[Doctapeppa] Bunz zah? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2009 » [Doctapeppa] Bunz zah? « Previous Next »

Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He never tasted anything like that before.
Oisin (Oisin)
Username: Oisin

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He H? A? M?
What is unprecedented: the nature of the taste itself; the object that is being tasted; or the manner of the tasting?
Has he tasted anything like that since?
Was he alone? in company?
And I assume he was not tasting albatross - we all know what that leads to.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Osin:

He H? Yope A? Noish M? Yes
What is unprecedented: the nature of the taste itself; the object that is being tasted; or the manner of the tasting? All of it, perhaps
Has he tasted anything like that since? Certainly
Was he alone? No in company? So to speak, yes
And I assume he was not tasting albatross - we all know what that leads to. He was not tasting albatross.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes and No to Human? Is he a half-human chimera? A cyborg? Once human and now something else? A vampire? An anthropomorphic personification?

Is this event fictional? FYOI? from a book? a comic? a film? a TV series?

Has he ever tasted anything before the event referred to in the puzzle?

Is the verb 'tasted' being used in the sense:
1. that he was experiencing a taste sensation, the like of which he had never met before? or
2. he was being tasted by something else, and he tasted different than he had before? or
3. Is this some weird event where he is both tasting and being tasted?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Yes and No to Human? Correct Is he a half-human chimera? Not quite A cyborg? No Once human and now something else? Noish A vampire? No An anthropomorphic personification? Nope

Is this event fictional? Yes FYOI? No from a book? This one a comic? a film? a TV series? And possibly this one to, but not originally

Has he ever tasted anything before the event referred to in the puzzle? I really cannot remember, but you may explore

Is the verb 'tasted' being used in the sense:
1. that he was experiencing a taste sensation, the like of which he had never met before? This one
or
2. he was being tasted by something else, and he tasted different than he had before? or
3. Is this some weird event where he is both tasting and being tasted?
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm - let us pursue the nature of the beast.

Is he in some way supernatural? superhuman? Is he a were-beast? Is he humanoid in form?
Does the verb 'taste' imply that he has a mouth? taste-buds? a need for sustenance in the form of food?
Is the object being tasted A? V? M?
Is it in its raw, unprepared form, or has it been prepared in some way? Has it been cooked?
If it has been prepared, did he prepare it? Was it prepared for him? Or was it prepared by another agent but not intended for him?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Hmm - let us pursue the nature of the beast. All right

Is he in some way supernatural? Not really superhuman? That seems to be subjective Is he a were-beast? Do you mean a man/beast? If so, I can only answer with yope. Is he humanoid in form? Sometimes
Does the verb 'taste' imply that he has a mouth? It may taste-buds? Likewise a need for sustenance in the form of food? This is quite possible
Is the object being tasted A? V? This one, I guess M?
Is it in its raw, unprepared form, or has it been prepared in some way? Yes Has it been cooked? Yes
If it has been prepared, did he prepare it? No Was it prepared for him? Yesish Or was it prepared by another agent but not intended for him? There was not a specific individual that the preparer had in mind.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK...
Is the moment of tasting a solitary event? a social event? a celebratory event?
Is the special nature of the meal being tasted:
a new ingredient; an enhanced sensory system; a changed sensory system; a new method of preparation; a new combination of ingredients
Or is the changing event something external to the food (love... love changes everything; it all tasted like ashes...)
and back to the nature of the beast: once non-human, now human? protean in form?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

OK...
Is the moment of tasting a solitary event? a social event? a celebratory event? I'm going to say no to all
Is the special nature of the meal being tasted:
a new ingredient; an enhanced sensory system; a changed sensory system; this one a new method of preparation; a new combination of ingredients
Or is the changing event something external to the food (love... love changes everything; it all tasted like ashes...)
and back to the nature of the beast: once non-human, now human? Yope protean in form? That may be a very accurate way of putting it, yes
D_gordon (D_gordon)
Username: D_gordon

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any infectious condition relevant? Genetic condition?

Are any comic books relevant?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D_gordon:

Is any infectious condition relevant? No Genetic condition? I wouldn't say that

Are any comic books relevant? Nope
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The place of tasting: on earth? on land? outdoors? in a building? in a cave? underground? in a box? with a fox? in a house? with a mouse? oops - sorry about that
The time of tasting: morning? midday? evening? night?
The number of other sentient beings present at the time of tasting: none? one? fewer than ten?
Is anyone else aware that the taster is undergoing a new experience?
Does the taster find the experience pleasurable? abhorrent? surprising? disgusting?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

The place of tasting: on earth? Yes on land? Probably something of that nature, yes outdoors? I don't think so in a building? If I remember correctly, this one in a cave? underground? in a box? with a fox? in a house? with a mouse? No to rest, I think oops - sorry about that
The time of tasting: morning? midday? evening? night? I don't remember! This is from a book that I read like a year ago, and all this information about this first tasting of the food in question is not relevant enough for me to try to research
The number of other sentient beings present at the time of tasting: none? No one? No fewer than ten? I don't believe so
Is anyone else aware that the taster is undergoing a new experience? Yes
Does the taster find the experience pleasurable? This one abhorrent? surprising? Probably this one too disgusting?
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The substance he is tasting - of relevance to the problem? Vegetable in nature - is it potato? root vegetable? grass? onion? [attach LPF list of vegetables, if allowed]
Is he humanoid in form at the time of tasting? Has he only recently adopted that form? discovered his protean nature?
Are the other beings present responsible for his present form? Are they awaiting his reaction as well?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The substance he is tasting - of relevance to the problem? Yesish Vegetable in nature - is it potato? Nope root vegetable? No grass? Yesish, but may mislead onion? No [attach LPF list of vegetables, if allowed] Cinnamon? Sugar? Some kind of grain? I don't know!
Is he humanoid in form at the time of tasting? Yes Has he only recently adopted that form? Yesish discovered his protean nature? No
Are the other beings present responsible for his present form? Yes Are they awaiting his reaction as well? Yope
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just realise I've been assuming something without checking...
Is the substance being tasted solid? liquid? alcoholic?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Just realise I've been assuming something without checking...
Is the substance being tasted solid? This liquid? Not really alcoholic? No
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's recap:
A protean being has changed shape into a humanoid form and has tasted a meal (vegetable, grass for svv of grass). This tastes pleasant (surprisingly pleasant?), and the taste sensation is unlike anything this being has tasted before. There are a number of other sentient beings present who are responsible for the current physical form of the protean being.

Is the protean being currently in human form?
Are the other beings present all of the same species as each other? as the protean being?
Are they responsible for his existence? Are they related to him? Do they know of his protean nature? If not, do they suspect that he is somehow different from them?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Let's recap:
A protean being has changed shape into a humanoid form and has tasted a meal (vegetable, grass for svv of grass). This tastes pleasant (surprisingly pleasant?), and the taste sensation is unlike anything this being has tasted before. There are a number of other sentient beings present who are responsible for the current physical form of the protean being. This being who is capable of changing forms, whom we shall call Max, has taken on a humanoid form and he tasted a food whose ingredients are probably derived from earth organism is kingdom Plantae. Among these plants are probably things such as sugar, cinnamon, and some type of grains/grasses. The special nature of this event is related to a different system of senses.

Is the protean being currently in human form? Yes
Are the other beings present all of the same species as each other? Yesish as the protean being? Yope
Are they responsible for his existence? No Are they related to him? Yesish, but may mislead Do they know of his protean nature? Some do If not, do they suspect that he is somehow different from them? The ones that don't probably think something is a tad strange about Max...
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm - cinnamon, sugar, and grains. Have the grains been ground into flour? Is any fruit involved? The title relevant? (Hot cross buns? Cinnamon buns?)
Or are we looking at a porridge? Scandinavian Christmas porridge?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Hmm - cinnamon, sugar, and grains. Have the grains been ground into flour? Is any fruit involved? The title relevant? Yes. (Hot cross buns? Cinnamon buns? This one. The lovely cinnamon-amon-amon a bunzuh. bunz. ah.)
Or are we looking at a porridge? Scandinavian Christmas porridge?
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that Hot Cross Buns were used to celebrate Lent? Is the beast affected by eating something "holy"? Relevant that for adult you put no-ish? Is this because the protean has no adult stage? That the one in question is a child, tween, or teenager? Was this the first time the protean was in a humanoid form? Was he *gasps* an Alien?
Time period relevant? Around the middle ages? 18th century? 19th century? 20th century? 21st century?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crazypalpig:

The following answers are to the best of my knowledge. D_Gordon may decide to assist me, though.
Relevant that Hot Cross Buns were used to celebrate Lent? No Is the beast affected by eating something "holy"? Not any more than eating anything else Relevant that for adult you put no-ish? That would assist you if you happened to have heard of the being this puzzle is about. Is this because the protean has no adult stage? No That the one in question is a child, tween, or teenager? Yesish Was this the first time the protean was in a humanoid form? Yope, for SVV of "humanoid" Was he *gasps* an Alien? *gasp* Yes!
Time period relevant? Yesish Around the middle ages? 18th century? 19th century? 20th century? This one 21st century?

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm that was my sarcastic guess. Oh well, I guess it works...

Radio relevant? Existing technologies in the 20th century relevant? Could this happen in any other century, or exclusively to the 20th?
Any Sci-fi films relevant?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crazypalpig:

Hmmm that was my sarcastic guess. Oh well, I guess it works... It usually does, with my puzzles...

Radio relevant? Not really Existing technologies in the 20th century relevant? A little bit Could this happen in any other century, or exclusively to the 20th? That is far too complicated for someone from my limited perspective to answer, but the events on Earth during this era are not really that relevant, except for the fact that the human population is significant. There are some other timelines at play here, but that would over complicate things unnecessarily. However, the process of making the food in question has improved since, well, the era before humans walked the earth.
Any Sci-fi films relevant? Not that I am aware of.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So: an alien being in recently (ish) acquired human form has tasted cinnamon buns for the first time. He is in company of other beings, among whom there are some who are aware of the alien's nature, and who are responsible for his having taken on human form.

Are these other beings human? Is the yesish to child because although he is of adult age as an alien, he has taken on the form of a human child? Or vice versa?

Is the remaining challenge to identify the book?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

So: an alien being in recently (ish) acquired human form has tasted cinnamon buns for the first time. He is in company of other beings, among whom there are some who are aware of the alien's nature, and who are responsible for his having taken on human form.

Are these other beings human? Yesish Is the yesish to child because although he is of adult age as an alien, he has taken on the form of a human child? Yope Or vice versa? Yope

Is the remaining challenge to identify the book? I believe there are still a few things left for you to discover about these other yesish humans and their relation with Max.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the tasting of the cinnamon roll a significant event in itself for the alien? the other beings? are they gathered together to eat? is this an organised gathering of any nature? is this some sort of test for the alien?

Alien: how did he arrive at this place (is it on Earth?) by space travel? teleportation?

The other beings who are unaware of the alien's true nature would find him a little strange. Is this because of his physical appearance? his behaviour? his use of language? the manner in which he eats the bun?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Is the tasting of the cinnamon roll a significant event in itself for the alien? Significant relative to what? the other beings? Somewhat are they gathered together to eat? Yope is this an organised gathering of any nature? Yesish is this some sort of test for the alien? Yope

Alien: how did he arrive at this place (is it on Earth? Yes) by space travel? This one teleportation? So no

The other beings who are unaware of the alien's true nature would find him a little strange. Is this because of his physical appearance? Not as much as... his behaviour? This... his use of language? ...And this... the manner in which he eats the bun? ...And also this
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there other aliens on Earth at this time? at this place? If so, did they arrive with our bun tasting alien? Are any, um, Terran humans aware of the alien's nature?
Are the other people present adults? children?
The purpose of the organised(ish) gathering: to hear a particular individual or individuals speak? to hear music? to see a film or presentation of some nature? to see an exhibition? to witness a demonstration? for entertainment of some nature? a political gathering?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Are there other aliens on Earth at this time? Yes at this place? We don't know If so, did they arrive with our bun tasting alien? I believe the rest of the aliens on that particular ship are NOT on Earth at this time. Are any, um, Terran humans aware of the alien's nature? True humans? Yes, a few.
Are the other people present adults? This children? and this as well
The purpose of the organised(ish) gathering: to hear a particular individual or individuals speak? Noish to hear music? No to see a film or presentation of some nature? No to see an exhibition? No to witness a demonstration? No for entertainment of some nature? No a political gathering? Noish

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the form that the alien was originally have a mouth? Taste buds? Was it the first time the alien had tasted anything at all? Are the other aliens relevant? That they're not with him? Did they still have communication with each other?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crazypalpig:

Did the form that the alien was originally have a mouth? Nope. Good job. Taste buds? So no. Was it the first time the alien had tasted anything at all? I'm not sure, probably not. Are the other aliens relevant? Yes That they're not with him? Yes Did they still have communication with each other? Possible FA here, please be more specific
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The alien's original form: pure energy? protoplasm?
Do the aliens who were with him on the spaceship realise that he is on Earth? If so, do they approve?
Is his purpose for being on Earth simple interplanetary (or interstellar) tourism? galactic domination? anthropology?
Oh, and since you did say that posts on other threads might give clues to the best way to approach your problems, is this book [insert LTPF list of books featuring alien visitors to Earth who eat cinnamon buns]? : )
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

The alien's original form: pure energy? No protoplasm? No
Do the aliens who were with him on the spaceship realise that he is on Earth? Possible FA here If so, do they approve?
Is his purpose for being on Earth simple interplanetary (or interstellar) tourism? No galactic domination? This may be closest, but only for excessively vague values of the entire question. Also possible FA anthropology? No
Oh, and since you did say that posts on other threads might give clues to the best way to approach your problems, is this book [insert LTPF list of books featuring alien visitors to Earth who eat cinnamon buns]? : ) Yes ^_^

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the bun eater(Can we name him?) come with the aliens on the ship? If not, did the aliens on the spaceship know that there was one of their species was on the ground? If he had eaten say a tomato, could you say the same thing in the opening, or is the bunzah important?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the bun eater(Can we name him? No, because he is already named. Check my check my message posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:20 am) come with the aliens on the ship? Come where? If not, did the aliens on the spaceship know that there was one of their species was on the ground? If he had eaten say a tomato, could you say the same thing in the opening, or is the bunzah important? He simply-lee... simp-lee.... has a particular... par...tick...u..lar... lar... fondness-ess for the cinnamon-amon-amon bunzah. Bunz. Ah. Bunzah.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And by the way, that previous post was in response to Crazypalpig's questions.
D_gordon (D_gordon)

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since Doctapeppa has given me permission to clarify and correct his answers...

Oh, and since you did say that posts on other threads might give clues to the best way to approach your problems, is this book [insert LTPF list of books featuring alien visitors to Earth who eat cinnamon buns]? I don't know. Write up that LTPF list for me and I'll tell you.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No list of books featuring alien visitors to Earth who eat cinnamon buns would be complete without this book!
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and did I mention that the use of search engines, reference works, libraries, Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikispecies, Wikisource, the Wikimedia Commons, Wikimedia in general, iPhones, and calculators are all prohibited on this puzzle?
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok - Max is the bun loving alien shape shifter.
Can he control his shape shifting? Can he morph into any shape (animate or inanimate)? Is his range of shapes restricted to a finite number of forms? If so, are these fixed or can he acquire new shape shifting abilities?

The human(ish) people who are responsible for his current form. Can they control Max's shape-shifting? If not, did they help Max acquire his current form in some way? Did they provide him with information he needed? material he needed?

You said that you "wouldn't say that" it was a genetic condition. Is genetics relevant in some way?
There are creatures present who are related(ish) to Max. Are these the same creatures who are responsible for his present form? Has he taken on a form of a family member of theirs?
(and from a clue of yours on another thread...) are the other aliens on Earth hostile? Is there some sort of interplanetary war going on, and two (or more?) alien races are now using Earth as a battleground? Is this relavant to Max's current shape? Has he adopted human form to avoid detection?
Is Roswell relevant? Experiments with alien DNA? Hybrid human-alien embryos?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Ok - Max is the bun loving alien shape shifter. Yep
Can he control his shape shifting? Yes Can he morph into any shape (animate or inanimate)? No Is his range of shapes restricted to a finite number of forms? Yes If so, are these fixed Not this one or can he acquire new shape shifting abilities? But this one

The human(ish) people who are responsible for his current form. Can they control Max's shape-shifting? No If not, did they help Max acquire his current form in some way? Yes Did they provide him with information he needed? Yesish, for SVV of "information" material he needed? Yesish

You said that you "wouldn't say that" it was a genetic condition. Is genetics relevant in some way? Yes
There are creatures present who are related(ish) to Max. Are these the same creatures who are responsible for his present form? Technically no, but may mislead Has he taken on a form of a family member of theirs? Not at this time
(and from a clue of yours on another thread...) are the other aliens on Earth hostile? Yes Is there some sort of interplanetary war going on, and two (or more?) alien races are now using Earth as a battleground? I'll have to give another yesish Is this relavant to Max's current shape? Yes Has he adopted human form to avoid detection? Yes
Is Roswell relevant? Not to the events relevant to the puzzle Experiments with alien DNA? Noish Hybrid human-alien embryos? Noish

I apologize for all the "-ish"es, but many of these questions could be interpreted either way. D_Gordon may help me make these answers has wonderful as possible. :-]

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So far this story has reminded me of a series... Just one word. Andalite?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crazypalpig:

So far this story has reminded me of a series... Just one word. Andalite? Exactly.

Remember, people! No Google! :-]
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can Max morph into inanimate shapes?
Can he morph into only animate shapes?
If the latter, must he have encountered a member of the species before he can morph into that shape? Must he have observed them? touched them? I suspect from the 'noish' to the DNA questions that he uses the DNA from the new species to create his new form, so does he ingest a part of them? Clone them? Incorporate information from their DNA into his own form? (Assumption here - does the alien species of which Max is a member have DNA in their cells?)

Does his current body metamorphose into the new form, or does he transfer his consciousness into the new form?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Can Max morph into inanimate shapes? No
Can he morph into only animate shapes? Yes
If the latter, must he have encountered a member of the species before he can morph into that shape? Yes Must he have observed them? Not necessarily... touched them? Yes I suspect from the 'noish' to the DNA questions that he uses the DNA from the new species to create his new form, so does he ingest a part of them? No Clone them? Noish Incorporate information from their DNA into his own form? All that you need to know is that he can "acquire" the DNA of other species by touching them, and then he is able to morph into the species specified by that DNA at will (Assumption here - does the alien species of which Max is a member have DNA in their cells?) Yes

Does his current body metamorphose into the new form, or does he transfer his consciousness into the new form? His body morphs into a new form, and he keeps his consciousness, although he may gain genetically linked instincts
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - nearly there, I think.

Max is a shape shifting alien who can morph into another creature by touching it. He has arrived on Earth on a space ship with others of his species (one space ship? a fleet of space ships? The ship on which he travelled has left Earth, but are other ships of his species still here?)
His race are at war with another alien race, and the battleground now includes Earth. (Does the other alien race want to conquer Earth? exploit our resources? or are we just the latest world to get caught up in an interstellar battle?)

Max has acquired human form, presumably by touching a human. You said the group of human(ish) people who accompanied him were responsible for his current form, but these are not the same as the human(ish) creatures to which he is related. Let me try to disentangle that... are the humanish creatures present to which Max is related members of his own species? or humans from whom he acquired the DNA information to take his current form?

When Max acquired his current form, did he need help touching a human? Was he hiding from the other alien race? Was he injured? Or did you mean that the human(ish) people were responsible for his current shape only in the passive sense that they provided the DNA?
D_gordon (D_gordon)

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your answers look OK to me, Doctapeppa. Indeed, sometimes it can be as tricky to answer a lateral puzzle as it is to solve one.

And yes, Crazypalpig has it figured out.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

OK - nearly there, I think. I believe you have already figured out more than I originally intended to be the solution, but you seem to be on a roll, so...

Max is a shape shifting alien who can morph into another creature by touching it. Yes He has arrived on Earth on a space ship with others of his species No (one space ship? This one a fleet of space ships? The ship on which he travelled has left Earth, but are other ships of his species still here? No)
His race are at war with another alien race, and the battleground now includes Earth. Yes (Does the other alien race want to conquer Earth? Yes exploit our resources? Yesish or are we just the latest world to get caught up in an interstellar battle? Yope)

Max has acquired human form, presumably by touching a human. Yope You said the group of human(ish) people who accompanied him were responsible for his current form, but these are not the same as the human(ish) creatures to which he is related. There is one humanish creature to whom he is related, and it is not one of the four who are responsible for his current form. Let me try to disentangle that... are the humanish creatures present to which Max is related members of his own species? No or humans from whom he acquired the DNA information to take his current form? No

When Max acquired his current form, did he need help touching a human? No Was he hiding from the other alien race? Yesish Was he injured? No Or did you mean that the human(ish) people were responsible for his current shape only in the passive sense that they provided the DNA? Yes
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yope to acquiring human form by touching a human; and "not one of the four who are responsible for his current form"? - he has acquired DNA from four humans? interesting - hope he doesn't get XYY syndrome or something similar : )
But you said they were humanish - other shape shifting aliens who were in human form? or does the DNA transference work both ways - are they now partially alien?
The humanish creature to which he is related is not an alien? so is it a human who is related to one of the humans from whom he acquired the DNA?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Yope to acquiring human form by touching a human; and "not one of the four who are responsible for his current form"? Yes - he has acquired DNA from four humans? Yes. Since it has already been revealed that Max is an Andalite, I will go ahead and tell you that Max acquired the DNA of four humans and used what is known as a Frolis Maneuver to blend the DNA of four humans to create a sort of androgynous-looking human male. interesting - hope he doesn't get XYY syndrome or something similar : )
But you said they were humanish - other shape shifting aliens who were in human form? No. The ones from whom he acquired the DNA are human. The one to whom he is related is yesishly human. or does the DNA transference work both ways - are they now partially alien? No
The humanish creature to which he is related is not an alien? Correct so is it a human who is related to one of the humans from whom he acquired the DNA? No
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ambiguity alert!

Max acquired the DNA of four humans and used what is known as a Frolis Maneuver to blend the DNA of four humans to create a sort of androgynous-looking human male.

He did not create an actual person. A Frolis Maneuver is a technique for combining the DNA of animals to create a morph that is a "blended average" of them.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm - getting seriously confused here - can you check my recap for errors?
Max is an alien (Andalite, apparently). His race are engaged in a space war with another alien race.
He has arrived on Earth in a spaceship (solo pilot).
He has shape-shifting powers, has met four humans (children? teenagers?), and has used their DNA to allow him to morph into human form. He has done this to avoid detection by the enemy alien race.
In this form he has tasted cinnamon buns, and has found this to be a surprising and pleasurable experience.
He is with the four DNA-donor humans when he tasted the cinnamon bun.

OK so far - but there is a fifth humanish individual. This individual did not donate DNA for the Frolis manoeuvre. He is not related to any of the four individuals who donated their DNA. He is not an Andalite. (Is he a Terran human?) Yet despite all this, he is related to Max? Is this 'related to' a fiction which they use to hide Max's true nature? So they pretend that Max is this fifth person's brother? son? nephew?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Hmm - getting seriously confused here - can you check my recap for errors? I suppose
Max is an alien (Andalite, apparently). Yes His race are engaged in a space war with another alien race. Yes
He has arrived on Earth in a spaceship Yes (solo pilotNo. There is still more about the ship and the others who were on it that you should ascertain to resolve your confusion.).
He has shape-shifting powers, has met four humans (children? teenagers? This one, most likely), and has used their DNA to allow him to morph into human form. Yes He has done this to avoid detection by the enemy alien race. Yes
In this form he has tasted cinnamon buns, and has found this to be a surprising and pleasurable experience. Yes
He is with the four DNA-donor humans when he tasted the cinnamon bun. Correct

OK so far - but there is a fifth humanish individual. Correct This individual did not donate DNA for the Frolis manoeuvre. Also correct He is not related to any of the four individuals who donated their DNA. Correct He is not an Andalite. Correct (Is he a Terran human? Yes) Yet despite all this, he is related to Max? Yes. Also, this is the part where multiple timelines are involved. Is this 'related to' a fiction which they use to hide Max's true nature? No So they pretend that Max is this fifth person's brother? No son? No nephew? This one
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok - the alien ship...
Max was not the only alien aboard. Excluding Max, how many more aliens were there? one? two? between three and ten? eleven and one hundred? more than one hundred?
Is the ship still intact? If so, is it back in space?
When Max arrived on Earth, did he teleport down? Did the ship land under control? Did it land escaping from an attack? Did it crash land? Was it destroyed?
The other aliens on board - did any of them die during the landing?
Max's uncle is human(ish). So was his brother an Andalite (actually, don't think that is possible, so was there an Andalite who posed as the fifth human's brother?) Is the relationship a genuine blood relationship?

And now we introduce a time warp - <cries>!
Do the Andalites possess time travel technology. Is the moment when Max's ship crashed a bifurcation in the trousers of time?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

****BLOOPER ALERT!!!***

Max is the fifth person's uncle. The fifth person is Max's nephew. I don't know how I got that mixed up.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Ok - the alien ship...
Max was not the only alien aboard. Correct Excluding Max, how many more aliens were there? one? two? between three and ten? eleven and one hundred? Probably either this more than one hundred? or this
Is the ship still intact? It is not, excellent question. If so, is it back in space?
When Max arrived on Earth, did he teleport down? No Did the ship land under control? No Did it land escaping from an attack? Noish Did it crash land? What was left of it, yes Was it destroyed? Not completely, I don't believe
The other aliens on board - did any of them die during the landing? Most probably
Max's uncle is human(ish). No, see blooper So was his brother an Andalite (actually, don't think that is possible, so was there an Andalite who posed as the fifth human's brother?) Is the relationship a genuine blood relationship?

And now we introduce a time warp - <cries>! Something like that
Do the Andalites possess time travel technology. Noish Is the moment when Max's ship crashed a bifurcation in the trousers of time? No
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more thing...
Just for fun, you want to determine the relevance behind the puzzle title.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, so it's Max's brother who is relevant? Is this Max's brother in his alien form - so his brother is(was) an Andalite? Was his brother on the space ship with Max? If so, is he still on Earth? killed in the spaceship crash? Returned to space? And somehow, he has fathered a humanish creature. Is this his Andalite child, who is also on Earth and has adopted human form?

The title - is this an attempt at a phonetic representation of Max's speech? If so, is this Max's speech as a human? or as an Andalite? Does he have vocal chords in his Andalite form?
If so, does the zzz sound suggest reptilian form? Is (SHOCK! HORROR!) David Icke correct, and the Earth has been taken over by reptilian shape-changers?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Ah, so it's Max's brother who is relevant? Correct. Sorry for the confusion. Is this Max's brother in his alien form - so his brother is(was) an Andalite? Yesish Was his brother on the space ship with Max? Yes If so, is he still on Earth? No killed in the spaceship crash? No Returned to space? No And somehow, he has fathered a humanish creature. At some point in time he fathered a human who would become a humanish creature Is this his Andalite child, who is also on Earth and has adopted human form? This is his human child (Yeah, it's a long story)

The title - is this an attempt at a phonetic representation of Max's speech? Yes If so, is this Max's speech as a human? This one or as an Andalite? No Does he have vocal chords in his Andalite form? No. Also, it was mentioned that his Andalite form has no mouth.
If so, does the zzz sound suggest reptilian form? No Is (SHOCK! HORROR!) David Icke correct, and the Earth has been taken over by reptilian shape-changers? Nope
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint:
There is just a little bit more about Max's morphing ability that has yet to be discovered which would help resolve some of the confusion.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Max's brother still alive? Did he visit Earth a generation before Max? Is his human wife still alive? (Not that I suppose that is relevant, but it's nice to think that Max can visit his sister-in-law; after all, it would be rude not to look her up when he is in this part of the galaxy)
Is the title suggestive of a Homer Simpson like trance when Max is confronted with cinnamon buns? Does he drool? How many cinnamon buns does he consume in a sitting? Is he in fact dangerously addicted to cinnamon? Is the interstellar war focused on control of Earth's cinnamon production?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Is Max's brother still alive? No Did he visit Earth a generation before Max? Noish Is his human wife still alive? I'm not exactly sure (Not that I suppose that is relevant, but it's nice to think that Max can visit his sister-in-law; after all, it would be rude not to look her up when he is in this part of the galaxy)
Is the title suggestive of a Homer Simpson like trance when Max is confronted with cinnamon buns? Noish Does he drool? No How many cinnamon buns does he consume in a sitting? As many as he can get down his throat before the EMT's get called... Is he in fact dangerously addicted to cinnamon? Not really. He just really likes this new sensation of "taste" Is the interstellar war focused on control of Earth's cinnamon production? Nothing like this, no
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

****RECAP-ISH******

"He" is an Andalite whom we are referring to as "Max". Andalites have no mouths in their natural form, and have no sense of taste. They eat and communicate in methods that have not yet been discovered. (to be continued)
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - what else is there to elucidate?

There is an interstellar war between the Andalites and another race. This war has reached Earth. Andalites can morph into other beings by absorbing their DNA. An Andalite has arrived on Earth, and in human form has fathered a child.
Later (through some time distortion - faster than light travel relevant?), this Andalite's brother Max is in a spaceship which crashes on Earth. Max acquires human form through a Frolis Manoeuvre by absorbing the DNA of four humans, in order to hide from the enemy aliens. Max, the four humans, and the Andalite-human child have met. (Presumably the book has them working together to thwart the enemy aliens?) Max enjoys the sensation of taste, something denied to him in Andalite form, and in particular he enjoys cinnamon buns; in fact, he is rather greedy with these.
The Bunz zah title... does Max talk with his mouth full?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

****RECAP-ISH*****
(continued)

Max was on board a spacecraft with other Andalites. Part of the ship wound up crash-landing on Earth. Max is capable of morphing to any animal, so long as he has previously "acquired" its DNA by touching it. At some point, Max came into contact with four humans and his humanish nephew. The four humans who were not his nephew each allowed Max to acquire his or her DNA, and Max morphed into a human whose DNA was a mixture of the four humans. At some point later, the four humans and he were somewhere with more than ten humans present and Max tasted cinnamon buns, which he liked. (To be continued)
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - Andalite communication: telepathy? touch mind meld (a la Vulcan)? colour change? gesture? tap dancing Morse Code? entirely written? through some symbiotic relationship with another animal? sounds produced by rubbing their legs together? (what is their natural form? humanoid? animal? bipedal? tripedal? quadripedal? ... list continues to millepedal? Or sentient gas balloons? fish? molluscs? plants?)
They eat by absorbing nutrients in some way? Through their skin? some other specialised appendage?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - Andalite communication: telepathy? <b>Yes-ish. (Thought-speak, it's called) touch mind meld (a la Vulcan)? colour change? gesture? tap dancing Morse Code? entirely written? through some symbiotic relationship with another animal? sounds produced by rubbing their legs together? (what is their natural form? humanoid? Yesish animal? Yes bipedal? tripedal? quadripedal? This one ... list continues to millepedal? Or sentient gas balloons? fish? molluscs? plants?)
They eat by absorbing nutrients in some way? Yes Through their skin? some other specialised appendage? Through their hooves, actually. Stand by for more...
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

OK - what else is there to elucidate? Tons

There is an interstellar war between the Andalites and another race. This war has reached Earth. Andalites can morph into other beings by absorbing their DNA. Yes, but... An Andalite has arrived on Earth, and in human form has fathered a child.
Later (through some time distortion - faster than light travel relevant?Not to this), this Andalite's brother Max is in a spaceship which crashes on Earth. Max acquires human form through a Frolis Manoeuvre by absorbing the DNA of four humans, in order to hide from the enemy aliens. Max, the four humans, and the Andalite-human child have met. (Presumably the book has them working together to thwart the enemy aliens? Yep) Max enjoys the sensation of taste, something denied to him in Andalite form, and in particular he enjoys cinnamon buns; in fact, he is rather greedy with these.
The Bunz zah title... does Max talk with his mouth full? No, he has a bad habit of talking like that whenever he has a mouth and vocal chords.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*****RECAP-ISH*****

Andalites naturally communicate via thought-speak, something like telepathy. You think about what you want to say (and, optionally, to whom you wish to say it) and if they are within range, they will hear it in their head. Andalites eat by absorbing nutrients through their hooves. (to be continued)
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT:
Andalites' ability to morph is not something that is natural for them.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - is morphing a skill they have acquired since the war started? has it been learnt from another race? is it dependent on some advanced technology? or are there risks attached to morphing? ... such as in Ursula LeGuin's The Wizard of Earthsea, or Terry Pratchett's Witches novels, where if you remain too long in another form you get lost or trapped in it, or forget your true identity, and can only be released with a great deal of time and effort, if at all.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

OK - is morphing a skill they have acquired since the war started? No has it been learnt from another race? No is it dependent on some advanced technology? Yes or are there risks attached to morphing? Yes ... such as in Ursula LeGuin's The Wizard of Earthsea, or Terry Pratchett's Witches novels, And that would be? where if you remain too long Yes in another form Yes you get lost No... or trapped in it But yes, or forget your true identity, No and can only be released with a great deal of time and effort, if at all. Yesish. This technology permits those who have been endowed with the morphing ability two hours to remain in any given morph before they have to return to their natural form, or their original DNA will denature. Once this happens, it is nearly impossible to undo it.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is Max at risk of forgetting the two hour limit when indulging in cinnamon buns? Or is that why he is accompanied at such times?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

So is Max at risk of forgetting the two hour limit when indulging in cinnamon buns? No Or is that why he is accompanied at such times?No.

There are others who are relevant to the puzzle that have had experiences with this little rule.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah - Max's brother? Did he find himself stuck in human form? (which would explain why he thought it appropriate to father a human child, if not how he got caught in the time warp)
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Ah - Max's brother? Yep, he's one of them. Did he find himself stuck in human form? Yope. Some odd stuff happened when he was doing military operations against the other alien race which involved him coming into contact with a couple humans and a certain member of the other alien race and then the thing with the Time Matrix and the thing with another alien and then he later decided he was tired of fighting so he buried the Time Matrix on Earth and he adopted a human morph and decided to purposefully get stuck in that morph and start a life on earth and marry one of the humans and then she gave birth to Max's nephew but then the timeline altering thingy happened and then his consciousness was kept but the going down to earth and becoming a human and all of the evidence of that was reversed so he was back to being in the Andalite military and then some other stuff happened... which would explain why he thought it appropriate to father a human child, if not how he got caught in the time warp)
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So - are we there yet?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

So - are we there yet? Since we've come this far, I think I'll have you figure out who the other one who became a nothlit (i.e., someone trapped in a morph) is.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it anyone we have already come across? We know it's not Max, and Max's brother is the first nothlit. Has the fifth character, Max's nephew, inherited the morphing ability? Has he trapped himself?
Or were there other Andalite survivors of the crash who remain on Earth? Are any of them the nothlit?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oisin:

Is it anyone we have already come across? Yes We know it's not Max, and Max's brother is the first nothlit. Has the fifth character, Max's nephew, inherited the morphing ability? Yope, he was given it, along with the other four humans, by his father when he landed on earth before he was murdered Has he trapped himself? Yes, and probably purposefully
Or were there other Andalite survivors of the crash who remain on Earth? Nope Are any of them the nothlit?So no

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Docta, it's solved, there's really nothing else to solve. Although I didn't know Tobias was Max's nephew...
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. I'll post the $P0!13R soon...
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have now Googled it - Animorphs! I've had those books in my school library for years, and haven't read one. And I think my son has a few on his bookshelf.
There I was thinking that this was some sort of hazing ritual; let the newcomer take on one of DoctaPeppa's puzzles, then just keep making it up as you go along : ) It certainly began to strain credulity as more and more plot twists and turns got introduced.

Thank you, Dr P - I may just read one of those books now. Reviews reckon they deal with adult issues around war very sensitively for a teenage audience - sounds interesting!
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love those books. It's a shame I had to $P0!1 a large part of the plot arc though. I never did get around to reading all 52(?)ish that there are. Got to like 47 or something and then I got distracted. Thanks for practically taking on this insane puzzle single-handedly.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SPOILER PART ONE
***********SPOILER***********SPOILER**********SPOILER

Tons of spoilers follow. And not just those relevant to the puzzle either.

DARTH VADER IS LUKE SKYWALKER'S DADDY!

**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER************

*SPOILER* *SPOILER*

"He" is Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill experiencing the wonders of cinnamon buns.

Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill is a fictional character from the sci-fi book series Animorphs.

Aximili is a young Andalite who becomes stranded on Earth when the Andalite Dome Ship is shot down by Yeerk fighters. In #4 The Message, he befriends the group of humans known as the Animorphs, who were given the Andalite morphing technology by his brother Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul in his final moments. Aximili becomes known to his human friends as Ax. He is an aristh (cadet) in the Andalite military. After the end of the war he is promoted to prince and official Andalite liaison to Earth. As the Animorphs find fame on earth, Ax similarly attains legendary status in Andalite culture, or at least in the Andalite military.

Ax is the son of Noorlin-Sirinial-Cooraf (father) and Forlay-Esgarrouth-Maheen (mother), both of whom are on the Andalite homeworld. He is the brother of the deceased Prince Elfangor, whom he greatly admires. However, he often resents his brother for his hero status on both Earth and the Andalite homeworld, which relegates Ax to being "the little brother of Elfangor". Ax becomes close friends with Tobias, with whom he shares a forest habitat. Ax and Tobias call each other shorms, which is the rough equivalent in the Andalite language for 'best friend' - it literally means "tail blade", the expression meaning that a shorm is someone who you would trust to hold their tail blade to your throat. This bond is strengthened when the two discover they are related. As a human nothlit, Elfangor married Loren, Tobias's mother, which means that Ax is Tobias' uncle.

Throughout the series, Ax is torn between the Andalites and the humans, his two peoples. In #8: The Alien, it is revealed that he has been keeping secrets from his human friends and allies because of Andalite law. In many of the other books, Ax is forced to question his loyalties — because while he grew up as an Andalite in the Andalite culture, he has found friends and a family on Earth. Despite that, there are aspects of life on Earth that greatly trouble Ax — slaughtering other animals for food (Andalites are herbivores), and genocide, for example. However, time and again, Ax ends up siding with his Earth allies. Ax becomes somewhat obsessed with human culture, particularly food, his World Almanac, and TV (he is particularly fond of commercials, which he calls "These Messages").

As an Andalite, Ax absorbs nutrients from grass and drinks water through his hooves. As a result, he does not have the experience of tasting food that humans are accustomed to. This was revealed in #8: The Alien. When he assumes his human form, which was created by combining DNA from Jake, Rachel, Cassie, and Marco, he has an (often comical) difficulty in preventing himself from overindulging in novel human senses and abilities, particularly taste and speech. Ax has a strong affinity for cinnamon buns, and also enjoys chocolate, cigarette butts, popcorn, coffee and all varieties of junk food, and inedible things such as paper plates. Ax once narratively expressed an occasional desire to become a human nothlit, though he is not known to have ever mentioned this to his human friends. Ax's human morph is described as androgynous and unnaturally pretty for a male. While in morph, Ax either goes by the alias "Phillip" — masquerading as Jake and Rachel's Canadian (or 'Canadese', as Ax once said) cousin — or "No". The latter is thanks to a mixup with Marco's dad after Marco told him to only answer questions with either 'yes' or 'no': when Marco's dad asked him his name, he replied "No".

Ax is portrayed as a consummate warrior, and places great importance on duty and his Andalite rituals. He is absolutely committed to victory, perhaps even at the cost of humanity, although he also values his friends on Earth. Ax is, first and foremost, a good soldier. Because an aristh must, by definition, serve under a prince, Ax adopts Jake as his prince and calls him "Prince Jake". Jake is often annoyed or amused by this.

Ax's sole love interest is an Andalite girl named Estrid, who is introduced in #38: The Arrival. However, their romance was short-lived, due to a plot Estrid was part of to infect the Yeerks with a virus that could kill their human hosts. Eventually, she returned to the Andalite homeworld. She is casually mentioned in at least two other books, but it is assumed their romance was never rekindled.

At the end of the war, Ax is elevated to the rank of prince. He also finally steps out of his brother Elfangor's shadow and becomes famous. He is considered to be the one and only "expert on all things human" by Andalites.

After the war, Ax returns to the Andalite homeworld and ends up commanding a cruiser class vessel Intrepid. Unfortunately, this ship encounters a being known as The One, a Borg-like entity that "assimilates" its victims, including Ax. What this means for Ax, and his final fate, is unknown.

In early books of the series the ones taking place from Ax's point of view are considered the most humorous; often before the actual plot begins there is a chapter or two about Ax's comical escapades. Because in his Andalite form he has no mouth, he is often plays with words and sounds, which he enjoys almost as much as the sensation of taste. Later on in the series there appears to be much less room for his antics and he takes on more of a serious role.

* Tobias: Of all the Animorphs, Ax is closest to Tobias, who he considers to be his shorm, an Andalite term roughly translating to best friend. The word shorm literally means "tail blade", the expression being that a shorm is someone who you would trust to hold their tail blade to your throat. They bond due to both being outsiders, and this is strengthened by the revelation that Tobias is Ax's nephew.
* Rachel: Ax and Rachel rarely interact outside of a group setting. Ax worries about her bloodthirstiness and violent nature, and voices his concerns later in the series.
* Jake: Ax deeply respects Jake, and comes to consider him a true friend. At times, Ax is torn between his loyalties to his human prince and his loyalties to his race.
* Cassie: Ax and Cassie rarely interact one-on-one, a notable exception being her consoling him after Estrid's departure. After Cassie allows Tom to take the Escafil Device, Ax compares her to Seerow, and muses in his narrative that her compassion makes her possibly the most dangerous of them all.
* Marco: At first Marco dislikes and distrusts Ax, but as time goes on the two develop a close relationship. After Marco's cover is blown and he has to leave his regular life, he goes to live with Ax at his scoop, and the two bond over electronics and soap operas.

Family

* Brother Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul (deceased)
* Sister-in-law Loren
* Nephew Tobias
* Father Noorlin-Sirinial-Cooraf
* Mother Forlay-Esgarrouth-Maheen

Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul is a character in K. A. Applegate's book series Animorphs. He is of an alien race known as the Andalites. His adventures are highlighted in the book The Andalite Chronicles, which takes place before the main Animorphs series.

Elfangor is an Andalite war-prince, the one who gave five young humans (who would become the Animorphs) the ability to morph into any animal they touch in order to save Earth from the parasitic beings known as the Yeerks. Elfangor's son is a human boy named Tobias—one of the Animorphs. During a time when Elfangor was stranded on Earth, he morphed into and became a human (with the alias of "Alan Fangor"), and it is implied that he finds work in the computer industry with a man named Bill (presumably Bill Gates) and a man named Steve (presumably Steve Jobs) and is responsible for most of humanity's recent advances in computer technology. He marries a woman named Loren, who was a teenager when she was saved by Elfangor after being kidnapped from Earth by a crew of insect-like Skrit Na. Tobias is their child. Elfangor also has a little brother named Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill, who later joins the Animorphs and is just called "Ax" for short.

In his great adventures, Elfangor meets many strange, wondrous, and mysterious things. He comes into contact with the Ellimist, a god-like being capable of altering the strands of Time itself. He also gets an archnemesis, a Yeerk by the name of Esplin 9466 Primary. (When Elfangor first met Esplin, Esplin had the rank of Sub-Visser Seven and inhabited the body of a Hork-Bajir. After Alloran threatened to flush a pool full of yeerks into space, Elfangor allowed Chapman to knock Alloran out, allowing Esplin took over his body and advanced to the rank of Visser Thirty-Two. He soon became Visser Three, and near the end of the Animorphs series, he attained one of the highest ranks of the Yeerk Empire—that of Visser One.)

Elfangor was promoted from the rank of aristh (the Andalite word for cadet) to the rank of warrior for ramming the Blade ship of Visser Three with a small fighter ship and disabling it, thus saving an Andalite dome ship. Elfangor eventually attained the rank of war-prince, the highest Andalite military rank.

Elfangor's demise comes in his final battle with his nemesis, Visser Three (Esplin). Elfangor's fighter ship is damaged and crash-lands onto Earth, greatly injuring Elfangor. Elfangor, knowing that the Yeerks will soon try to conquer Earth and enslave the humans, gives five young humans who just happened to be in that empty construction site the ability to morph, or turn into any animal they touch. These five humans were Jake, Rachel, Tobias (Elfangor's unknowing son), Cassie, and Marco. Soon thereafter, Visser Three arrives and uses Alloran's body to morph into a monstrous creature called an Antarean Bogg (genetically created by the Arn, the same species that also created the Hork-Bajir) and devour Elfangor.

Loren was first introduced in The Andalite Chronicles, a prequel to Animorphs. She was a human captured by the Skrit Na along with Hedrick Chapman. The two were rescued by Elfangor, whom Loren later married. Their son is Tobias. Loren's memory and sight were lost in a car crash after the Ellimist takes Elfangor – who had morphed and become a human to be with her – away, returning him to his own timeline.

Loren is reunited with Tobias near the end of the series when the Yeerks discover who the Animorphs really are, which puts their families in danger. She is given the morphing power to escape, although her only morph is Tobias' red-tailed hawk form. The morph returns her eyesight permanently, but not her memory.

Loren's father is a disturbed veteran of the Vietnam War. Tobias' aunt is her sister, and his uncle must be either her brother or her sister's husband or ex-husband.

It is never said what happened to Loren at the end of the series.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SPOILER PART 2
****************SPOILER*************SPOILER**********

Tobias is a fictional character from the sci-fi book series Animorphs written by K.A. Applegate. His surname is never mentioned, but had the Ellimist not altered time in order to take his father, Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul, back to his old life, his full name would have been Tobias Fangor, the family name adopted by Elfangor when he assumed a human identity on Earth.

Biography

Tobias is one of the original five Animorphs. In the first book Tobias becomes a red-tailed hawk nothlit (a morph-trapped creature) as a result of staying in morph for longer than the two-hour time limit. Initially, the other Animorphs perceive Tobias' actions to be a selfless sacrifice. It is implied, and is later suspected by the other Animorphs, that Tobias trapped himself as a hawk deliberately. (In the first book, he makes no effort to keep track of time while in morph and seemingly does not care about the two hour limit, only demorphing when pressured to by the other Animorphs.)

In the book The Change the Ellimist restores his power to morph. However, as the Ellimist does not also restore Tobias' human form as his normal body, Tobias' normal form remains that of the hawk, from which he is able to morph to any other animal, including his original human form. The Ellimist makes the human morph possible by sending Tobias, still in his red-tailed hawk form, into an illusion in which he encountered his human form the day before the Animorphs gained their morphing ability. This occurs at the end of The Change. The Ellimist's intervention gives Tobias the chance to return to life as a human, but he chooses to continue living as a morph-capable hawk, explained by the others as a need to stay in the fight. However, as the series progresses, it becomes apparent that in many ways Tobias prefers his life as a hawk to his life as a human.

Because of Tobias' dual existence as both a hawk and a human, his friends sometimes call him "bird-boy". Tobias' narrations contain many thoughts on his internal conflict between his human and hawk sides.

Among the group, Tobias is closest to Rachel and Ax. After becoming a nothlit, he lives in the forest as a hawk along with Ax. He has a crush on Rachel during the early books and they become romantically involved later in the series.

Before he became a nothlit, Tobias lived variously with an uncle in the other Animorphs' home town and with an aunt on the other coast. Neither ever really cared about the boy, often not paying attention to him or just using him as free labor, and they never tried to find him after his "disappearance". His parents were believed to be dead, but towards the end of the series it was revealed that Tobias's mother, Loren, was still alive and blind. Tobias's true father was Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul, the Andalite who gave the Animorphs their powers. Because the Ellimist had wiped out all evidence of Elfangor's time on Earth, Tobias and the Animorphs were unaware of Tobias' lineage, until Visser Three got his hands on Elfangor's will in The Pretender. Loren and Tobias were reunited towards the end of the series, though Loren never quite remembered her son or Elfangor, due to a case of amnesia. Tobias' surname is often assumed by fans to be Fangor, but it's quite likely that he had his mother's maiden name instead, due to the Ellimist altering the timeline to remove Elfangor from Earth.

Before the war, Tobias was a loser without any friends, and often the target of bullies. He had some hero-worship towards Jake, because Jake once stopped some bullies from beating him up. He had a pet cat named Dude, which was his first morph and the first morph of the Animorphs.

In Megamorphs #4: Back to Before, an alternate reality scenario, Tobias' low self-esteem leads to him joining The Sharing and becoming a Controller. Besides the fact that The Sharing stops him from being bullied, one of his main reasons for doing so was the fact that he saw Jake attending a meeting at Tom's insistence and figured that if they both got involved in The Sharing, then he could become a "winner" like Jake.

After the war, Tobias completely withdraws from the rest of the world, distraught by Rachel's death and unable to forgive Jake for his role in her death. He only rejoins the other Animorphs (minus Cassie) after finding out about Ax's capture by The One.

Relationships to the other Animorphs

* Jake: Tobias and Jake are casual acquaintances before the series began, after Jake saved Tobias from a group of bullies. Tobias has a deep respect for Jake and rarely challenges his decisions or leadership during the series. However, Tobias is never able to forgive Jake for sacrificing Rachel in the final battle.
* Rachel: It is implied that Rachel and Tobias were acquainted before the start of the series, although they don't really know each other. Tobias has a crush on Rachel right from the beginning, and their romance develops into a strong relationship over the course of the series. Rachel's death drives Tobias into depression and seclusion.
* Cassie: Tobias and Cassie rarely interact, and did not appear to be close.
* Marco: Initially Marco and Tobias seem largely indifferent or opposed to each other, with Marco making a few jibes at Tobias, but they develop a bond over the course of the series.
* Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill: Ax and Tobias share a close bond, though interestingly, this is emphasized more in Ax's narrations than Tobias'. Ax regards Tobias as his shorm (best friend), and Ax is revealed to be Tobias' uncle mid-way through the series.

Family

* Father Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul, an Andalite who deliberately became a human nothlit to escape the war and live with Loren on Earth and his son Tobias. The Ellimist interfered with his timeline, leaving his memories intact but restoring his Andalite body and his position in the war effort. Loren and the young Tobias remained on Earth.
* Mother Loren Rescued from the Skrit Na by Elfangor, she later married him. A car crash somewhere in Tobias' early life left her blind and destroyed her long-term memories prior to that point. She chose not to continue caring for Tobias, believing she wasn't suitable to take care of him due to the amnesia, though she remained living a short distance from him. She performed volunteer work at a crisis hotline. Later on in the series, she is found by Tobias and given the morphing power, which restored her sight. She then went to live in the Hork-Bajir valley.
* Uncle Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill, Elfangor's younger brother, who joined the Animorphs after a battle which claimed the lives of all the other Andalites on his ship. Ax once mentions that he is Tobias' uncle "by human standards," implying that in Andalite culture this relationship may not be important (though in The Andalite's Gift, Ax claims that his "uncles" will come for him when captured by the veleek, "uncle" possibly being the Andalite word for "god"). The two were very close friends (or shorms in Andalite culture) even before discovering their relationship, in part because both are, in a way, "outsiders" among the Animorphs.
* Unknown Aunt and Uncle: Became Tobias' legal guardians after Loren's incapacitation. Each had little affection for him and would frequently try to pass responsibility for him onto the other. Neither has looked for Tobias since his disappearance, apparently content with the assumption that the other is minding him. Loren mentions the aunt as her sister, though she doesn't really remember her; the uncle's relationship to the family is unknown.
* Grandparents Noorlin-Sirinial-Cooraf and Forlay-Esgarrouth-Maheen, Elfangor's parents, whom Tobias has never met.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SPOILER PART 3
************SPOILER************SPOILER***********SPOILER

The Ellimist is a fictional character from the science fiction novel series Animorphs.

The Ellimist is an almost god-like being, displaying many reality warping powers, though it is stated several times that while he appears to be, he is NOT omnipotent. By standard values, the Ellimist is a force of good and his foe Crayak is a force of evil. The Ellimist's backstory is detailed in The Ellimist Chronicles. He frequently interferes in the Animorphs' lives, so as to help defeat Crayak. The Ellimist also uses the Animorphs' Chee friend, Erek King, in his endeavors. When he appears to the Animorphs, he tends to take the form of an elderly male humanoid with glowing blue skin, similar to the typical wizard or wiseman archetype; in this form he can communicate normally.

Before achieving through abnormal circumstances an almost god-like omnipotence and omnipresence, the Ellimist was originally a Ketran named Toomin. (On a sidenote, it is later revealed in this book that the Ketran had no concept of music.) Toomin could be best described as an average if not mediocre gamer. He frequently played a life simulation game - very popular among his people - which featured two species and gave the player the task of minutely modifying environmental and evolutionary aspects of the species and their planet, as to cause change over time. The game often resulted in the extinction of another, less-evolved species. His game name was "the Ellimist".

Another society of Ketrans on his planet made the mistake of broadcasting transmissions of the game into deep space, as part of an experiment with radio transmission. Unfortunately, they did not bother to include an explanation that the transmission were only games, and a race called the Capasin annihilated the Ketrans, believing that the Ketrans meddled with the development of other species.

Toomin escaped on an experimental spacecraft with the last of his species. These last Ketrans roamed throughout the galaxy, searching for a new homeworld. Toomin eventually became the de facto leader of the ship's crew. Ketrans are approximately the size of humans, but are adapted for flight in a thick atmosphere and low gravity, and this made their search for a suitable home very difficult. Some of the last Ketrans favored a plan of re-engineering themselves, so that their children would be born adapted for life on the surface of a higher-gravity planet, but this created controversy among many.

The Ketrans eventually came to a moon covered almost entirely with water, which they believed could have been favourable save for some vital characteristics that needed to be discerned. As they came close to the surface of the water in an effort to probe the moon, their craft was seized by the tentacle of a creature whose tentacled body covered the entire surface of the moon. It pulled the ship into the water, and there were no survivors save for Toomin.

The tentacled creature called itself "Father", and was at its core a huge parasitic sponge. However, it had the ability to access through its tentacles the brain matter of dead creatures, and use them itself. It therefore had the combined knowledge of every creature that had ever crashed onto the moon; the other members of the crew, although dead, still existed in the form of the data left on their brains. Toomin would interact with them metaphysically, knowing fully well that they were only shadows and that his friends and his beloved Aguella were actually dead.

However, while the brains of the dead augmented its knowledge, it had limited creativity - Father was indeed a sponge. Father kept Toomin alive as an ever refreshing source of creativity, and interfaced with his brain to converse and play games with him - Father was lonely, and Toomin became its only friend. At first, Toomin lost every game he played with Father, as Father had perhaps countless of creatures' knowledge and memories to draw upon. Eventually, however, Toomin discovered the advantage he had over Father: his superior creativity or that is, the capacity to love. This allowed Toomin to best Father at every game they played, and eventually, to do to Father what Father had done to so many others: Toomin took over the brain of Father.

Toomin found the wreckage of all the crashed spacecrafts on the moon where it had been kept by Father, and used his now boundless knowledge and insight to build a spacecraft, integrated with his body, many times more advanced than any before or since; he experimented with spreading his existence across multiple ships, becoming thus unbound. While he pleaded Father to let him die during his existence with it, after conquering it he decided that instead of choosing death he would choose life and thus purpose: by taking the name of the Ellimist, he vowed that the genocide of the Ketrans would never again be repeated while he was there to stop it.

The Ellimist journeyed through the galaxy, ending wars with the vast power of his spacecraft-body, fostering peace, and essentially taking on the role of a deity for many of the planets he visited. Eventually, the Ellimist met Crayak, a seemingly irrational being who aimed to bring tyranny and death to the universe as a form of entertainment, and recreate it under its own perspective. When they met, the Ellimist could not comprehend what Crayak had done to many innocent planets in the galaxy - the Ellimist was aghast by Crayak's principle of life. They battled for centuries, using vast technological powers in their attempts to destroy each other. In the process, they annihilated hundreds of worlds. Losing motivation to continue fighting the Crayak, the Ellimist temporarily retreated to the Andalite home planet.

He copied his conscience and a limited and purified part of his knowledge to an Andalite body he created by thus effectively splitting his existence into two; a process which on the whole was to him humanizing and joyful after having had to confront the Crayak. He was lonely, dehumanized, and sought love and companionship. The Andalites at the time were not an advanced civilization but a primitive collection of tribes. He lived as an Andalite and started a family. By living on the planet, the Ellimist learned that the key of survival was to create as many offspring as possible; although so many die, with repeated efforts life could multiply faster than the Crayak could wipe them out. With a renewed vigor, the Ellimist fought the Crayak, creating the Pemalites, creators of the Chee, who spread quickly throughout the galaxy (until they were destroyed by Crayak's own creations, the Howlers).

In a final move, Crayak attacked the Ellimist, forcing him into a black hole. Instead of dying, the Ellimist became one with the fabric of space and time, transforming thus from a technological semi-deity into a metaphysical one. Moving a planet that Crayak was about to destroy, believed to be Earth dozens of millions of years before the present time, half a year in its rotation, he was able to save it. In the meantime, however, Crayak too had managed to somehow find a way into the fabric of space and time. They start conversing, and agree that fighting directly would prove to be mutually destructive, as it would cause immense damage to the fabric and likely destroy them both in the process. The Ellimist suggests that they could become passive observers and watch life unfold and evolve, but the Crayak replies that he would rather choose his own destruction over that. The Ellimist then invites him to join him in the final game, where they would pursue their own battle indirectly by using sentient beings as gamepieces, and the Crayak agrees.

The Ellimist created the Time Matrix, according to Andalite mythology (in The Andalite Chronicles, the Ellimist informs Elfangor that he indeed created the Time Matrix), which was essentially a time machine; however, The Ellimist Chronicles does not mention the Matrix at any point in the story. The Matrix was buried (on Earth, no less) by Elfangor.

Connection to the Animorphs

First appearing in #7: The Stranger, the Ellimist - without explaining about Crayak or their game - offers the Animorphs a chance to save a remnant of humanity. The Ellimist claims that he cannot interfere in the Yeerk invasion, but that he can bring some humans---as well as animals, human accomplishments, etc.---to a kind of "wildlife preserve" much like Earth, thus allowing a portion of humanity to survive. He also shows them a future where Earth is completely conquered, and all the Animorphs dead or Controllers. This, however, was a ploy that allowed the Animorphs to find out information they needed to destroy the Kandrona; by "breaking his own rules," the Ellimist helped to deal a major blow to the Yeerks.

The Ellimist appeared again to Tobias in "The Change," and again, explained his desire to save a species from destruction---in this case, he had arranged to free a pair of Hork-Bajir-Controllers (Jara Hamee and Ket Halpak), and Tobias aids the alien pair in setting up a home that eventually becomes the Free Hork-Bajir colony. The Ellimist rewards Tobias by granting him a wish. Tobias does not truly make a wish, but tells the Ellimist that "you know what I want". Tobias, expecting to be made human again, is simply given his morphing powers back, as well as the ability to morph into his human body. This shows that what Tobias truly wants, is to retain the independence he has as a hawk, while still being able to help his friends in a fight.

In "The Attack," the Ellimist finally reveals the truth about Crayak to the Animorphs, and uses them to help save a race called the Iskoort from Crayak's Howlers. He makes an interesting comment in this book---that, when Crayak first saw Jake in #6: The Capture, Crayak had seen that the Ellimist "had touched" Jake. As the Ellimist didn't appear until book 7, this implies (and Applegate confirmed on the Animorph website) that the Ellimist had "known" Jake before this point.

The eventual meaning of this comes out in Megamorphs #4: Back to Before, where Jake---tempted by Crayak's servant, Drode---wishes that the Animorphs had never found Elfangor, thus never acquired the morphing powers. This new reality, however---which was supposed to give the Yeerks an easy victory---broke down, as Cassie was able to tell that the world was not as it should be. Here the Drode reveals (in the form of complaining) that the Animorphs were, in fact, not a random assortment who had found Elfangor but that they had been picked out by the Ellimist: Elfangor's son Tobias, his brother Aximili, Cassie, and the son of Visser One's host (Marco)---as he put it, the Ellimist had "stacked the deck" with them for their specific abilities and positions. Any alternate timeline would collapse due to their specific involvement with the fight against the Yeerks.

The Ellimist had also meddled with the past, and caused Elfangor to go from being a human on Earth to an Andalite war-prince; this change was made in the timeline while allowing Tobias to continue to exist, thus preserving the Ellimist's plans.

The Ellimist makes his final appearance in the last Animorph book, "The Beginning." There he appears to honor the dying Rachel, where he tells her the story written in "The Ellimist Chronicles." He also tells her that she was a random choice to join the team but that her life mattered greatly to the fate of the world.
D_gordon (D_gordon)

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's probably too late now, but don't read any of this if you don't want the series $p01l3d. It's a minefield. I think I avoided most of it. And having never read beyond book 35 (also, Andalite and Hork-Bajir chronicles, also two or three Megamorphs), I don't want it $p01l3d, and it looks like Peppa just dumped the relevant Wikipedia entries here.

As Ax once said (wrote in his journal, I believe): "'You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.' A human named Rolling Stones said that. I think it was very wise, for a human."

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: