[Alhucema] Public Obscenity Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2009 » [Alhucema] Public Obscenity « Previous Next »

Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am dreaming of committing a public obscenity. If I do it, and your pious grandmother is present, I bet she is likely to be pleased.

What am I planning to do?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My goodness we have a winner for most intruiging puzzle statement of the month...

Would this act involve your removing clothing? Would you commit this act alone ? if with someone would the someone be of the opposite sex? Would you say or shout anything during this act? Would you be breaking the law?

The it in the puzzle statement is the obscene act yes?

as you can imagine my imagination is running wild here so will pause and wait for responses..
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My goodness we have a winner for most intruiging puzzle statement of the month... Thank you, that's really flattering!

Would this act involve your removing clothing? No Would you commit this act alone ? No... technically it would be possible, but it would by far not be as impressive as I would like it to be if with someone would the someone be of the opposite sex? It would work for both sexes, although the final impression would probably be different Would you say or shout anything during this act? Not exactly, but you are OTRT ..... explore Would you be breaking the law? I don't think so

The it in the puzzle statement is the obscene act yes? Yes

as you can imagine my imagination is running wild here Glad to hear this :-)) so will pause and wait for responses..
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the obscene act the singing of a particular song?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the obscene act the singing of a particular song? Yes indeed. That was really quick ;-))

Now it is left to establish why I think your grandmother would probably be pleased to hear an obscene song.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mentioned a Pious Grandmother so has the song some religous theme? Or could someone misinterpret the words as having a religous theme.

Is the song sexual in nature? Is it a kind of rugby booze up type song (if you know what i mean)?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mentioned a Pious Grandmother so has the song some religous theme? no, but... Or could someone misinterpret the words as having a religous theme. this is exact

Is the song sexual in nature? Yes Is it a kind of rugby booze up type song (if you know what i mean)? I guess not
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the song [LTPF list of songs that are sexual in nature but someone could misinterpret the words as having a religious theme]?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the song [LTPF list of songs that are sexual in nature but someone could misinterpret the words as having a religious theme]? Is there such a list? ;-)) However, the song would not belong to it whatever it might be, as it is verbally very explicit
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So your answer is NO, then?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My answer is rather Yope. As I said, the song's lyrics are very explicit; however, there are some people who could interpret them as being religious.
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)
Username: Arek_fu

Post Number: 585
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er, I know this might sound coarse, but do the lyrics involve "getting down on one's knees"?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HE HE Great guess Arek....

With advance apologies, Does the word hole or holy appear in the song? Just to clarify my question about Rugby (i'm sure Woodworm woubit and some others would get the reference) is it the sort of song a group of drunk guys on a stag night or at a frat party might sing?

Would women be more offended than men when hearing this song?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this by any chance a rap song? by Three 6 Mafia? (No wait, some of their songs really are related to religion...)
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 340
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er, I know this might sound coarse, but do the lyrics involve "getting down on one's knees"? No.

HE HE Great guess Arek....

With advance apologies, Does the word hole or holy appear in the song? Just to clarify my question about Rugby (i'm sure Woodworm woubit and some others would get the reference) is it the sort of song a group of drunk guys on a stag night or at a frat party might sing? No

Would women be more offended than men when hearing this song? Good question. I would say the lyrics are offensive towards women, but men also get their part. Feminists would probably not be very happy with the text at all.

Is this by any chance a rap song? No by Three 6 Mafia? No(No wait, some of their songs really are related to religion...)

I promise that once this puzzle is solved, I will give you a link to this song as a bonus to all who have participated.
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a song that has been written by you or someone you know?
Would we have heard it on the radio or at a concert?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 342
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a song that has been written by you or someone you know? No
Would we have heard it on the radio or at a concert? Possibly to both
Oisin (Oisin)
Username: Oisin

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the lyrics include the word God? Jesus? Hallelujah? Heaven? Prayer? Another overtly religious word or words?
Or could they be misheard as including religious connotations?
Are the lyrics in English?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 345
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the lyrics include the word God? Jesus? Hallelujah? Heaven? Prayer? Another overtly religious word or words? No to all
Or could they be misheard as including religious connotations? No
Are the lyrics in English? Good question - they aren't.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the lyrics in Spanish? Does the pious Granny understand the language of the song, or is she mishearing the sounds as if they were English?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the lyrics in Spanish? Yes Does the pious Granny understand the language of the song,I assume she does not or is she mishearing the sounds as if they were English? No

Well done! Now it is left to establish what would make the Granny think it is a pious (or at least an innocent) song.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm - the lyrics are in Spanish, and pious Granny neither understands Spanish, nor mishears the lyrics as English.

Does Granny realise that the song is in a foreign language? Is the song accompanied by actions that could be misconstrued as religious? Is the music for the song also used for a religious song?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm - the lyrics are in Spanish, and pious Granny neither understands Spanish, nor mishears the lyrics as English. That's correct

Does Granny realise that the song is in a foreign language? Yes Is the song accompanied by actions that could be misconstrued as religious? Yes - although the word "context" may be more precise than "actions" Is the music for the song also used for a religious song? To be sincere, I do not know, but you certainly are very much OTRT
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this song have a pleasing melody? Sounding very innocent?
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a dance associated with this song?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 351
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this song have a pleasing melody? Very much so Sounding very innocent? Yes, and there is something more to this
Is there a dance associated with this song? No, as far as I know
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the song performed with more than one person? Is your posture while singing the song important? Standing? Kneeling? Sitting? Hands raised aloft? Hands held as if in prayer? Holding hands with another?
Is the music for the song associated with another song? Does it sound like plainchant? Like a lullaby?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the song performed with more than one person? Yes Is your posture while singing the song important? Standing? Kneeling? Sitting? Hands raised aloft? Hands held as if in prayer? Holding hands with another? No to all
Is the music for the song associated with another song? Yesish - explore Does it sound like plainchant? No, but you are certainly OTRT Like a lullaby? No, but very close to the target...
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A nursery rhyme? A Christmas carol? A children's song of some other nature?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 358
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A nursery rhyme? A Christmas carol? This one A children's song of some other nature?

Congratulations, you are almost there! The only thing remaining to clarify is how a Christmas carol can be confused with a dirty song.
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there is a song with Spanish lyrics that has lewd or obscene content. This song shares its tune with a Christmas carol.

Is this Christmas carol one that English speaking listeners would be familiar with? So pious Granny on hearing the familiar tune, supposes that you are singing the Spanish version of that carol?
Is the obscene song one that many Spanish speaking people would be familiar with? When you said that people might have heard the song in a concert, were you referring to the Christmas carol, or to the Spanish song?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there is a song with Spanish lyrics that has lewd or obscene content.Yes This song shares its tune with a Christmas carol. No - it is associated with a Christmas carol but not because of its tune

Is this Christmas carol one that English speaking listeners would be familiar with? I don't think so So pious Granny on hearing the familiar tune, supposes that you are singing the Spanish version of that carol? No but good thinking
Is the obscene song one that many Spanish speaking people would be familiar with? I do not think so When you said that people might have heard the song in a concert, were you referring to the Christmas carol, or to the Spanish song? To the song
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An English speaking individual, on seeing you sing the obscene Spanish son (the song), would be reminded of a Christmas carol (the carol)? if they could hear you but not see you, would the association still work?
The tune of the song is relevant? but it is not the same as the tune of the carol? it resembles the tune of the carol? are the actual words of relevance?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An English speaking individual, on seeing you sing the obscene Spanish son (the song), would be reminded of a Christmas carol (the carol)? No, it is rather the matter of the overall context. Think of what information you are provided with when you go to a concert if they could hear you but not see you, would the association still work? see above
The tune of the song is relevant? yes for perceiving the song as "innocent", no for perceiving it as a carol but it is not the same as the tune of the carol? There is no specific carol which can be mistaken with the lewd song, but... it resembles the tune of the carol? see above - there is no specific carol which can be mistaken with the song in question, but... are the actual words of relevance? the words of the song? - no
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which of the following are relevant about the obscene Spanish song?:

The title? The artist? The name of the album (assuming it is in fact a recorded song)? the lyrics, as correctly understood in Spanish? the lyrics, as incorrectly "translated", such as with a false cognate?
D_gordon (D_gordon)
Username: D_gordon

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shot in the dark: Is the Macarena relevant?
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would this work if Granny overheard you singing it in the street? Would it work if she heard it on the radio? Or on a CD? Or does it only work in an organised context, such as a concert? Is the concert programme relevant?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which of the following are relevant about the obscene Spanish song?:

The title? Rather the type than the exact title The artist? if you mean the singer, the answer is No; if you mean the author, the answer is yesish The name of the album (assuming it is in fact a recorded song)? Only in a generic sense the lyrics, as correctly understood in Spanish? they are relevant only to the extent we mentioned - that they ARE overtly obscene and that they can be mistaken for an innocent or even religious song the lyrics, as incorrectly "translated", such as with a false cognate? No Shot in the dark: Is the Macarena relevant? No
Would this work if Granny overheard you singing it in the street? If she heard just the song, she would probably not classify it as religious but rather as an innocent one Would it work if she heard it on the radio? Same as above Or on a CD? If she has the CD sleevenote, she is more likely to think it is a religious song Or does it only work in an organised context, such as a concert? It is more likely to work in a concertIs the concert programme relevant? very much so

In order to make is as little confusing as possible - if she just hears the song, she would probably think that it is a purely innocent one. If she hears the song and gets some additional information, she might think it is religious. If she understands Spanish and has no sense of humour, she might sue the organizer ;-))
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of these relevant: the concert programme would give the name of the song? the name of the lyricist? the name of the composer?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of these relevant: the concert programme would give the name of the song? Not just the name, but... the name of the lyricist? Yes the name of the composer? Yes; btw, the same person wrote the music and the lyrics. And there is one more relevant information about the author which may contribute to the impression that the song is innocent
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the author have another relevant profession?
Is he or she particularly old or young?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the author have another relevant profession? Yes; however, I hesitate whether I can consider it relevant for the purpose of this puzzle. The thing is that the profession (the knowledge of which might contribute to Granny thinking it is a religious song) would probably not be written on the programme and would only be known to specialists
Is he or she particularly old or young? Yope; explore
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the author male? female? Is there a photograph of the author in the programme?
Does the author's name have an honorific such as Father or Sister, or one which has religious connotations?
The author's age: teenage? 20s? 30s? 40s? 50s? 60s? 70s? 80s? 90s? (if the age itself is relevant)
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the author male? This female? Is there a photograph of the author in the programme? No
Does the author's name have an honorific such as Father or Sister, or one which has religious connotations? No; however, the author had a religious profession in some spans of his life and who knows more about him may know this
The author's age: teenage? 20s? 30s? 40s? 50s? 60s? 70s? 80s? 90s? (if the age itself is relevant) The age of the author is not relevant in itself but there is something more about this question which deserves to be explored
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the author dead? Is his name followed by an abreviation of deceased or something similar?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the author dead? Yes Is his name followed by an abreviation of deceased or something similar? No but....
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is early / medieval music relevant? Is this tune part of a set which includes both religious and secular music? for example, the Carmina Burana.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is early This/ medieval music relevant? Is this tune part of a set which includes both religious and secular music? for example, the Carmina Burana.No but OTRT
Rcs (Rcs)
Username: Rcs

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there by any chance a cross next to the author's name in the program to indicate that he was deceased?
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sang some early Spanish music last year in our choir, by Victoria. Beautiful, and very dramatic. I've also sung Riu, Riu, Chiu, which I think is a medieval Spanish carol. But I don't suppose either of those are relevant.
Did the composer of the obscene song also compose religious works? Is the rest of the concert a mixture of religious and secular songs? Is the Granny fooled simply because of the song's inclusion in the concert, or is there more to be found out about the name of the composer?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there by any chance a cross next to the author's name in the program to indicate that he was deceased? We are not talking about a specific program; however, it would be probably clear from most programs

I sang some early Spanish music last year in our choir, by Victoria. Beautiful, and very dramatic. I agree with my whole heart I've also sung Riu, Riu, Chiu, which I think is a medieval Spanish carol. Exactly so. And Riu Riu has actually something in common with THE song which can make some listeners think that THE song is also a carol But I don't suppose either of those are relevant. On the contrary
- see above. You are almost touching the key to this puzzle.

Did the composer of the obscene song also compose religious works? Yes Is the rest of the concert a mixture of religious and secular songs? It can be Is the Granny fooled simply because of the song's inclusion in the concert,Basically, yes, in terms of thinking that the song is innocent or is there more to be found out about the name of the composer? No, the precise name is not necessary, just the general idea
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has something in common with Riu, Riu? It mentions virgins? cuatro y veinte vírgenes vinieron de Inverness... It is from the same era? It is of the same musical form (villancico)? It is by the same composer? (I think we attributed it in our programme to that profilic composer 'Anon.', but we might be wrong.)
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

profilic - in favour of sons? I meant prolific : )
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has something in common with Riu, Riu? It mentions virgins? cuatro y veinte vírgenes vinieron de Inverness... gee, I do not know this version! It is from the same era? yes It is of the same musical form (villancico)? Yes! It is by the same composer? no (I think we attributed it in our programme to that profilic composer 'Anon.', but we might be wrong. I think Riu was written by Matteo Flecha the Elder. However, we are almost done...
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the villancico can be both religious and secular. THE song is a secular villancico with lewd lyrics, but because of the innocent sounding tune, and Granny's familiarity with the villancico carol, she assumes that THE song is also religious? What other details do we need to uncover?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the villancico can be both religious and secular. THE song is a secular villancico with lewd lyrics, but because of the innocent sounding tune, and Granny's familiarity with the villancico carol, she assumes that THE song is also religious? What other details do we need to uncover?

Nothing. Here goes the *********SPOILER***********

The song is , indeed, a villancico named „Cucucú“ by Juan del Encina (1469 – 1526). Encina was a playwright (he is often called the founder of the Spanish drama). He wrote text and music for plays performed at the Duke of Alba’s court. For a short time span, he was the Chaplain of the Choir in the Cathedral of Salamanca. Later in his life, he became a priest and Prior of the Cathedral of León. He was also both a great composer and a poet, and the main contributor of the Cancionero de Palacio , a songbook of love-songs of villancico form.

In today’s Spanish, villancico means just a Christmas carol; however, in Encina’s time, its connotations were not so clear – it was just a popular song with a chorus, which could have many different topics – not necessarily religious but also satirical, love...

If our pious Granny has a notion of what today’s „villancico“ means, it could make her think it is a religious song. If she has not, and sees the programme, she would probably assume at least it is innocent (would you suspect an author who died in 1526 to be a ribald)? And if she just hears the song on the street? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrRV4oS6Y1Q&feature=related

Who would think that the angelical voices are singing this:

cucu, cucu, cucucu!
be careful it’s not you.

Mate, you should know
that even the best woman
is always wanting to f**k,
so tire out yours very well.

Mate, you must be careful,
never to be a cuckold,
if your wife goes outside to pee,
you go out with her.

cucu, cucu, cucucu!
be careful it’s not you!"

I hope you will enjoy the song in the excellent rendition of King’s Singers – it’s my absolutely preferred version. However, they camouflage the taboo word, but I’ve heard it performed without mispronouncing it, and the meaning is crystal clear whatsoever.

Thank everybody for participating in this puzzle, it has been a pleasure for me to host it.

And a special bonus for Oisin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko94b3I0X0Y
Oisin (Oisin)

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much! Not a song I had had heard before; I've now downloaded the complete King's Singers Madrigal Mystery Tour, although I doubt if there are any more surprising hidden gems on the album.
And the Monkees performing Riu Riu Chiu - now that was a surprise; and better than I would have suspected.
Thanks again for a very interesting puzzle!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: