[Nimue] Good intentions will do you in Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2009 » [Nimue] Good intentions will do you in « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 3984
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In trying to reassure a religious student, I unintentionally disparaged my teaching. How come??
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because you are the absent-minded professor?
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 823
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you say you disparged your teaching do you mean that you seemed to imply that you were not a good teacher? that there was some fault with your method of teaching? or teaching ability? or did you seem to imply that something you taught was not actually so? did you appear to contradict yourself? did you appear to criticise another person? whom you held in regard?

was the reassurrance to do with the student's religion? were you trying not to seem to belittle his religious beliefs? were you trying to make an accomodation for them? for religious practice?

relevant what religion the student was? christian? jewish? islamic?
relevant what gender the student was? male?

did you say somethimg relevant? to the student? in front of others? relevant?

was the reassurrance to do with a piece of academic work? exams? grades? attendance?

did you say something like, "don't worry about not making the class tomorrow - you won't miss anything"?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3990
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 3984

Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
In trying to reassure a religious student, I unintentionally disparaged my teaching. How come??
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 1636

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:36 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Because you are the absent-minded professor? no
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 823

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 6:19 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
when you say you disparged your teaching do you mean that you seemed to imply that you were not a good teacher? yes that there was some fault with your method of teaching? not specifically or teaching ability? yesish or did you seem to imply that something you taught was not actually so no did you appear to contradict yourself? nodid you appear to criticise another person? whom you held in regard? no

was the reassurrance to do with the student's religion? yesish were you trying not to seem to belittle his religious beliefs? see next answer were you trying to make an accomodation for them? yesfor religious practice? yes

relevant what religion the student was? yopechristian? jewish? islamic? Well since I look Jewish & have a Jewish last name, Jewish works best if I'm the teacher
relevant what gender the student was? no male? irrel

did you say somethimg relevant? yes to the student? yesin front of others? yes relevant? Well, it meant I made a fool of myself on a larger scale

was the reassurrance to do with a piece of academic work? see next answer but two exams? no grades? noattendance? no

did you say something like, "don't worry about not making the class tomorrow - you won't miss anything"? Well, I said, "You won't miuss anything important."

********* SPOILER *************
When a student once asked me in class whether the class would meet on the Jewish High Holy Days, I said, "Yes, but don't worry if you can't come--you won't miss anything important." Of course he replied, "Well, you ought to know," & everyone in the class burst out laughing. So now I say, "You won't miss anything important that can't be made up." Here's another puzzle: why was this one so much easier that "Education and Poverty"? Whatever the answer, there's another new puzzle awaiting you at the bottom of the page.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: