient? The way it works with my current insurance coverage, if I (or anyone in my family) needs/wants to consult with a specialist (e. g. basically anything but a pediatrician, gynecologist or family-practice/internist) a referral from the primary physician is required - is anything like that relevant? Were you attempting to determine the best way to get the best care for a patient? To expedite a particular course of treatment?

The additional relevant personage - the person about whom you were consulting? Was this person in the office with you at the time?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 779
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To confirm, you had contacted him (his office?) to consult about something medical/medically-administrativish? yes And this was on behalf of a patient? yesish The way it works with my current insurance coverage, if I (or anyone in my family) needs/wants to consult with a specialist (e. g. basically anything but a pediatrician, gynecologist or family-practice/internist) a referral from the primary physician is required - is anything like that relevant? not really - but all you really need to know is that a patient's medical details were in question Were you attempting to determine the best way to get the best care for a patient? yope To expedite a particular course of treatment? yope - see above comment

The additional relevant personage - the person about whom you were consulting? yes Was this person in the office with you at the time? no

To recap; I am a doctor. I was working in the office when the phone rang and would have been quite able to answer the phone. Although I knew the caller would probably be a particular paediatrician, and I wanted to speak to him about a patient, I did not pick up the phone but let Matt, my colleague do so. He then passed the call to me and I spoke to the doctor. Why didn't I answer the call?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that you knew it was probably the paediatrician, but couldn't be sure? If you had been absolutely certain that you knew who it was, would you have answered the phone?
Or if you had had less idea - say you knew that the paediatrician was going to phone at some point, but the phone when it rang could easily have been somebody else - would you have answered?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that you knew it was probably the paediatrician, but couldn't be sure? see next answer If you had been absolutely certain that you knew who it was, would you have answered the phone? if I had known it wasn't him I might have answered depending upon whether it was convenient for me to do so. If I had known it was him I definitely wouldn't have answered
Or if you had had less idea - say you knew that the paediatrician was going to phone at some point, but the phone when it rang could easily have been somebody else - would you have answered? see above - hope that answers the question
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you said there was no physical impediment for you to pick up the phone?

Was the reason why you did not answer the phone just in your head?

If so: when deciding not to pick up the phone yourself, did you have in mind any other person than yourself and the caller?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Matt say anything relevant to the caller? If he had just said, "Hi, yes she's here, I'll pass you over" would that have worked?

Should we find out anything more about Matt? Did he know the reason why you wanted him to take the call? Did you give some relevant reason for not answering it yourself?

Had another colleague other than Matt been in the office at the time, could they just as well have taken the call? Ie, is it important that the person speaks to Matt? Or just that they don't speak directly to you first?
If someone else had elbowed Matt out the way and taken the call, then passed it to you, would you have taken it? Would you have achived what you wanted to achieve?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you said there was no physical impediment for you to pick up the phone? correct

Was the reason why you did not answer the phone just in your head? if you mean a mental decision, yes

If so: when deciding not to pick up the phone yourself, did you have in mind any other person than yourself and the caller? not quite sure what you mean. I knew that I wanted someone else to pick up the phone

Did Matt say anything relevant to the caller? yes If he had just said, "Hi, yes she's here, I'll pass you over" would that have worked? mmm, alone it wouldn't have achieved exactly what I wanted

Should we find out anything more about Matt? not really - he is just my colleague Did he know the reason why you wanted him to take the call? no, and slight FA Did you give some relevant reason for not answering it yourself? no, I just didn't answer it and knew someone else would

Had another colleague other than Matt been in the office at the time, could they just as well have taken the call? yes Ie, is it important that the person speaks to Matt? no Or just that they don't speak directly to you first? this is correct
If someone else had elbowed Matt out the way and taken the call, then passed it to you, would you have taken it? yes Would you have achived what you wanted to achieve? yes
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the main reason was that you wanted someone else to speak with the caller first? Was it your only reason?

"when deciding not to pick up the phone yourself, did you have in mind any other person than yourself and the caller?" - I meant whether the reason was something only between yourself and the caller? Or whether you were taking into account any other person as well? (as not wanting him/her to overhear something/get hurt)?

When wanting someone else to answer the phone, was it rather because of yourself (such as if expected a violent reaction of the caller and wanted him to cool down first)? Or rather because of the caller (e.g. you wanted him to know you were not alone in the room?)

What if you picked the phone yourself: Would the outcome be less pleasant for you? For the caller? For Matt? Anyone else? Relevant?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the main reason was that you wanted someone else to speak with the caller first? yes Was it your only reason? yes

"when deciding not to pick up the phone yourself, did you have in mind any other person than yourself and the caller?" - I meant whether the reason was something only between yourself and the caller? Or whether you were taking into account any other person as well? (as not wanting him/her to overhear something/get hurt)? oh, I see - no, I wasn't worried about anyone else

When wanting someone else to answer the phone, was it rather because of yourself (such as if expected a violent reaction of the caller and wanted him to cool down first)? no Or rather because of the caller (e.g. you wanted him to know you were not alone in the room?)yes - but not this explanation

What if you picked the phone yourself: Would the outcome be less pleasant for you? no For the caller? not less pleasant. perhaps less informative? For Matt? no Anyone else? noRelevant?no. Pleasantness wasn't involved. The reason was professional, not personal.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it involve the caller's feelings?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want the caller to know you were actually at work? Did you intend to transmit to him any other information about yourself? anything other? when not picking the phone up yourself?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it involve the caller's feelings?no

Did you want the caller to know you were actually at work? yope, close Did you intend to transmit to him any other information about yourself? yesish anything other? no when not picking the phone up yourself?yes - by not picking up the phone I believe I was giving him information about myself - ish!
Howardwoman (Howardwoman)
Username: Howardwoman

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to project that you were busy?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 790
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to project that you were busy? no, not that
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3825
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to express your seniority - you aren't just a lowly clerk? Or you aren't just available whenever he decides to call? I am meaning totally professionally of course.
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to express your seniority - you aren't just a lowly clerk? no, not that Or you aren't just available whenever he decides to call? no, that wasn't the reason I am meaning totally professionally of course. of course (;
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3829
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the subject of the conversation relevant to your behaviour, or is the caller the relevant bit?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the subject of the conversation relevant to your behaviour, or is the caller the relevant bit?the subject really. He could have called for other reasons and I would have picked up the phone I think..
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So would finding out the subject of your conversation lead us to the reason for your behaviour?
Are you always at the same location?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So would finding out the subject of your conversation lead us to the reason for your behaviour? you already know the subject of the conversation was a patient - specifically his medical details. It is relevant only who's patient it was - and to save you asking the obvious question - it was his
Are you always at the same location?yes
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it was your patient, would you have acted the same?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it was your patient, would you have acted the same? no, good question
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the patient in the room at the time?
Were you with the patient? Did the patient hear the phone ring? Hear the conversation between you and the other doctor?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 801
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the patient in the room at the time? no
Were you with the patient? no Did the patient hear the phone ring? noHear the conversation between you and the other doctor? no
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor/patient confidentiality relevant? Did Matt have some way of confirming who the doctor was (i. e. that he was really who he said he was)?

Did Matt do? or say? anything relevant between answering the phone and when you took it?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor/patient confidentiality relevant? yesish Did Matt have some way of confirming who the doctor was (i. e. that he was really who he said he was)? no...

Did Matt do? just picking up the phone and speaking or say? yes anything relevant between answering the phone and when you took it?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3834
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to test the caller's trustworthiness as to confidentiality?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 806
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to test the caller's trustworthiness as to confidentiality? no..
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 807
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: I had just done something relevant
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to finish something relevant to the other doctor's patient(eg a test) before answering the phone? Just to gain some time?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 810
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to finish something relevant to the other doctor's patient(eg a test) before answering the phone? no Just to gain some time? no

Recap:
To recap; I am a doctor. I was working in the office when the phone rang and would have been quite able to answer the phone. Although I knew the caller would probably be a particular paediatrician, and I wanted to speak to him about one of his patients, I did not pick up the phone but let Matt, my colleague do so. He then passed the call to me and I spoke to the doctor. Why didn't I answer the call?
In addition - the patient was not in the room with me. It was necessary for my purposes that Matt said something specific other than just - 'Hi, I'll pass you over'. By letting Matt answer I was giving (ish) the caller information about myself. Doctor/patient confidentiality is relevant. I had done something relevant just prior to the call.
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Matt tell the caller what you were doing? what you had just done?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 812
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Matt tell the caller what you were doing? no what you had just done? no
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that the specialty of the caller was pediatrics (and that therefore his patients would be legal minors)?

Did Matt somehow prove that this patient was one of your patients, and that therefore you were authorized to hear confidential information about that patient?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 813
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that the specialty of the caller was pediatrics (and that therefore his patients would be legal minors)? no

Did Matt somehow prove that this patient was one of your patients, and that therefore you were authorized to hear confidential information about that patient?very close... except this wasn't my patient. But you're nearly there
Bodo (Bodo)

Post Number: 2515
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt answered with a standard sort of office-greeting (e. g. "Kdoc's office, Matt speaking, how may I help you?", that sort of thing)? And you felt that would reassure? Convince? Let the other doctor know you were "real"?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 814
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt answered with a standard sort of office-greeting (e. g. "Kdoc's office, Matt speaking, how may I help you?", that sort of thing)? yes And you felt that would reassure? yes Convince? Let the other doctor know you were "real"? yes

That's most of it - but what was the beginning of the transaction - what had gone on just before?
Mimino (Mimino)
Username: Mimino

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You had called the other doctor before? and asked about some details of his patient? and he was not sure about your identity? so he asked for your phone number to call you back?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 815
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You had called the other doctor before? yesand asked about some details of his patient? yes and he was not sure about your identity? yes so he asked for your phone number to call you back? yes

*****Spoiler*********. I needed to get details of a patient for legitimate professional reasons so I rang the paediatrician to ask him. I gave him the phone number of my office so that he could verify who I was. When the phone rang a few minutes later I thought it would probably be him. since he was ringing the number I had given him I reasoned that it would be pretty pointless just picking up the phone myslef as he would have gained nothing. By getting Matt, my colleague, to answer the phone as he normally would, giving the name of our organisation in a professional way, I hoped to reassure the paediatrician that I was a legitimate healthcare professional.

Thanks for playing - I'll probably go back into lurking mode now but it's been fun!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: