[Gourami] Who Are You? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2009 » [Gourami] Who Are You? « Previous Next »

Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reading over Nimue's original scrund puzzles, I thought of a certain scrund I had for a long time, but it never made a difference in my case. Good thing I wasn't a prostitute, though.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL I just love the nonchalant way you threw in the last sentence of your puzzle statement.

Did you misunderstand the meaning of a particular word or slang word? e.g. Pimp? Whore? Hooker?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365 (Peter365)

LOL I just love the nonchalant way you threw in the last sentence of your puzzle statement. Well, it is a good thing...X)

Did you misunderstand the meaning of a particular word or slang word? Noish. e.g. Pimp? Whore? Hooker? No.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you mispronounce any word associated with prostitution. In Ireland many people pronounce the word whore as "who er" which almost fits in with how i'd pronounce your puzzle title i.e. who r u. So the puzzle title could almost read as someone calling someone a "who er" or whore ( i hope you can follow that).

Bet i'm miles of with this theory.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365 (Peter365)

Did you mispronounce any word associated with prostitution. In Ireland many people pronounce the word whore as "who er" which almost fits in with how i'd pronounce your puzzle title i.e. who r u. So the puzzle title could almost read as someone calling someone a "who er" or whore ( i hope you can follow that). No to all.

Bet i'm miles of with this theory. Indeed. But I like it, and thanks for the warning. I won't call any Irish people "who ers."
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... I have a theory...
Emailing.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really wanna know...
Who are you? Who, who, who who?

Who're you?
Smartyllama (Smartyllama)
Username: Smartyllama

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your name relevant?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Hmmm... I have a theory...
Emailing. Replied, you got it.

I really wanna know...
Who are you? Who, who, who who?

Who're you? Sorry,could you phrase that as a yes or no question?

Smartyllama (Smartyllama)

Is your name relevant? Nope.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems the MOST RECENT POSTS that appears when you edit your profile doesn't display apostrophes, so my question appeared as "Whore you"...
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you mistake a slang term of innocent meaning to have sexual connotations? Or, on the contrary, did you fail to see the sexual connotations present in a certain slang term?

If you had been a prostitute and employed this scrund, would it have merely lead to embarrassment? Make the customer less likely to have sex with you? Make it more likely that you'd be fired?

Am I right in assuming that this scrund is verbal - i.e. something that you would say to someone else? If so, who would you say it to: the customer? the employer/pimp? a fellow prostitute? a third party in describing your line of work? the police? your parents?

Would it imply that you didn't want to have sex? Had an STD? Would it have been taken by the recipient of the comment to be an insult? Directed at them?
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 438
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just realised that you only replied "noish" to 'did you misunderstand a particular word or slang term'. Can you please, then, whenever I say "slang term" above, replace with "word" / "phrase" / "sentence" / "idea", if any of these previous words are more appropriate. If none of them are, feel free to ignore th. Thanks :-)
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

It seems the MOST RECENT POSTS that appears when you edit your profile doesn't display apostrophes, so my question appeared as "Whore you"... Hah, irony. =)

Logician (Logician)

Did you mistake a slang term of innocent meaning to have sexual connotations? Or, on the contrary, did you fail to see the sexual connotations present in a certain slang term? No slang term involved.

If you had been a prostitute and employed this scrund, would it have merely lead to embarrassment? No. Make the customer less likely to have sex with you? No. Make it more likely that you'd be fired? Yesish, keep asking about consequences.

Am I right in assuming that this scrund is verbal - i.e. something that you would say to someone else? Hm. I'll say yes. If so, who would you say it to: the customer? This. the employer/pimp? a fellow prostitute? a third party in describing your line of work? the police? Thisish. your parents?

Would it imply that you didn't want to have sex? No. Had an STD? No. Would it have been taken by the recipient of the comment to be an insult? Possibly, irrelevant. Directed at them?

Just realised that you only replied "noish" to 'did you misunderstand a particular word or slang term'. Can you please, then, whenever I say "slang term" above, replace with "word" / "phrase" / "sentence" / "idea", if any of these previous words are more appropriate. If none of them are, feel free to ignore th. Thanks :-) No prob. Some questions didn't apply, but some were very relevant.
Hietek (Hietek)
Username: Hietek

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would it be the name of a sexual act? Would you have thought it wasn't a sexual act? that you had to do the opposite of what was implied by the name?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would appearing in court be relevant at all?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hietek (Hietek)

would it be the name of a sexual act? No, fortunately nothing that lewd. Would you have thought it wasn't a sexual act? that you had to do the opposite of what was implied by the name? No, but interesting. XD

Peter365 (Peter365)

Would appearing in court be relevant at all? Noish...
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

................RECAP

The scrund has nothing to do with slang, the name of sexual acts, my name, or incorrect pronunciation. The scrund is verbal, but I said "noish" to whether a word is being misunderstood: it's a concept that's being misunderstood. Explore the possible consequences of having the scrund. The police and court are involved in some way.
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the consequences related to the scrund-holder's job? home? family? friends? in a public place? in jail? in court?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaygee (Kaygee)

Are the consequences related to the scrund-holder's job? Yesish. home? family? friends? No to rest. in a public place? in jail? in court? Not sure if I understand...all these places may be involved at some point.
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one were a prostitute, and this same misunderstanding were to take place, would one be arrested? Would the misunderstanding make people believe or be in some way an indicator that the person was a sex worker?

When you say a concept is being misunderstood, do you mean something along the lines of "freedom"? or "logic"? I guess in other words, something whose definition is a bit vague or squigy about the edges?
Hietek (Hietek)

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

related to asking about if you charge a fee for sex?

terms such as ho/whore/prostitute/pimp?

Did you think only the person paying for sex could be charged?
Hietek (Hietek)

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

related to asking about if you charge a fee for sex?

terms such as ho/whore/prostitute/pimp?

Did you think only the person paying for sex could be charged?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

If one were a prostitute, and this same misunderstanding were to take place, would one be arrested? YES. Would the misunderstanding make people believe or be in some way an indicator that the person was a sex worker? No.

When you say a concept is being misunderstood, do you mean something along the lines of "freedom"? or "logic"? I guess in other words, something whose definition is a bit vague or squigy about the edges? No, it is a fixed fact, but one that can be misunderstood.

Hietek (Hietek)

related to asking Yes... about if you charge a fee for sex? No.

terms such as ho/whore/prostitute/pimp? No.

Did you think only the person paying for sex could be charged? No.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund related to asking a question? Somebody asking you a question? You asking somebody else a question? Either?

Trying to narrow the possibilities here... Would the fact that could be misunderstood possibly be taught in an English class? science? math? economics? foreign language? history? civics? home ec? health? computer class? some other school subject?
Ontologicalcommitment (Ontologicalcommitment)
Username: Ontologicalcommitment

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If a prostitute were to employ this scrund, would she be arrested regardless of who the customer is? If not, is his profession relevant?

Would the customer be charged at all? Arrested? Would he be the one to alert the police?

Could this misunderstanding arise with any customer? Or would it take place only when there is something specific about the customer in the first place? Would it be triggered by something he says?

Is there a particular point during the customer-prostitute interaction the verbal expression which is relevant to the scrund would likely be uttered? If yes, would it happen when the prostitute approaches the customer? When he approaches her? During the intercourse? After the intercourse?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

Is the scrund related to asking a question? YES. Somebody asking you a question? You asking somebody else a question? Assuming I am the prostitute, this. Either?

Trying to narrow the possibilities here... Good idea. Would the fact that could be misunderstood possibly be taught in an English class? Unlikely...science? math? economics? foreign language? history? civics? Possibly...home ec? health? computer class? some other school subject? Unlikely to be taught in school, but civics, government or admin. of justice would be the subjects it's under.

Ontologicalcommitment (Ontologicalcommitment)

If a prostitute were to employ this scrund, would she be arrested regardless of who the customer is? No. If not, is his profession relevant? Yes.

Would the customer be charged at all? Assuming the possible situation did occur, no. Arrested? Would he be the one to alert the police? Yesish, explore.

Could this misunderstanding arise with any customer? Yope. Or would it take place only when there is something specific about the customer in the first place? Possibly, depends on the prostitute. X)Would it be triggered by something he says? Possibly.

Is there a particular point during the customer-prostitute interaction the verbal expression which is relevant to the scrund would likely be uttered? Yes. If yes, would it happen when the prostitute approaches the customer? Likely this, When he approaches her? or this. During the intercourse? After the intercourse?

What interesting questions this puzzle is bringing up...
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What interesting questions this puzzle is bringing up... Ahh the strange rabbit holes you lead us down, Gourami :-)

Is it related to something as simple as asking someone whether or not they are a police officer? You said yesish to the askee alerting the police -- would he actually be a cop in the possible situation involving the prostitute?

Would the misunderstanding make people believe or be in some way an indicator that the person was a sex worker? No. So would the crime that the prostitute might be arrested for in this situation actually be prostitution?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's my job. =)

Is it related to something as simple as asking someone whether or not they are a police officer? Exactly! You said yesish to the askee alerting the police -- would he actually be a cop in the possible situation involving the prostitute? Yes! Can you guess the misconception now?

So would the crime that the prostitute might be arrested for in this situation actually be prostitution? Yes.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with the fact that despite rumors to the contrary, cops do not actually have to answer truthfully when they are asked whether they are police officers?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly.

**************SPOILER
This puzzle is based on the common scrund that if a prostitute asks her john if he is a cop and he says no, she is automatically free from prosecution. The idea is that, if he really is a cop, his lie is a form of entrapment and if the case ever reached court, it would be thrown out due to faulty police procedure.

Of course, there is nothing that says cops have to tell the truth to the suspect they are pursuing. If they did, there'd be no such thing as undercover operations or stings. And it's a good thing I was never a prostitute while I held this scrund, or I would have been arrested by the first undercover cop I came across.

Also the STDs.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: