[Vagary] - Eazy One #2 - Inhale. Exha... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2008 » [Vagary] - Eazy One #2 - Inhale. Exhale. Enjoy. « Previous Next »

Vagary (Vagary)
Username: Vagary

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See the first Eazy One here: http://www.lateralpuzzles.com/discus/messages/14243/19267.html?1227535922
I return with another Eazy One. I'll only answer FIVE questions. They can be multi-part questions, and I will elaborate on answers based on the relevance of the question. Enjoi.

It usually works after a few good lung-fuls and some perseverance.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I refuse to be the first one to ask a question. I would probably ask something like, "Are you smoking crack?" I suggest that Woubit ask the first question.
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fair enough. Head to #1, then, and be the fourth question ;)
Scood (Scood)
Username: Scood

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it reffering to a sport?
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#1:

is it reffering to a sport?
No; but, it is an activity, though considerably less physical.
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D_Gordon has got this one already, a few more questions should do it for anyone else.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the following biological processes, pathways, etc. relevant, and are birds relevant, and does it refer to a tangible object, and are you smoking crack, and does this only work [insert LTPF list of prepositions] humans, and is biochemistry relevant, and does "good" mean "the opposite of evil", and are the lung-fuls lungfuls of air, and is "it" a man-made machine, and is "it" an essential organ, and could this happen in real life, and FYOI, and works = operates properly, and how many people are relevant [insert LTPF list of positive integers], and are all parties alive by the end of this puzzle, and does he/she/it/they have any kind of impairments, and would this be true across the world, and would this be true in only certain geographic areas, and would this be true for all objects in the set, and would it be true of a set of all objects that are already in two or more sets, and what is love, and are albatrosses relevant, and is this based on science fiction, and is this based on a movie, and is this based on a video game, and is technology relevant, and is Wikipedia relevant, and is email relevant, and is the Republic of Georgia relevant, and is dry ice relevant, and H, and A, and M, and relevant, and UK relevant, and irony relevant, and automated computer processes relevant, and was there any misheard statements concerning vampires and chairs, and could the Greeks have known this, and is it really pretty terrible, and drunken Irishmen relevant, and is "Blowin' in the Wind" relevant, and were his pants accessible, and would this only be true of Israel, and is heresy relevant, and THE COMFY CHAIR or THE SOFT PILLOW or THE RACK relevant, and do psychic spies from China try to steal one's mind's elation?

* Afterhyperpolarization
* Autolysis
* Autophagin
* Autophagy
* Autophagy network
* CDK7 pathway
* Cap formation
* Cell cycle
* Cell division
* Cell growth
* Cell migration
* Cellular differentiation
* Chromosomal crossover
* Coagulative necrosis
* Cytoplasmic streaming
* DNA repair
* Density-dependent inhibition
* Dentinogenesis
* Dynamin
* ERAD
* Endocytic cycle
* Endocytosis
* Exocytosis
* Filamentation
* Formins
* Genetic recombination
* Histone methylation
* Intraflagellar transport
* Invagination
* Karyolysis
* Karyorrhexis
* Macropinocytosis
* Meiosis
* Mitotic crossover
* Necrosis
* Non-specific, adsorptive pinocytosis
* Passive transport
* Phagocytosis
* Pinocytosis
* Pyknosis
* Rap6
* Receptor-mediated endocytosis
* Residual body
* Secretory pathway
* Septins
* Site-specific recombination
* Transcytosis
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The previous question (it is even?) has been mostly unread and ignored, due to inanity, legibility, and general douchebaggery.

Please keep it short(er!), this is an easy one.
D_gordon (D_gordon)
Username: D_gordon

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope Vagary will not object to me disclosing that the comfy chair and the soft pillows are not relevant, that psychic spies from China do try to steal your mind's elation, and that love is baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more, although that's not a yes or no question.

Oh, and albatrosses are not relevant.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The following is one question with multiple parts:

1) Are any of the following biological processes, pathways, etc. relevant, and

2) are birds relevant, and

3) does it refer to a tangible object, and

4) are you smoking crack, and

5) does this only work [insert LTPF list of prepositions] humans, and

6) is biochemistry relevant, and

7) does "good" mean "the opposite of evil", and

8) are the lung-fuls lungfuls of air or some other fluid, and

9)is "it" a man-made machine, and

10) is "it" an essential organ, and

11) could this happen in real life, and

12) FYOI, and

13) works = operates properly, and

14) how many people are relevant [insert LTPF list of positive integers], and

15) are all parties alive by the end of this puzzle, and

16) does he/she/it/they have any kind of impairments, and

17)would this be true across the world, and

18) would this be true in only certain geographic areas, and

19) would this be true for all objects in the set, and

20) would it be true of a set of all objects that are already in two or more sets, and

21) is this based on science fiction, and

22) is this based on a movie, and

23) is this based on a video game, and

24) is technology relevant, and

25) is Wikipedia relevant, and

26) is email relevant, and

27) is the Republic of Georgia relevant, and

28) is dry ice relevant, and

29) H, and

30) A, and

31) M, and

32) relevant, and

33) UK relevant, and

34) irony relevant, and

35) automated computer processes relevant, and

36) was there any misheard statements concerning vampires and chairs, and

37) could the Greeks have known this, and

38) is it really pretty terrible, and

39) drunken Irishmen relevant, and

40) is "Blowin' in the Wind" relevant, and

41) were his pants accessible, and

42) would this only be true of Israel, and

43) is heresy relevant, and

44) is THE RACK relevant, and

45) is the puzzle statement a quote by one of the characters relevant to the puzzle?

[List of Biological Processes, Pathways, etc.]
* Afterhyperpolarization
* Autolysis
* Autophagin
* Autophagy
* Autophagy network
* CDK7 pathway
* Cap formation
* Cell cycle
* Cell division
* Cell growth
* Cell migration
* Cellular differentiation
* Chromosomal crossover
* Coagulative necrosis
* Cytoplasmic streaming
* DNA repair
* Density-dependent inhibition
* Dentinogenesis
* Dynamin
* ERAD
* Endocytic cycle
* Endocytosis
* Exocytosis
* Filamentation
* Formins
* Genetic recombination
* Histone methylation
* Intraflagellar transport
* Invagination
* Karyolysis
* Karyorrhexis
* Macropinocytosis
* Meiosis
* Mitotic crossover
* Necrosis
* Non-specific, adsorptive pinocytosis
* Passive transport
* Phagocytosis
* Pinocytosis
* Pyknosis
* Rap6
* Receptor-mediated endocytosis
* Residual body
* Secretory pathway
* Septins
* Site-specific recombination
* Transcytosis
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The previous question will be ignored, due to length, being that it defeats the purpose of the concept of this puzzle type.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the Republic of Georgia relevant?
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#2:

Is the Republic of Georgia relevant?
NO. Not at all, actually....and how you decided that was a relevant question in an easy puzzle with limited alloted questions is beyond me. Seems borderline trolling.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any kind of tangible object that could be filled with a fluid relevant?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The following is one question with multiple parts:"

What I'm wondering is, where did that list of biological processes come from? Seriously, that's the most random list of things from cell biology I've ever seen. It's the kind of thing that would be compiled by a computer listing common phrases in the titles of journal articles, without any sense of the relevance of the phrases to each other or anything else.
D_gordon (D_gordon)
Username: D_gordon

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"What I'm wondering is, where did that list of biological processes come from?"

My guess is Wikipedia, Biograd.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it doesn't relate to fermentation, than I have no idea which of those cellular processes/pathways/etc. would be relevant. Perhaps someone who actually understands cellular biology should as that question, if at all?
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#3:

Is any kind of tangible object that could be filled with a fluid relevant?

A tangible object is relevant, you usually hold it while performing this action. It it not looking to be 'filled'. The lung-fuls are air. Title is relevant, beware FA. Make questions relevant, please.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can I be expected to make sure all of my questions are relevant when questions pertaining to relevance could be regarded as irrelevant? I do have theories and purposes behind my questions, and it seems a bit pretentious to arbitrarily limit the number of questions that already can have one of two answers. By its very definition, a lateral thinking puzzle should have many different possible solutions, with one being selected for whatever reason. For example, the solution to Rcs's puzzle "The Romans couldn't have known" is only one of a potentially infinite number of solutions that could be justified for the puzzle statement: "Neither could Beethoven." Without knowledge of whether the statement was ironic, any possible answer, including things such as the solution to my "The Greeks Couldn't Have Known", "That cake is a lie", "That a former Soviet republic would be invaded", or even "AAAAAH?", could be thought to be a potential solution (the last of which is sometimes arbitrarily disregarded because it lacks a plainly obvious meaning without any relevant information, which seems to be counter to the purpose of Lateral Thinking Puzzles). An irrelevant question is that which does holds a theory which has been already refuted by some answers previously given. With just a puzzle statement, there are an infinite number of solutions. The goal in solving of such puzzles is to find yes or no questions that exclude as many theories as feasible. In keeping with the standard of refusing to answer questions which relate solely to a manner of communicated such solution, a typical question can only be expected to eliminate as much as half of the available possible solutions. This is augmented further by the potential for a rulebreaker to be presented as a regular puzzle, which would be insoluble by deduction alone. The elimination of the vast majority of these theories derives from assumptions, which may or may not be true (the fact that such truth exists is such an element). Most of the puzzles I favor penalizes rather than rewards such assumptions, so I may be biased in such a manner. I do not wish to argue philosophical points with you, and I do not wish to degrade you. But to place any less value to a question because it is out of the box (for example, the question pertaining to the Republic of Georgia [If one holds the assumption that a nation that represents a statistically small proportion of people relative to the entire earth will probably not be relevant to this puzzle, this can obviously be viewed as a "wasted" question, so to speak, as the answer of "no", which is already assumed to be true, eliminates a relatively few number of theories. However, if one supposes that because one would make such an assumption, there is as much potential for the Republic of Georgia to be relevant as for it to not be, the number of theories that can be excluded with an answer of "yes", which is a perfectly plausible possibility, such a vast number of theories will be displaced that the apparent cost in making such an inquisition would be trivial.]) I'm going to go ahead and interrupt myself right here, as I believe anything further is extraneous. Again, I apologize if this comes off sounding harsher than I had intended. All i wish to relate is this: Do not punish someone for thinking laterally when it is expected of her or him.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it blowing up one of those long balloons. I find I need more than several lungfuls to get one of them going?
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)
Username: Usmcfink

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because peter is taking a stab at it, I am wondering if I may be able to tack my questions on to his...working under the the assumption that that is incorrect, of course.

Not sure why nobody has asked, but...Are drugs relevant?

Is the enjoyment had primarily by the respirator, or is it primarily to bring about enjoyment for another? Is that which is being inhaled the standard mixture of gasses we call "air"? Is this generally regarded as legal?

Ok, I think that length is in keeping with the spirit of the puzzle.

In response to Doctapeppa: If we assume it to be true that at the onset of a puzzle there are "an infinite number of solutions," AND that a "typical question can only be expected to eliminate as much as half of the available possible solutions," wouldn't that make the puzzles unsolvable? After all, how much is half of infinity, or half of that? ;)

I think the point was simply that, with only five questions allowed, certain questions are more helpful than others, and questions that approach on being all-encompassing aren't in keeping with the spirit of the puzzle.
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Docta, I appreciate your clarification, and in response to that, I feel Usmcfink has said it best. In relation to the "eazy one" concept, some questions are much more helpful than others, and I just couldn't see a train of though in what seemed like a shot-in-the-dark question. On that note, d'you guys like the concept, or is it a lost cause? (Eazy one #1 is almost answered, I think) Thank you, though. Moving on..

Peter:

Is it blowing up one of those long balloons. I find I need more than several lungfuls to get one of them going?
No. The air you're using is not being used to fill anything, but serves to remove something.

Not sure why nobody has asked, but...Are drugs relevant? No.

Is the enjoyment had primarily by the respirator, or is it primarily to bring about enjoyment for another? Could be either, but the enjoyment is had not from the respirating, but after, when you get 'it' working.
Is that which is being inhaled the standard mixture of gasses we call "air"? Yeah.
Is this generally regarded as legal? Yes.

One more, guys; but you could probably get it already.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the idea. I think it takes us away from "carpet bombing" and encourages us to really think and ask smart questions. And, really, for anyone who doesn't like them, there are lots of puzzles up at any given time. Nobody is forcing anyone to do these =)
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am thinking that this something uses oxygen or wind to fuel it. My initial thoughts are something that provides heat, like a fire, or something that provides light, like a lantern. The fire seems to make sense with the inhale exhale...but that is more just to spark the tinder from coals. What else requires the movement of air, or air with an increased concentration of carbon dioxide? I wonder if a fan would work just as well. Ok, I'm just going to throw a couple questions out there since it has been a couple days.

Would a fan moving air work just as well? Would another combination of gasses work as well or better than exhaled air to start 'it'? Is the air used as a fuel? intended to propel something? is there a merit badge for this? =) does the average person make 'it' work frequently? at all in their lifetime?

Fingers crossed. Hope that narrows it a little further!
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only things I can think of involve siphons or outlandish theories related to fluid dynamics. It also seems that bagpipes are not relevant...
I thought this was supposed to be easy! :-]
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent an email asking about siphons before that post and it was incorrect, thus the other ideas. I am interested to see what Vagary responds to the questions I posed.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. You mean somebody else actually had an idea similar to mine? That's odd...
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hah, maybe you're not as odd as you think! Or maybe I'm odder than I think...what an odd thought. ;)
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're both odd, but why be normal?

#5 (Last one!):

Would a fan moving air work just as well? Probably not, because there's not enough concentrated velocity.
Would another combination of gasses work as well or better than exhaled air to start 'it'? Sure. Any high-velocity air in a small concentration would work; but I doubt anyone would take the time to do that when blowing hard is just as convenient.
Is the air used as a fuel? Nopers.
intended to propel something? See post on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 2:48 pm; the air is intended to remove something.
is there a merit badge for this? =) Haha, no.
does the average person make 'it' work frequently? Only those nostalgic.
at all in their lifetime? The average person? I could say yes, but not necessarily. Let's say those who were kids in the eighties or nineties probably would have.

That is for questions, guys. I'm open for guesses now. Remember, D_Gordon got it off the first question, it's not as complicated as you may think it is. Eazy One #1 is close to a solve, as well, remember!
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we have a finite number of guesses as well, or can I feel free to start proposing my theories?
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Throw out your theories if you want. Please make them relevant to the discussed material and not random. There will be little or no direction from me here on out, unless the FAs are terrible.

A $poil3r if you're right, or after a bunch of wrong guesses. Good luck, it shoudn't be too hard!
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a kazoo?
CPR?
Blowing on a piece of paper to get all of the parts of the eraser off?
Using an inhaler?
Blowing into a paper bag to control hyperventilation?
Blowing bubbles?
A pinwheel of some kind?
Self-induced vomiting?
Blowing through a straw?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it breathing deeply to remove the carbon dioxide from your lungs?
Is it inhaling helium?
Is it inhaling nitrous oxide?
Is it blowing on a house of cards to knock it down?
Is it blowing on a domino to knock it over?
Is it blowing out the candles on a birthday cake?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it doing some kind of bird call?
Is it blowing across the tops of containers of fluid in varying amounts resulting in various pitches of sound?
Is it blowing through a wet noodle to result in a disturbance of water?
Is it attempting to clean the spit valve on a saxophone?
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No. but I like the saxophone one (though it has nothing to do with the answer).
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it trying to remove the last of the lint from the dryer lint screen?
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh my goodness, is it as easy as bubbles?
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not bubbles (I hadn't thought of that. Good one.), though it's just as easy.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A blowgun? A whistle? Whistling?
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

now I've got bubbles on the mind and I'm thinking of blowing bubbles in my chocolate milk!

Which I wish I still did...
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..or strawberry milk.

Nothing so far. Hint\Recap: You're blowing in to the open end of something, not to fill it with air, but to use the velocity of the air to remove something. After doing this, you might be able to get it to work; you might have to do it again before it will work, though. Once working, it's an activity (though not a very physical one). Go nuts.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Blowin' in the Wind"?
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uuh..no.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

one of the pipes that bubbles? I can't think of anything except that which bubbles! On the up side, I now have a lot of examples of things that bubble now.
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Used for entertainment purposes. Rarely now, except for the nostalgic, but if you were young in the late 80's, or early 90's...
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you have blown out whatever needs to be removed, and the toy is working now, how long can it be made to work before you need to blow into it again? minutes? hours? days? longer? forever (i.e. you only need to blow once before the first use and never again)?
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we can't ask anymore questions =(
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It turns out that most of my theories involved former Soviet republics.
I was 0 years old in 1990. Perhaps I used the tangible item which causes "it" to work at some point after using air to remove something from something else.

I have an idea!

quote:

It usually works after a few good lung-fuls and some perseverance.

"It" = fireworks display

After one blows on the open end of a funnel to remove the air, which, in turn, knocks over the domino (that is standing upright), the domino knocks over another domino, and it causes a chain reaction that leads through the house. This in turn triggers the incredible machine from the board game "Mouse Trap". This, in turn, brings down the cage, which is hooked up somehow to some kind of fuse that is somehow hooked up to det chord. The det chord then ignites the fuses for the fireworks. The incredible "Mouse Trap" usually works after a few lungfuls against the domino, but it may require some perseverance, as one may have to look over the manual and make minor adjustments as necessary, not to mention re-setting up the chain of dominoes each time.

I really hope this is not incorrect, because if it is, I could probably have used it in a "spoof" series of puzzles I have planned for when/if anybody gets around to my current puzzles. (The first in this series was "The Greeks Couldn't Have Known.")
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This has gone on for a while, so if you want, there's a SPOILER right here. Don't click it if you'd like to keep guessing.

Thanks for playing, you guys, but I'm thinking everyone was holding some kind of FA. but, as I've said, D_Gordon got it off the first question, haha.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. I have don't know where that idea came from. Probably laziness. The first precaution issued by Nintendo pertaining to video cartridges is as follows:

quote:

Avoid touching the connectors with your fingers. Do not blow on them or allow them to get wet or dirty.

Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I apologize for my last post. I did some Google'ing and I guess this is pretty widespread. But I should have known that people who follow precautions are in the minority.
Vagary (Vagary)

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like you've never owned a NES. =)
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have. I have one somewhere. Super Mario 3 is the shizzle. But I don't remember trying to get the dust/etc. out by blowing. I think the manual said to wipe it with a sterile paper towel or something odd like that.
Usmcfink (Usmcfink)

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, as a 9-year-old, if my games weren't working I'd catch the 704 down to the hospital at Washington and VanBuren, then sweet talk the nurse in to giving me some sterile cleaning supplies. Because I had already spent all of my money I'd have to rob the homeless guy, who sits by the water fountain, to get his crack rocks. I'd turn those like tricks, make a quick buck, and be back in time to catch a quick round of The Legend of Zelda before dinner. Wish I'd thought of just blowing on it...

Good one, didn't know why I never caught on. I used to get so pissed why my games wouldn't work! Sorry I've been absent a while. Just finished with finals =)
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I figured I just had two handicapped Nintendo Entertainment Systems.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: