[Rcs] Alarming Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2009 » [Rcs] Alarming « Previous Next »

Rcs (Rcs)
Username: Rcs

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an alarm set to go off every morning (on weekdays) at 11:45 AM. However, I don't normally get up at 11:45, nor is there anything special I do or anywhere I go at that time that I would need a reminder of. In fact, when the alarm goes off every day, I simply shut it off and go back to doing whatever I was doing before it went off.

Why, then, do I set it?
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it for someone else? Anything particularly relevant about the alarm? Regular alarm clock?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it scare away the albatrosses?
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yah, but the penguins kinda like it...
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it for someone else? No, it's for me. Anything particularly relevant about the alarm? Just that it goes off at 11:45 AM every weekday. Regular alarm clock? Cell phone, actually, but I use it as an alarm clock.

Does it scare away the albatrosses? No.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you doing an experiment where you record what you are doing at that time every weekday and then analyze the results later?

Are you always in the same place when the alarm goes off? always engaged in the same activity?

Could you potentially accomplish the same thing by setting the alarm to go off at another time, say at 1:15 PM, as long as it was consistently the same time every day?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As another possibility I forgot to mention: Are you testing whether the alarm clock remains synchronized to some other clock, to see how well it keeps time?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you doing an experiment where you record what you are doing at that time every weekday and then analyze the results later? No.

Are you always in the same place when the alarm goes off? No. always engaged in the same activity? No.

Could you potentially accomplish the same thing by setting the alarm to go off at another time, say at 1:15 PM, as long as it was consistently the same time every day? No. There IS something significant about 11:45 AM, despite the fact that I don't do anything other than turn the alarm off.

As another possibility I forgot to mention: Are you testing whether the alarm clock remains synchronized to some other clock, to see how well it keeps time? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you set it yourself?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you set it yourself? Yes.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you set it for someone else?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you set it for someone else? No, I set it for me.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you need it to remind you of something?
Or for you to do something?

Do you do anything as a result of the alarm going off? If so, immediately? Or later? (Like: I am so absorbed in my work that I must set the alarm not to forget to have my lunch?)
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you need it to remind you of something? Yesish.
Or for you to do something? Yesish.

Do you do anything as a result of the alarm going off? Yes. If so, immediately? This one. Or later? (Like: I am so absorbed in my work that I must set the alarm not to forget to have my lunch?) But not this.
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a little confused. In the statement you say there is nothing special you do when the alarm goes off, then you say you do something as a result of the alarm going off. Which is it?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a little confused. In the statement you say there is nothing special you do when the alarm goes off, then you say you do something as a result of the alarm going off. Which is it? There is something I do, but it's very subtle, and I do it as I turn the alarm off. I hope that doesn't give too much away. Sorry about the confusion.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you take medicine?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you take medicine? Not when the alarm goes off.
Martinfg (Martinfg)

Post Number: 626
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you check the time?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you check the time? No, I know what the time is (it's the same time every morning), but I do check something else.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you check to see if you still have a pulse?
Sollen (Sollen)
Username: Sollen

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you confirm that something has happened? do you confirm that something hasn't happened?

do you do a physical activity? or something more mental?

does the act of stoping the alarm server to do something else? since the alrm is in your cell phone does it cause you to check your phone for calls? turn the volume down on your phone?

does this work just as well if the alarm wasn't on your cell?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you confirm that something has happened? do you confirm that something hasn't happened? This is closest.

do you do a physical activity? This is closest. or something more mental?

does the act of stoping the alarm server to do something else? Essentially since the alrm is in your cell phone does it cause you to check your phone for calls? No, but somewhat OTRT. Explore. turn the volume down on your phone? No.

does this work just as well if the alarm wasn't on your cell? It would work on some regular alarm clocks, but only ones with a certain feature that my cell phone alarm also has.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it have to be audible to serve this purpose? Or could you have it vibrate, assuming you would be able to feel it?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it have to be audible to serve this purpose? Or could you have it vibrate, assuming you would be able to feel it? If I could feel it, it could work, but in the situation where I would actually use the alarm, I wouldn't want to keep a phone in my pocket.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would this be for comfort? Because you would be coming into contact with flammable fluids? Would there risk of damage to the phone? Are you usually streaking at the time?

The certain feature is...
(checks own alarm clock for features)
The ability to have it repeat each weekday at the same time?
The ability to choose what style of alarm you would like?
The ability to have a buzzer? or some radio station?
Snooze?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would this be for comfort? Essentially. Because you would be coming into contact with flammable fluids? Would there risk of damage to the phone? Are you usually streaking at the time? No to rest.

The certain feature is...
(checks own alarm clock for features)
The ability to have it repeat each weekday at the same time? This is one such feature, although not the one I was thinking of when I wrote that clue.
The ability to choose what style of alarm you would like?
The ability to have a buzzer? or some radio station?
Snooze? No to rest. There's another significant feature that you haven't mentioned yet.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... I guess my alarm doesn't have it?

Is there a significant reason why you only do this on weekdays? Are weekends not "gangstah" enough?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... I guess my alarm doesn't have it? Most cell phone alarms do. Keep trying.

Is there a significant reason why you only do this on weekdays? Semi-significant, yes. Are weekends not "gangstah" enough? No, that's not it.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... I guess I'll have to check my ghetto "cell phone".
Select? Back? New Entry? Datebook? Go to Today? Setup? Event detail? Start time? Duration? Date? Repeat? Alarm? 1 hour before? Custom? Calculator? Exchange rate? Stop watch? (I don't even think these are related to the alarm anymore. Oh well...) Lantern? Fixed dial? Service dial? Wallpaper? Screen saver? Ring styles? alert? Loud ring? Soft ring? Vibrate? Vibrate then ring? Silent?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... I guess I'll have to check my ghetto "cell phone".
Select? Back? New Entry? Datebook? Go to Today? Setup? Event detail? Start time? Duration? Date? Repeat? Alarm? 1 hour before? Custom? Calculator? Exchange rate? Stop watch? (I don't even think these are related to the alarm anymore. Oh well...) Lantern? Fixed dial? Service dial? Wallpaper? Screen saver? Ring styles? alert? Loud ring? Soft ring? Vibrate? Vibrate then ring? Silent? I'm sorry to say, it's none of these. It's not really a "feature" in that sense. It's actually something very simple--probably something that many people would take for granted on a cell phone with an alarm. Some regular alarm clocks have it as well, although there are many that don't.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Synchronization with an atomic clock?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Synchronization with an atomic clock? No. The feature specifically has to do with the ALARM part of the phone.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using a variable pitch? Volume? Automatically adjusting to the frequency of any sound waves currently in the vicinity in order to cancel the waves out with inverse waves? Different frequency waves?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you utilize this feature? Before the alarm goes off? When it goes off? When you turn it off? Afterwards? Does my alarm clock have this feature? Would this feature be the key selling point in an alarm clock? If it didn't have this feature, it would not fulfill the purpose that is currently fulfilled by your cell phone alarm now? Does a Swiss Army Knife have this feature?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using a variable pitch? Volume? Automatically adjusting to the frequency of any sound waves currently in the vicinity in order to cancel the waves out with inverse waves? Different frequency waves? None of these. It's MUCH simpler than this.

Do you utilize this feature? Yes. Before the alarm goes off? This one. When it goes off? When you turn it off? Afterwards? Does my alarm clock have this feature? I'd have to see your alarm clock to know. Would this feature be the key selling point in an alarm clock? No. It's not even that special, really. If it didn't have this feature, it would not fulfill the purpose that is currently fulfilled by your cell phone alarm now? I could still use it for MOST of what I do with the phone alarm, but there are certain things I couldn't do, and I WOULDN'T set the 11:45 alarm as referenced in the puzzle statement. Does a Swiss Army Knife have this feature? No.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it didn't have this feature, would you set it for 1:15 PM?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it didn't have this feature, would you set it for 1:15 PM? I would set it for any of various other times, depending on the day of the week. But I would do that anyway.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anyway?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anyway? I would have an alarm set for the other time AND one set for 11:45 AM (this is the crucial feature, by the way: the ability to have multiple alarms set simultaneously).
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Now you know multiple alarms are involved. Try and figure out WHY I would have more than one alarm set and how that relates to the 11:45 AM alarm.
Vagary (Vagary)
Username: Vagary

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are you diabetic and check your blood sugar?
another medical condition?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are you diabetic and check your blood sugar? No.
another medical condition? Nothing like that.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the other alarms are related to this puzzle as well?

I guess I was assuming just that you had one alarm for the "normal" purpose of waking you up, and then the 11:45 alarm for the puzzle-worthy purpose, and that the relevance of the multi-alarm feature was just to spare you the inconvenience of changing the alarm setting twice a day.
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the other alarms are related to this puzzle as well? Yes.

I guess I was assuming just that you had one alarm for the "normal" purpose of waking you up, and then the 11:45 alarm for the puzzle-worthy purpose, and that the relevance of the multi-alarm feature was just to spare you the inconvenience of changing the alarm setting twice a day. Yope. I would not set the 11:45 alarm AT ALL if I could not have it and the other alarm set simultaneously. I would have no reason to.
Martinfg (Martinfg)

Post Number: 630
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do both the alarms sound at the same time? Is the noise they make relevant?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do both the alarms sound at the same time? No. Is the noise they make relevant? No.
Martinfg (Martinfg)

Post Number: 631
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant what time the other alarm is set for?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant what time the other alarm is set for? Yesish.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other alarm set for a time before this one? After?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other alarm set for a time before this one? Sometimes. After? Sometimes, but this is the one that's significant.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you perform a relevant action for the duration of time between the first and second alarms? avoid performing an action?

Is the second alarm always at the same time of day?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you perform a relevant action for the duration of time between the first and second alarms? Yope. avoid performing an action? Noish.

Is the second alarm always at the same time of day? No, but the first alarm is only useful when the second alarm is later than the first.
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Look back at my post made on November 21 at 11:10 AM, and think about what my answers in that post could mean in light of what you now know about the multiple alarms.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you accomplish whatever you do when you turn the 11:45 AM alarm off without actually turning the alarm off? Or is turning the alarm off a necessary prerequisite?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you accomplish whatever you do when you turn the 11:45 AM alarm off without actually turning the alarm off? No. Or is turning the alarm off a necessary prerequisite? Yes it is, but don't jump to too many conclusions there.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one weekday your 11:45 AM malfunctioned and never sounded, would you be greatly upset? Would you lose a lot of money? Get injured? Die?
What if the 11:45 alarm actually sounded at 11:44? 11:46? 12:00 PM?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 272
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one weekday your 11:45 AM malfunctioned and never sounded, would you be greatly upset? Not unless another thing also went wrong. Would you lose a lot of money? No. Get injured? No. Die? No.
What if the 11:45 alarm actually sounded at 11:44? Exactly the same. 11:46? Likewise.12:00 PM? Ditto, but there's a reason I would prefer to set the alarm for 11:45 than for noon (but it's not hugely relevant to the puzzle, so don't get fixated on it.)
Martinfg (Martinfg)

Post Number: 634
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you ensuring the battery is charged?
Martinfg (Martinfg)

Post Number: 635
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is snooze relevant?
Martinfg (Martinfg)

Post Number: 636
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that the display also lights up?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you ensuring the battery is charged? No, but good thinking.

Is snooze relevant? No.

Is it relevant that the display also lights up? No.

HINT: Figure out the reason why I have the OTHER alarm set.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the other alarm sounds, do you:
perform one or more momentary actions (e.g. check email, open a window)?
begin to perform an ongoing action (e.g. tune in to listen to a particular radio program)?
stop performing an ongoing action?

Is the fact that these are audible alarms relevant? In other words, would it work if you were at your computer and you had somehow set a window to pop up on the screen at 11:45 and the other time?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the other alarm sounds, do you:
perform one or more momentary actions (e.g. check email, open a window) Yes, but not one of the ones you listed.
begin to perform an ongoing action (e.g. tune in to listen to a particular radio program)? Yope. Normally, I resume doing whatever ongoing action I was doing before the alarm went off, as soon as I've finished my momentary action.
stop performing an ongoing action? No.

Is the fact that these are audible alarms relevant? Yes. In other words, would it work if you were at your computer and you had somehow set a window to pop up on the screen at 11:45 and the other time? No. I wouldn't BE at my computer, so this wouldn't work.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you perform the same momentary action at each alarm?

Is the action at the later alarm physical? purely mental (e.g. taking note of something about your surroundings)?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you perform the same momentary action at each alarm? Only if the second alarm is LATER than the first.

Is the action at the later alarm physical? This one, but see above: The second alarm is not ALWAYS later than 11:45; usually it's earlier. purely mental (e.g. taking note of something about your surroundings)? No.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the second alarm is later, is it because you intentionally set it to be so? or is the second alarm set somehow to sound at random? (I ask because you always describe the time of the alarm passively, as if it just happens to be later on some days than on others).

Assuming you set the second alarm on purpose to be later on some days and earlier on others, does the 11:45 alarm serve ANY purpose on those days when you set the second alarm to be earlier?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the second alarm is later, is it because you intentionally set it to be so? Yes. or is the second alarm set somehow to sound at random? No. (I ask because you always describe the time of the alarm passively, as if it just happens to be later on some days than on others). There's a reason I set it at different times on different days. Explore.

Assuming you set the second alarm on purpose to be later on some days and earlier on others, does the 11:45 alarm serve ANY purpose on those days when you set the second alarm to be earlier? NO, good question! It's ONLY useful when the second alarm is LATER than the first.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As for the reason you set the alarm at different times:
Is it always the same time on a given day of the week (i.e. at one particular time each Monday, another time each Tuesday, etc.)?
Do you set it earlier or later than the other based on having or not having a particular task to do that day?

When the 11:45 alarm is LATER than the other alarm (and therefore serves no purpose), do you still have it set just because you are too lazy to change the setting?

On a more general note, does the purpose of these alarms relate to your profession? to an obligation to or meeting with another person (e.g. family, friend)? to a matter of entirely personal interest?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 282
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As for the reason you set the alarm at different times:
Is it always the same time on a given day of the week (i.e. at one particular time each Monday, another time each Tuesday, etc.)? Most of the time (not always, but don't get too worked up about the exceptions).
Do you set it earlier or later than the other based on having or not having a particular task to do that day? Yesish.

When the 11:45 alarm is LATER than the other alarm (and therefore serves no purpose), do you still have it set just because you are too lazy to change the setting? Yope.

On a more general note, does the purpose of these alarms relate to your profession? to an obligation to or meeting with another person (e.g. family, friend)? to a matter of entirely personal interest? It's an obligation, but not one of these.
Martinfg (Martinfg)

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are weekends relevant?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are weekends relevant? No, except for the fact that I don't set either of my alarms for the weekened, as I only have the obligation I set them for during the week.
Racoonieboy (Racoonieboy)
Username: Racoonieboy

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fact that it's a cell phone relevant?

It reminds you of something... Do you have to reserve something? or... do you do it to remind you to wake up? Or... like to call something?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fact that it's a cell phone relevant? Only in that most cell phones can set multiple alarms, while most regular alarm clocks can't.

It reminds you of something... Do you have to reserve something? or... do you do it to remind you to wake up? This is closest, but there's a big piece you don't have yet. Or... like to call something?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you have been able to fulfill your obligation if you lived in the age before alarm clocks?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you have been able to fulfill your obligation if you lived in the age before alarm clocks? I have no idea!
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm stuck.
Buzzard (Buzzard)
Username: Buzzard

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said that in the situation when you would use the alarm, you wouldn't want to have the phone in your pocket. Is this worth exploring? Does it mean that on the days when the non-11:45 alarm is later than 11:45, you never have the phone in your pocket at 11:45?

is it worth exploring why you would not want to have the phone in your pocket? Because you are wearing clothing without pockets? with small pockets? Because your pockets are full of other things?

is it worth exploring where the phone is instead? Is it in a bag you are carrying?

Are you always doing the same thing at 11:45 on weekdays? Are you always doing the same thing at 11:45 on days when the non-11:45 alarm is later than 11:45?

If yes to either of the previous two questions: are you indoors? outdoors? in a vehicle? sitting? standing? walking? running? lying down? working? playing? resting? interacting with other people?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said that in the situation when you would use the alarm, you wouldn't want to have the phone in your pocket. Is this worth exploring? Yes. Does it mean that on the days when the non-11:45 alarm is later than 11:45, you never have the phone in your pocket at 11:45? Yes it does.

is it worth exploring why you would not want to have the phone in your pocket? Yes. Because you are wearing clothing without pockets? with small pockets? Because your pockets are full of other things? No or noish to these, but OTRT.

is it worth exploring where the phone is instead? Not exactly; it's only worth exploring what I'm doing at the time; that should make it clear why I wouldn't want the phone in my pocket. Is it in a bag you are carrying? No.

Are you always doing the same thing at 11:45 on weekdays? No. It depends (as much else does in this puzzle) on whether the other alarm is earlier or later). Are you always doing the same thing at 11:45 on days when the non-11:45 alarm is later than 11:45? Yes.

If yes to either of the previous two questions: are you indoors? This one. outdoors? in a vehicle? sitting? standing? walking? running? lying down? This one. working? playing? resting? And this one. interacting with other people?
Buzzard (Buzzard)

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indoors, lying down, resting - are you sleeping? reading? meditating? just lying there?

To turn the alarm off from that position, do you sit up? stand up? roll over?

The reason you would not want to have the phone in your pocket: because it's not comfortable to lie down when you have a bunch of stuff in your pockets?

This obligation for which you set the other alarm: Is it exactly the same thing every day (albeit at different times)? Is it school-related? food-related? health-related? money-related? religion-related? Does it involve calling someone? interacting with anyone? Does it involve any non-human animals? If you neglected your obligation one day, would anyone else notice?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indoors, lying down, resting - are you sleeping? This one. reading? meditating? just lying there?

To turn the alarm off from that position, do you sit up? stand up? roll over? This one, usually, but not particularly relevant.

The reason you would not want to have the phone in your pocket: because it's not comfortable to lie down when you have a bunch of stuff in your pockets? Essentially, yes.

This obligation for which you set the other alarm: Is it exactly the same thing every day (albeit at different times)? Yes. Is it school-related? This one. food-related? health-related? money-related? religion-related? Does it involve calling someone? interacting with anyone? Yesish to this one, too. Does it involve any non-human animals? If you neglected your obligation one day, would anyone else notice? Yes.
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you set the second alarm to coincide with your class times?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you set the second alarm to coincide with your class times? Yesish. The second alarm is usually set to about 45 minutes before my first class of the day, whatever time that happens to be.
Kaygee (Kaygee)

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the 11:45am alarm is set to wake you up (if you are not already up due to a morning class) so that you can do "something", right? Does this involve another person in your home?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the 11:45am alarm is set to wake you up (if you are not already up due to a morning class) so that you can do "something", right? Does this involve another person in your home? I set the alarm so I can get up to go to class. I set it about 45 minutes before class to allow time to get ready. If it's a morning class, I the alarm for sometime before 11:45; if it's an afternoon class, I set the alarm for sometime after 11:45 (and yes, I do frequently sleep past noon if I don't have a morning class). The 11:45 alarm is never set to wake me up; if it rings while I'm still in bed, I turn it off, go back to sleep, and wait for the other alarm to wake me. (By the way, I'm not at home when this happens; I'm in a college dorm.) Hope this clears things up!
Kaygee (Kaygee)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. That is a heck of Yes/No answer. :-]
Actually, I wasn't indicating that the 11:45 alarm was designed to get you up - only to wake you up. Surely it takes some level of conscious thought to roll over and turn off the alarm. We are trying to determine "why" you set the 11:45 alarm in the first place, right?

Do you do or think about anything else other than turning the alarm off?
Buzzard (Buzzard)

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When they sent you away to college, did your parents make you promise that would would wake up before noon?

On a day when you do not have a morning class, are there ever any circumstances under which you would react to the 11:45 alarm in a way other than you have just described? For example: The cafeteria stops serving breakfast at noon. When the 11:45 alarm wakes you, if you're hungry, you can go get some breakfast, but if not, you can go back to sleep.
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. That is a heck of Yes/No answer. :-]
Actually, I wasn't indicating that the 11:45 alarm was designed to get you up - only to wake you up. Oh. Yes it is intended to "wake me up" in that sense. Surely it takes some level of conscious thought to roll over and turn off the alarm. We are trying to determine "why" you set the 11:45 alarm in the first place, right? Yes to all.

Do you do or think about anything else other than turning the alarm off? Yes, but it's something very subtle.

When they sent you away to college, did your parents make you promise that would would wake up before noon? No, that's not it.

On a day when you do not have a morning class, are there ever any circumstances under which you would react to the 11:45 alarm in a way other than you have just described? For example: The cafeteria stops serving breakfast at noon. When the 11:45 alarm wakes you, if you're hungry, you can go get some breakfast, but if not, you can go back to sleep. Noish.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a roommate involved? Does he need to be woken up at a particular time?

As an aside, I am currently sharing a room in an apartment with another student, and he sets his alarm clock for various times between 9:00 and 11:00 AM. He rarely gets up until several hours later, but it wakes me up, and even more annoyingly, he is such a deep sleeper that it often takes the alarm sounding 3 or more times before he shuts it off. My living situation is too temporary for me to really get on his case, though, even though I have respectfully pointed it out.
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a roommate involved? Does he need to be woken up at a particular time? No to all.

As an aside, I am currently sharing a room in an apartment with another student, and he sets his alarm clock for various times between 9:00 and 11:00 AM. He rarely gets up until several hours later, but it wakes me up, and even more annoyingly, he is such a deep sleeper that it often takes the alarm sounding 3 or more times before he shuts it off. My living situation is too temporary for me to really get on his case, though, even though I have respectfully pointed it out. Nice idea, but no.

HINT: It's the second alarm--the one that gets me up for class--that's really important here. Everything I do is aimed toward making sure I don't miss my class. And most of the time I don't even think about the 11:45 alarm; it's only really relevant in special circumstances.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The second paragraph wasn't an attempted solution, it was a comment on a real-life circumstance. That's why it was posted as an aside. I didn't think the super-logical people on this forum would be setting meaningless alarms that woke up people who didn't want to be woken up!

Going back to the puzzle, is it relevant that 11:45 is around the time it changes from AM to PM? Does the clock have both 12 and 24 hour settings, so when you set it you're not sure whether you are setting it to (for instance) 1 PM or 1 AM?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Going back to the puzzle, is it relevant that 11:45 is around the time it changes from AM to PM? YES!!! Does the clock have both 12 and 24 hour settings, so when you set it you're not sure whether you are setting it to (for instance) 1 PM or 1 AM? It's not quite for the reason you described, but yes, it's easy to accidentally set an alarm for AM instead of PM, and that's important to the puzzle.

You're actually REALLY close. Now put all the pieces together.
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've essentially got the important parts of this puzzle, so I'm going to go ahead and give the

*********************SPOILER*********************

I'm a college freshman living in the dorm right now, and I use the alarm feature of my cell phone to wake up for class every day. I'm also a MAJOR night owl, so I'm often up well past midnight studying/doing homework and have to get up for class the next day on minimal sleep. For that reason, I usually set my alarm to go off about 45 minutes before my first class of the day so I can get as much sleep as I can in the morning before I rush off to class (usually without breakfast). I even follow this practice with afternoon classes in order to catch up on sleep.

The problem is, there are two annoying features of my phone that make it awkward to follow this plan. The first is simply that I can't set an alarm to go off at a certain time every Tuesday, say; I can only set recurring alarms for all weekdays, all weekends, or every day. Since my classes are at different times every day, that means I have to set each alarm individually the night before. Therein lies the second problem; if I'm trying to set an alarm for something like 1:30 PM (which I would on a day when I had only my afternoon class), it's very easy to set it for 1:30 AM instead (especially if you're tired and groggy when you're trying to set the alarm!). I made this mistake a couple of times, oversleeping several classes in the process, before I realized the precaution I could take.

I added a second alarm to the phone, this one programmed to go off every weekday at 11:45 AM. On days when I had morning classes, the alarm would go off between classes, and I would simply turn it off (I picked 11:45, by the way, because the way my schedule worked, it was always either right before or right after a class, never during one). On days when I had only an afternoon class (or when I chose to skip my morning class--after an all-nighter or something), the alarm would go off while I was still in bed, and when it did, I would pick up the phone, turn it off, CHECK TO SEE IF THE OTHER ALARM WAS SET CORRECTLY (this is the subtle action I do when the alarm goes off), then go back to sleep. This safeguard enabled me to be sure I wasn't going to oversleep class by setting my wake-up alarm incorrectly.

By the way, all of this is no longer current, because my semester ended, and in my new term I now have class at the same time every day. So the 11:45 alarm, alas, is no more. But it still makes for a great puzzle!

Thanks, everybody for playing!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: